Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Unexplained purple bruise-like spots on thighs

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 27 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 14, 2007
  • 09:43 AM

For the past month and a half, purple bruise-like spots have been appearing on my thighs. I've had about 4 consecutive sets of different spots on my thighs that'll appear and then disappear within a week or so on different parts of my thighs. I press on them to make sure they are not bruises and notice no typical range of discoloration that occurs with bruises. They fade in, out, then disappear the same color. I have already gone to the doctor and they have analyzed my blood and found nothing wrong. I do not have any history of blood disorders in my family and I do not have any problems bleeding or clotting or anything.

This has never happened to me and while the doctor says nothing is wrong I can't help but worry because this is highly abnormal.

While it may be unrelated, 2 other changes have occurred within the span of a couple of months to my body. During my semester at college this past spring, I was very sleepy all the time. I slept for very long hours and had problems getting up for class. Regardless of how many hours I slept, I would still feel the need to sleep. Since I went home for the summer until now, this hasn't happened. It just stopped on its own.

Also, around August, my skin began to itch a lot. It was nothing serious at first but a couple of weeks before the spots started showing up, the itching was almost unbearable to the point that I look like a mad woman scratching my legs, getting scabs and everything from scratching so hard. A friend suggested that I have eczema (which I have never had before in my life) but I nonetheless bought medicated lotion for eczema and while the itching stopped momentarily, it still did not help completely because I still have those fits sometimes. For the past week or so I've been using Aveeno Skin Relief but still get sporadic fits of scratching, however, the intensity and duration has significantly gone down since a month ago.

I do not know if these two incidens are related but all of these incidents have been odd and have occured within a span of a couple of months. Please let me know anything that my help me figure out what is wrong. I need to know if it is actually a condition or disease of some sort so I can take care of myself sooner, rather than later.

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

27 Replies:

• The spots sound alot like something called purpura. Pupura is a common and uspeciific symtpom, but the underlying cause is usually one of the following: Platlet disorder such as thrombocytopenic purpura or secondary thrombocytopenic purpura. Vascular causes like microvascular injury (mostly seen in fragile and elderly people), hypertensive states, deficient vascular support, vasculitis and coagulation disorders. It is also seen in autoimmune diseases, and sometimes it is idiopathic, meaning cause is not known. The fatiuge you experienced could very well be a part of the big picture, but it is also a very common symptom and these 2 symptoms alone are not enough to tell what is going on. There is however an allergic cause of purpura called Henoch-Schonlein purpura where you develop an itcy skin rash... You can read about that here:http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/allergic_purpura.jsp Keep taking notice of any symptoms you might have and contact your doctor if anything else shows up. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 08:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Where does the rash appear? Is it one sided? Antibodies from a virus can be responsible for causing circular purple like bruses. I forget the medical word for it...but tell me more about the rash.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 03:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The spots sound alot like something called purpura. Pupura is a common and uspeciific symtpom, but the underlying cause is usually one of the following: Platlet disorder such as thrombocytopenic purpura or secondary thrombocytopenic purpura. Vascular causes like microvascular injury (mostly seen in fragile and elderly people), hypertensive states, deficient vascular support, vasculitis and coagulation disorders. It is also seen in autoimmune diseases, and sometimes it is idiopathic, meaning cause is not known. The fatiuge you experienced could very well be a part of the big picture, but it is also a very common symptom and these 2 symptoms alone are not enough to tell what is going on. There is however an allergic cause of purpura called Henoch-Schonlein purpura where you develop an itcy skin rash... You can read about that here:http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/allergic_purpura.jsp Keep taking notice of any symptoms you might have and contact your doctor if anything else shows up. Hope this helps... KieraI too have had for over three months now a "group" of spots forming over mainly my legs. They are quite large and I believed at first that these were allergy spots or possibly stress. They formed clumbers over my torso for a while, particularly affecting scar tissue and were incredibly itchy and agressive.The spot clumbers are now mainly on my legs, are quite hot to touch, very itchy (I take two anti-histamines a day) and bruise within a couple of days. Recently, bruising has appeared near the spots. I have also noted that the itch is not now always a spot but is sometimes a red inflamed mass with no raised tissue.The bruising is quite worrysome as I do not generally bruise easily.I have recently been diagnosed as being "on the change" and started on HRT within the last three weeks - is this related?I feel like the itching is never going to stop - its driving me mad. It gets so bad sometimes that I take a hairbrush to my skin to ease the itch!Please help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have been crazy itchy over the past few months- it started with my back and now has spread to my butt, thighs, and legs and basically everywhere else. I cannot stop itching.. Especially at night. We originally thought it was carpet bugs as we found one in my room a few weeks ago and have deep cleaned my room many times since to no avail :( Tonight, i got in the shower and happened to look at my thigh and saw the stretch mark like bruselike, purple rash thing everyone is talking about! Its not itchy specifically but im still crazy itchy. It doesnt hurt, and i wouldnt of even noticed it if i wasnt lucky. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? Please help.
  • Wow, this is so crazy. I was actually researching what the purple bruise like things on my upper thigh were and your post totally amazed me. The days prior to noticing the bruises, I too, experienced unbearable itching in my back, legs, arms, it seemed like almost everywhere. It also occurred only in the evenings or at night. I had just purchased a new body wash and, even though I didn't really think it was the cause, I stopped using it. I definitely didnt consider the two issues being related. At first, it was just one set of bruises and I noticed a second today; they are on my upper right thigh. I am an advocate of exercise and cycle daily in addition to lifting wiehgts. I am also an insulin dependant diabetic with high blood pressure. I've noticed that most info I have found is associtated with obesity, old age and lack of exercise which none apply to me. I am 30 yrs old. Any ideas.
  • I have been crazy itchy over the past few months- it started with my back and now has spread to my butt, thighs, and legs and basically everywhere else. I cannot stop itching.. Especially at night. We originally thought it was carpet bugs as we found one in my room a few weeks ago and have deep cleaned my room many times since to no avail :( Tonight, i got in the shower and happened to look at my thigh and saw the stretch mark like bruselike, purple rash thing everyone is talking about! Its not itchy specifically but im still crazy itchy. It doesnt hurt, and i wouldnt of even noticed it if i wasnt lucky. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? Please help.Have u checked your kidneys! Very important
  • Wow... this is totally bizarre! I just noticed a really weird bruise-like purple spot on my torso, and I was kind of freaked out by it because I have not been injured or anything. The fact that it is so brightly colored made me want to google it. Anyways, I came across this and I am really spooked now because for over a month I have been struggling with hives (or something like hives) all over my body. I have never had anything like this in my life... then all of a sudden, just over a month ago I became very, very itchy. At first it was gradual... it started off on my feet and hands (very annoying, constant itch) then after a few days it was all over my body. I honestly felt a little crazy, because it was so itchy I could not sleep and there was literally nothing I could do to ease the discomfort. I ended up going to a hospital to see if there was anything that could help, and the doctor suggested trying different anti-histamines and he also gave me a small prescription for prednisone, which is a kind of steroid. I took a few within a week, and although the hives (or whatever they were) did not go away fully, the very urgent need to itch did go away, which was a relief. Now as long as I stock myself up with anti-histamines (I find that "Relieve" brand name works best for me) it is at least tolerable.Anyways... I am really starting to think that these are just symptoms of something else, and that is what is concerning me... especially now that I found this page, and you have the same two symptoms!!I have a doctors appointment in a week and a half, and I will be having some bloodwork done and whatnot... so I will keep you posted if it turns out to be anything.
  • Where does the rash appear? Is it one sided? Antibodies from a virus can be responsible for causing circular purple like bruses. I forget the medical word for it...but tell me more about the rash.Is not a rash is like a baketball big purpel spot on the back of mt leg.
  • Is not a rash is like a baketball big purpel spot on the back of mt leg.i too have had this uncontrollable itching the past couple of months. this morning I noticed the deep dark bruise like spots on my inner upper thigh. I am relieved to find this page and learn that i am not the only one but still am completely freaked out. the i only difference i can see between me and the other bloggers is that i am male and most of you all seem to be female. any information would be appreciated
  • Everyone that's been itching- scabies? I've been itching like crazy for the past couple of months and recently found out it was scabies- treatment really helped a lot. Interestingly, I've been bruising around my thighs as well- but that seems to be unrelated.
  • I have been crazy itchy over the past few months- it started with my back and now has spread to my butt, thighs, and legs and basically everywhere else. I cannot stop itching.. Especially at night. We originally thought it was carpet bugs as we found one in my room a few weeks ago and have deep cleaned my room many times since to no avail :( Tonight, i got in the shower and happened to look at my thigh and saw the stretch mark like bruselike, purple rash thing everyone is talking about! Its not itchy specifically but im still crazy itchy. It doesnt hurt, and i wouldnt of even noticed it if i wasnt lucky. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? Please help.I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I have had the exact same symptoms for 2 weeks now. I have red/ bruised looking patches on my thighs in irregular patterns (patches and stripes on my legs). I went to three doctors and no one had a clue. I had blood work done.. normal. I have no other medical problems that could have caused these symptoms.. I am 26 and healthy. I finally went to a dermatologist and he immediately knew exactly what it was. He asked if I had been on vacation or having drinks on a patio lately (it is summer time). I said the day this appeared I was having some Coronas on a patio. He said these were burns caused by a reaction between the lime and the sun. He says he sees it fairly commonly in the summer time. This also explains the irregular shape to them. I can actually see where the lime juice had dripped on my leg. Anyways he prescribed a cream that was way to expensive so I am using hydrocortisone cream and keeping my legs out of the sun.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have been experiencing similar issues too! Only mine are temporary. It starts out with my face getting hot and then my shoulders and arms and back. They turn bright red like a sunburn. Then my legs between knees and ankles get this weird purple color kinda snaking all around them. It looks like bruising. It's not painful just looks horrible and dark purple. Then I get itching all over. The whole episode will last about 20-30 minutes, then goes away like nothing ever happened. It's really weird. No raised areas like hives or blisters or rashes. Just red like sunburn and purple like bruising. Anyone get any answers yet?
  • Hello,I just wanted to say that I had the same rash symptoms with the bruising and crazy itching and it turned out to be Henoch-Schonlein Purpura, a form of vasculitis. I was convinced at first that something was biting me, but then there were more itchy bumps and soon a bruising rash on my thigh, and suddenly I realized I wasn't dealing with bites.You might want to check your symptoms on some websites and see if it fits. Just copy the name above and do a search, there are a lot of sites and pictures too. I had other symptoms that came after the rash started, intestinal problems, nausea, headache, swelling of my ankles. But I had the rash for a week before those other symptoms really started. However you don't have to have those other symptoms at all to have HSP, you can have just the rash. It is so itchy for me, as I get hives too. Then after a few days, they turn dark and purplish, then to rust color, then fade. Then on my legs I had some rash with the small tiny little bruises all over the place. Those bruise mesh looking rashes can be some form of vasculitis and are typically called "Purpura" Contacting your doctor might be a good idea. HSP can last 4-8 weeks. I am on week 3, and the rash is not yet better though the other symptoms have eased up a lot. As for male or female, they say it occurs most often in males, often in children, but females and adults get it too. I am female and adult. Claritin has helped me deal with the itching, but most other antihistamines should work too. You have to be careful with this, because sometimes there is kidney involvement and you might not have any symptoms. I have to get tested weekly, so far my kidneys are fine. Take care all!i too have had this uncontrollable itching the past couple of months. this morning I noticed the deep dark bruise like spots on my inner upper thigh. I am relieved to find this page and learn that i am not the only one but still am completely freaked out. the i only difference i can see between me and the other bloggers is that i am male and most of you all seem to be female. any information would be appreciated
  • To the person who had itchiness that was crazy at night and has had it for months.. You should probably go to the doctor and get checked for Scabies. Although, it sounds uncommon, and you probably think only dirty people get it, it's easily spread to other people. By contact.. The treatment is simple, but you should get diagnosed. Just a possible thought, hope it helps!
  • hi,i have small bruises over my legs i have had them for 7 months now. During the day they look liked faded bruises however after the shower they become raised red lumps as well as bruises. Been doctors on numerous occasions only to be told they don't what it is and have never seen anything like it before. I have now been refereed to a dermatologist for further investigation. Has anyone else suffered with this. They don't itch or hurt at all. I had blood tests done in April and everything was normal.
  • Google Pityriasis Rosea and Herald's Patch (larger patch that usually appears before the rest). I know someone who had something similar and it was Pityriasis. I currently have bruise dots on thighs. Wondering if could be issues thyroid.
  • Just wondering, have you people been gaining weight? Sometimes stretch marks show up as purple bruises, especially on the thighs and abdomen.
  • I'm a 32 year old female that has what looks like quarter size, unexplained, purple-ish bruises on the inside of my thighs. They don't hurt, itch, or feel hot. But I am suffering from insomnia, weight gain (approx. 10lb) within a month, and extreme stomach pain. I currently have 3 on my right and 1 on left. I heve an appointment Aug 15. just noticed them today while drying off.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2011
    • 05:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same bruise like spots but i do not have the itching, i just noticed my spotted spot like 30 minutes ago, i am pretty freaked out about it. i also find it weird that the person who just replied to this said to check kidneys, i have pain in my kidney area all the time if i drink even just one or two sodas. maybe i should get that checked.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 17, 2011
    • 08:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i too have had this uncontrollable itching the past couple of months. this morning I noticed the deep dark bruise like spots on my inner upper thigh. I am relieved to find this page and learn that i am not the only one but still am completely freaked out. the i only difference i can see between me and the other bloggers is that i am male and most of you all seem to be female. any information would be appreciatedCheck out gluten intolerance. http://www.celiac.com/articles/129/1/Thrombocytopenic-Purpura-and-Celiac-Disease/Page1.htmlYour symptoms may be consistent with Celiac disease, which doctors miss a lot.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2011
    • 02:26 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement