Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Leg Pain When Standing

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: lharrison
  • November 18, 2007
  • 01:37 AM

I am a 58 year old female who has undiagnosed leg pain and discomfort. Before I can finish my shower, my legs start to ache and I need to sit down. When I go shopping, I constantly search for a place to sit and rest my stiff, aching, legs. The pain is below my knees in the front and back of both legs. My doctor says it is caused by lack of use and excess weight.I was about 75 pounds overweight. Last April. I started dieting and exercising and have lost 41 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week now, but still suffer from the leg pain and discomfort. My trainer, at the gym, noticed that my legs would not straighten. My legs are bent at the knees and will not fully straighten out. Could this be causing my pain, or does anyone know of another possible cause? Please help, this is very discouraging.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I am a 58 year old female who has undiagnosed leg pain and discomfort. Before I can finish my shower, my legs start to ache and I need to sit down. When I go shopping, I constantly search for a place to sit and rest my stiff, aching, legs. The pain is below my knees in the front and back of both legs. My doctor says it is caused by lack of use and excess weight.I was about 75 pounds overweight. Last April. I started dieting and exercising and have lost 41 pounds. I exercise 5 days a week now, but still suffer from the leg pain and discomfort. My trainer, at the gym, noticed that my legs would not straighten. My legs are bent at the knees and will not fully straighten out. Could this be causing my pain, or does anyone know of another possible cause? Please help, this is very discouraging.I am discouraged because this has been posted for eleven days and not one person has responded. I have been noticing that my leg pain is consuming my entire leg now, from my hip down. My knees also ache and my legs seem to stiffen. Someone please give me an idea of what this could be. After walking about 25 mintutes, my legs just stiffen up, ache, and more or less, run out of gas!
    lharrison 3 Replies
    • November 28, 2007
    • 07:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I personally have no idea. First off, you should definately see you doctor again. Also, if possible, give us all a few more symptoms so we can try and figure this out :D A lot of diseases have symptoms you may not even think to talk about which may become key to figuring it out. As a layman giving advice, perhaps you could be dehydrated? That could cause stiffness after exercise. Try drinking more water and less soda if you drink it. Also you could just be burning out if you're dieting a lot and exercising. Your body can only burn so much body fat at once!
    not a fifty five 34 Replies
    • November 29, 2007
    • 04:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like some type of arthritis to me. Have you had any type of x-rays done? You should aslo check some simple things: Vitamin D (must be drawn on an empty stomach)PotassiumCalciumPTHThyroid panel (TSH, Free T4, Free T3, Anti TPO and Anti TG) You should also check:CRPSED rate WBC Just to see if you have any kind of inflammation going on. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2007
    • 04:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey, lharrison. Congratulations on the weight loss and change in lifestyle! I think a trip back to your doctor is overdue. If it were me, I'd say, "Okay, doc, ya told me that my leg pain was from the excess weight and lack of exercise. I'm exercising 5 days a week, I've lost more than half that weight. My legs are worse. So, what can you do to help me, because I took your advice and it didn't work." Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2007
    • 11:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for all of the replies in the last couple of days. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor and tell him to investigate more. You gave me the encouragement I needed!
    lharrison 3 Replies
    • December 1, 2007
    • 04:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am discouraged because this has been posted for eleven days and not one person has responded. I have been noticing that my leg pain is consuming my entire leg now, from my hip down. My knees also ache and my legs seem to stiffen. Someone please give me an idea of what this could be. After walking about 25 mintutes, my legs just stiffen up, ache, and more or less, run out of gas! i just submitted a very similar story and i too am getting no help.. keep in touch with me if you can..thanks
    betyboo 2 Replies
    • December 1, 2007
    • 04:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Look into circulation problems. PVD? I saw my Dr for the same & other symptoms & finally found to have Arachnoiditis but prior to that she did several tests for suspected circulation problems in legs & also MS. All tests including MRI & EMG were clear but I was eventually diagnosed. It seems sometimes when Drs order MRI & ask radiologist to rule out certain diseases or ailments, radiologists or the Drs viewing do not think outside the box & look for other possible rarely diagnosed conditions. We need to research as much as possible & enlighten our Drs to other possiblilties.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2007
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I finally went back to the doctor as some of you suggested. Thanks for the encouragement! I went to a different doctor, but I took the copy of my original xrays. The doctor said the first doctor must have never looked at the xray or report as it was very obvious that I had advanced stages of arthiritis. The xray showed stage 3-4 arthiritis with bone sturs covering my knees. The doctor was shocked to see that they were in such bad shape. He said if I went to an orthepedic doctor they would want to do 2 knee replacements now. :eek: At least I have an answer, but I can't believe the first doctor never gave me the results of the xrays.
    lharrison 3 Replies
    • December 14, 2007
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement