Discussions By Condition: Injury

How long does it take to recover from a broken jaw?

Posted In: Injury 304 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 29, 2006
  • 09:15 PM

How long does it take to recover from a broken jaw?

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I once had a hairline fracture through my jaw and it had been knocked well out of place. It took me almost a month before I could eat food other than soup and about 5 weeks before I could open my mouth even halfway to full.So generally...quite a long time!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 10:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my jaw in october 06 and its now jan 07. It was a pretty nasty break which caused fractures on both sides of my jaw. I had to have plates fitted on both sides and along with complete numbness on my chin and lower lip I looked like a stand in for Herman Munster with a square head for two to three weeks after the surgery. Well as I say its now January 07 and I would say I have recovered to about 70 to 80 percent.The break has completely healed but I still have a little numbness to one side of my chin but I know with a little more time this should completely recover. What I have noticed though is my teeth are alot more sensitive, especially when brushing. Its a pretty scary thing when this happens and believe me I had one of the worse breaks, I remember when it happened to me and I was starting to recover I looked on the net to try and find out how long recovery would take and if a full recovery would happen etc..etc.. I found alot of sites with Doctors telling what to expect but found very little information from people who actually suffered it, hence this story, well what I will tell you is this unless the chin has been badly cut causing nerve damage, the feeling should return. How you will know this healing is starting is there will be a tingling sensation in the chin and it will get very itchy but the itch wont go away by scratching the chin because you cant feel the scratching, you just have to bear with it and it will go away itself (pretty darn annoying at times) but this is a sure sign the healing process has started. So as they say "keep the chin up" and try not to worry about it because time is the best healer here. Hope this helps. Marty
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 13, 2007
    • 00:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yeah, how funny.. i broke my jaw back in nov 07, and its healed now but i have lil numbness in my lower lip and chin.. and every now and then i have a lil itch.... it started to scare me a lil... but now that i heard from some 1 else im ok.... si i guess its healing.... i didnt know if i was gonna have my feeling back or not,, or was it gonna turn into something serious...
    gdjack82 1 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 10:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my jaw (don't laugh but I really did fall down the stairs) six weeks ago and had to have my mouth wired shut for 5 weeks. This certainly help me get rid of half a stone in weight I had wanted to lose. The braces and wires came off last Monday but I guess it will take a while longer before I can eat things like vegetables or walnuts etc.I broke my jaw in three places: left, right and in the chin area. According to the x-ray all healed well and my teeth are nicely aligned. I lost three teeth though. Luckily this was at the back so you can't really see it. It will mean a lot of time and money for dental work.I still can't open my mouth wide and the right side of my face feels numb. I sometimes have painful twinges in my right ear. I believe it will be the same as with all fractures and will take well over a year until everything is back to normal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I broke my jaw in July 06, it is now April 07. I broke it in two places; a hairline break on my right side and a complete break in the chin. I have two plates in my chin and lost a lot of feeling in my chin and lower lip. I was wired shut for 8 weeks, therefore loosing some weight. After 12 weeks I started chewing food again. I now still do not have feeling in my lower teeth and my teeth have started to rot because of the nerve damage. My teeth are also very sensitive, even on the top where the break did not affect.
  • It usually takes 1-2 months if it's a "simple" break. I broke mine about 3 weeks ago, and am pretty much back to normal (with the exception of a few chipped teeth).Complications like TMJ or infections can happen, though, so be sure to use ice, anti-inflammatories and take all of your antibiotics.Cheershttp://www.broken-jaw.com
  • I broke my jaw in two places the end of July 06 and am still dealing with daily pain. The main fracture was along the root of a molar, so that tooth hurts every day. And just starting the past few days I get more than the normal (which I've learned to deal with) ear drum pain from the left joint break. And today the TMJ symptoms have started with the popping/pain in the left joint.I am going back to the dentist and/or oral surgeon to see what can be done.I was wired for four weeks and then the arch bars were taken off after 6.The worst experience ever, IMO.
  • i broke my jaw on march 7th and not its april 23rd i got my wires off on the 19th and i was wondering when is the usual time where i can open my mouth all the way again. i mean its been a few days and i can eat a little bit like fries and what not but those dumb exercises that the dr has me do really hurt my jaw muscles.so my question is will the jaw open up and heal by itself slowly or am i going to have to do those exercises to get my jaw back to normal?
  • broke my jaw because a ***k **s guy hit me while i wasnt lookin i didnt have wires though i had elastic bands i have a pin on the left side and a plate in my chin i got my elastic bands took off in 2 and a half weeks and the brace took off the next week from reading i think im the fastest dude to recover from a broke jaw half of my chin and my lip r numb having a problem dealin wit it though my face is my meal ticket i dont kno what to i pray to god i get the feling back i just wanna hear from someone who has got the feeling back because i dont kno how long i can take this
  • I broke my jaw last Friday.Sounds like i have some way to go untill im off the soup and mash potatoes!!Huw
  • i broke my jaw in 3 places 2 weeks ago. 1 on each side by my ears, and 1 spot on the side of my chin. they didn't actually find the fracture in my chin until i was having my jaw wired shut, so they decided not to put the plate in (which they normally do). the doctor said since i had the permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth from having braces years ago, that helped keep the break together and prevented them from noticing it in the x-rays. i hope that it'll be ok! i've been wired shut for 1 week now and 2 weeks to go. i am so HUNGRY. there's only so much soup and smoothies a person can have :) what makes me more mad is that it completely ruins a lot of summer plans i had, that i won't have the chance to do again in the future!! they never told me that it might be longer than 3 weeks, but when i was in a few days ago for a checkup on the alignment of my teeth (they were off really badly from the fracture) the doctor told me that it could be 2-3 more months before the actual "hardware" is taken off! but it's looking good so it might not be that long. so frustrating.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• im like the guy above me, ***k as mofos hit me from behind.knocked me out. not too sure if punch or kick fractured my lower jaw but it was fractured in 3 places. the worst part about it is that when i went for surgery it was performed by a plastic surgeon who didnt do a good job of immobilizing the fracture so i had to get a second surgery to remove plates and wire my mouth shut.
  • wow, a plastic surgeon did your surgery?? what had he done wrong? that must've been awful for you. what was your recovery time?
  • Has anyone gone through a root canal on the tooth and realized the orthodontist has possibly caused a hairline fracture in your jaw or may be a stress fracture? This while performing the root canal procedure. How rare is this occurence and why does something like this occur?I would appreciate any good past experience in this area to diagnose or recover from this problem.
  • I broke my jaw in 3 places on the 3rd of June and i had surgery on the 6th of June the plastic surgeon said the surgery went well and i didnt have to have my jaw wired shut....... do any of you know how long it will take before my jaw will completely heal since the surgery turned out good.
  • my jaw was fractured in 3 places. its been 3 weeks since surgery, and my face still looks funny, how long is this gonna last????please reply
  • my jaw was fractured in 3 places. its been 3 weeks since surgery, and my face still looks funny, how long is this gonna last????please replyhow does it look funny? it's been 3 weeks since i had my surgery too, but it's looking pretty normal. my lip is still swollen where i bit through it, but that's about it! i see the oral surgeon tomorrow and i'm hoping for good news, they said before i might need to keep the arch bars on for a few months!! i hope not.
  • my jaw was broken in line with a wisdom tooth socket and my mouth has been wired shut for 4 weeks and its not completely healed but they let me out of the wires cuz it looks decent but my jaw is somewhat crooked now. is that a by product that will go away when its completely healed?
  • i think we are all the same here i broke my jaw 2 weeks agoo and already frustated but i have to keep it up
  • im like the guy above me, ***k as mofos hit me from behind.knocked me out. not too sure if punch or kick fractured my lower jaw but it was fractured in 3 places. the worst part about it is that when i went for surgery it was performed by a plastic surgeon who didnt do a good job of immobilizing the fracture so i had to get a second surgery to remove plates and wire my mouth shut.It was probably only one guy ...everybody says that they got attacked by mofos !!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement