Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Joint and muscular pain after taking chantix

Posted In: Muscle conditions 2,541 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 4, 2006
  • 05:05 PM

Hi,

I took the new pill chantix to try to quit smoking about 8 weeks ago. 3 days after taking it I started to feel weak and sore. After 8 days I could hardly move, I was in pain everywhere. I stopped taking it and went to my Doctor, who said I have arthritis, and the chantix had nothing to do with it. However, before I took it I was in perfect health, I am 51 years old and very active. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't believe I have arthritis, the pain has decreased but is not gone.

Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I had very bad joint pain, and severe depression from Chantix. Called pharmacist and was advised to stop taking it immediately.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2006
    • 06:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 58 year old female. I started taking Chantix October 13, 2006 and had my last cigarette October 22. When I started taking the blue pills, I began to feel weak and to ache, mostly in my upper back and shoulders. Although I have also experienced mild nausea, this hasn't kept me from taking the drug. Because Chantix worked and seemed to give me the impetus not to smoke, I am hesitant about stopping it but am beginning to feel so crummy physically that I'm thinking of doing it. I only hope I'm far enough into quitting that I can maintain sobriety without the drug if I choose to stop it. The pain reminds me of how I felt taking the cholesterol-lowering drugs such as Zocor, etc. Was really painful and miserable.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 31, 2006
    • 03:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too started having very bad pain around my shoulder blade and all throughout my left arm. I only took the medicine for three days. I am still experiencing the pain after 2 months. I had no problems prior to this and I'm only 31.
    04paul04 1 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 09:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am also having extreme shoulder pain which will also travel down my right arm at times. kindof like carpal tunnel I think... I started chantix a week and a half ago I think I have to stop and see what happens. the pain in too much.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2006
    • 03:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have sholder and neck pain as well. It is my understanding that the FDA rushed to get this drug on the market because of the effects smoking has on society. Could it be possible that these symtoms are irreversible? I took the drug for 4 weeks and feel confident about not smoking. I am supposed to take it for 12 weeks but due to these discoveries I am stopping it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2006
    • 01:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am following up with my last message. A little more info this time. Im a 37 year old male. I stopped tacking chantix after 4 week to see if the neck and shoulder pain would go away. I am happy to say that it did. I am also still smoke free. I highly recomend this drug to quit smoking. You may have to deal with some uncomfortabilty but if you keep smoking you will die 5-10 years sooner than if you dont.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 01:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • well i took chantix for 18 days. i quit smoking on the day 7. pains started on day 10. doctor recommended i stop the treatment (day 18). pains went away 7 days after i stopped the medication. i am 39, athletic, but have a history of arthritis. i had been having some back pain leading up to this. but i have never had pain in my shoulders and neck like this. constant pain, even when just lying there. at least its gone now and i have not gone back to smoking. btw, doctor said he does not think there was a connection between chantix and the pain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 00:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Have any of you had your Thyroid function tested? Smoking tends to mask the symptoms of Hypothyroidism, and only after quitting smoking, many patients will suddenly feel the effects of Hypothyroidism, namely joint and muscle pain (with no arthritis), fatigue, weight gain, etc. etc. Maybe it is not the Chantix, but the symptoms of low thyroid function? Advice: research the Thyroid forums first before accepting test results, as the base levels of TSH, T3 and T4 are changing worldwide. Your doctor may not be up to date with the latest information, and will probably tell you that your thyroid levels are normal when in fact they are not. Research it yourself.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 10:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Im 38 and I started the Chantix the week between Christmas and New Years...I had my last cig the day after....I have smoked for 27 yrs...and LOVE to smoke...but felt I was pushing the limits and it was time to try and quit....I have been smoke free for 10 days...I have had to overwhelming cravings...but they only happen 2 or 3 times a day...so I think im doing ok....My problem is...since I started it I have been in some kind of mild euphoric daze...I lay in bed...Im very calm and peaceful...my husbands loves it...but have had to enery to do anything else..anyone else having these kinds of symptoms...and see I forgot what I was going to ask about in the first place...joint pain...My hands and fingers and ankles are killing me...my knuckles are swollen and my ankle that I had recunstructed 3 yrs ago and never had any discomfort is throbbing...It had me up half the night....anyone having these kind of symptoms....euphoria or sore joints???Let me know, pleasejen
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 09:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started Chantex 4 days ago and have severe neck and shoulder pain. I called the drug maker and they told me to stop taking it and call my doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 04:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • started taking chantix 10 days ago woke up this morning with the most horrible stomache cramps it was like someone was inside me pulling everything out.also my memory seems to be slipping.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 07:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thank you for your information about Thyroid and quitting smoking! I have been telling my doctor for 2 years that I have thyroid problems and have had it tested 3 times. Now that the Chantix has gotten me off the cigarettes, I'm going to have him test it again! By the way, I didn't have any aches or pains from the Chantix that I haven't had for 2 years anyway. I haven't smoked since January 2 of this year and feel confident that I won't ever smoke again! I was one of these people who thought "I can never do this!" but have succeeded! Thanks for all the information though.Have any of you had your Thyroid function tested? Smoking tends to mask the symptoms of Hypothyroidism, and only after quitting smoking, many patients will suddenly feel the effects of Hypothyroidism, namely joint and muscle pain (with no arthritis), fatigue, weight gain, etc. etc. Maybe it is not the Chantix, but the symptoms of low thyroid function? Advice: research the Thyroid forums first before accepting test results, as the base levels of TSH, T3 and T4 are changing worldwide. Your doctor may not be up to date with the latest information, and will probably tell you that your thyroid levels are normal when in fact they are not. Research it yourself.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i started taking chantix in Oct.2006, after taking it for several weeks, my lower legs ached so much i concidered going to the Emerency Room at the hospital where i work. Within 2 weeks of stopping taking Chantix, my legs feel fine again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 06:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been taking Chantix for 4 weeks and have had no discomfort that you all have described. A little stomach upset now and then but nothing to make me stop taking it. My doctor suggests that I take it for a year, probably won't but I have the prescription for that long.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I took Chantix for 3 1/2 weeks (Dec 06- jan 07). I quit because of severe migrain headaches of which I have never had or even mild headaches. While taking the drug I at times felt like my head was in a microwave and my brain was sizziling. Its been over a been ofer a month now since I quit the drug and I still have the headaches. I also am now in severe depression (From headaches or Chantix?) I did also experience knee and joint pain although not severe. Still have this now, but I had arthritis to begin with. At this point though I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or its the drug. I have also been suffering from depression for many years but this drug, or the headaches seem to have brought on a severe case of it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 01:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • 31 year old male, took Chantix for the first time this morning. Normally completely pain free person, right now my lower back, right knee and all joints are uncomfortably painful. If you read the fine print on the pharmacology of Chantix you will see that it not only highly binds to nicotine receptors but also moderately binds to 5HT3 receptors. This 5HT3 binding is not intended but an unfortunate effect of the chemical itself. A little research on pubmed shows that with too much 5HT3 specifically (not the other Serotonin receptors 1-7) that there is research suggesting that these people have a disease called fibromyalgia. Other sites have identified 5HT3 as the "P" or pain receptor. Stimulating a receptor for too long and the body will make more of those receptors (i.e. Prozac). I am seriously considering discontinuing Chantix, I definitely will not be taking it for more than a couple months.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 00:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same 31 year old male, now on my second day. I am now in the euphoric daze that others have talked about with no pain at all. My mind will start to race then I fall back into this numb daze. Very odd drug, my body must be adjusting. Glad the all over body pain is gone for now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 9, 2007
    • 11:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so glad to have found this information. I started chantix two days after Thanksgiving. It worked for me and I have tried so many times before. Shorty after I started this medication I was getting a burning sensation in my feet and it by week 10 of taking chantix it was a constant burning and painful. I did stop taking it and after two days the burning stopped. Hoping to stay smoke free.Paula
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 08:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Im 38 and I started the Chantix the week between Christmas and New Years...I had my last cig the day after....I have smoked for 27 yrs...and LOVE to smoke...but felt I was pushing the limits and it was time to try and quit....I have been smoke free for 10 days...I have had to overwhelming cravings...but they only happen 2 or 3 times a day...so I think im doing ok....My problem is...since I started it I have been in some kind of mild euphoric daze...I lay in bed...Im very calm and peaceful...my husbands loves it...but have had to enery to do anything else..anyone else having these kinds of symptoms...and see I forgot what I was going to ask about in the first place...joint pain...My hands and fingers and ankles are killing me...my knuckles are swollen and my ankle that I had recunstructed 3 yrs ago and never had any discomfort is throbbing...It had me up half the night....anyone having these kind of symptoms....euphoria or sore joints???Let me know, pleasejenYes, lots of aches and pains in my neck, shoulders and lower back. I'm just beginning my third week of Chantix. My physician is telling me that it could be due to the Chantix's effect on my dopamine levels. She says if it isn't better in a week she will add cymbalta to my Chantix. It's an antidepression medication that is used by people with fibromylagia. She tells me that feeling relaxed or a little blue may be normal since dopamine is decreased.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 08:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • HI,I took Chantix for 8 days as prescribed. I was sick with a horrible chest cold, and sinus infection at the time. Therefore, it was not so hard to quit. The number of cigs I smoked daily dwindled until I smoked none on my 8th day. I have not smoked in 6 days now. After I quit smoking I started a 3 day prescription of Azithromyacin for my infection. I was beginning to think I was dieing from something until I read this blog. My head has been killing me and I NEVER get headaches. My shoulder blades have been so painful, I thought I was having a heart attack. I have been very depressed and crying off and on. I was very dizzy 2 days ago and could not get out of bed. I had a lump in my throat yesterday, my hair appears to be thinning, my skin is dry, and my chest cold/coughing and amount of phlegm expelled has not improved. I woke up this morning thinking that perhaps I had a horrible disease and was dieing. I feel better now that I have found this blog. I guess it is the side effects of Chantix and I can now look forward to getting better...I hope soon. I believe that I have kicked the habit and I dont feel the need to continue the medicine. I am going to use my will power from here on simply because I cannot take the side effects. Chantix gave me a good start but I will do the rest by myself. wish me luck...smoked for 40 yrs. female age 53 in Fl.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 01:53 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement