Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

coughing up granules

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 1, 2006
  • 10:11 AM

i have searched through everything i know and both of my parents are nurses but neither one has ever seen this before. i have been coughing up foul smelling granules, especially after i first wake up. i've done it in the past just here and there, but this past week i've kept on coughing them up. i don't have to really cough hard. i do have sinus problems and have a history of getting a sinus infection once or twice a year and if i'm not careful those turn into a typ pneumonia. i have an allergy to trees and mold, but i still don't know what those little balls are. i'm not really coughing anything else up. plz help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• Tonsil Stones
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2006
    • 07:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have them too, ever since I was a child. Doctors don't seem concerned. I do believe the other response is correct: tonsil stones. I sometimes have to extract them myself from my tonsils because they are very irritating. I have a contraption that squirts salt water towards the stones and then they dislodge. Gargle with salt water every night and use a good nasal wash regularly. In the morning use a good anti-bacterial mouthwash. You will see an improvement. If not, get a good ear,nose and throat doctor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2006
    • 08:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • wow i get those too a white little odd smelling things they irritate my throat my dr said they where from having tonsilities i have it frequently and wish they would just remove my tonsils
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Be careful what you wish for. I had mine out at 27 and it was the most painful thing that ever happened to me. Of course now they have better pain control. And I never had a chest cold until I had them out.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing. I just decided to research it on the internet tonight. This is the only web site where I could find anything about coughing up granules. I'm relieved to find out that others are having the same problem. I think I will try gargling with salt water as someone suggested.
    Quincy 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Be careful what you wish for. I had mine out at 27 and it was the most painful thing that ever happened to me. Of course now they have better pain control. And I never had a chest cold until I had them out. I almost died when i had my tonsils out.. i haemorraged and had to be given a blood transfusion. Tonsil removal.. not something to be viewed lightly.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TonsillolithTonsillectomy is hardly ever indicted in this condition. You need to take more care over your oral hygiene. An antibacterial mouth wash would be useful. These stones may result from repeated infections due to your sinus problems. If these problems are causing you to have pneumonia (which might eventually permanently damage your lungs), why don't you get your sinuses sorted by an ENT surgeon?
    happyprince123 33 Replies Flag this Response
  • Tonsillectomy is hardly ever indicted in this condition. You need to take more care over your oral hygiene. An antibacterial mouth wash would be useful. These stones may result from repeated infections due to your sinus problems. If these problems are causing you to have pneumonia (which might eventually permanently damage your lungs), why don't you get your sinuses sorted by an ENT surgeon?Link to article won't appear on this post, just look for tonsillolith on the internet to find out more about this condition.
    happyprince123 33 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement