Discussions By Condition: Liver conditions

Can I have contacted Hep C ?

Posted In: Liver conditions 9 Replies
  • Posted By: Wondering
  • October 7, 2007
  • 05:38 PM

:( I recently found out my boyfriend I've had for the pass 3yrs has Hep C, he did not inform me, he knew he had it. I found a letter he had received from the Board of Health stating he has tested positive for Hep C. I freaked out, I have not been tested yet. He then reveals his past drug abuse prior to meeting me. (Heroin) I am devastated, confused, etc. If I have contacted Hep C from him, can he get in trouble for infecting me, putting my life at risk, instead of informing me of his status. He said he failed to inform me because he figured I wouldn't want to be bothered with someone who had a past such as himself, he is probably right but still... What a ****r! He is 27 and I am 28. Yes we are stil fairly young... I plan to get tested this week... worst case scenario... Can I and should I press charges ?

Reply Flag this Discussion

9 Replies:

• :( I recently found out my boyfriend I've had for the pass 3yrs has Hep C, he did not inform me, he knew he had it. I found a letter he had received from the Board of Health stating he has tested positive for Hep C. I freaked out, I have not been tested yet. He then reveals his past drug abuse prior to meeting me. (Heroin) I am devastated, confused, etc. If I have contacted Hep C from him, can he get in trouble for infecting me, putting my life at risk, instead of informing me of his status. He said he failed to inform me because he figured I wouldn't want to be bothered with someone who had a past such as himself, he is probably right but still... What a ****r! He is 27 and I am 28. Yes we are stil fairly young... I plan to get tested this week... worst case scenario... Can I and should I press charges ? NO YOU SHOULD NOT PRESS CHARGES, THIS DISEASE IS NOT LIKE HAVING AIDS. THERE SOME OF US WHO CONTACTED THIS DISEASE THROUGH OPERATIONS BEFORE MUCH WAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS DISEASE. SOME DO NOT TELL THEY HAVE THIS DISEASE BECAUSE THEY ARE SCARED THEY WILL BE JUDGED, JUST AS YOU HAVE JUDGED YOUR FRIEND. YOU MUST NOT CARE TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM OR YOU WOULD CHECK OUT THE DETAILS ON THIS DISEASE AND THEN MAKE A DECISION ON WHETHER OR NOT HE IS A ****r AND FOR THE RECORD, I AM A FEMALE, I HAVE THIS DISEASE, HAVE NEVER DONE DRUGS, NOR BEEN A DRINKER, I TOO AM JUDGED WHEN SOMEONE FINDS OUT I HAVE THIS DISEASE, PLEASE I IMPLORE YOU TO WAIT BEFORE YOU KICK THIS MAN OUT OF YOUR LIFE, HIS PREVIOUS LIFE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE WITH HIM, YOU SHOULD THINK ONLY OF TODAY AND NOT YESTERDAY. ASK GOD FOR HIS HELP IN UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOUR FRIEND IS GOING THROUGH. SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN THERE AND HAS A WONDERFUL MATE WHO STUCK BY ME AND DID NOT TURN AGAINST ME FOR BEING SICK.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2007
    • 02:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • lady Are You Nuts ? He Put My Life At Risk... Did You Inform Your Partner Of Your Status Before Hand ? His Previous Life Has Alot To Do With Me, He Is A ****r For Not Informing Me Previously About His Situation. I Did Read About Hep C... What About My Unborn Children ? This Can Be Passed On From Mother To Child At Birth. Why Should An Innocent Child Have To Suffer Because An Ex- Heroin Addict Decided Not To Inform Me Of His Status. Did You Read About The Disease ? Not Only Can He Not Donate Blood/ Nor Sperm. And I Happen To Be A Blood Donor.... Now What??? I Must Not Care About Him ? Does He Care About Me ? I Do Not Do Drugs Either/social Drinker. Knowingly Having An Infectious Disease And Not Informing Your Partner Is That Ok In Your Book? So He Is A ****r In My Book !!!!!
    Wondering 2 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 00:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • lady Are You Nuts ? He Put My Life At Risk... Did You Inform Your Partner Of Your Status Before Hand ? His Previous Life Has Alot To Do With Me, He Is A ****r For Not Informing Me Previously About His Situation. I Did Read About Hep C... What About My Unborn Children ? This Can Be Passed On From Mother To Child At Birth. Why Should An Innocent Child Have To Suffer Because An Ex- Heroin Addict Decided Not To Inform Me Of His Status. Did You Read About The Disease ? Not Only Can He Not Donate Blood/ Nor Sperm. And I Happen To Be A Blood Donor.... Now What??? I Must Not Care About Him ? Does He Care About Me ? I Do Not Do Drugs Either/Social Drinker. Knowingly Having An Infectious Disease And Not Informing Your Partner Is That Ok In Your Book? So He Is A ****r In My Book !!!!!
    Wondering 2 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 00:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :( I recently found out my boyfriend I've had for the pass 3yrs has Hep C, he did not inform me, he knew he had it. I found a letter he had received from the Board of Health stating he has tested positive for Hep C. I freaked out, I have not been tested yet. He then reveals his past drug abuse prior to meeting me. (Heroin) I am devastated, confused, etc. If I have contacted Hep C from him, can he get in trouble for infecting me, putting my life at risk, instead of informing me of his status. He said he failed to inform me because he figured I wouldn't want to be bothered with someone who had a past such as himself, he is probably right but still... What a ****r! He is 27 and I am 28. Yes we are stil fairly young... I plan to get tested this week... worst case scenario... Can I and should I press charges ?IF THIS WAS DONE OUT OF MALICE TO HURT U , YES THIS IS A CRIME AND IS CONSIDERED INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUTER AND IF SOMEONE WITH A DEADLY DISEASE LIKE AIDS PASSES IT TO U OUT OF MALICE IT IS CONSIDERED THIS. AND FOR YOUR FRIEND IF HE REALLY CARED FOR U HE WOULD HAVE TOLD U THIS. THERES ALWAYS PROTCTION. I HAVE HEP-C, HEP B AND I HAVE 2 TEENAGERS I HAVE TO WATCH 24/7, BECAUSE IT IS A 24 HOUR JOB TRYING TO KEP THEM SAFE FROM THIS VIRUS. SO PLEASE B CHECKED SOON AND MAYBE YOU CAN DO THE RIGHT THING, IF U R POSITIVE.
    lizabeth1489 2 Replies
    • November 16, 2007
    • 09:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Originally Posted by Wondering http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif :( I recently found out my boyfriend I've had for the pass 3yrs has Hep C, he did not inform me, he knew he had it. I found a letter he had received from the Board of Health stating he has tested positive for Hep C. I freaked out, I have not been tested yet. He then reveals his past drug abuse prior to meeting me. (Heroin) I am devastated, confused, etc. If I have contacted Hep C from him, can he get in trouble for infecting me, putting my life at risk, instead of informing me of his status. He said he failed to inform me because he figured I wouldn't want to be bothered with someone who had a past such as himself, he is probably right but still... What a ****r! He is 27 and I am 28. Yes we are stil fairly young... I plan to get tested this week... worst case scenario... Can I and should I press charges ? How Hepatitis C Is TransmittedBlood-to-Blood ContactThe main way HCV is transmitted from one person to another is through blood-to-blood contact. If you received blood or blood products and/or a tissue or organ transplant prior to 1992, you should be tested for HCV. Other examples of blood-to-blood contact that can lead to HCV transmission are listed below.intravenous drug use with unsterile, used needlestattoos with unsterile, used equipment or unclean ink potsacupuncture treatments with unsterile, used needlesnasally inhaled drug use with unsterile, used paraphernaliaaccidental needle sticks among health care professionals dental work performed with unsterile, used instrumentsother health care procedures that do not adhere to standard sterilization proceduresPregnancy/Breast FeedingThe risk of transmission of HCV from an infected mother to her infant at birth is 3-6%. Some data suggest delivery by C-section may reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission. There is almost no risk of transmitting HCV by breast feeding unless there are breaks in the skin and bleeding. Sexual IntercourseThe risk of transmitting HCV through sexual intercourse in monogamous heterosexuals is less than 3-6%. There is no study data on the risk of sexual transmission in a monogamous homosexual relationship. Things such as the number of sexual partners in a lifetime, sexual practices, and the presence of sexually transmitted diseases can influence the risk of HCV transmission. This info comes from: http://hepcchallenge.org/ one of the best laymans guide to Hep C.This excerpt was taken from a ebook on their site. http://hepcchallenge.org/choices/overview.htm I highly recommend you go there and get educated.As it seems from your post, you have not even been tested yet... go do it. Although consensus says HCV being passed through sexual contact is very slim. (There are so many other ways that people are being infected and knowledge is power. i.e.: hair salons, tattoos, dentists, manicures, pedicures, blood transfusions/surgeries before 1992 etc.)The test is a simple blood test and can be gotten at your local Health Department for free or minimal charge.. I got my test at the cost of $10.00. And was tested for the exact same reason you are stating, having a LT relationship with an infected partner.As far as his liability.. please. My advise is to get tested and see if you even have anything to stress about. In my opinion, yes, morally he should have informed you if he had prior knowledge. But as far as legal goes ... it is not like HIV/AIDS. The disease, HCV, itself is not deadly... it is the complications that come of it that are deadly. With there being so many other ways of contact, it would seemingly be impossible to prove it was him that it was gotten from. The main fact is this is not a life threatening disease if it is diagnosed in time. That is why GETTING TESTED is VITAL.Do yourself and many others a favor and try not to judge, as your judgment could have been the reason he did not tell you in the first place, as it is often the reason that most do not get tested.I wish you all the best, and please GET TESTED! The worse that can happen is a positive result, but if it is, then hopefully you have caught it in time that it has not gotten to the point of liver disease and it is a controllable situation. The best that can happen is that you test negative...which IS A VERY GOOD THING! The point being, do not put anger ahead of your health. If exposed, you need to be tested. Go to the above linked site, it is a wealth of information.Many Blessings.~M
    Orphan In The Masses 1 Replies
    • December 21, 2007
    • 09:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Kudos to you orphan in the masses! My sister has hep c. She has been with the same man for at least 20 something years. He has never caught it. I have a lot of friends with hep c and none of their partners got it. I say do the research because it seems that you missed that part about getting it from sexual contact or kissing. I say get tested and then worry about it then if you're positive. Bet cha you're not. Good Luck.;)
    klschup 42 Replies
    • January 27, 2008
    • 09:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to agree with you. He should have told you. I guarantee you that he was informed of this. When someone is diagnosed with Hep C, they are warned not to share toothbrushes or razors and they are also told not to have unprotected sex. Hep C is only contracted through blood and it is very hard to get it through sexual intercourse but it is definitely possible.You are the only person who knows what kind of guy you think he is at this point in your relationship and if he has put his past behind him. It sounds to me like you're pretty mad and if I put myself in your shoes, I know I would feel exactly the same way. I don't want to offend anyone out there who has hep c, not matter how you contracted it. The issue here is that he should have told her "period!"Glad you're getting tested! Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2008
    • 04:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, Wondering...it's people like you that give HepC a bad name! Not all people that get it have been drug users. And those that were, and have changed their ways, well, BRAVO to them. My ex was a former heroin user that cleaned up his act. That didn't make him a ****r in my book, but a winner. The past exists only to be forgiven. And I probably got my HepC from him, although not from sharing his former drug...I tearfully asked a nurse during treatment how I could have gotten this disease, when I had never shared needles with him, (even though that is what everyone thinks when you tell them you have it.) The kindest words I ever heard were her reply: "Did you ever use his razor to shave your legs?" Ignorant people do think you are some sort of ****r when you tell them you have HepC because of the popular belief that you get it ONLY from drug use, but I know that's absolutely not true. Along with razor sharing, there are literally hundreds of ways you can get it from another person. Did you know that there is a high incident of HepC in Vietnam era veterans? Did you know that it may have been spread by the hypo-spray guns they used to innoculate the military back then? NO ONE knows where this disease came from, and indeed, there has even been talk that it may have come from the government in the first place. I have only momentarily blamed my ex for my disease, and quickly got over it, because he didn't even know he had it...I was diagnosed first, years after we divorced, and no junkie in the 70's ever even considered HepC or AIDS, because they didn't exist back then. I was the one that told him he should be tested for it. Sadly enough, my second husband (of 11 years) was the one to be diagnosed first, and I probably gave it to him. Does he blame me, and think I'm a ****r because of this? When asked just now for his 'official' answer, he said "No! No way! People don't do that! Are you crazy?!". Because love conquers all. Don't be angry with your bf, Wondering. Be proud of him for overcoming his addiction. Be strong for him in this tough time. Forgive him...Love him. You will be a better person for it.
    goodAlise 3 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 09:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • kudos to you orphan in the masses! My sister has hep c. She has been with the same man for at least 20 something years. He has never caught it. I have a lot of friends with hep c and none of their partners got it. I say do the research because it seems that you missed that part about getting it from sexual contact or kissing. I say get tested and then worry about it then if you're positive. Bet cha you're not. Good luck.;)i know its a long time since you posed this, but i just read it. I was married for 30 years and my husband is a health care provider. I have hep c and never passed it to him or either of my two children who were born after i got it. I have been symptom free since 1986 and never took a drug to cure it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 18, 2009
    • 04:46 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement