Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Stiff legs and joints - Please help!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: lindamt62
  • October 11, 2007
  • 09:22 AM

I am new here. I am a 45 year old woman of good health. About 12 mths ago I started working full-time and quit my gym. About 9mths ago I started to get really sore kegs from the knee down. My knees and hips started to ache when I lay down on my sides at night. Since then I have noticed that my legs hurt off and on, mostly in the summer. Also after sitting for even a short period of time my leg muscles become really stiff and when I stand up to walk I walk like an old lady until the stiffness wears off. When I use stairs my legs hurt up in the hip joints. My sister said it is old age but I refuse to believe that at 45 I am in such bad shape. I've wondered if there is a correlation between me building up my legs at the gym and then quitting??? I have no explanation but with summer coming on here in Australia, I can feel my legs starting to hurt during the day again. The stiffness is always there, and I am at a loss as to what could be causing this. Anyone who might be able to shed some light on this, I would be ever so grateful.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• You may be suffering from de-conditioning the term which is usually applied to older folks, but might just be a loss of condition in your case. And it is really true that it is harder to get fit again than to stay fit. Or, you are almost the right age for hyperparathyroidism, which makes all your bones hurt. I'm still trying to get back into condition after the above because I didn't exercise for over a year.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • October 13, 2007
    • 11:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You may be suffering from de-conditioning the term which is usually applied to older folks, but might just be a loss of condition in your case. And it is really true that it is harder to get fit again than to stay fit. Or, you are almost the right age for hyperparathyroidism, which makes all your bones hurt. I'm still trying to get back into condition after the above because I didn't exercise for over a year.or it can be arthritis
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 13, 2007
    • 01:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • [I am at a loss as to what could be causing this. Anyone who might be able to shed some light on this, I would be ever so grateful.Wow this is exactly what I have right down to my hips hurting at night. Did you ever find an answer?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2010
    • 03:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Me also, I still don't know what is causing it. I was checked out for rheumatoid arthritis. Menopause has been one suspect.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have the same exact symptoms! I am 36 and this started after I had my baby a year ago. My hips would start killing me while lying down. That has gotten better though. But if I sit up in my bed, with my legs in front of me, I know that once I stand up I'm gonna be hobbling like an old lady until my muscles soften up. There's no pain while I'm sitting, and I could just sit there for 2 minutes - and my muscles will stiffen up!! What is it?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I suffer the same. I've lost a lot of weight, I think it may have something to do with that. I feel it a lot in my hips, and can leave me in a lot of pain.. I'm only 34, but I feel like I'm 94 at times. Losing weight was, a way of trying to improve, the way I move, not make it worse!It's difficult sometimes, especially when I am in work, where I care for others with low mobility. It gets me frustrated as I feel so much fitter, in having a lot more energy, but not in the body.:mad:
    Katylx 1 Replies
    • August 14, 2011
    • 08:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement