Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

please help excruciating leg pain!!!

Posted In: Muscle conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: dinkidi
  • October 7, 2007
  • 08:40 PM

Hi I get real bad pains in my left leg right at the top in the thigh. The pain is like someones pushing down on my leg so hard its like its going to fall off. The pain only happens when i stand up or walk. I also get a sharp pain sometimes when i breath in and out in my back/stomach. I have beeen to a doctor but they checked nothing jus gave me pain killers and a sick note. Can anyone relate to this or have any ideas please. Thanks. :(

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• Maybe a pinched nerve? Have you asked your doctor to do an MRI? I had horrible pains down my left leg for over a year before my dr. sent me for an MRI. I wish I had asked for one sooner - it did show some skeletal abnormalities which caused a nerve to become pinched. I'm still looking for a non-surgical approach to get the nerve unpinched but at least I know what I'm dealing with! It seems like nowadays WE need to tell the doctors what tests we need done or else we get sent home with Motrin!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2007
    • 11:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I went back to the doctors on Tues and he said i just had to wait for physio. But the thing is i can bend my leg fine, the pain is jus when i walk or stand. the pain seems to be deep in the thigh and not at the joint. So i really dont see hoe this will help! Did you have pyhsio did it help?? The pain hurts so much when i first get up but i feel the doc thinks i'm making it up. I'm 26yrs of age with young children and i need to get it sorted. Any advice on help dealing with it. Thanks.
    dinkidi 2 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 05:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Does your pain happen if you just stand for awhile? And does the pain stop if you sit down? If yes…it could be spinal stenosis (pinched spinal cord). The pain is also called neurogenic claudication. :( An MRI would show it. But the doctor has to know where to take the image of the spine. Because sometimes the spinal cord can be compressed in the neck or upper back, or low back. Do you have any stiffness in your back? Or arthritis? Did you have an injury? I researched this because I have the same symptoms…pain in my leg muscles when I walk. (My legs get heavy and stiff, too.) Undiagnosed for several years. It has gotten worse and now I can only stand or walk for about 30 minutes. My pain stops only if I sit down, and my doctor thought it was spinal stenosis. Bur he did not take an MRI of my spine in my pelvis area, where it is stiff and sore. He took an MRI of my lumbar spine and neck. He found degenerative disc disease and mild cervical stenosis, but not bad enough to cause my symptoms. So now I am back to square one, and think I need an MRI of my pelvis area. So I still do not know what is wrong, and the doctor sent me away with no answers, and does not listen to me, because he did not find what he was looking for! :mad: I think he should look for other posible causes. I asked him and he said "he does not know the answer" Why? Also…another cause of your leg pain could be vascular claudication (pain caused because the blood vessels are not giving enough blood to the legs.) This kind of pain stops when you stop walking, and is diagnosed with vascular doppler tests. (Blood pressure readings in the legs.)
    jeanill 24 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 09:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I did do physical therapy, but that was after the MRI showed what the problem was. Didn't help, actually made it worse because the therapist was focusing on strengthening my abdominals to compensate for my weak back. All that did was irritate my nerve and cause the pain to become worse and happen more often. It's strange because when this all started about 3 years ago, my pain was only when standing or walking, like you. Then I started getting it when sitting down. Then for a while, it would wake me up at night (thank goodness that doesn't happen anymore!) Now it's more concentrated in my calf than in the upper leg where it originally started and it's completely unpredictable - there's absolutely no pattern of when it happens. I really think it sounds like you have a pinched nerve - maybe try the therapy for about three weeks and see if it makes a difference. Everyone's different so what doesn't work for one person may work for another. If the therapy doesn't work, then you can go back to your doctor and specifically request an MRI of your lower back. One more question: do you have flat feet? That can also cause all sorts of problems with your lower back and pinched nerves. That's the next thing I'm getting checked. I can totally relate to dealing with the pain when having young children to take care of - mine are 5 and almost 4. Don't let the doctors be in control of your quality of life and the kind of mom you want to be to your kids. The most important thing you can do is take charge of your own healthcare and ASK for whatever tests will help find your problem so that you can hopefully find a solution. I listened to my doctor - who is very nice - for about a year and as a result got nowhere with my condition. Then I realized that as soon as I walked out of his office, I was on my own. When I was crumpled down on the floor in tears from the pain, me and my kids were the only ones affected. So I got a lot more direct about the tests or procedures I wanted done and I feel that I'm getting a lot closer to the solution by process of elimination. Hope that helps! Karen
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 05:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The pain happens when i get up from being sat down. Once the pain eases i am able to walk but when i'm standing for a long period of time i get the pain to. I have to move the leg around. When i'm sat down no pain at all i feel fine. I have had problems with my back for the last year or so, but at the moment theres no real pain in my back. My leg also becomes quite heavy and sometimes when getting in and out of the car i have to lift my leg up. My back tends to go and i have real pain for a few weeks then it will disappear for few mths. I feel the doctors have been no help really and just keep fobing me off till my physio. I dont think this will help but who knows maybe it will!! I have to try. It's such a weird pain to describe like someones squeezing the insides of the top of my thigh so hard or pushing down on it so hard. Some days the pain is worse than others. Thanks for the info i will look these up. I only hope this pain will go away. :(
    dinkidi 2 Replies
    • October 12, 2007
    • 08:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You need to look higher than your leg. Your condition doesn't occur in the spine or the leg but more accutely in the hip. Most likely a hip subluxation. Very painful and could possibly be treated by a really good physical therapist (not one that concentrates on strengthening your core) In the mean time take some alleve and while standing run a tennis ball up and down the bottom of your foot. (use the leg that doesn't hurt. Were you jetskiing, snowmobiling at any point? Hi I get real bad pains in my left leg right at the top in the thigh. The pain is like someones pushing down on my leg so hard its like its going to fall off. The pain only happens when i stand up or walk. I also get a sharp pain sometimes when i breath in and out in my back/stomach. I have beeen to a doctor but they checked nothing just gave me pain killers and a sick note. Can anyone relate to this or have any ideas please. Thanks. :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 27, 2012
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • What your describing sounds just like my hip pain. I didn't believe it at first, i thought my hip was on my side not in my thigh, but it is. Mine felt like deep muscle pain and sometimes it felt like my bone marrow was frozen. I would reccommend an X-ray of your hip. I had perthes disease which messed my hip up pretty bad. Once it starts going, you need to change your lifestyle to care for your hip or it will only get worse.
    leilani 4 Replies
    • September 28, 2012
    • 03:05 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement