Discussions By Condition: Back conditions

it hurts when i cough =(

Posted In: Back conditions 16 Replies
  • Posted By: makeitgoaway
  • September 26, 2007
  • 08:52 AM

i cant take it anymore... it all happened when i got back from a camping trip...

i was feeling fine minus the fact that i was tired, when i got back from the trip. waking up in the morning i had this weird pain in my back right under the right rib. at first i didnt notice it but it was definitely there when i started coughing. i told myself that it would go away if i got a bit more shut eye so i did.

woke up again started to force myself to cough to see if whether or not it would hurt and it didnt. so i thought it had gone away. I was a bit hungry and decided to make some food. this is when it went downhill fast. i was making the food and had to sneeze. at the same time i was sneezing i felt my back crack and this sharp pain shoot right thru the area as described above.

now i cant even sneeze, cough, or even laugh hard (this is killing me since i laugh alot). im not sure whats going on. ive been doing as much research as i possibly can but im coming up short. if anyone here has this same symptom, please tell me it goes away afterawhile because i can not definitely live with it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

16 Replies:

• anyone? please help its killing me
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2007
    • 07:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would call a good chiropractor, it sounds like something that they can give you quick relief with they know a lot and if they think it's something bad they'll tell you. Personally, I love my chiropractor better than food. (I have two that have kept me working and off pain killers for over 20 years.) God bless the good chiropractor.Sue Vit
    suevit 24 Replies
    • September 27, 2007
    • 05:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Maybe you have some type of infection or inflammation. Might have nothing to do with your back. Maybe a general practitioner could help you if that's the case, not a chiropractor. For it could be the kidneys, liver, gall bladder or even your lungs.-Daphne
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2007
    • 00:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It may be because you have gas, when it feels like a knife if poking you in your ribs when you move, its just gas so go to the bathroom.M.D.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2007
    • 03:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Unfortunately, the person who put M.D. after their name above is incorrect. Gas and Bloating doesn't cause pain when you cough or sneeze. The most likely candidate for this pain is musculoskeletal, meaning you pulled a muscle when you coughed. Pain can present in the stomach or right or left back. Many people confuse this type of back pain with the need for spinal realignment by a chiropractor. However, the treatment for this is rest, ice and painkillers. Hope this helped.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2009
    • 05:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • slipped/bulging disk. hurts to even sit! lean into it. don't lean away from it. heat. lots of heat. see a chiropractor :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2010
    • 05:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Unfortunately, the person who put M.D. after their name above is incorrect. Gas and Bloating doesn't cause pain when you cough or sneeze. The most likely candidate for this pain is musculoskeletal, meaning you pulled a muscle when you coughed. Pain can present in the stomach or right or left back. Many people confuse this type of back pain with the need for spinal realignment by a chiropractor. However, the treatment for this is rest, ice and painkillers. Hope this helped.i fell snowboarding its been a month now my lower back is hurting when i sit for a long time or cough i was thinking it was a pulled muscle but it should have got beter by now i only really notice it when im coughing any ideas ? could it be a pinched nerve
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2010
    • 06:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i cant take it anymore... it all happened when i got back from a camping trip...i was feeling fine minus the fact that i was tired, when i got back from the trip. waking up in the morning i had this weird pain in my back right under the right rib. at first i didnt notice it but it was definitely there when i started coughing. i told myself that it would go away if i got a bit more shut eye so i did. woke up again started to force myself to cough to see if whether or not it would hurt and it didnt. so i thought it had gone away. I was a bit hungry and decided to make some food. this is when it went downhill fast. i was making the food and had to sneeze. at the same time i was sneezing i felt my back crack and this sharp pain shoot right thru the area as described above. now i cant even sneeze, cough, or even laugh hard (this is killing me since i laugh alot). im not sure whats going on. ive been doing as much research as i possibly can but im coming up short. if anyone here has this same symptom, please tell me it goes away afterawhile because i can not definitely live with it.I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist for accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Hope that helps, PhysioAdvisor
    PhysioAdvisor 93 Replies Flag this Response
  • i cant take it anymore... it all happened when i got back from a camping trip...i was feeling fine minus the fact that i was tired, when i got back from the trip. waking up in the morning i had this weird pain in my back right under the right rib. at first i didnt notice it but it was definitely there when i started coughing. i told myself that it would go away if i got a bit more shut eye so i did. woke up again started to force myself to cough to see if whether or not it would hurt and it didnt. so i thought it had gone away. I was a bit hungry and decided to make some food. this is when it went downhill fast. i was making the food and had to sneeze. at the same time i was sneezing i felt my back crack and this sharp pain shoot right thru the area as described above. now i cant even sneeze, cough, or even laugh hard (this is killing me since i laugh alot). im not sure whats going on. ive been doing as much research as i possibly can but im coming up short. if anyone here has this same symptom, please tell me it goes away afterawhile because i can not definitely live with it.If you work youre stomach, or over use it(like doing planks to many times... happened 2 me), it will get sore. i feel the same way 2. bare with me.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I am a physical therapist. Back pain with coughing and sneezing is frequently related to an irritated disc. The coughing/sneezing increases abdominal pressure which in turn increases disc pressure. You can start by applying ice (no heat!) for 10-15 minutes a few times a day. Avoid any aggravating activities. For more information about disc issues, visit www.joint-pain-solutions.com/bulging-disc.html Hope this helps.....good luck!
    JTrempe 101 Replies Flag this Response
  • yes it will go away but after a month or a 3-5 weeks!!!!! feel good next time!!!!:)
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Dood,I have the same symptoms, bottom right rib is where the pain started, taking a deep breath is "ok" but hurts upon cough or sneeze. Basically its all of the "lats." And its really bothersome when sleeping unless I take 800 mg of ibuprofen. Been there for months nowPlease tell some good news onlyi cant take it anymore... it all happened when i got back from a camping trip...t.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2010
    • 05:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dood,I have the same symptoms, bottom right rib, deep breath of but hurts upon cough or sneeze. Really bothersome when sleeping unless I take 800 mg of ibuprophen.Been there for months now.I went to a chiropractor a couple times and nothing shifted. not even a bitPlease tell some good newsi cant take it anymore... it all happened when i got back from a camping trip...t.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2010
    • 05:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Four days ago I helped my pa move a water heater. When we lifted the box that held the unit, my pa moved it forward at me and it hit my left chest near the shoulder. I heard something inside of me like cracking your knuckles sound..maybe?? It hurt at first but ever since last night it has been pretty uncomfortable. Their is no bruising or broken bones that I can see. But I got pain on my left side. My scalpel area of my back hurts; feels sharp when I move my arm certain directions. My chest under and above the breast area hurts whe I cough..back hurts too. Chest..at upper breast area feel is sore to touch. It hurts to blow my nose. I had to do this last. I also practiced several positions to cough..leaning forward etc. Because I had to gedt tghe phlegm out..lips turned slightly blue. I thank god I don't have a cold. Otc pain meds not helping@ all. So I willgo to the doctor today. Maybe I just pulled a muscle. Bodybuilders do this a lot. Either way I am getting it checked out asap.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 21, 2011
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'd see a doctor. I know a couple people who coughed so hard that it broke a rib. Just get it checked.
  • If you work youre stomach, or over use it(like doing planks to many times... happened 2 me), it will get sore. i feel the same way 2. bare with me.i fell and hit my head and my upper back hurts when im laying when i bend over if i cough i pretty much can do anything with out it hurting and i dont know what to do i dont have any money so i cant go to the doctors nor do i have health insurance
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement