Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Why am I always hot?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 19 Replies
  • Posted By: hotcarol
  • November 15, 2007
  • 10:14 AM

Compared with most people, I'm super tolerant to cold. The trouble is, I always feel uncomfortably hot and when any stress or anxiety is thrown my way, I perspire profusely. I'm 51 and post menopausal (by five years). I'm sluggish most of the time and I've been suffering from depression and too much weight for most of the past 10 years. I have a sedentry job but I walk my dog for 90 to 120 minutes a day -- rain or shine. I'm actually quite fit, despite my weight.

Both my mum and gran had underactive thyroids but my blood tests shows I'm at the low end of the normal range.

Someone suggested I make a record of my temperature which I've been doing for a week. Surprisingly, my temperature is a bit low -- it averages 36.4. I'd have thought this would make me feel cold.

Frankly, I'd put up with depression and fatigue and even my weight, if only I could be cool. My 'hotness' is really getting to me. My doctor suggests I wear cool clothes -- oh, if only I'd thought of that!!!! Can anyone suggest where this heat is coming from?

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Omg I know the feeling with always being hot! Just going from outdoors to indoors causes me to sweat.... I am talking pouring down. Its so embarrassing cus ppl look @ me and have even asked if I am sick. Even a low ended thyroid reading can cause symptoms tho. If you ever figure out what causes the problem...let me know cus I totally understand how you feel! Email me @ semi_alert@hotmail.com As EvErCat
    kitcat48 80 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 00:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Cat. Nice to know there's someone out there who understands the problem and doesn't automatically assume my 'hotness' is due to my weight or my age. (If I had £5 for every time I've been asked 'is it your age?', I'd be able to afford my very own, portable refridgeration unit!)I've hated the heat pretty much all my life. I remember an incident at Christmas when I was 15 when the family was collected around the open fire and sweat was pouring down my neck while my aunt demanded more rugs to wrap around her! More recently, three years ago to be precise, when I was at the ideal weight for my height, I spent the entire summer boiling hot, red faced and glowing, and racing for shade or air conditioned interiors -- exactly the same as I did this summer, and I've put on four stones (bad, very bad) in the interim. Being so fat has made the heat problem worse, but only marginally. My husband's side of the bed is piled high with two duvets. My side has a cotton sheet. We make a joke about our incompatibility, but really this discomfort is getting me down and makes me feel worn out.If I ever discover a solution, Cat. I'll let you know. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas on causes or relief, please throw them my way!
    hotcarol 3 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 01:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You could have Graves Disease which is hyperthyroidism.Also you could have hypothyroidism and your thyroid is failing which could mean periods of hyperthyroid symptoms interspersed with periods of hypothyroid symptoms. These could occur monthly, weekly, or daily.When my thyroid took a dive recently, I had episodes of both hyper and hypo symptoms within the same day. If I moved around at all I'd sweat profusely. However, when I sat down I was ice cold with shaking chills even under a heated blanket and temperature in the house being 75 degrees! My temperature was between 95.8 and 96.8 degrees F.What was your TSH and the range?Were you also tested for Free T3 and Free T4? These are necessary to determine which type of thyroid disease you have. If these tests were in the low end of their ranges it could mean your thyroid is failing and you have hypothyroidism. Your TSH could be in the low end of its range even when you have hypothyroidism. That's why it's important for a doctor to use more than the TSH to determine your condition.You can read more about thyroid disease at the following websites:http://thyroid.about.com/http://www.thyroidmanager.org/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 05:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for that, Dxd. I'll investigate those two sites. Given my family history, I had kinda expected the thyroid to be the cause of my problems so when the test results came back 'negative' I was quite thrown.I don't know exactly what was tested or the range but I'll find out when I'm next at the surgery. Looks like I've some research to do before I get to the bottom of this.Thanks for your help.
    hotcarol 3 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for that, Dxd. I'll investigate those two sites. Given my family history, I had kinda expected the thyroid to be the cause of my problems so when the test results came back 'negative' I was quite thrown.I don't know exactly what was tested or the range but I'll find out when I'm next at the surgery. Looks like I've some research to do before I get to the bottom of this.Thanks for your help.Try researching on Traditional Chinese Medicine, you might be able to correct the problem w/o taking any long term drug with unwanted side effects.If I come across a possible explanation, I'll let you know.Best,Fruit.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Carol, I was wondering, if you look at your tongue in the mirror, is it red, white, purple, yellow, normal with some white coating?Also, what's your favorite food or favourite taste?
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Fruit.I'd say my tongue is purple/normal with a very faint white coating.As to food, I'm strictly a savoury eater. I love salt but exercise a lot of discipline with it. Favourite food? Probably cheese, or pasta or avocado.I haven't got the faintest idea what info that gives you, but I await your response with interest!Thanks.Carol
    hotcarol 3 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Fruit. I'd say my tongue is purple/normal with a very faint white coating. As to food, I'm strictly a savoury eater. I love salt but exercise a lot of discipline with it. Favourite food? Probably cheese, or pasta or avocado. I haven't got the faintest idea what info that gives you, but I await your response with interest! Thanks. Carol Thought I'd chime in here with Fruity:) , Purple tongue color indicates stagnation of Qi and/or Blood according to Traditional Chinese Medicine. When your Qi and Blood aren't moving smoothly, it is easy to generate heat - think of it like revving up the engine when you are in idle. The car isn't moving and will easily get overheated. Your body can be the same way... A good Oriental medical doc will be able to determine the cause of your overheating (and sometimes it is congenital, meaning you have had this since birth). Whatever the cause, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can really help bring the body back into balance. Cooling foods to try for food therapy are cucumber, mung beans, fresh fennel, barley or job's tears, watermelon(in summer). Try cucumber slices in your water. Try to not eat too many raw/uncooked fruits and vegies, as this can upset your "yin". Ginger, Red Ginseng, and hot spicy foods are too warming for you. Also I would cut out dairy and see if your symptoms improve...dairy, esp cheese, is very warming and mucus producing. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 07:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Very Funny, the Real doctor is in...LMAO, I am just aficionado :)Yes DOM, you stole the show :) That's exactly what I was thinking, that maybe cheese was too much right now;and I was thinking about cucumber as a cooling alternative.I think grains might also be difficult...and Yams might be very beneficial to clear damp and heat excess.Carol, you may want to try Yams.Do you also have pale scant urine? I wonder because salty food preference is sometimes a weakness of kidneys (and/or gallbladder?).Visit a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, they listen to eveything.****Tongue Examination: In addition to the pulse, the Chinese believe that the tongue is a strong barometer of human health. They developed an elaborate system to describe the condition of the tongue, including the color, texture, shape, size, and coating. A very red tongue indicates a fever or inflammation and is described in TCM as an excessive internal heat or dampness condition. A white tongue indicates some kind of deficiency of energy (Qi), blood, or moisture. In this system, each part of the tongue corresponds to the condition of an organ. The tip of the tongue, for example, represents the heart and lung organs.Best,Fruity.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 07:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this is a really good websitehttp://www.compassionateacupuncture.com/chinese__medical__dietary__recom.htm#DAMP_HEATFruity.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 07:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for that, Dxd. I'll investigate those two sites. Given my family history, I had kinda expected the thyroid to be the cause of my problems so when the test results came back 'negative' I was quite thrown.I don't know exactly what was tested or the range but I'll find out when I'm next at the surgery. Looks like I've some research to do before I get to the bottom of this.Thanks for your help. I have the same problem with being hot all the time. I have been taking prempro for the last 25 years. They didn;t help much. I have been cutting back on them for the last 3 months and as of Oct 1, I have not taken any HRT products. I am trying black cohosh now since Oct 1. Not helping. I heard that thyroid problems cause the body to be overheated. Well I had that test TSH t3 and t4 tests last week and my thyroid was in the normal range. For the past couple years, at my yearly check up they told me that I have fibroids, they have not grown much in 3 years, so last check up I didn;t have them checked. I have been reading about fibroids and now I am thinking that might be my problem with having the heat surges all the time. They can even cause urinery problems. I can be inside or outside in the cold or sleeping and they come all day and night. Have you been checked for Fibroids? I am about to go again and have them checked. I do not want to think that I will need surgery. But to get feeling normal again I would be willing to go through surery.
    Ledgerock 1 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 11:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have the same problem! I am age 37 female and can be hot walking across the room and back. This is something that I have battled for all of my life. I was just recently in the GNC store in the mall, so I ask what they could recomend. They suggested taking the pill form of sage. One pill per day year round. I am currently trying this. (Only week one!) Hopefully this info can help someone else. Julie
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 27yo in the process of trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I am always hot, tired and moody. In the past 5-6 months i have been very weepy too. I have also notice I am more thirsty too. I just got done with my Endocrinology appt and my levels are perfect. I had mine surgically removed in 02 and have been on Synthroid ever since. My doctor is testing cortisol, blood glucose and my vitamin d levels. When i get hot I start to tear up and I really have to force myself to not cry. If i get any answers i will post back....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 04:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Carol and all you other hotties ...suddenly, I have an exacerbation of this same problem that I've had all my life...but never to this extent. I also get a bright red hot face ...with sort of wings on the cheeks of redness that is very hot to the touch. I take ice packs and put on my face to cool down. I've also suddenly become very anxious...I do have anxiety but now I've been dxed with GAD, generalized anxiety disorder. I will be in my home minding my own business (usually a very safe place for me) and I'll suddenly feel horribly anxious and get the red hot spots on my face. I'm through with menopause and take 2 hormones still per day. BUT...I've recently been dxed with B6 TOXICITY (I take a lot of extra vits and minerals because I've had RnY gastric bypass)...but somehow I've managed to take too much B6. I'm also being tested for everything under the sun right now, including MS, myasthenia gravis, and now I'm being referred to a rheum to test for lupus and ankylosing spondylitis. I do have fibro dxed now for 15 years.It just seems odd to me that suddenly my body seems to be totally freaking out on me. So I sympathize with you, Carol and the others! If I get to the bottom of this hot all the time issue, I will post here again!Best,KittySpot:rolleyes:
    KittySpot 3 Replies
    • October 3, 2009
    • 01:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Compared with most people, I'm super tolerant to cold. The trouble is, I always feel uncomfortably hot and when any stress or anxiety is thrown my way, I perspire profusely. I'm 51 and post menopausal (by five years). I'm sluggish most of the time and I've been suffering from depression and too much weight for most of the past 10 years. I have a sedentry job but I walk my dog for 90 to 120 minutes a day -- rain or shine. I'm actually quite fit, despite my weight.Both my mum and gran had underactive thyroids but my blood tests shows I'm at the low end of the normal range. Someone suggested I make a record of my temperature which I've been doing for a week. Surprisingly, my temperature is a bit low -- it averages 36.4. I'd have thought this would make me feel cold. Frankly, I'd put up with depression and fatigue and even my weight, if only I could be cool. My 'hotness' is really getting to me. My doctor suggests I wear cool clothes -- oh, if only I'd thought of that!!!! Can anyone suggest where this heat is coming from?I have always been warm myself, and really dislike hot weather. I am 56 and in the last 5-6 years have become too warm too often. My scalp is usually wet, and the sweat will be dripping down my back when no one else is even bothered. I thought it was hot flashes, but they weren't flashes at all. I'd just get hot and stay hot for the rest of the day. I have fans all over the house and in my office, but my work doesn't allow me to spend much time sitting in my office. Then, last year I started a diet (I have a good 100 lbs to lose) and as soon as I gave up the refined carbs my heat problem just disappeared, well before any significant weight loss had occurred. I was ecstatic! And sure enough, when the diet fizzled, the heat came back. So, for what it's worth, I am inclined to believe that our diets lead to an intercellular inflammatory response (The Fat Resistance Diet, by Leo Galland MD) and for some of us, we experience it as excess heat. Just another reason to eat right.
  • I am 29 years old, and i sweat all the time. I am not too over weight but probably over weight by about 20 pounds or so. The past two weeks i have been jogging and working out... I have a 4 year old daughter and i wnat to have another baby. It's close to that time of the month for me. However I have been burning up lately, breaking out into sweats! Its nasty! Why? Is my body going through a change already?
  • I've read about alkaline and acidic foods lately and there are some charts online ... cucumber is alkaline and milk and cheeses and meats are acidic fish is the least acidic . But goat milk is actually nuetral or alkaline oddly enuf.. anyways basically plants alkaline animals not" mostly " ... thought you might benefit looking into this
  • Hi Carol and all you other hotties:I too have been hot all my life. I thought it was attributed to having lived in the far north most of my life but now at the ripe old age of 62 I realize that I haven't lived up there for 4 decades. About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with candida. I have probably had this most of my life. I'm not to hopeful of ridding my body of it now but I hope to control the symptoms. The candida diet is free of all sugars, starches, dairy (except of butter, thank God!), yeast and anything fermented. I have found that whenever I stick to that diet strictly my body heat goes down (yeah!!!) and I have relief from the constant heat I feel. Whenever I deviate from the diet adding any carbohydrates, my internal heatilator is turned up. As soon as I begin to "cheat" I get no mercy from my body. I have since developed many recipes to mimic those warming foods.I'm thinking that the carbohydrates are making me hot not to mention worsening the candida.I hope this helps someone.
    Janeanne 1 Replies
    • February 5, 2013
    • 01:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Candida! I have been hot since I delivered my first child 17 years ago and they gave me IV antibiotics. I was not overweight then but I would sweat and, yes, my temp runs low too. I have had my thyroid tested and, even though I am "normal," my free thyroid is a bit low so they put me on a low does of synthroid. Does nothing. I finally figured out that it is Candida and, when I stick to a candida diet - no refined sugars mainly - the heat goes down immediately. But then I'll have, say, a beer and boom I am dripping in the restaurant (yeast). I can drink wine and not have that problem so it's not the alcohol. When I stay away from wheat bread, I am fine. Have a sandwhich and I sweat for days. I take copious amounts of acidphilus (two different kinds) plus goldenseal and other anti-fungal supplements. They help as long as I stay awaway from wheat and sugars and other yeasty things. Not the answer I wanted but look up Candida Diet and see where you get. Oh! I did my student teaching in a moldy classroom and I was a sweaty mess the entire time. So watch environmental fungus too. No mushrooms either.
    katieorlopp 1 Replies
    • August 18, 2013
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement