Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Blocked Infierior Vena Cava

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Charlie Mac
  • November 13, 2007
  • 04:56 AM

I had a Simon Nitinol (not a greenfield) filter placed in my infierior vena cava in 1998. I had 3 pulmonary embolisms and experienced several DVT's (blood clots) which ruined the veins in my legs and blocked my infierior vena cava completely. Because of this I have little veinous flow in my lower extremeties. To complicated matters worse is I am a paraplegic and cannot exercise with my lower body. I have gross adema (swelling) in my legs and thighs. This has also brought on additional weight which has made me a diabetic. To further complicate things I am insulin resistant and have to consume more than 400 units of insulin a day which has increased my weight to over 400 lbs. I have had bilateral cellulitis several times and have really used alot of antibiotics and am wearing them out. I am 53 years old and want to live to see my grandchildren grow up.

I was hoping someone out there can help me find a good doctor or someone that can offer me some hope. I was told that in order to correct this problem I would have to undergo an operation which harbors a 25% chance of killing me. I am a Viet Nam Veteran and have Medicare but no other insurances. Someone please help me...:( :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement