Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Severe & Frequent muscle cramps, thighs, legs, feet

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 52 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 25, 2007
  • 07:15 AM

I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches.

I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe.

Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried.

Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps.

ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion

52 Replies:

• Have your doc give you some potassium chloride medication samples. A few can't hurt if you take them as needed and they might just cure your cramps. Often people's blood levels are adequate, but the muscles don't think so!
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies
    • September 26, 2007
    • 11:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • xk6845I have the same problem. Mostly right after I get to bed, my toes start curling. Then there's a couple of muscles that are right where the foot and ankle meet in the front that do it too. I have to get out of bed and walk. By then I'm completely awake. This is awful.It's not limited to my feet either. Water, potassium, vitamins, nothing seems to help. I've had it all my life and I do wish something would stop it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2008
    • 01:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been having severe leg pain since I can remember. I go to the dr. and all they say is hmm, ive never heard that before, and then they try to prescribe muscle relaxers or pain medicine. That is all they do. It bothers me that they don't tryfind out what is causing the pain. I am so sorry that you have had the same response from drs. Sometimes heat and pressure will releive the pain, but as I get older the pain becomes worse and more frequent. sometimes all I can do is lay bed and cry, I really hope we get the answers we deserve soon. I wish everyone who is also suffering from this the best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2008
    • 03:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HiIm not a doctor or a medical professional - this is is informal advice.There are literally hundreds of possible reasons for cramps and twitching.A mineral or vitamin deficiency could be the cause as could a neurological, nerve or skeletal problem. If blood work is normal and everything else seems fine (no liver, kidney issues etc) I would request a scan of the spine and neck. Then consider a neurological consultation as they might have a better idea as to causes than your local GP who is used to seeing things like coughs and viruses.Another cause can be stress and fatigue building up. See if you can try some serious R n R for a while and whether it improves.CheersT
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2008
    • 11:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ask your doctor for quinine sulphate try getting used to drink tonic water ( quinine) but this is not a long term solution but it help in the short term i have attacks of cramp it my calves and joint malfuction somtimes quinine has help this hope this helps
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 07:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Iron deficiency anemia can cause leg cramps.
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • January 9, 2009
    • 08:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated! This could be a manifestation of methylb12 and/or adenosylb12 deficiency or some of the cofactors. It's hard to say. I used to have terrible uncontrollable cramping for years. Dilantin gave some relief. What finally turned it around was the right brands of methylb12 plus adenosylb12 plus cofactors. Has your potassium been checked? Too high can cause one kind of spasms and too lwo a different kind. I have to keep my potassium in a narrow range even today.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=137682#post137682If you would like to talk about the correct brands of b12 and other supplements or check all your symptoms on our list of over 200 symptoms, let's talk. Cramping from lack of b12 usually puzzles docs.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • January 9, 2009
    • 10:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also suffer from severe thigh cramps. I get them usually right around my menstruation. I used to get them maybe every 6 months but as I get older they are more frequent, every 3 months. The pain last for 1 to 2 weeks and is unbearable. Sleeping is the worst, I often just lay in crying pain all night long. I've also had doctors just say hmmmm, and usually they assume I just want a prescription for pain killers. I have tried potassium and vitamins, stretching, hot and cold compress, massage. Nothing works, I just wait it out in pain. Is there anything I can specifically ask the doctor to look for when they hmmm and hawww????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also suffer from severe thigh cramps. I get them usually right around my menstruation. I used to get them maybe every 6 months but as I get older they are more frequent, every 3 months. The pain last for 1 to 2 weeks and is unbearable. Sleeping is the worst, I often just lay in crying pain all night long. I've also had doctors just say hmmmm, and usually they assume I just want a prescription for pain killers. I have tried potassium and vitamins, stretching, hot and cold compress, massage. Nothing works, I just wait it out in pain. Is there anything I can specifically ask the doctor to look for when they hmmm and hawww???? The specific cause of my out of control muscle spasms was b12 deficiencies. There are two kinds of active b12s and only 3 brands in all that are worth a ***n. Then they need to be used with correct technique if you want them to actually work. The odds of just any old brand of any old b12 taken any old way is 1000 to 1 against you. If you want to know what actually works come over to the b12 forum and post all your symptoms over there and register so your posts can be found.http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=167539#post167539 We will be glad to help you through the maze.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • If this helps just one person I'll be happy. I began getting cramps in my legs and feet years ago, I've tried drinking more water, stretching, and taking supplements such as calcium and potassium. Nothing seemed to work, and the pain was getting excruciating. At night my feet would go into such extreme spasms that my big toe would visibly pull away from my other toes. These spasms have lasted up to four hours at night, alternating from one foot to the other leaving me exhausted. The solution is a golf ball. Using a golf ball as a massage implement has helped tremendously. Sit down, put the ball under your foot and start rolling. I've found it not only helps the foot spasms I experience, but it also helps the leg spasms that I've suffered with for so long. I've also discovered that I can actually feel knots in my feet as I'm rolling the ball around. Your feet will be extremely sore for a couple of days after you use it the first time, but there will be a huge improvement. Don't forget to drink water, it's important. I drink a full glass around 6:00PM so I'm well hydrated through the night. Good luck!
  • I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated! I have the same problem. The pain is on the inside of my thigh, from right above the knee almost to groin. The pain is so sever you cannot stand or walk. It somes on suddenly and last for about fifteen minutes. Afterwords my leg muscle is sore and stiff. It occures mostly at night but also if I have been sitting for a long period of time. I have muscle cramps all over my body and have since I was a child. But these in my thigh are debilitating. Like you, they can be both legs at once, or just one. Same muscle in each leg. I wish someone could tell me what causes them. They are so painful I actually fear them.
    leg cramps r us 1 Replies
    • September 1, 2009
    • 06:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I too have severe leg, thigh, calf pains. I walk a lot, but it never bothered me before. I am well hydrated, tried electrolyte drinks, potassium, calcium with vitamin D, drink tons of water a day, still no help. I can't stop exercising. I am not saying I know anything about this condition, but I do medical transcription and a patient had the same problem. The doctor was going to test her thyroid. He said that hypothyroidism can cause muscle cramps too. Just a thought. I am going to ask my doc.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 5, 2009
    • 03:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same thing, extreme pain including profuse sweating, shallow breathing and vomiting... my neurologist suggested tensor stockings during the day as he concluded that the cause was poor circulation, with nerve damage/inflamation as well. The stockings and drinking more water helped immensely. I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2009
    • 00:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated!My family genetically has a had a severe problem with cramping. With age it has gotten a great deal worse. Watch out for nausea with the pain! With me, it means I am going to faint from the pain. This makes stretching out impossible. (I broke a toe once.) My potassium levels are good; I developed an allergy to quinine. My doctor suggested I try Gabapentin at night. This has been a blessing! No major night cramps since. However, if I nap during the day, I can still get them, but for these I just sit or lie down so I won't faint and fall down and endure it until it passes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2009
    • 00:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a 10-year old son, he is also suffering the pains basically mentioned above. He usuallly feel it every night when he starts to rest, or before getting asleep. He used to call our helper to apply massage on both legs/thighs.I've been asking where exactly the pain occurs; he said "on the muscles and not in the joints". Massage (by hand or controlled electiric massage), I think as per observation, will help since he fell asleep easily.My son is growing a bit faster than other natural kids. No problem with his eating habits. Our room is airconditioned; which I also believe that this is also affecting his pain because he always suffer the pain every night as he go to sleep. He seldom complain about pain during the day. He runs fast, a very playful kid.Hence, we, as parents, are worried about this muscle pains. The helper (also a boy) with us now said that he was suffering the same pain when he was a kid, for about three years but in his teenage, it was gone with out any medications.Good luck in all your endeavors... I do hope you can find the cure. GOD bless...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 01:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is also one of the symptoms of Lyme disease. I tested positive for Lyme and I had severe muscle cramps. You could roll them out, which felt like rolling over massive bruises, and they would relax for a bit and then they would cramp up again. I am now being treated and they are lessening, but until you know for sure, I would recommend "The Stick," they use it in physical therapy offices. You could probably substitute a rolling pin as well. Basically you roll it over the muscles that are cramping (and yes it hurts) but the idea is that you flatten those muscles that are spasming. You need to roll them for a few minutes. After you are done, you will notice a difference. It will help until you can find out what is causing it.It was the only thing that saved me sometimes at night and during the day so I highly recommend that. I love using it now and I would never have thought before that it could actually help but it does. For Lyme info. visit ILADS.org.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 25, 2009
    • 09:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Question: R U on pain meds? I am in the same situation and trying 2 figure it out. Let me know because if so it is probably the meds causing dehydration.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2009
    • 09:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated!Tonic Water very cold/ 8 oz. if you dont like it, put some kind of juice in it, you will love thehelp...... it has to have quainine in it, and also, a hot bath iwth epson salts will help too.... i have to keep a heat pad by my bed & wrap it around the cramps to try and relax them..... they actually come from the buldging discs in my lower back....... you might need an MRI to determine any problems, unless your nutrition is slacking in minerals & vitamins, or from some research if you do laxatives it can put an embalance in your system, but the tonic water with quainine is great for starts, drink it down fast, and just try to relax....... i know your pain, so sorry. Oh, and pray! it is the strength of any weakness that hits the body.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2009
    • 05:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am so glad that i'm not alone. i have been complaining to my doctor about the most severe cramps in my legs, calf, ankle, toes, inner thigh area, and fingers for years. I have cramps mostly during a resting state early in the morning. Some times i have the most painful cramps simultaneously in both inner thigh of the leg. It feels like the cramp is pulling me over at the waist at its to painful to stand up. My body gets rigid as if i'm having a seizure. And they last sometimes five minutes or more. nothing helps. my docotor gave me some muscle relaxers that i take two to three time per week. Once the cramps were so bad that I had to call an ambulance because my arms became numb and i couldn;t breath. I though i was having a heart attack. The pain was so severe. My blood pressure went up to 240 over 110. The paramedic felt i had a panic attack and my arms were numb becuse i was not getting oxygen that carbondioxide was being released into my body. The hospital could not find any thing abnormal. They did a ekg, eeg, xrays, blood test all returned normal. I was diagnosed with diabetes (take pills) this past year. the cramps started well before then but only after I had knee surgery (reputured petella tendon) and subsequently a blood clot discovered 8 days afte surgery. I don't know if any of this is of value but it's apparent i'm not alone. Someone help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2010
    • 08:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am suffering from very frequent, severe cramping in toes, feet, ankles, calves, and lately my inner thigh near groin area. They mostly happen when I am lying down or sleeping. Some can be so bad as to cause me to go into a panic. I've tried various supplements, I drink a lot of water, I do stretches. I've had the foot cramps since I was a tiny child. But this thigh one is new, the last few months and it is HORRID. It can be both thighs at once and I can't stand straight or walk, its severe. Drs tend to go 'hmmm' and give up very easily after suggesting a few basic things I've already tried. Sometimes I'll have a slight calf cramping sensation all day long, both legs. Sometimes my legs or feet get twitches all night. both of these usually come before a really bad night of cramps. ANY suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appriciated!I have severe inner thigh cramps. They occur about ever other month. The are hellish, no one could believe the pain. It wakes me from a sleep and cripples and twists me up like a prettily. I don't know what causes it. I have found that tonic water with quine quickly relieves the pain. I keep it on hand and when awaked, my hubby retrieves it. I suck it down like a drunken sailor, it helps.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement