Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Sick since Mexico

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 8 Replies
  • Posted By: Scorpion
  • September 27, 2006
  • 02:44 AM

I am at my wits end here.

May of 2005 I got very sick - which I attribute to a trip to Mexico we took in April. So sick that I almost ended up in the hospital.

The doctor stuck me on Levaquin for 10 days and I am still having side effects, but that is a different thread entirely.

Since then, I have had the recurring problem of constipation and mucus in my stool. Not every day but more often than not. Understand that in the past 35 years before the Mexico trip I have been constipated maybe 10 times TOTAL.

As time has gone on, those symptoms have lessened but not gone away completely.

Now, just to keep me from being bored, I have started having random nights where I am awakened to severe gas pain and cramping followed by diahrea (sp). The pain is so severe that it makes me nauseus (sp again).
Within 30 to 45 minutes it is over and I feel fine (a little hungry though) and I will be fine for weeks. Typically the day after I will have a slight pinching pain in my left side, just below my belt line.

I have tried linking it to food with no luck and so I am stuck.

I do take 2 Metamucil tablets (one with each meal) each day to help with IBS that I have been dealing with for 20+ years which caused cramping and diahrea right after dinner. That has not happened much at all since the "fiber therapy" started.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I had almost the exact same symptoms in 1999, my DR never did diagnos correctly. I met another woman with the same issues, her DR said it was a micro-organism she had picked up in Mexico, I don't remember the name, but it is like E-Coli. When I had been sick we had been on vacation and swam at a beach that was later closed that summer for E-Coli contamination. It took at least a year for all my symptoms to leave. I hope this helped, or at least gave you another avenue to explore.Please pardon the spelling.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 05:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply.Some form of E.Coli is my current best guess as well. I read on the WebMD site that E.Coli can lodge in a persons intestinal tract and cause recurring symptoms for up to 5 years - not an overall happy thought.The one thing I have noticed though is that I am not losing weight.In the 18 months since this started I have actually gained 5 pounds.Since there is never any blood - the worst it gets is pain and gas - my stool is never black and it doesnt seem to be getting worse (or better), I havent bothered going back to the Dr. for more expensive and useless tests.Thanks again for the reply.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2006
    • 00:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi. Did u eat street food in Mexico? the food that is sold in mexican streets (tacos and all those things in a tortilla) can be very dangerous. i have a mexican friend and not even he has the courage to eat the food found on mexican streets.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 11:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • just a suggestion for future trips to mexico... don't drink the water, or mixed drinks w/ice in them. drink your meals with beer. i have lived on the border and in the interior of mexico, and never gotten sick.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2006
    • 05:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like a parasite to me. I went through much of the same thing. The others are right about not eating food or drinking water or mixed drinks in a foreign country. Locals may be immune to it, but you may not be. I immediately felt better after downing 2 oz. of castor oil. (Stay near a bathroom.) It will get a lot of the loose parasites out (that mucous you are seeing may contain them). Then go down to a health food store and get a parasite cleanse and some fiber tablets. Fiber bonds to the junk in your system and will get it out quicker. The cleanse program will restore the balance and help kill of the rest with cycled use - just follow the directions. You can repeat it every few months if you need to. You should at least feel some improvement.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2006
    • 10:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had almost the exact same symptoms in 1999, my DR never did diagnos correctly. I met another woman with the same issues, her DR said it was a micro-organism she had picked up in Mexico, I don't remember the name, but it is like E-Coli. When I had been sick we had been on vacation and swam at a beach that was later closed that summer for E-Coli contamination. It took at least a year for all my symptoms to leave. I hope this helped, or at least gave you another avenue to explore.Please pardon the spelling.Did you have nausea off and on sometimes really bad, get hot and cold and sweat off and on throughout the day and did your mouth and tongue burn and did you have bitter taste in your mouth and was your mouth dry?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did you have nausea off and on sometimes really bad, get hot and cold and sweat off and on throughout the day and did your mouth and tongue burn and did you have bitter taste in your mouth and was your mouth dry?I think you asked the right questions as, it is very important to know what are the symptoms that are happening and if it is getting worse then how it can be prevented with the diet and proper medication under doctor's consultation.Thankshttp://www.liferaftgroup.org/gist.html
    namratasnv 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am at my wits end here. May of 2005 I got very sick - which I attribute to a trip to Mexico we took in April. So sick that I almost ended up in the hospital. The doctor stuck me on Levaquin for 10 days and I am still having side effects, but that is a different thread entirely. Since then, I have had the recurring problem of constipation and mucus in my stool. Not every day but more often than not. Understand that in the past 35 years before the Mexico trip I have been constipated maybe 10 times TOTAL. As time has gone on, those symptoms have lessened but not gone away completely. Now, just to keep me from being bored, I have started having random nights where I am awakened to severe gas pain and cramping followed by diahrea (sp). The pain is so severe that it makes me nauseus (sp again). Within 30 to 45 minutes it is over and I feel fine (a little hungry though) and I will be fine for weeks. Typically the day after I will have a slight pinching pain in my left side, just below my belt line. I have tried linking it to food with no luck and so I am stuck. I do take 2 Metamucil tablets (one with each meal) each day to help with IBS that I have been dealing with for 20+ years which caused cramping and diahrea right after dinner. That has not happened much at all since the "fiber therapy" started. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel for you. While I have never left the country U.S. and have little to no experience with food or water born troublemakers your symptoms I am very familiar with. Irritable Bowel syndrome. Constipation, runs, gass mucus nausia and not one time can they be traced to a trigger. In fact I had a spat of that just the other day it lasted for two days. ugh. The abdominal pain was so bad from the gas and runs that i vomitted usually do. its like getting kicked in the stomach a hundred times with steal toed boots. and then its over in a flash. and your as hungry as can be. if not a little tender from the work out it all caused. a doctor would call this itiopathic.. because it makes an idiot out of them to diagnose it. I have found one interesting trigger in my case however..sounds dumb but if i eat chicken left overs especially this will bring it on. perhaps its the body wanting to get rid of the bacteria in the left over food that brings it on. i don't know.. try not eating left overs of anythign for a while and see how you feel. While you may have gotten over your mexico vacation incident your body changes its sensitivity to what you eat and organisms in the food may cause more difficulty to you later on. If its a parasite try eating some banana's regularly. Banana's can trap parasites and help rid them from the body.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2011
    • 05:02 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement