Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Itchy, Tiny Bumps All Over

Posted In: Skin conditions 128 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 5, 2007
  • 02:47 PM

It's been going on for a month now. It started on my left arm, just above my wrist as a series of tiny reddish, raised dots. It's very itchy. Within about a week, it spread all over my arms. By about 2 weeks it has spread to my legs and some parts of my body (neck, back, under my breast, on my tummy). The worst parts are still on my arms. In the 3rd week, it got to my face a bit.

I've seen 2 doctors and 1 dermatologist. I've been given antihistamine and some steroid ointment. None of this gave me relief. The initial rash seems to fade away into very tiny raised dots (see pictures) and the new itch now appear like this. All over my arms except my actual wrist and hands now have this 'orange-peel' texture - or like a mini basketball surface. It's like having a permanent goose-bumps even on the part of the skin without hair. The dots in some areas are less dense. Compared the affected area with the wrist area that's not affected:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/ztampf/misc/20071103_0005.jpg

Now, one of the doctors and the dermatologist prescribed Semprex capsules (one after another) so I have been having this medication for almost 2 weeks now. I'm still itching. And the itch on my face got even worse... Although... it looks different from the rest. On my face it is reddish raised area (see pictures) and the skin there feels tender. Plus, my eyelids got swollen too... the left one is worse, it covers half of my left eye.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/ztampf/misc/20071104_0015.jpg

So I googled Semprex and found out that this allergy medicine itself could cause allergic reaction as well! One of the side effects is swollen eyelids...
http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?documentid=9183

I stopped taking Semprex but kept taking the evening medication (Hydroxyzine). The following morning the swelling was easing off and my overall condition improved. I felt better than I have been since I got this ithcy problem. So I thought I have found out that I'm allergic to Semprex. I simply stop taking it all together.

But lo and behold! This morning I woke up with huge swelling on both eyelids and a bit on my face too! Plus, I was itching like crazy during the night I had problem sleeping. The itch is mostly on my limbs. So I wonder, am I allergic to Hydroxyzine as well? Could it be that all the Semprex I've been taking for almost 2 weeks have wreck havoc to my body and now it became sensitive/allergic to antihistamine?

Now my skin has become very sensitive too. It's a real challenge to find clothing that won't irritate my skin. Any slightest rough material or seams would make my condition worse.

I found cool weather and open space to be of help a bit which is fortunate because now the weather is cool.

Nevertheless, I still have no clue on what has caused the itch on my arms, legs, body that has turned most of my skin into 'orange peel'. As far as I know, I didn't eat nor get in touch with anything new/unusual in the period before the itch started.

My living space is bright with plenty of sunshine and good ventilation. We have big windows that we open every day. We clean our place regularly too.

I have also checked my bed for bedbugs but I didn't see anything, i.e. blood stains or anything at all. I have also washed all the beddings with hot water. Still doesn't help me a bit. BTW, my husband doesn't get any of the itch I got, so whatever it is, it is not contagious.

Oh and I am female, 38 y.o. in good health aside from this condition. I'm not on any medication prior to this, and my weight is normal (slim).

My doc thought it could be something internal so I had some blood tests done several days ago, but the result won't be ready until next Thursday.

I wonder if any body here has similar experience with me, especially the 'orange peel' skin condition.

Thanks a lot for any info you might share here.

~f~

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • wow. finally maybe a glimpse of hope in cracking this mysterious rash.i have an identical rash on my arms as you do. i've had it for 3 months now. how strange that it is not on the wrists. i dont get it.i was prescribed the steroid cream, hydroxyzine, and some scabies medicine. the itching definitely went down after the scabies cream, but the rash still remains. i dont think i had scabies at all, however, because my boyfriend never got it and neither did anyone else in my household.i do not have the rash on my face. mine began on my legs. it was tremendously itchy for weeks. and through the multitude of non-itch creams, the only thing that relieved the pain was extremely hot showers. i know they aren't good for the skin, but it made me feel better for just those moments.i actually got the rash when i was in thailand. i thought it may be heat rash, but i've been in very hot and humid weather plenty of times, and when i compared it to pictures of heat rash, it didn't look like it...i just want my normal skin back. i've had it for so long, i'm getting worried it wont ever be the same...i need to get a blood test. i'm very curious to see what your results are...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2007
    • 05:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have an itch problem for more than a month now... Few years ago I started eating organic food and adopted the vegan lifestyle, then a month later i started having hives all over my legs and arms and some on my body too. I went to doctors, searched for alternative treatment and about two month or so later it went away. Back then I thought from a colon cleansing capsule because that's what I tried last.Never came back until now I went to visit my parents in another european country and being there I ate stuff that i haven't eaten in the past years, lots of dairy stuff, lots of "yummy" preservatives and artificial favors, and when I came back started my "old" vegan organic lifestyle, a month later i started developing the same itch problem i had the first time. This time they are more invisible, they are goosebumps like, small and itchy. Normally nobody would even notice just if they look at my skin harder. It is just like your arms. I don't have anything on my face. I tried the same colon cleansing but it's not working this time, maybe a little bit. Im totally with you, feeling like this will last forever and Im scared that always have to live like this... I hope not! It's really tiring, because it interrupts my sleep and I haven't slept well for a month waking up few times to scratch. I resist to take any medication, they didn't help last time, I doubt that medicines that only treat symptoms will solve my problem. I'm thinking of doing a few days fasting spree and clean my body out, we'll see what happens then. Please update your findings and the result of your blood tests, I really want to know what's up with you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2007
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, my blood test results are all normal and good. Next step in taking the Skin ****k Test....I was given scabies lotion too... but it only made my condition worse so it wasn't scabies for me either.This is very frustrating.~f~
    findingthecause 4 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 00:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • "Itching in Florida" - For the past few weeks since the itch I have been trying to cleanse my system by stop having chocolate and coffee and eating less meat and food with preservaties. It doesn't seem to help much so far.All the medicine I took only made it worse; either more ithcy or swelling or both. So now I don't take any med either. It's so scary that this thing could last for months without any aparent reasons. I will keep you all updated. Please do likewise - perhaps we can help each other here :).~f~
    • November 12, 2007
    • 00:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • "Itching in Florida" - For the past few weeks since the itch I have been trying to cleanse my system by stop having chocolate and coffee and eating less meat and food with preservaties. It doesn't seem to help much so far.All the medicine I took only made it worse; either more ithcy or swelling or both. So now I don't take any med either. It's so scary that this thing could last for months without any aparent reasons. I will keep you all updated. Please do likewise - perhaps we can help each other here :).~f~I remember back then when I talked about my problem most alternative person told me that this is the way my body cleansing, since I started eating organic food and stuff... I wasn't so sure, why always happens exactly a month later when Im starting it though... I'm sure something to do with that. It's a little strange though. I'm not worried that I might be sick, I feel great otherwise just this itching is killing me. What I use only is some minty - eucalyptus oil which i put on my skin before i go to bed. it helps me fall asleep but unfortunately it goes away in about two three hours and i wake up itching. I do fasting a couple of time a year, I might have to try doing that for a few days. I don't feel like it now I just did it two months ago, but that might help. Do you have any idea how you got yours? Did you change your lifestyle recently or you changed jobs or something?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 03:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm in Florida as well. I seem to have these same symptoms. Basically I noticed the bumps about 5 days ago when shaving, shaving seems to have either cause it to become more apparent or it was just that time for them to appear. The bumps are tiny, and they are almost not even noticeable unless they start to itch and then I scratch them and they become pink. Mostly it is centralized on one of my knees. There are a few random bumps down my leg to my ankle. It doesn't ALWAYS itch, just a few times a day. It hasn't spread, but I try to resist scratching as much as possible My mom looked at it and said she thought it was poison oak, because my father had it a few weeks ago. But my father said it doesn't look quite like his did, plus I lack the exposure as I have not been in any weeds or even grass for that matter. I've included a picture of what the bumps look like. Let me know how things go.
    Sweetlilgurl 4 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 03:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • reply to SweetlilgirlI checked out the picture and i think i have the same thing. My leg will start to itch, i will then itch it, then the bumps will start to appear. I've been using ivy dry but haven't had any relief. i'm not sure what the bumps are but if they dont go away soon i will be going to the doctors.I hope someone knows what it is so i can avoid a trip to the doctors
    ashley123 3 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 09:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yeah I wanted to avoid the doctors until my insurance kicked in, in another month. Hehe maybe it will go away on it's own, I can only hope! :eek:
    Sweetlilgurl 4 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 09:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yeah, i hope it will go away on its own. how long have you had it? also, do you have it anywhere else besides your legs. mine started on my fingers. i at first thought it was an allergic reaction to latex since i had to start wearing latex gloves for my job. however after doing research even though the symptoms seemed right the was this whole delayed reaction and immediate reaction thing that was talked about and i had both... so i dont really know. i just stopped wearing the gloves and am waiting to see if it goes away.
    ashley123 3 Replies
    • November 12, 2007
    • 10:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi i have the same problem thats comeing back once a year or two years my skin looks the same as on your pictures.I was told it is psoriasis i`ve try alot of medicine but the best i found is psoriasis gel you can find in walgreens ect.its the only one that wont burn and works great.Try that if wont help it will not hurt You. It's been going on for a month now. It started on my left arm, just above my wrist as a series of tiny reddish, raised dots. It's very itchy. Within about a week, it spread all over my arms. By about 2 weeks it has spread to my legs and some parts of my body (neck, back, under my breast, on my tummy). The worst parts are still on my arms. In the 3rd week, it got to my face a bit. I've seen 2 doctors and 1 dermatologist. I've been given antihistamine and some steroid ointment. None of this gave me relief. The initial rash seems to fade away into very tiny raised dots (see pictures) and the new itch now appear like this. All over my arms except my actual wrist and hands now have this 'orange-peel' texture - or like a mini basketball surface. It's like having a permanent goose-bumps even on the part of the skin without hair. The dots in some areas are less dense. Compared the affected area with the wrist area that's not affected: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/ztampf/misc/20071103_0005.jpg Now, one of the doctors and the dermatologist prescribed Semprex capsules (one after another) so I have been having this medication for almost 2 weeks now. I'm still itching. And the itch on my face got even worse... Although... it looks different from the rest. On my face it is reddish raised area (see pictures) and the skin there feels tender. Plus, my eyelids got swollen too... the left one is worse, it covers half of my left eye. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/ztampf/misc/20071104_0015.jpg So I googled Semprex and found out that this allergy medicine itself could cause allergic reaction as well! One of the side effects is swollen eyelids...http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?documentid=9183 I stopped taking Semprex but kept taking the evening medication (Hydroxyzine). The following morning the swelling was easing off and my overall condition improved. I felt better than I have been since I got this ithcy problem. So I thought I have found out that I'm allergic to Semprex. I simply stop taking it all together. But lo and behold! This morning I woke up with huge swelling on both eyelids and a bit on my face too! Plus, I was itching like crazy during the night I had problem sleeping. The itch is mostly on my limbs. So I wonder, am I allergic to Hydroxyzine as well? Could it be that all the Semprex I've been taking for almost 2 weeks have wreck havoc to my body and now it became sensitive/allergic to antihistamine? Now my skin has become very sensitive too. It's a real challenge to find clothing that won't irritate my skin. Any slightest rough material or seams would make my condition worse. I found cool weather and open space to be of help a bit which is fortunate because now the weather is cool. Nevertheless, I still have no clue on what has caused the itch on my arms, legs, body that has turned most of my skin into 'orange peel'. As far as I know, I didn't eat nor get in touch with anything new/unusual in the period before the itch started. My living space is bright with plenty of sunshine and good ventilation. We have big windows that we open every day. We clean our place regularly too. I have also checked my bed for bedbugs but I didn't see anything, i.e. blood stains or anything at all. I have also washed all the beddings with hot water. Still doesn't help me a bit. BTW, my husband doesn't get any of the itch I got, so whatever it is, it is not contagious. Oh and I am female, 38 y.o. in good health aside from this condition. I'm not on any medication prior to this, and my weight is normal (slim). My doc thought it could be something internal so I had some blood tests done several days ago, but the result won't be ready until next Thursday. I wonder if any body here has similar experience with me, especially the 'orange peel' skin condition. Thanks a lot for any info you might share here. ~f~
    sylvia71 4 Replies
    • November 13, 2007
    • 01:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not quite sure what or when I was exposed to what irritated me. All I know is that I've had the rash for about 6 days now. I didn't really notice it until I had shaved, and I had shaved about 3 days before that without any symptoms. I go to a tanning bed every once in awhile. And the last time I had been was the Monday prior to when the rash appeared (on Wed.) Other than that there is nothing unusual about my routine. I have not had it spread anywhere else, even when scratched. I just resist scratching as much as possible, and hope that will help it go away.
    Sweetlilgurl 4 Replies
    • November 13, 2007
    • 03:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• IDo you have any idea how you got yours? Did you change your lifestyle recently or you changed jobs or something?No, I have no idea how it happened! I racked my brain trying to remember ANY thing that I might have done differently prior to the first itch but I can't find anything. I didn't change my life style nor change job nor anything whatsoever. It's so mysterious and annoying.Luckily I work from home, so I don't have to go out much. But this itchiness really distracting my concentration so I have been very unproductive :(. Plus I have problem sleeping because of the itch as well.ASHLEY and SWEETLILGURL:Have you tried moisturizing the part of the skin that is itchy?For shower I have been using special cleanser called 'Cetaphil'. It is non-soap so it doesn't aggravate your skin. I also use the 'Cetaphil Cream'. When your skin is dry, it feels even more itchier. Also, avoid taking shower with hot water. Lukewarm water is better. You might start with warmer water first, then gradually adjust the water until it's lukewarm.
    • November 13, 2007
    • 08:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive been using ivy dry and it hasnt really done anything. i at first got wierd bumps on my fingers that resembled poisen ivy but ive had it enough to know it wasnt it. thats when i thought it was from the latex gloves. however, ive now come to the conclusion that it probably isnt form that. the bumps on my fingers are finally starting to go away. but now i have these other red, small, itchy (esp in morning and night) bumps. they dont look like the ones i had on my fingers though. they arent as raised as the ones on my fingers and they dont have puss in them or anything. they are simply, slightly raised, red dots. some look kinda big but thats just because of how clustered together they are.so, i have a few under my breaston my thighs(inner and outer)on the sides of my stomachnear my elbows and on the back of my kneesi also thought it could be because of bleach. we had to run bleach through our water tanks for a day and i thought that maybe i just had a bad reaction to that. however, i dont know why it would only be in certain spots...and i didnt shower the day we did it. i didnt shower at my house for a couple days after it happened actually
    ashley123 3 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 03:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • About 5 years ago, I noticed a very small blister on my right index finger. I drained the liquid and it went away. A month later a similar blister appeared on my right inside wrist; I treated it the same way with the same results.Since then, several single blisters have come and gone, using the above treatment. Six months ago they started appearing as a small rash of blisters along my forearms, the front of my thighs, and lately on my face. Now, when I drained the blisters, a larger, dark brown spot was left behind. I have always had good skin (I never even had acne as an adolescent) so this was all very discouraging. I began to think it might be a skin infection. I had very mild to no itching, and any discomfort was alleviated with an ice pack. Scratching is always a bad idea, since you end up weakening or breaking the skin, the only protective barrier between you and microbes.I have been using "Head & Shoulders - Intensive Treatment" shampoo (it comes in a navy blue bottle) as an effective treatment for my infrequent (but recurrent) dandruff. I noticed that it also effectively healed a small blister I had drained very close to my scalp. The active ingredient in the shampoo is listed as "Selenium Sulfide - 1%."Selenium, element 34 in the periodic table, is one of those elements that our bodies need in very small (trace) amounts. Others are, for example, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, and Iodine. We are normally able to ingest adequate amounts from a healthy diet of fresh vegetables, meats, fruits, milk, etc. However, when soil is repeatedly used for harvesting the same crop, as it is in the type of intense farming we have today, over time the trace elements are used up unless they are replenished. Obviously, this will eventually impact the rest of the food chain.If extreme iodine deficiency results in goiter (not an obvious development), could my condition be caused by selenium deficiency? I googled "Selenium supplements" and a most informative web page from the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) popped up:ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.aspThe above web page made me aware that Brazil nuts have an extremely high amount of selenium, so I would not have to deal with commercial supplements of dubious efficacy. Armed with this information, I went to the grocery store and bought another bottle of "Head & Shoulders - Intensive Treatment" and a pound of Brazil nuts, which set me back less than $10.00. Based on the NIH information, I decided about 4 to 6 Brazil nuts per day would be enough. In addition, I would use the shampoo as a body wash.I noticed results after the first day. No more blisters appeared, the ones I had began to flatten, and a slightly larger one on my knee had no liquid to drain. Today, after only 4 days of Brazil nuts and selenium shampoo treatments, the brown spots on my face, arms, and legs are fading. I was very surprised at the speed, since I have had the blisters ad brown spots on my arms and legs for about four months without change. This makes me wonder how many doctors are treating simple element and mineral deficiencies with more and more aggresive pharmaceuticals ...I know this solution will help some of you, but not others. It is worth a try because it is inexpensive, non-invasive, and harmless. If you do not see an improvement within a week or two, then selenium deficiency is not your problem. Also, if you are allergic to peanuts, you may want to avoid Brazil nuts and try a selenium supplement instead. Good luck to everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 08:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Everyone, I wonder how you are all doing. I just wanted to give some updates on my condition.My dermatologist told me that it seemed to him that my skin condition/allergy is not caused by anything I eat or get in contact with. It's not externa. It is systemic in the sense that my body just got a predisposition for allergy (my mother is allergic to dust and cold weather). The allergy could be triggered by stress, major changes in my life-style or lack of sleep/fatigue. Well, I wasn't particularly stressed out when the allergy first showed its symptoms and there were no changes in my life style and I often don't get enough sleep from time to time with no problem (except for being drowsy the next day, naturally). So I don't know. Anyway, he gave a set of medication that I should take for 20 days even when the itch has gone. After a few days it seemed to have a good effect for me: I can sleep in the night. And later on my itch seemed to subside - although the look of my skin hasn't improved. It still looks like basket ball surface/orange peel. I am halfway through the medication now.And in the past 2 days... the itch has come back! Aaarghh...!!! Just when I thought it would finally be gone! I will continue taking the medication and see how it goes... They are:- Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg - once every morning- Fexofenadine HCL 180mg - once with dinner- Hydroxyzine 25mg - once at night before bed (it makes you drowsy)On a side note, someone recommend 'Astaxanthin' for me. I googled it and found out that it's basically an antioxidant food supplement. What I've read about it so far looks good - and there is no known side effects even when taken in high doses daily. The general dose ranges between 2mg - 8mg per day. Anybody here ever heard of Astaxanthin or have had some?Thanks!
    • December 4, 2007
    • 05:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter (4 yr old) also has similar bumps. They started as a flea bite looking bump, but have now grown into 50 cent peice size layers of tiny bumps. And the flea bite looking ones pop up other places. We have visited the GP 4 times, and a dermatologist, they keep prescribing random (to me) topical meds steriods, antifungal, etc. and cephalexin and clindamycin (thinking it might be impetigo); however they continue to worsen. She has no other symptoms and itching is seldom, mostly at night. We too were treated for scabies, but it is not that. Any diagnosis ideas woudl be very helpful!
    mom2003 2 Replies
    • December 27, 2007
    • 02:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Just wondering how the bumps have progressed and if they were ever diagnosed. I am currently experiencing very similar symptoms- thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I think i hav something similar...Basically i just started an almost vegan diet. No meat or fish. I was visiting my sister in london when one day i developed a patch of reddish skin on the one side of my mouth,it started itching and felt really scaly. By the next morning it had spread all along my chin and up around the skin of my face. This morning i noticed it spreading along my neck. It doesnt seem to be any thing serious but its really itchy, and my skin looks scaly, my is also a little puffy because im scratching in my sleep. it ruining my holiday! Is it my body detoxing, an allergic reaction or a reaction to the london climate?:eek:
    WhatISthat? 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey, it's really odd how i got these little things. I was fine before i went to bed 3days ago no bumps and i wake up to all these tiny skin colored bumps, now there on both arms but only under the fore arms and all the way to my shoulders my back and chest neck and face but not my legs lower half of my stomach. But one thing that confused me i was doing weeding to the gutters on my house and there were poison ivy/sumac so i really have no idea, my back kinda itches and my face kinda stings but after like the 3days thats went by my GF got it only of her face and no where else so... im just as confused as you all are.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 07:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had tiny bumps all over my scalp, legs, and pubic area. The first Dermatologist I visited said it was Folliculits, and told me to use all this crap to clear it up. Most of the small bumps cleared right up; however, I then had two or three "bug bite" looking bumps on my legs and hard larger bumps on my scalp. My hair began to fall out (not rapidly) but was not growing back, and I had some lovely small bald patches.Also I was placed on some antibiotics, which seemed to help, but as soon as I was off of them the bumps came back. So I took it upon myself to conquer this two year battle. After doing some research, and reading other peoples findings this is what I did:-I began washing my hair everyday, and twice on Wednesday, with dandruff shampoo containing 3% sicilic acid. Do not hesitate to leave it on, and massage it for a good 5 to 10 minutes. It may burn a little bit, but no pain no gain.- Follow with a dandruff conditioner. -Then I used an acne body wash containing 2% sacillic acid.-After completely drying off from my shower, used rapid clear acne face pads(also containing sicillic acid) around my hairline, and on any visibly infected area.-Applied triple antibiotic ointment to my larger "bug bite" looking bumps....this may dry out your scalp, but if you have larger bumps on your scalp you can dab them with the face pads after your hair dries, or before!This is the part that is strange but effective. -I cleaned out the inside of my nose, yes my nose, with some Listerine (bacteria lives here and is the perfect condition to thrive, and cause skin problems), - Allow your nose to dry completely- Then apply triple antibiotic ointment along the inside of your nose. Now I do not mean shoving a q-tip all the way up your nose, just right inside, along the openings, and skin right below the nose. -This will kill any bacteria in your nose as you kill bacteria on the skin. - Also take that Listerine and gargle, gargle, gargle.. Tip your head way back because bacteria can live in your throat as well.Within days of this regiment I saw results. It has only been 5 days and my skin is clearing up, and I have hair re-growth like you wouldn't believe.I aslo drink strictly water, and vitamin enriched beverage as well as take daily multi-vitamins,
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2008
    • 07:41 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement