Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Depression, severe mood swings, easily agitated, some anxiety

Posted In: Medical Stories 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 11, 2007
  • 02:04 AM

I started menopause at 40 and with it came severe depression. I am now 55, have seen a million doctors, taken every anti-depressant there is, and still suffer with the disease off and on. After Katrina I began having anxiety attacks along with severe mood swings and agitation. Every little thing changes my mood or causes serious agitation. Needless to say this is not good for any relationship, but I can seem to help it. I have been seeing the same doctor for over 2 years with several changes in meds, but nothing seems to work. I run every day and work out, and that is the only time I feel happy. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I started menopause at 40 and with it came severe depression. I am now 55, have seen a million doctors, taken every anti-depressant there is, and still suffer with the disease off and on. After Katrina I began having anxiety attacks along with severe mood swings and agitation. Every little thing changes my mood or causes serious agitation. Needless to say this is not good for any relationship, but I can seem to help it. I have been seeing the same doctor for over 2 years with several changes in meds, but nothing seems to work. I run every day and work out, and that is the only time I feel happy. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.Is it possible that you have bipolar disorder? (probably not.)This problem has a lot to do with you starting menopause.http://www.medicinenet.com/menopause/page5.htm#tocm # What are the treatment options for the symptoms of menopause? * Hormone therapy * Other medical therapies * Alternative therapies * Non-hormone therapieshttp://www.medicinenet.com/menopause/page5.htm#manage <--Information on management.
    Nurse-Shikonay 6 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 11:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I started menopause at 40 and with it came severe depression. I am now 55, have seen a million doctors, taken every anti-depressant there is, and still suffer with the disease off and on. After Katrina I began having anxiety attacks along with severe mood swings and agitation. Every little thing changes my mood or causes serious agitation. Needless to say this is not good for any relationship, but I can seem to help it. I have been seeing the same doctor for over 2 years with several changes in meds, but nothing seems to work. I run every day and work out, and that is the only time I feel happy. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can cause your symptoms.Also could be something wrong with your thyroid since this has been going on for 15 years. Have you been tested for thyroid disease? It can cause severe depression and other symptoms. Many times doctors end up treating the symptoms and not the entire disease. The patient doesn't get the correction they need and the depression goes on and on.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2007
    • 09:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • STAY OFF THE ANTIDEPPRESSANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!usually they make people worse.just keep staying active eating healthy and take a vacation to do whatever the ***l you want
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2007
    • 02:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you will feel like a new woman if you get on hormone replacement therapy.I was 45 when I went directly into menopause too, but due to surgical menopause. I had to have a total hysterectomy which means they don't keep your ovaries. so I wasnt' producing anymore precious hormones.I tried to do it without hormones and wasnt' placed on anything till the symptoms started hitting me. wow! they were horrible. I couldnt' sleep, I battled with this furnace type sweat that was deep inside me and rush up to my chest like a furnace. I was aggiated, crying spells, I felt I was going crazy and I didn't want to effect my family or my boyfreind whom I'm living with for six years have to put up with me like that.so when I went for a follow up visit, I asked my gyno about HRT and she put me on the hightest dosage but the most natural form they can produce.It's just plain estrogen, because I dont' need the other hormone that goes into it because i no longer have a uterus, so I dont' have to worry about ever getting uterine cancer.woman have to worry about uterine cancer if they take just plain estrogen, so the dr prescribes a hormone therapy that has two hormones in it so it prevents that from happening. those two combines homrones are believed to also be a cause for breast cancer. but like I said, I don't have a uterus, so therefore only need the one hormone, "estrogen".it is a miracle drug for me and I dont' ever want to be without it.(I some how pressed a key with my pinky finger on my apple pad and don't know how to stop it from writing in "italic". sorry.I'm not gaining weight, I can sleep much much better, I'm not as aggiated and ready to scream at anyone anymore, I don't feel as panicky and I dont' feel like i"m losing my mind. My skin is soft like it used to be before my surgery and my hair is not as dried out like before either. there are so many benefits to this form of therapy for me. I have to pay fifty dollars for each prescription though because I am currently unemployed and have no medical coverage. it hurts, but I can't live normally without that medicine. it's like gold to me as you can see.who the heck can suffere the effects of menopause like that?I can't. I take the v-dot patch. it's called "vivelle". it's made with yams, not from pregnant mares urine like other forms of hrt are made with. so many woman dont' want to take the synthetic form and have started spending so much money on some form that's made closest to our bodies. I forget the name of this form. I can't afford that type of treatment. it's very expensive I heard.bio something it's called.anyway,the endocrine system if out of whack can cause a host of similar symptoms you're mentioning. I would seek another dr if this one is not able to help you.sometimes a diagnosis doesnt' just jump out at the doctor and they need to refer you to a specialtist who can find the answer.unfortunetly I've heard too many times, including it happening to myself, that peopel go undiagnosed for many years before finding out what exactly the problem is.I was suffering and getting only worst as the months progressed, and my family dr didn't do a darn thing about it. he thank God at least referred me to a rheumotologist because I was constanlty complaining about my bone pain. it started spreading into my joints in my fingers from my spine and neck and wrists. I was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis, plus osteoarhtritis ( same as: degenerative joint disease) in my spine, hip and probably other bones, but not tested at other areas, and my family dr. didn't run any other tests to find out why at the age of then 46, was I suffering with the extent of disease a woman who would normally be in her 60's have.I went to see the rheumotoglist and he said I also have fibromyalgia, and he gave me a new medication to start taking for the pain, told me to come back in two weeks, I wasn't improving at all, and by the end of our ck up, he said at the very last minute, "did anyone ever check your vitamine D level"?my reply was "no". my family dr never ever did run that simple test.well guess what?.......they called me to make sure I didn't miss my apptn. because he said my level was very low and that I have a vit. D deficiency.I was suffering with so vague symptoms for quite some time now, so I don't know how long my body has been running on such a low level.you can die if it's too low for too long.I felt I was falling apart and my dr made me feel it was all in my mind.I'm relieved it was NOT all in my mind and I KNEW deep down inside that something was really wrong. I know my own body the best.just by being on the supplements he told me to take in just a matter of 2 weeks, the bone pain is subsiding, I have more muscle strength in my lower legs again, I can smell again, my brain is not so foggy and my hands aren't shaking like they used to either.the list goes on, but I"ve already taken up so much space here by this lengthy journal of mine.I had to let you know just for the sake of the posssiblity you too are going misdiagnosed or un-diagnosed.go to another dr. before you too sufffer with something too long.I really feel bad for you and hope they're able to find out what's going on.I'm on zoloft and I love it. I take it for an anxiety condition called "g.a.d."general anxiety disorder. it helps me tremendously.have you tried this one yet?hope to hear back from you.Linda
    lintek 26 Replies
    • November 10, 2007
    • 02:59 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement