Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Abdominal discomfort when lying down

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: 28Mary38
  • November 10, 2007
  • 02:36 AM

I'm a 69 year old woman and for the past 3-4 years have had abdominal discomfort but only when I lie down. I have a tight/pressure feeling across my midriff and also some feeling of pressure on my right hand side. For some reason this discomfort (I can't say it is pain) only occurs when I am in a certain position - either on my back in bed, or when I stretch out with my feet up whilst watching TV.
I have had an abdominal scan and gastroscopy both of which were clear. My doctor is at a bit of a loss to know what this is.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• Hi, I too had this sort of problem many years ago, when I was 48, it ended up being adhesions, which is scar tissue that sticks to your organs and bowel etc, mine actually all intertwined together creating a ball that filled with fluid and got really huge and put pressure on everything inside, an ultrasound is probably what you need to rule it out, best of luck and I know the PAIN
    angelina678 1 Replies
    • November 10, 2007
    • 03:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks Angelina Mary
    28Mary38 3 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 03:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm a 69 year old woman and for the past 3-4 years have had abdominal discomfort but only when I lie down. I have a tight/pressure feeling across my midriff and also some feeling of pressure on my right hand side. For some reason this discomfort (I can't say it is pain) only occurs when I am in a certain position - either on my back in bed, or when I stretch out with my feet up whilst watching TV. I have had an abdominal scan and gastroscopy both of which were clear. My doctor is at a bit of a loss to know what this is. Does anyone have any ideas please?Do you take any drugs? How is your sleep? Do you suffer from anxiety or acid reflux? Do you have any difficulty eating raw food?Do you notice if it goes away if avoiding sweets, eggs or milk?How are your bowel movement.I was thinking that it might be the pancreas...the most overseen of all organs- and a very important one.Best,Fruity.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Fruity Thanks for the reply. Re the points you raised - all negative. I did have an ultrasound on my abdomen and everything was clear - including the pancreas. My doc now thinks it might be muscular. RegardsMary
    28Mary38 3 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 02:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Fruity Thanks for the reply. Re the points you raised - all negative. I did have an ultrasound on my abdomen and everything was clear - including the pancreas. My doc now thinks it might be muscular. RegardsMaryAny unrelated symptoms?Are you overweight, or do you take any drugs- prescription or over the counter?
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 02:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No I'm not overweight and the only drugs I take are the occasional paracetamol!I stick to a healthy diet and don't drink alcohol - perhaps I should!!!
    28Mary38 3 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 05:16 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement