Discussions By Condition: Kidney conditions

How long does a person live in Kidney Failure?

Posted In: Kidney conditions 32 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 30, 2007
  • 05:04 AM

My father is on hospice in my home for the last 7 weeks for COPD. However, he also has other health issues, like heart, blood pressure, diabetes, Colon Cancer, prostrate cancer and kidney failure. His last blood work in the hospital showed him to be a 2.7-3.2 on his Cre? levels. (sorry, cant spell it)

Dad has stopped eating to the point where he has one-three bites of food. He drinks, but not like he use to. His body is seeping fluid, especially from his belly. His feet are swollen, and have been for about 6 days now. He went this week at 39 hours with no urine output, then he urinated 590cc's, then nothing again. Now, it has been 26 more hours of no urine. His skin is so itchy that he digs at it. (we use anti itch lotions, and itch pills)

Dad vomits almost all the time when he tries food. He also feels sick to his stomach. His skin is dark on his arms, and his belly looks bloated and red.

Because he is on hospice, there will be no heroic methods to save him, however, I need to know what happens to him as his body keeps shutting down, especially his kidneys. My mom died from kidney failure, but she was on dialysis for 1.6 years before she decided to stop treatments. She actually died peacefully the very next morning. She simply said she was tired and went to sleep, forever.

Is my dad suffering? I mean, I don't see him in pain, but he is on medication. Is he dying an awful death? I am afraid to sleep at night, and worry that the end may be soon. How long does death normally occur when the kidneys are not producing and he has those other symptoms?

Please help me, this is urgent to me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

32 Replies:

• I was wondering the same thing how does someone with Kidney Failure have to live...My Husbands grandmother was just told she is in Kidney Failure....She is very weak, sleeps all the time, does not eat. Not sure aboutt he urie part....I know she has been either att he Dr.s all this past week or att he ER getting fluids put in here because she has been severly Dehydrated....I am trying to help me mother-in-law prepare for the end but we are lost.....Grandmother is 83 years old her sister died of Kidney Failure at 83...Is this the end??????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • my mom is having kidney failure right now she had a transplant back in 04 and it shut down a week ago she does not want to get onto treatments but everyone else wants her to i want her to do what makes her happy and she say that she would rather not be on treatments bc she can live her life to the fullest that way and not be sick all the time the only thing is is that my bothers and my dad dont see it that way i dont know what to say to them they said if she didnt go with treatments she has 2 mths to live with treatments they didnt say she cant even walk my dad carries her every where they go she doesnt eat i dont know about the drinking or anything else we took her to the hospital last night and they gave her pain meds and told her to go to treatment and they sent her home the hospitals around here are trying to get her to do thing against her will what should i do and how long does she have if she is on treatment and how bad will she get on it
  • My Dad has the same conditions as the top thread the worst for him is the itching we have tried everything but doctors have said the itch will stay till the end he has little time left and it is a horrible way to go his body fills with fluid at night it fills out his stomach and when he stands up it fills up his legs.he has lived longer than expected it all comes down to the will to live when they decide they have had enough they will go quickly.
    ceejay77 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • if someone had one kidney removed, and now they have kidney cancer, so they like dont have a kidney and they cant move exept for arms and legs) but can talk, is on treatments, had it for 3 weeks about, how long till the end?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 6, 2009
    • 02:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • if someone had one kidney removed, and now they have kidney cancer, so they like dont have a kidney and they cant move exept for arms and legs) but can talk, is on treatments, had it for 3 weeks about, how long till the end?I am wonderimg the same thing. My mom who is 57 is now suffering from kidne failure. She had a tube placed in her left kidney back in February 2009 to help it function. It is being ate up by cancer. They said it would be a matter of time before the tube would be consumed by the cancer and the pther kidney would eventually shut down from taking on all the work. She has another serious illness as well. The cancer started out in her breast. This is the third time she has had breast cancer so the doctors told her if it came back a third time it would'nt be anything they could do for her. Well it's back now with avengence. It spread from her breast to her bones. From her bones to her, intestines, uterus, ovaries, stomach and kidneys. She can keep anything down, not even water from the cancer blockages in her stomach and intestines. The doctors told us she was expected to pass back in February of 2009. She is still here thankfully but she is suffering. Her biles backed up to the point she looked pregnant and she started throwing them up. They pumped it out and she was fine as far as that went until now, 7 months later. Her stomach filled up again. She is constantly throwing up green fluid which are her bowels. The fluid started to build up in and around her stomach as well as in her lungs. The doctors just pumped out 2 liters of fluid from around her stomach yesterday. I feel sooo bad, worthless and helpless that I can't suffer for her. Words can even describe. She does'nt mind going on dialysis but I think at this point dialysis would'nt do anything for her but prolong her pain and suffering. She struggles to talk. She has'nt eaten in 4 days now and she has'nt peed at all because of the blockage and the vomiting. She is on an iv, that is about the only form of fluid intake she has but it eventually builds up in her to the point where the doctors have to pump it out again because it's not passing properly. I just don't want my mother to suffer the way she is but I don't want her to go either. I don't see how a human body can take all of this. She has to be suffering the most painful death I personally know of. Morphine does'nt fully help her pain. She is constantly druged up to the point she seems like a zoombie. She will plead for a drink of water because her mouth will be so dry from her sleeping with mouth wide open from the drugs. By the time the staw gets to her mouth to drink she is back passed out again. Can you imagine being awake but literally fall asleep every 10 seconds no matter how hard you try to function? It's a nightmare. I jump up every time she does it because I think she stopped breathing in front of me. I hate watching that because it looks like she dies a hundred time every time she nodes off. It scares the $h!t of me.We are waiting to meet with the doctor to discuss her options and to ask how much longer she has. The devistating part of it all is that I know with or without dialysis, she still would'nt have long.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2009
    • 04:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My father is on hospice in my home for the last 7 weeks for COPD. However, he also has other health issues, like heart, blood pressure, diabetes, Colon Cancer, prostrate cancer and kidney failure. His last blood work in the hospital showed him to be a 2.7-3.2 on his Cre? levels. (sorry, cant spell it) Dad has stopped eating to the point where he has one-three bites of food. He drinks, but not like he use to. His body is seeping fluid, especially from his belly. His feet are swollen, and have been for about 6 days now. He went this week at 39 hours with no urine output, then he urinated 590cc's, then nothing again. Now, it has been 26 more hours of no urine. His skin is so itchy that he digs at it. (we use anti itch lotions, and itch pills) Dad vomits almost all the time when he tries food. He also feels sick to his stomach. His skin is dark on his arms, and his belly looks bloated and red. Because he is on hospice, there will be no heroic methods to save him, however, I need to know what happens to him as his body keeps shutting down, especially his kidneys. My mom died from kidney failure, but she was on dialysis for 1.6 years before she decided to stop treatments. She actually died peacefully the very next morning. She simply said she was tired and went to sleep, forever. Is my dad suffering? I mean, I don't see him in pain, but he is on medication. Is he dying an awful death? I am afraid to sleep at night, and worry that the end may be soon. How long does death normally occur when the kidneys are not producing and he has those other symptoms?Please help me, this is urgent to me.i am wondering the same thing,my mother in law who is 76 she has been on dialysis for 4 years and the dr said her kidneys are working less then 1 percent,just the other day the dr said she is declineing quickly,was wondering what that meant and how long does she have to live,please inneed of some straight answers.thank you
  • i was wondering the same thing,my mother in law who is 76 she is on hospice and the dr said she has renal failure and the dr also said she is declineing quick,and i am wondering how long she has to go through all of this,she is so miserable
    rhensley45 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • My friend just went home with hospice today. He had one kidney removed in Oct and then the other one failed 10 days ago. He stopped dialysis on Monday (last treatment) and has not urinated for 10 days. They say it will be 3-12 days max before he is gone. Dialysis can keep one alive for a long time but once you stop and have other issues like cancer such as Allen, you will expire rather quickly. No one at the hospital wants to give you the truth. I guess us good ones with good insurance are cash cows for the hospitals so they will continue doing things that won't increase our life span -- just their pocket books!if someone had one kidney removed, and now they have kidney cancer, so they like dont have a kidney and they cant move exept for arms and legs) but can talk, is on treatments, had it for 3 weeks about, how long till the end?
  • My father is on hospice in my home for the last 7 weeks for COPD. However, he also has other health issues, like heart, blood pressure, diabetes, Colon Cancer, prostrate cancer and kidney failure. His last blood work in the hospital showed him to be a 2.7-3.2 on his Cre? levels. (sorry, cant spell it) Dad has stopped eating to the point where he has one-three bites of food. He drinks, but not like he use to. His body is seeping fluid, especially from his belly. His feet are swollen, and have been for about 6 days now. He went this week at 39 hours with no urine output, then he urinated 590cc's, then nothing again. Now, it has been 26 more hours of no urine. His skin is so itchy that he digs at it. (we use anti itch lotions, and itch pills) Dad vomits almost all the time when he tries food. He also feels sick to his stomach. His skin is dark on his arms, and his belly looks bloated and red. Because he is on hospice, there will be no heroic methods to save him, however, I need to know what happens to him as his body keeps shutting down, especially his kidneys. My mom died from kidney failure, but she was on dialysis for 1.6 years before she decided to stop treatments. She actually died peacefully the very next morning. She simply said she was tired and went to sleep, forever. Is my dad suffering? I mean, I don't see him in pain, but he is on medication. Is he dying an awful death? I am afraid to sleep at night, and worry that the end may be soon. How long does death normally occur when the kidneys are not producing and he has those other symptoms?Please help me, this is urgent to me. I'm so sorry for you and your Dad. My Dad has a heart problem, kidney failure, and the doctor told us that he would die in 6 months, that was 2 years ego and He still with us! Don't lose hope! my sweet Mother was diagnose with kidney failure, heart problem,and high blood pressure today. I am terrible sad about that. She is going to be 68 in May 15, she is full of life. I just want to tell you that God love you and your Dad, you should try to make dad as happy as he can be. We need to be strong for our parents. We need to have faith that everything will be according to God's will. I know is really hard to see our parent have pain, but We need to be their connection to life and happiness.
  • My Dad has the same conditions as the top thread the worst for him is the itching we have tried everything but doctors have said the itch will stay till the end he has little time left and it is a horrible way to go his body fills with fluid at night it fills out his stomach and when he stands up it fills up his legs.he has lived longer than expected it all comes down to the will to live when they decide they have had enough they will go quickly.To stop itching - omit all foods with phosphorus in it. Strict renal diet no exceptions. Take 50 mg of Benadryl (antihistamine) as directed - 3 times a day. This will make them sleep more but they sleep alot anyway. Better peaceful sleep that torturous itching. His Kidney doctor can change the type of dialyser he is using to one made of more natural fibers as opposed to the synthetic layers inside the dialyser he is currently using. Ask the doctor to write an order that the nurse has to rinse an extra bag of fluid before starting dialysis. I assume you have tried Calamine lotion or other anti-itching products from a drug store. Go to health store and get BACH Flower rescue remedy. Very popular in England. It is flowers mashed to get their oils and mixed with cream for application and a tincture to put under the tongue to stop trauma happening to the body.
  • ya i am going through kinda the same thing my dad has kidney failure and his liver is really bad he also has diabetes and i am worried much about him i think that he will not make very far. i hope more people look into this and see whats really going on with people that have diabetes and what there familys are going through. i want more docters to find a real good cure for it so noone has to worry anymore and we all hope for the best and just wish it will all go away
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hunny I know your feeling. My grandfather had Prostate and Stomach Cancer. I watched him fade slowly, but if your dad is on medication and they are keeping him comfortable he should not be in any pain. Also a good tecnique is to be there for him. That is the best thing you could do.My father is on hospice in my home for the last 7 weeks for COPD. However, he also has other health issues, like heart, blood pressure, diabetes, Colon Cancer, prostrate cancer and kidney failure. His last blood work in the hospital showed him to be a 2.7-3.2 on his Cre? levels. (sorry, cant spell it) Dad has stopped eating to the point where he has one-three bites of food. He drinks, but not like he use to. His body is seeping fluid, especially from his belly. His feet are swollen, and have been for about 6 days now. He went this week at 39 hours with no urine output, then he urinated 590cc's, then nothing again. Now, it has been 26 more hours of no urine. His skin is so itchy that he digs at it. (we use anti itch lotions, and itch pills) Dad vomits almost all the time when he tries food. He also feels sick to his stomach. His skin is dark on his arms, and his belly looks bloated and red. Because he is on hospice, there will be no heroic methods to save him, however, I need to know what happens to him as his body keeps shutting down, especially his kidneys. My mom died from kidney failure, but she was on dialysis for 1.6 years before she decided to stop treatments. She actually died peacefully the very next morning. She simply said she was tired and went to sleep, forever. Is my dad suffering? I mean, I don't see him in pain, but he is on medication. Is he dying an awful death? I am afraid to sleep at night, and worry that the end may be soon. How long does death normally occur when the kidneys are not producing and he has those other symptoms?Please help me, this is urgent to me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 03:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I sometimes feel the hatred, enviousness, enemity and you call what not which has engulfed the society so childish. what is the use of all this. every human being on the earth faces the same pain, same end result, why cant we live in harmony. let us all live peacefully, let there be no hatred. think about people who cannot go for transplant. a millionaire and a beggar has the same pain.. can we change the world - yes, i think.,. we should do in our own little way and be happy, live happy and spread happiness..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 02:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i was wondering the same thing,my mother in law who is 76 she is on hospice and the dr said she has renal failure and the dr also said she is declineing quick,and i am wondering how long she has to go through all of this,she is so miserableSo so sorry for you all!! This is terrible news...but I must say that any sort of kidney failure is plain and simple: it's painful as anything. If one of your organs is not functioning correctly, and you are dying, it is painful. There is no going around it. Once the body decides to give up after fighting for so long, they die quickly. But let me tell all of you that this whole process of dying is incredibly painful and difficult...there's no way around it. I hope for all of your sakes that your loved ones pass quickly or that their pain immediately subsides and they live happily the rest of their lives. Keep staying strong!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2010
    • 09:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was wondering the same thing how does someone with Kidney Failure have to live...My Husbands grandmother was just told she is in Kidney Failure....She is very weak, sleeps all the time, does not eat. Not sure aboutt he urie part....I know she has been either att he Dr.s all this past week or att he ER getting fluids put in here because she has been severly Dehydrated....I am trying to help me mother-in-law prepare for the end but we are lost.....Grandmother is 83 years old her sister died of Kidney Failure at 83...Is this the end??????My father-in-law just died after 4 1/2 days on hospice care. He had cancer and renal failure. The drugs given were morphine, Oxycontin and ativan. He was doing fine 3 weeks ago, but then broke a vertebrae. The diagnosis of cancer soon followed. He stopped eating or drinking 2 weeks ago. I hope this comment helps someone else. We had no idea what to expect. Death was inevitable but hospice made it a natural process. He did not suffer.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2010
    • 06:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello everyone, I am so sorry for all the sadness and heartbreak each of you are going through. As one who has lived with the similiar things many of you talk about may I please help.A person who is on Dialysis can live a long and happy life if they are very good with the proper diet and fluid intake. i have known people to be on Dialysis 8 year and longer. Many pts on dialysis no longer urinate but still are fine otherwise aas long as they are diligent in their care and diet . Please speak to your dialysis nurses they should be able to give you comfort and info on this. many pts on Dialysis go on trips and cruises etc etc. it all depends on any other health issues that are also being experienced by the patients. However usually once dialysis is no longer an option and is completely stopped and the kidneys are completely shut down, it is usually within a two week period that the rest of the body can no longer compensate for the loss of kidney function and the pt dies. Now as far as for a pt who is on Hospice, I am sorry you have not been able to have these concerns answered by your nurses that is something that should be of utmost concern to them to see to it thst your fears are lessened and that you are prepared for the death of a loved one.Once the body stops urinating completely and the patient is not able to eat you will usually see death within 48 to 72 hours. Please keep in mind this is not a rule. Some patients shorlty before death say a day or two will experience a little extra urination and defecation and sometimes if they are still eating at that stage may even have an increase in appetite. As the body slows down in preparation for death you will see a decrease in the bodily functions and they will sleep more. Allow your loved one to rest peacefully and hospice should be making sure that he is in NO PAIN at all!!!!! Be there by his side he can hear you and tell Hospice you want him to rest in a sleep like state in his last few days so he will die peacefully as it should be. I hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2010
    • 00:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Surely your doctor can tell you how long he will live with his kidney condition. He would also be able to tell you if he was in pain, or if he was fine. My mother also went peacefully without pain, after going off her dialysis machine as she had had enough!Be with him, give him love, look after yourself too! He can sense you being there, and it will comfort him.
    beautyfirst 1 Replies
    • January 6, 2011
    • 01:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm so sorry for you and your Dad. My Dad has a heart problem, kidney failure, and the doctor told us that he would die in 6 months, that was 2 years ego and He still with us! Don't lose hope! my sweet Mother was diagnose with kidney failure, heart problem,and high blood pressure today. I am terrible sad about that. She is going to be 68 in May 15, she is full of life. I just want to tell you that God love you and your Dad, you should try to make dad as happy as he can be. We need to be strong for our parents. We need to have faith that everything will be according to God's will. I know is really hard to see our parent have pain, but We need to be their connection to life and happiness. I have read everyone’s posts and comments. I send my sympathies to everyone on Wrongdiagnois.com. There is a post that has cheered me up tremendously. It is on page one, right at the bottom of the web page. I have aunt who has been in hospital for about a week now. Prior to this, she was in their care about a month ago and was diagnosed through tests that her heart was not pumping fluids round her body. This made her legs swell and the skin dried and split. Her kidneys and liver were failing and she slept a lot. (She has a bad heart for years, but she is a strong lady who has looked after herself). Her health improved after a month, but not her legs and she was sent home. This time she is in for exactly the same thing, but a fall broke two little bones in her neck, and triggered her condition again. And now the hospital is just keeping her comfortable and letting time run its course to die (she is 79). I do know she is basically herself, apart from what she calls being lousy. I know and have seen people at this age and older healthy and fit. Could the hospital’s diagnosis be wrong? She did improve. Right now she is on morphine and pain killers. I do agree with the passage that this person has left on page one, Staying connected with loved ones and parents during these bad times is hard, but as long as the parent or loved one who is ill have your connection to life they will be happy. So have faith in God, be strong. I hope the administrators’ of this web don’t mind me quoting the person from page one word for word so that if anyone see my post it will cheer them up too,
    love79 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • My father-in-law just died after 4 1/2 days on hospice care. He had cancer and renal failure. The drugs given were morphine, Oxycontin and ativan. He was doing fine 3 weeks ago, but then broke a vertebrae. The diagnosis of cancer soon followed. He stopped eating or drinking 2 weeks ago. I hope this comment helps someone else. We had no idea what to expect. Death was inevitable but hospice made it a natural process. He did not suffer.Unfortunately usually on Hospice care, Morphine, although i used to kill subside the pain, it really kills and when i say kills i truly mean it kills. My family and I are all going through a very difficult time, my father has been in ICU for the past week and a half and is slowly deteriorating. For anyone who is considering hospice care, for your loved ones and your best interest, do not use Morphine. It just kills them quicker, believe me. I'm not going to use Morphine on my father, just pain killers to make him feel comfortable.
  • I have family member in renal distress with additional problems right now. I founf out only a few days ago and talked to another family member who is a physician. Apparently, there is no answer to this question. If a person is treated with dialysis it could be years. If a person goes off of dialysis or refuses treatment it could be days or months. The facts that apply depend on treatment and kidney function, in addition to what ever other conditions are going on. If your loved one in on dialysis and decides to go off, there will be a transition period followed by a comma, pending no other conditions, and then death. Talk to a doctor you trust and they can give you definates for your particular loved ones. Remember medicine is a best guess science.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement