Discussions By Condition: Kidney conditions

Scarring and fullness in kidney?

Posted In: Kidney conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Daranoza
  • October 12, 2007
  • 11:15 PM

After years of repeated (20 plus a year) UTIs I was sent for investigations. I had ultrasound and X ray examinations carried out and was sent to discuss the results yesterday.

What the urologist said was that the X rays were fine, but the scans showed up something that caused him concern.

He said that one kidney was perfectly fine. The other, however, showed multiple scarring at the top of it and a "fullness" at the bottom, larger than the other one, differently shaped.

When I asked him what he meant by "fullness" he said, in broken English, "you know how some ladies are fuller than others?"

He suggested that this scarring was from repeated infections and the fullness might be the cause of said infections and has scheduled me in for an IVP examination.

Can anybody tell me what he is talking about when he describes scarring and fullness?

What causes such fullness/bottom end enlargement?

How can it be fixed to prevent these depressing infections?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I do not know what he means by what you said - If it were me I would ask him to explain better, I swear I keep my doctors with me until I can fully understand - even if it takes an hour because I do not like wondering about stuff and then trying to "look into" things deeper than they should. But keep pushing for answers and don't stop until you get them! I have had seven UTI's this year 4 within four months and another just a couple weeks ago - I never got these - I finally told the nurse - That's quite a bit and I know my body I know something isn't right - she agreed booked me an appointment (GYN) doc did the exam everything is fine refers me to my Family Doctor I run down the symptoms he orders an Ultra Sound - cannot get a good reading on my left kidney due to gas - also I have residual urine left in bladder - sends me to Urologist who is convinced i have cystitis (Spelling?) orders an abdominal CT Scan with the IV I get the results and I have Medullary Sponge Kidneys and some small renal stones with cyst on Kidney - The Kidneys is what is causing all my UTI's - for this disease from what I have read normally shows symptoms when the person is an adult - (I am 41) it is non-life threating also from what I have read. I will be seeing my Urologist on the 2nd of Nov - He is supposed to do a cystoscopy but I am begining to think I do not need this. Good luck to you and don't stop until you get your answers! :) MM
    scaredmom 14 Replies
    • October 27, 2007
    • 02:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I do not know what he means by what you said - If it were me I would ask him to explain better, I swear I keep my doctors with me until I can fully understand - even if it takes an hour because I do not like wondering about stuff and then trying to "look into" things deeper than they should. But keep pushing for answers and don't stop until you get them! I have had seven UTI's this year 4 within four months and another just a couple weeks ago - I never got these - I finally told the nurse - That's quite a bit and I know my body I know something isn't right - she agreed booked me an appointment (GYN) doc did the exam everything is fine refers me to my Family Doctor I run down the symptoms he orders an Ultra Sound - cannot get a good reading on my left kidney due to gas - also I have residual urine left in bladder - sends me to Urologist who is convinced i have cystitis (Spelling?) orders an abdominal CT Scan with the IV I get the results and I have Medullary Sponge Kidneys and some small renal stones with cyst on Kidney - The Kidneys is what is causing all my UTI's - for this disease from what I have read normally shows symptoms when the person is an adult - (I am 41) it is non-life threating also from what I have read. I will be seeing my Urologist on the 2nd of Nov - He is supposed to do a cystoscopy but I am begining to think I do not need this. Good luck to you and don't stop until you get your answers! :) MM It is so frustrating, though, this wondering. In this country (I live in UK) you can wait weeks between tests to see the same doctor and discuss the results. I had IVP/IVU almost two weeks ago and will not see the doctor who ordered it until 22nd November. My UTIs are slightly improved this year. I would say I have had about three or four since June (equates to roughly one per month as opposed to two) but I can feel one coming on now, so make that five since June. I had one that lasted three weeks relentlessly once. It is getting in the way of a lot of things. I am wanting to try for my first baby but its just impossible. I do not know how much scarring there was. I do not know what he meant when he said that the bottom of my kidney was fat. I do not know what kind of treatment that he was speaking of when he said we would discuss treatment options after IVU. I just know that these repeated infections are getting beyond a joke and are ruling my life. i suppose I was just looking for some vague information, really, perhaps somebody else who had experienced the same thing. Good luck with everything.
    Daranoza 1 Replies
    • October 27, 2007
    • 09:08 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement