Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

EXTREMLY itchy legs.

Posted In: Medical Errors 351 Replies
  • Posted By: casper
  • October 3, 2006
  • 08:09 AM

OK. well i dont know if i am in the right place for this. but i need people to help. if you know anything about what i am talking about in the following paragraph or know of people with simular things tell me and tell me how they fixed it.

they are small dots on my legs that get very very veryyyyyy itchy and i cant stop scrathing. and i have been to the doctor had multiole medications and no result.
also a pharmist said they are ingrown hairs (foicalities) but yet no matter what i do it wont go away.
not only is it itchy and annoying its also embaressing. i cant wear dressers and skirts because you can see the inflamed areas and red dots everywhere.
not to mention me itching.

please help me.
-casper-

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • exfoliate them regularly to prevent ingrown hairs and moisterise every time you get out of the shower.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • thank you for taking the time to help me.i will try thatthey are getting sorta better, which is a relief as its getting hot where i live,thanks again-casper-
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2006
    • 09:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Try rinsing your legs off with fresh clean water after a bath, or if in the shower let the fresh water run over your legs..you don't want to leave any soap on your legs to dry. Then after showering, before drying off with the towel put lots of Keri Lotion on them and pat off any excess water. Be sure to keep Keri Lotion on them during the day if possible.
    leabrooke 4 Replies
    • October 19, 2006
    • 05:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Casper,Unless you have very curly leg hairs, I doubt you have ingrown hairs. I would think you have a bacterial infection.Try putting a clean cloth soaked with hydrogen peroxide on a small area. If it really gets itchy doing this, you are killing the bacteria and are on the right track (you might also see the hp start to foam too). Other things you can use are tea tree oil, castor oil, or neosporin.It can also be an allergic reaction to soap, body lotion, suntan lotion, or other cosmetic used on your legs. Use a natural soap from a health food store (never use antibacterial soaps!), and for a moisturizer use an organic oil (I use organic olive oil and it is awesome). Try to get your legs into the sun for at least 30 minutes a day to get some vitamin D into your skin to help heal the problem as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2006
    • 05:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Do your legs still itch? I have the same problem. My doctors keep trying to tell me it is infected hair folicles, but it's weird that it is only on the lower parts of my legs. Then someone thought it was fleas, which might be the case. have you had any luck?
    salma19 1 Replies
    • October 29, 2006
    • 02:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi- I got the same problem. But I subdue mine with NOT using any smelling lotions, or shave gels. I use sent free laundry detergent, body wash, and don't change anything until i must. I also shave less often then normal. I only go about every other to every three days, without shaving. Also, if you do shave your legs, if you use a shve gel or cream, make sure you switch blades at least every 5 times.That is the only I can keep those itchy red spots away. If you need to have lotion, try a none smelly one. Good luck, hope you "feel" better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2006
    • 05:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been dealing with this for years! It's not soap or lotion or lack of them either. I have tried everything including having biopsies done by the dermatologist.I recently was told to look into "restless leg syndrome". I was very surprised to find that the itchiness may be a symptom. It seems that the itching that I have comes from poor circulation in my legs. I have had spider veins for quite some time, and I work 12 hour shifts on my feet. What's most telling as a symptom for me is that I itch the most after I get home from work and sit for a while. I have recently made a point of putting my feet up during my lunch breaks and find that my legs begin to itch. I am convinced that it is a vascular issue and so I am investing in pressure/compression socks.I hope this helps you!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 19, 2006
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • If your legs burn and itch intensely you might have a candida skin condition. Search for candidiasis on the web and look at the symptoms. If you have taken an antibiotic or sulfa drug in the recent past you might have this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 04:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi,I also have extremly itchy lower legs, I went to a dermatoligist about 15 years ago for this and he said it was mites, gave me medication but it has never gone away. The things I do is, DONT shave my legs - use a hair removing cream for sensitive skin and I live in Australia and we have an ointment called LANACAINE which stops the itching. Also if it is bad at night I take 1/2 an antihistamine. I definatly DONT use any creams or lotions on my legs and only use Pears soap.Hope this helps some.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 00:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been suffering from this mysterious itchiness since last April. I got a bad sunburn on the fronts of my lower legs. Right after I constantly covered them with aloe to soothe the pain. The burn was gone in a few days but itchiness remained. At first I thought it was just dry from the burn, but it continued. I used Sarna to try stopping the itch, but that actually made it worse. My doctor prescribed a steriod lotion, which worked for a few months, but then the itch came back. Lately it is back in full force and it's terrible. It has interrupted my life, I think about it all day, and it wakes me up at night. These little bumps appear all over my legs (no rash or redness, just bumps), and they itch constantly. I dont' know what to do, especially since it will be summer in no time and I am getting married in 7 months!! I feel like this will never go away. Help...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 09:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • have you looked into the soap you use or even laundry detergent. I had a similar problem except on my arms and hands.Took me over a year to find out I cannot use antibacterial soaps on a reugular basis. I have to be very careful what detergents I use. Seems odd but I also break out if i use aloa vera.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 11:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• :) Hello There, I have itch as well, what i use is called eucerin. The stuff works wonders; there is another application name is hydrocortisone cream, 2.5%. This works well but is only available by way of a doctors prescription. Maybe try these unless you've already got it handled. As Always, In His Service.;)
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 06:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Purpura is the appearance of red or purple discolorations on the skin, caused by bleeding underneath the skin. Small spots are called petechiae, while large spots are called ecchymoses.This is common with typhus and can be present with meningitis caused by meningococcal meningitis or septicaemia. ClassificationPurpura is a common and unspecific symptom, however the underlying mechanism commonly involves one of the following:Platelet disorders Primary thrombocytopenic purpura Secondary thrombocytopenic purpura Vascular disorders Microvascular injury, as seen in senile (old age) purpura, when blood vessels are more easily damaged Hypertensive states Deficient vascular support Vasculitis, as in the case of Henoch-Schönlein purpura Coagulation disorders Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) There are also cases of psychogenic purpura described in the medical literature, some due to autoerythrocyte sensitization.Go To:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petechial_rashFor Pictures! Just an idea if you haven't already found an answer. And the old age thing doesn't matter .. I had it when I was about 7 and I'm 21 now and fine! -Jen--------------------------------OK. well i dont know if i am in the right place for this. but i need people to help. if you know anything about what i am talking about in the following paragraph or know of people with simular things tell me and tell me how they fixed it.they are small dots on my legs that get very very veryyyyyy itchy and i cant stop scrathing. and i have been to the doctor had multiole medications and no result.also a pharmist said they are ingrown hairs (foicalities) but yet no matter what i do it wont go away.not only is it itchy and annoying its also embaressing. i cant wear dressers and skirts because you can see the inflamed areas and red dots everywhere.not to mention me itching.please help me.-casper-
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 08:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dermatitis herpetiformis, the skin rash and itchiness associated with coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) could be the problem. I have found some people taking supplements with potassium iodide can also have this reaction.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 11:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem, the itch is so intense I wake up scratching, what helps a great deal is vitamin E skin oil, its very cheap I buy it at walmart for less than $3.00. it helps a great deal. I've tried everything. crazy itch daily.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 03:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this dumb thing too. Just drives me nuts. I itch until I break skin.I have been to the doctor and she has given me a cream but to use it sparing. My doctor suggested to use Dove soap. No relief. She thinks it dry skin but its more then that. She also thought maybe my nerves. Got a water softner. Still no relief.Tried Eucirin lotion no luck, tried aneeno lotion no luck, Suave oatmeal I like but still no great relief. Any help greatly appreciated.Itch no more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 03:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hitry looking at food! I get terrible itching legs when I eat food which my body has a sensitivity to.look at "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by Dr Peter D'Adamo.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 10:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Could it be razor burn?? Because that can cause itching like crazy,to the point of keeping you awake! One of those scratch ,itch,scratch itch thingys.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 07:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem too, my legs would itchy me to the point it was a burning itch, but no rash, and no razor burn. So one night when it was driving me crazy I got on here and did some research and someone had wrote about there experience and a Doctor had wrote them and said to try Sarna Lotion and to take 25mg of Benadryl before you go to bed if it is really bad. Well I tried it and it worked!! In just 3 days!! Finally, something that helps!! Although it is a little expensive it is worth every penny. So I hope this helps for you as it did for me!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2007
    • 10:51 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Well I tried the Sarna Lotion, and it helped really good for about 4 days, then last night the 5 day they was back to itching like crazy!! Does any one have any other cures or anything we can do to help this problem???? I have had it for 3 years now and gotten no answers!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 02:05 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement