Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

nausea & pain in left upper quadrant

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: ghostwriter38
  • October 27, 2007
  • 11:13 PM

I'm a 52 year old female, no health problems to speak of until...
In the past year, I've had about 10-12 occasions where during the night or early morning hours, I've awakened with nausea. I suspect this is related to blood sugar somehow, based on having eaten too much or a lot of sugar the night before. I also have occasional pain (nothing terrible, just annoying) on my left side, about where my rib cage ends. Gall bladder? Pancreas?

I have no history of heart problems, have low cholesterol and triglycerides, etc. But I do have a family history of type 2 diabetes. Could this be a diabetic thing? If so, what do I do about it? I have no health care insurance so self-treatment is going to be the only option.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Could be an enlaged spleen or liver, An enlarged spleen can cause nausea by pressing into your stomach. Go see a docter.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 28, 2007
    • 09:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Me again...I'm ruling out gallbladder problems, as apparently that's on the right side. From what I can tell, the spleen is about where I'm having the discomfort (wouldn't exactly call it pain, or maybe just mild pain). Why would my spleen be having problems? I'm also having some pain exactly in the middle of my abdomen, slightly above where my belly-button is. Feels like a dull but nagging pain, like it's boring away into my backbone. Not constantly, just after I've eaten a lot of sugar or a lot of food at once. Usually I have that a few hours before the nausea starts.Any thoughts?
    ghostwriter38 2 Replies
    • October 28, 2007
    • 04:35 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement