Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Itchy skin, white bumps, swelling.

Posted In: Skin conditions 57 Replies
  • Posted By: metal_head_019
  • October 5, 2006
  • 06:20 AM

So, in the last few months, my skin has been acting very very weird. I don't know what triggers it, but every now and then, atleast once or twice a day I have an itch attack. So, naturally, I scratch myself. Tiny weird white bumps pop up all over the place underneath my skin. Other times, when I scrape my skin on something, or scratch it against anything, or any pressure applied to my skin will make it swell up in that area. I went to a doctor and he told me I had "dermatoanaphisim", but I tried to search it up and I couldn't find anything on the subject. I am so confused, and rather... choked. Because of this skin condition apparently can't get tattoos, or piercings, and I plan to become a tattoo artist/piercer. It also seems as if I'm starting to bruise a lot easier too. My skin was never like this before!

Reply Flag this Discussion

57 Replies:

• i also have a simliar condition. for the past couple weeks i've been very itchy. sometimes i dont see anything on my skin, but othertimes i notice a tiny white bump surrounded by red (because i scratched the area). I first noticed them on my thights, and now all over. It's interesting because there are more on my right hand (im right handed). maybe we're allergic to something? i find its worse at night.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2006
    • 09:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes I have the same thing. It's nice to see someone else who has this. It goes and comes about 2 times a month. The first time I got the alergic-like reaction it was playing tackle football in a grassy field and the solution.. was jumping in a swiming pool. Amazingly it was gone after about 6 min of swimming around. Then it occured again after again when I felt nervous or flustered. Then sometimes after contact with wood and cardboard. I talked to a doctor and they didnt know ***t. I have not had it for about a month but still I want to know what "really" causes this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2006
    • 10:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went to the doc regarding similar symptoms, he thinks it's eczema... Itxhy scrotum sucks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 03:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • So, in the last few months, my skin has been acting very very weird. I don't know what triggers it, but every now and then, atleast once or twice a day I have an itch attack. So, naturally, I scratch myself. Tiny weird white bumps pop up all over the place underneath my skin. Other times, when I scrape my skin on something, or scratch it against anything, or any pressure applied to my skin will make it swell up in that area. I went to a doctor and he told me I had "dermatoanaphisim", but I tried to search it up and I couldn't find anything on the subject. I am so confused, and rather... choked. Because of this skin condition apparently can't get tattoos, or piercings, and I plan to become a tattoo artist/piercer. It also seems as if I'm starting to bruise a lot easier too. My skin was never like this before!Are you sure he didn't say dermatographism? What is sounds like!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 08:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had the same problem for about 8 months and it just seemed to appear out of the blue. you get extreme itching on parts of the body and it spreads all over. there are no rashes or marks of any kind until you start itching, then you come out in hives at the point of contact. these raised marks can last for about half an hour and look terrible. my doctor couldn't give me an answer and even give me bood tests which came up with nothing. i eventually stumbeld upon some posts on the internet from people with the same thing. it looks as if the condition is called dermographism meaning skin writing. it is a form of urticaria that when pressure is aplied to the skin ie itching or rubbing the skin comes up in hives. nobody is sure why it just starts up and how long it lasts or treatment. antihistamines don't do anything for me. does anybody have an answer?. it drives me mad
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I battled with the same rash and itchiness on my arms and hands for over a year and half now. the only thing that has made any progress, for me, was to change my diet. basically, a low-carb, high-protein, no yeast diet with little to no caffeine. my body was excreting poisons through this rash and I've discovered that the diet has started reversing the symptoms that were literally, at one point, taking over my entire body.The rash was spreading and getting worse because I was eating too much processed foods, sugars and yeast(alcohol) and was becoming sensitive to them.I think I've had some major toxicity problems, along with possible candidiasis and/or parasite, but I'm finally getting my life back.Seriously, pm me w/any questions. You should give the diet a try anyway because the american diet is the worst in the world. we eat too much crap and have too many health conditions that are linked to this as well as overprescription of antibiotics and steriods. You will know if this works for you within a week. Not saying you'll be cured in a week, but your symptoms and rash should diminish. I've been on it for a little over a year now and can tell I've got probably another year or two until I can say I'm cured (which, to me, is being able to drink a beer and have a slice of pizza again). It's only healthy anyway, you might enjoy losing some extra lbs. and eating fresh healthy greens and meats.this is my first post. I just found this site and wish I could have had a forum to discuss my pain with last year this time. It was crazy! I hope that I can help anyone here that may be going through what I did. I went to the Doctors and dermatologists, which I have no respect for expect for removing moles and warts, and took my health into my own hands because I knew I wasn't getting any progress. these doctors want to treat the symptoms and not find the root of the cause. that's why they prescribe topical creams and steriodst.sorry to rant but, seriously, this rash is not an external allergy. It's internal sensitivity manifesting itself as a rash, which is your body trying to filter it out.hope to help and get some additional answers here too.
    BobBarker 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also recently developed the same problem. I went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with dermatographism(skin writing disease). It first started about two-three months ago with being itchy all over my arms, neck, scalp, and trunk. If I would pick at my skin or scrape it with something the scratch would turn into a swollen red bump almost white at the center. I can scratch patterns into my arms. The bumps become hot and itchy. If I ignore them they go away in about 30 minutes. My dermatologist prescribed Atarax and I have been taking claritin and benedryl off and on. I don't want to be dependant on medication.I was wondering if anyone thinks dermatographism has anything to do with getting tattooed? My dermatologist suspects that my dermatographism could be related to being recently tattooed. I have been getting tattooed almost every other month since January. My doctor suggest that I check the MSDS sheets to see if I may be allergic to certain colors that contain metals. I hope this is not the cause since I could very well be allergic to something that is embedded in my skin forever. Does anyone else have a similar story or suspect it could be tattoo related?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you think that's bad? i was born with dermographism. I have to live with it every day of my life. It really sucks! i cant go swimming for more than 15 minutes without breaking out in hives. anything that applies pressure on my skin....the cold....water....yea. it really really really sucks. and you know, ive learned to live with it and everything...but now that im finding out that i probably cant get a tattoo makes this suck so much more! ill try going on zyrtec or something, but my goodness...that takes like 3 months for it to kick in! ahh, so upset right now
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 07:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Similar situation here - never had huge rash issues before, but few months ago my face swelled up and i broke out in hives from an allergic reaction to something. After a week and 4 different doctor visits and prescriptions, finally swelling went down with steroids and antihistamines.Since then I've been getting small hives/rashes around the neck. Diet seems similar, no new lotions, same environment (job and apartment) for few years. Recently, got a few scratches on my legs from snorkeling and hitting reefs. Inititally, the scratches swelled up - sensitive skin - but went down after half hour. A week later, I'm back from the trip and the scratches have turned into extremely itchy rashes... Is this all just sensitive skin that just developed??BOBBARKER - saw your post. Any advice or thoughts?? I'll try the diet, but my eating habits haven't changed recently, and I eat fairly healthy (although I do drink coffee and eat processed food...)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2007
    • 07:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Attn: Bob BarkerHello, I am a 20 year old female and on Jan 18th (3 days ago) I started getting the same thing described as everyone else on here, completely out f nowhere. It's already driving me crazy and ill do anything to make it stop. If you dont mind me asking, what are some examples of your diet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2008
    • 07:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please post your diet examples on the site, I would like to hear them as well.I have been suffering from a similar rash on my hands, forearms and lower legs (only) for several months now. These areas of my body will itch and after scratching, red, circular bumps rise up, some have white striations in it and look very dry, others are filled with clear fluid. Other than the insane itching, it looks awful. People ask me if I was bitten by bugs or just ask me what happened, and it sucks having to tell them I don't know :(Dermatologists have been unable to diagnoise it and treatments for eczema, scabies and lichen planus have been unsuccessful. Both internal and external.I've started washing with lye soap, and although I feel very clean, I don't think it is improving my skin condition.I'm going to start taking borage oil (for internal skin repair) and quercetin (antihistamine) supplements, hopefully they'll prove to be a bit more helpful.I wish I could see pictures of what others have for comparison, it's crazy that doctors can't diagnose this!Attn: Bob BarkerHello, I am a 20 year old female and on Jan 18th (3 days ago) I started getting the same thing described as everyone else on here, completely out f nowhere. It's already driving me crazy and ill do anything to make it stop. If you dont mind me asking, what are some examples of your diet?
    AquaXe 2 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I think BobBarker is probably onto the best alternative solution for this. I recently developed the symptoms most commonly listed here and after a week they began to lessen. One of the things I started taking, at suggestion of my acupuncturist, was Xiao Feng Wan, or Powder for Dispersing Wind-Evil. It could've been coincidental, but my symptoms started fading towards the end of a week of taking these tiny, all-natural pills. At the same time, I'm now partially convinced it is a candida related issue (http://www.goodbyecandida.com/), which is unfortunate. Unfortunate because the best remedies generally are strict diets of little to no yeast or sugar. Goodbye beer.So I guess it's time for a dietary restrictions, maybe some Xiao Feng Wan, and simple will-power not to itch former scratches.
  • Hi. Ok. Here is my deal. I have a reddish rash type swelling under my nose that has never itched. All the steroidal creams didn't help at all. Now I've got A LOT of irregular looking small raised white bumps all over the left side, the back and a small number on the right of my neck. I've been to the dermatologist and its been an ongoing issue since. Four doctors in the dermatology area have NO IDEA what it is. They are completely at a loss. They did a biopsy and they still have no idea. So they have done two more (including one from the swollen thing below my nose). Its a bit freaky that no one has a clue. It never gets any better. It looks like it might be spreading a bit down the back of my neck. It has been like this for around two months. I've never had it before and it doesn't really itch. But when it does itch.... its insane. So- any help from anyone who has had this or has this would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks.
  • I also recently developed the same problem. I went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with dermatographism(skin writing disease). It first started about two-three months ago with being itchy all over my arms, neck, scalp, and trunk. If I would pick at my skin or scrape it with something the scratch would turn into a swollen red bump almost white at the center. I can scratch patterns into my arms. The bumps become hot and itchy. If I ignore them they go away in about 30 minutes. My dermatologist prescribed Atarax and I have been taking claritin and benedryl off and on. I don't want to be dependant on medication.I was wondering if anyone thinks dermatographism has anything to do with getting tattooed? My dermatologist suspects that my dermatographism could be related to being recently tattooed. I have been getting tattooed almost every other month since January. My doctor suggest that I check the MSDS sheets to see if I may be allergic to certain colors that contain metals. I hope this is not the cause since I could very well be allergic to something that is embedded in my skin forever. Does anyone else have a similar story or suspect it could be tattoo related?i have dermatographism, for 6 years now, its really not all that bad, i take allegra for it and although i still swell up a bit, i dont actually itch at all anymore. yeah its terrible if i dont take the allegra, but i have come to not notice it at all when i do take it. but the main question i have is can i get a tattoo while having this disorder. my mother doesnt believe i should, however i really want one, and i did actually get my ear pierced without any problems at all, mainly because the allegra kept the swelling down a bit. so im curious, and my dermatologist kind of avoided the question last time i asked him, so if anyone knows, please respond.
  • this is in respond to bob barker. I have had this issue my whole life. It had gotten worse in the last 8 years and I was placed on claritin. That worked up to now and I am not able to get any antihistamine to work. My allergist suggested the meat and veggie diet. He feels that my body has way too much candida in it and by getting away from carbs, yeast, ect it will basically starve the candida out.
  • I have had this condition over a year as well and my doctor feels it is candida related. Has anyone been cured by a yeast free diet and how long did it take?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2008
    • 05:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ηi from Greece!! i have been diagnosed with skin writing(dermatographism) since last summer...the weird thing is that this allergy started EXACTLY one day after I had my first sexual encounter with my current girlfriend...but the dermatologist said that it's irrelevant...just a coincidence........anyways, i want to take a tattoo on my left inner forearm this christmas and i am not sure what to do
    alexkont 2 Replies
    • September 8, 2008
    • 01:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi guys, just wanna share something that I have learned from my mother in law.Some older chinese believe that it happen when our body is too weak or we eat too much 'heaty food' such as fried or roasted stuffs, or when we take too many medicine such as antibiotics (got too much toxic in our body). When it happen you shouldn't rub your skin, shouldn't expose your skin to wind, fan or air cond. (wear long sleeve shirt n trousers) and don't take shower if possible or take warm shower.You can try the traditional chinese way to cure the itchy skin. Crush ginger then put it in handkerchief or any clean cloth, pour some eucalyptus oil on d ginger then rub it gently to the affected skin. I have tried it before and it worked. Believe it or not, there is no harm to try, rite?Good luck.YY
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 16, 2008
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You can try the traditional chinese way to cure the itchy skin. Crush ginger then put it in handkerchief or any clean cloth, pour some eucalyptus oil on d ginger then rub it gently to the affected skin. I have tried it before and it worked. Believe it or not, there is no harm to try, rite?Good luck.YYSorry, I forgot one more essential thing. It's ginger and onion. Ginger only may not be so effective. Onion may be a bit smelly but after the itchy and bumps dissapear, you can have your shower. :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 06:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i have had the same problem for about 8 months and it just seemed to appear out of the blue. you get extreme itching on parts of the body and it spreads all over. there are no rashes or marks of any kind until you start itching, then you come out in hives at the point of contact. these raised marks can last for about half an hour and look terrible. my doctor couldn't give me an answer and even give me bood tests which came up with nothing. i eventually stumbeld upon some posts on the internet from people with the same thing. it looks as if the condition is called dermographism meaning skin writing. it is a form of urticaria that when pressure is aplied to the skin ie itching or rubbing the skin comes up in hives. nobody is sure why it just starts up and how long it lasts or treatment. antihistamines don't do anything for me. does anybody have an answer?. it drives me madI have had the same problem for 4 years now. My dermatologist has prescribed Zyrtec and Zantac together. Zyrtec has never worked alone but the the two together are wonderful.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 01:17 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement