Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Blocked Infierior Vena Cava

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Charlie Mac
  • November 13, 2007
  • 04:56 AM

I had a Simon Nitinol (not a greenfield) filter placed in my infierior vena cava in 1998. I had 3 pulmonary embolisms and experienced several DVT's (blood clots) which ruined the veins in my legs and blocked my infierior vena cava completely. Because of this I have little veinous flow in my lower extremeties. To complicated matters worse is I am a paraplegic and cannot exercise with my lower body. I have gross adema (swelling) in my legs and thighs. This has also brought on additional weight which has made me a diabetic. To further complicate things I am insulin resistant and have to consume more than 400 units of insulin a day which has increased my weight to over 400 lbs. I have had bilateral cellulitis several times and have really used alot of antibiotics and am wearing them out. I am 53 years old and want to live to see my grandchildren grow up.

I was hoping someone out there can help me find a good doctor or someone that can offer me some hope. I was told that in order to correct this problem I would have to undergo an operation which harbors a 25% chance of killing me. I am a Viet Nam Veteran and have Medicare but no other insurances. Someone please help me...:( :confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement