Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Jumping legs

Posted In: Medical Stories 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 29, 2007
  • 04:45 PM

I am new here, but I was hoping someone could help me. About two weeks ago my left leg started "jumping" (while I was sitting still my legs would just jump/***k, kind of like a muscle spasm). Went to the Doctor and she said probably MS or Parkinson's, she wanted to rule out the worst first. So, I had all types of blood work, testing for various things, such as Wilson's Disease. That all came back OK. Then had a MRI on my brain, that came back OK. Then had a MRI on my spine and lumbar area and of course, nothing there either.
But, after 5 days of the left leg jumping, the right leg starting jumping. And one day after the right leg, my right arm is jumping. Where will it traveling to next?
They have ruled out MS, Wilson's Disease and a few others, but they are still saying possibly Parkinson's. The research I have done really doesn't suggest Parkinson's.
When it first started is was all the time. Then just during the day, but last night it started about 9 p.m. and lasted until 6 a.m.
Has anyone had just involuntary movements of limbs? There is pain now, but it is like when you work out and your muscles hurt. (Maybe from all this jumping).
I am a 40 year old male.
Is there anyone that has had some similar symptoms of just leg jumping/jerking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• You need a electro myelo gram (EMG) done. This will determine if it is your peripheral nerves, your spinal nerves or your muscles doing the jumping. Parkinsons chorea (what your doctor is telling you you have) usually starts when performing delicate tasks such as tying your shoes or walking a straight line, not sitting. since you said you were sitting when you felt the jumping and since its bilateral there is a strong chance that this a radiculopathy. Your MRI, depending on magnet stregth and open vs. closed might not reveal a spondylolithesis (slipping of one verterae over another ) or a lumbar stenosis (closing up of nerve root holes ). Since your leg jumps up, without an exam i cant tell you what it really is, but if its flexion of the hip this can be anything from your psoas major to your knee flexors (sarorius, gracillis, adductor magnus/longus/brevis, pectinius), interestingly the adductors are controlled by the obturator nerve (L2,3,4) and the others by the femoral nerve (L2,3,4). With some variational anatomy you could have a problem at any level from L1 to L5.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2007
    • 06:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much for your help. I have an appt. with the doctor in Wed. 11/14. Again, Thanks! :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2007
    • 03:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, I have more information but still no diagnosis. They have ruled out Parkinson's and MS. Doctor started me on Lyrica, but had to stop because of the side effects. Left leg is still jumping, I can also feel a tightning sensation in my right leg. Sometimes, when my leg is not jumping it hurts. It jumped all day Sunday, 12/2, but none since then. I had a c-spine mri and sleep deprived EEG, all came back normal. Waiting on the results of the Lyme test, doctor doesn't thing that is it. Now, we are back to not knowing. Can anyone help me with any suggestions. Oh, the doctor had brought ALS, but I can't find anything that really matches my symptoms. Thanks in advance!:confused:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 02:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, I have more information but still no diagnosis. They have ruled out Parkinson's and MS. Doctor started me on Lyrica, but had to stop because of the side effects. Left leg is still jumping, I can also feel a tightning sensation in my right leg. Sometimes, when my leg is not jumping it hurts. It jumped all day Sunday, 12/2, but none since then. I had a c-spine mri and sleep deprived EEG, all came back normal. Waiting on the results of the Lyme test, doctor doesn't thing that is it. Now, we are back to not knowing. Can anyone help me with any suggestions. Oh, the doctor had brought ALS, but I can't find anything that really matches my symptoms. Thanks in advance!:confused: How much coffee do you drink and do you drink any of the "energy drinks" that are on the market? Are you taking any meds currently? Lyrica does have some nasty side effects. Do you take any nutritional supplements? Do you work out regularly? If so, what type of exercise do you do? Do you drink lots of water? Any headaches? Do you have pain associated with the jumping? Do you have a resting tremor, or is the jumping worse with movement? Do you have jumping while sleeping, or is it worse with rest? DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • No wonder health care is so expensive ! Many big tests of the nervous system before doing the simple tests first. Pretty much has to be nerves or muscles or both. Muscles can have these symptoms if they do not get the minerals in and out appropriately. RLS is related to this very specifically. Mins go in, muscle contracts, mins out, muscles relax. Need good mineral sources and good fat digestion because fats are the taxis that get them around. (Source: Perfect Bones by Pamela Levin) What is your diet like ? And as accuann asked, what about caffeine etc ? On the lyme test, do not trust a hospital or lab test. Only reliable tests are from Igenex and Bowen.Lymes does often target the nervous system so MS in many cases can actually be lyme, along with ALS, RA and more. Has a physical been done, checking reflexes and muscle strength and skin sensation ?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2007
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you Ralph and acuann for helping me. Ralph, I do agree about healthcare costs, I do have fairly good insurance, but still have a lot of seemingly unnecessary bills. I do live in a small town and the doctors tell me they not seen anything like this. I drink one to two cups of coffee a day and a glass of a soft drink or tea at night with supper. No energy drinks. I do try to drink a lot of water but not always successful. The only meds I am taking is occasional Advil for a headache. I do take Flexeril if the jumping gets too bad. I am a dailysis nurse and if my leg is jumping too bad it gets hard to stick people with needles. No, do not have a regular work out routine, I work about 50 to 55 hours a week on my feet all day. I am a 41 year old male, 5'5" and weigh about 134 lbs. Never been overweight, this probably the most I have ever weighted. Don't smoke or drink. No regular headaches.As far as pain, when my legs are jumping there is no pain, but when the tugging sensation is there and it's not jumping, there is pain. I have had a physical, with all of the easy tests done, and everything is OK. Which doesn't make any sense to me. No nutritional supplements.In the beginning my leg jumped at night, but now it usually stops while I am asleep. No resting tremor. I can't find anything that makes the jumping worse. I thought maybe when I was tired. But Sunday, we had a lazy day with church and a children's play in the evening, no work or strenuous activity and my leg jumped all day. But, Monday and Tuesday no jumping at all and Wednesday about two or three times. (I worked all three of these days about 10 hours per day-during the day work day 30 mins. for lunch and a 30 min. break in the morning).Diet is OK, but I am sure it could be better. I don't like alot of sweets. I sometimes don't eat a lot or on the run especially while I am at work. Thanks again to both of you for helping me. Have a great day!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2007
    • 02:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Ralph and acuann, thank you so much for help for your help. Ralph, I do agree with you about medical costs. I do have fairly good insurance but still my costs are high and seemingly unnecessary. I just wish they could find a reason my leg is doing this. I do drink about 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day and most of the time a glass of a soft drink or tea at night with supper. No meds other than an occasional Advil for a headache. I do take 10 mg. of Flexeril if the jumping gets too bad. I am a dialysis nurse and if the jumping gets too bad and I am unable to stick people safely. No nutritional supplements. No energy drinks.No regular workout routine. I do work about 10 to 12 hours a day at least four days a week (not regular exercise, but a lot of walking and on me feet all day). I do try to drink a lot water, but sometimes not successful. No regular headaches. As far as pain, during the jump of my leg there is no pain. But, when me leg is not jumping there is pain. For example today, my knee starting hurting very bad for about three seconds and then my leg jumped and the pain went away. No resting tremor.I have tried to find something that makes it worse, but can't. I thought maybe stress and fatigue would make it worse, but doesn't. For example, Sunday we had a lazy day, church and then a children's play in the evening. There was not strenuous activity and any hard work and my leg jumped all day. Monday and Tuesday I worked 11 hours each day and my leg didn't jump all day. Wednesday, I worked 10 hours and it jumped two or three times. In the beginning my leg would jump when I was awake or sleeping, but not anymore now it seems to settle down when I go to sleep.A physical has been done, reflexes, muscle strength, and skin sensation is OK. In fact, my left leg (the one that is jumping) is stronger than my right. Does RLS only happen at night or is it a day thing too? Thanks again to both of you. At this point I am so frustrated and the doctors can not seem to decide what to do next. Have a great day and look forward to hearing from both of you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2007
    • 04:11 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement