Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Tight Stiff Legs?

Posted In: Muscle conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 19, 2007
  • 06:41 AM

Ok, can someone tell me what condition I am having?

When I am playing basketball - running (it never happened until a couple of years ago - never in HS) somtimes my legs will get extremely tight and stiff. From my ankles up close to my knees. I cannot hardly move them or bend them (I need to sit down). It makes it really hard to run down the court and play (jumpping is really tough). My shins and calf muscles all hurt. It feels like my whole leg is flexed and hard. Usually both, but sometimes one is worse than the other leg. Also, this little lump pops out on my leg (Looks like a little bubble or a big white pimple). Sitting down for 10+ minutes will usually make the tighness go away, but it comes back the next game sometimes. We only take a couple of minute breaks.

Someone metioned to me a couple of years ago they thought I had shin splints, but I'm not sure that's what it is. I tried looking up some stuff about it, but it's hard to describe and read about conditions.

Thanx for any responses.

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• Are you sure it is not just cramps. It does not soud like shin splints to me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 20, 2007
    • 01:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Shin splints is a general term used to refer to a painful condition in the shins caused by small tears in the muscles where they connect to the shins. It is often caused by running or jumping, and may be very slow to heal.I assume you are stretching fully before each game as well as warming up completely? It could be possible that your leg muscles have shortened due to either lack of use or not stretching correctly. A sports physio would be able to diagnose this as well as teach you how to stretch the muscles properly so you do not injure them. If there is another cause for this pain then a sports physio should be able to detect that too. A good warming massage cream such as tiger balm will help ease a lot of pain in the meantime.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2007
    • 04:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm not sure what my problem I'm having with my legs is, but i don't think it's cramps. In football when a player gets a cramp, they go down, the coach goes out there, they stretch the leg and he comes off (then he goes back in a little later). A sharp pain in the leg. (feels like a pull?) Mine feels more like a high ankle sprain, except i havent twisted my ankle. It starts out low and the tightness goes up the leg where I cant even move the leg(s). It burns as well. I probably do need to stretch better. I do a little (wall stretches for my legs), but we usually start a little while after we get there.
    spoofrice11 2 Replies
    • November 2, 2007
    • 03:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This probably won't help except to know that there is someone else out here having a similar problem. My legs have gotten so stiff and painful that I cannot reach my feet very well to put on my socks and shoes. I have been checked by my orthopedic doctor, my endocrinologist, a rheumatologist and I go to a pain clinic for help. I have had the test where they put needles in my legs and cause little shocks to go thru my legs and I have had doppler tests on both legs. Still after that - no diagnosis. So - if there is anyone that has any other ideas on how to release the stiffness and pain I would appreciate it. (Oh, and I have been going to physical therapy for 6 months now and they can't figure it out either!)Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This probably won't help except to know that there is someone else out here having a similar problem. My legs have gotten so stiff and painful that I cannot reach my feet very well to put on my socks and shoes. I have been checked by my orthopedic doctor, my endocrinologist, a rheumatologist and I go to a pain clinic for help. I have had the test where they put needles in my legs and cause little shocks to go thru my legs and I have had doppler tests on both legs. Still after that - no diagnosis. So - if there is anyone that has any other ideas on how to release the stiffness and pain I would appreciate it. (Oh, and I have been going to physical therapy for 6 months now and they can't figure it out either!)ThanksSame here. I found a high potency, very balanced nutrition (not vitamins) has helped tremendously. There is one out there that can give you similar results.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2010
    • 05:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this might not seem related but it could be that you have weak ankles and your leg is trying to compensate for it, its just the muscles being worked a little harder then they normally would and thats where youre getting the high ankle sprain feeling. maybe? hope it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2010
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This has recently been happening to me (28yr F). I think its due to low oxygen supply to the muscles caused by thick blood, small or swollen vessels, or clots. Because I think its a cardiovascular problem I'm going to quit smoking and see if this helps. (this is just one more reason why i need to quit and also my hypertension). Do you smoke?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2011
    • 07:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have the problem of stiff calves. Every time i train for rugby, my left calf goes hard. Also the little pit area behind the knee swells up and that makes bending my leg difficult, hence running is really slow and sometime with a painful limp. I stopped practice and running a couple of weeks and started icing my calves and then massaging them. so far it has worked with the hardness. Calves have started softening up the pain is still there a bit behind the knee, but it is better. Not sure if it will work for anyone else out there but give it a try.... Crushed ice in a bag kept on the calf till it gets to the stage before numbness, then a good 10 minute massage.
    Lancepereira 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • A physio said to me it may be compartment syndrome, i found that losing weight took some of the load off my legs and proper stretching
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement