Discussions By Condition: Face conditions

Black eye with no apparent cause and no pain

Posted In: Face conditions 15 Replies
  • Posted By: Jilly17
  • September 22, 2007
  • 01:20 PM

Can someone enlighten me with this question? I have a dear friend whom woke up one morning with a blackened/ red eye lid. There was a slight swelling but no tingle sensation/ numbness. The discoloration goes over her upper eye lid to almost her nose. She also did not recieve any trauma to the eye. There is no vision problems, and no other apparent symptoms? I am worried that this could be a secondary condition? I have researched this , and I have come up with no ideas. Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance!

Jill.

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• You posted awhile back. Did you determine the cause? Certain medications had side effects that can cause ruptured blood vessels in the eye, especially ambien. Have her check out side effects for anything she is taking...or, she sleep walks and walks into things. She could video herself and see if she falls out of bed or sleep walks.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • February 12, 2008
    • 03:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My mother woke this morning with a black right eye, was unaware of it before seeing it in a mirror, it hadn't caused discomfort, also with no apparent cause.The bruising is only above the eye, very dark bruising with a sharp, well defined boundary.My search of the net only found info on cases of sudden bruising beneath, not above the eye.This thread is the only hit that mirrors my mothers condition.2 years on & we're none the wiser,this question remains a mystery.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2009
    • 01:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My mother woke this morning with a black right eye, was unaware of it before seeing it in a mirror, it hadn't caused discomfort, also with no apparent cause.The bruising is only above the eye, very dark bruising with a sharp, well defined boundary.My search of the net only found info on cases of sudden bruising beneath, not above the eye.This thread is the only hit that mirrors my mothers condition.2 years on & we're none the wiser,this question remains a mystery.Tjis evening exactly the same thing has happened to me and I am VERY scared
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2009
    • 09:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Tjis evening exactly the same thing has happened to me and I am VERY scaredMy mother has been to the doctor,I had suspected a sinus related problem to be responsible,although the doctor quickly dismissed this.He gave the impression that there's no need for major immediate concern,but didn't offer any explanation as to possible cause, apart from ordering blood tests for anticoagulant levels.If any useful information comes to light, I'll post it here.I'll post a picture of the bruising here later also.The bruising seems consistent with the base of the palm being pushed upward against the eye socket, sleeping in that position, with prolonged pressure against the socket would cause such bruising.I might even try resting in that position for a few hours, If the exact bruising pattern can be replicated this way, then I'll be satisfied with this relatively harmless cause.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2009
    • 01:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My mother has been to the doctor,I had suspected a sinus related problem to be responsible,although the doctor quickly dismissed this.He gave the impression that there's no need for major immediate concern,but didn't offer any explanation as to possible cause, apart from ordering blood tests for anticoagulant levels.If any useful information comes to light, I'll post it here.I'll post a picture of the bruising here later also.The bruising seems consistent with the base of the palm being pushed upward against the eye socket, sleeping in that position, with prolonged pressure against the socket would cause such bruising.I might even try resting in that position for a few hours, If the exact bruising pattern can be replicated this way, then I'll be satisfied with this relatively harmless cause.Sasquan:I have awakened with the same problem. It spread to the entire upper eyelid, spread to the nose and looked like I had received a fist to the eye--the discoloration is going away now, but the upper eyelid is swollen and sore now. It has been a process going on for about 4 days now. People have asked me what happened and I have no answers. Also, yesterday, I noticed that my TMJ was sore as well--all on the right side and no apparent cause for any of it. Has anyone come up with any answers??? I would certainly be interested to know what is going on here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2010
    • 06:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I worked in a Optometrist's office for many years and usually a black eye (with no memory of a trauma) is a result of a strain of some kind. It could be blowing your nose repeatedly or throwing up. Things of that nature. Even coughing too much. The bruising is from broken vessels and the bleeding under the skin. I woke up this morning with bruising in the "bags" area of my left eye. It looks almost like a fingerprint in size and is very dark. But I have had the flu and been sneezing and blowing my nose quite a bit. Usually the bleeding is in the Sclera (white) of the eye but can also be in the skin around the eye. If it reoccurs a lot then go in for a diagnosis. Your eyes can foretell many other and serious illnesses and /or diseases. This is just my opinion and in no way an answer to what your issue was. Good luck and I hope it only something as minor as a regular old bruise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2011
    • 09:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My mother woke this morning with a black right eye, was unaware of it before seeing it in a mirror, it hadn't caused discomfort, also with no apparent cause.The bruising is only above the eye, very dark bruising with a sharp, well defined boundary.My search of the net only found info on cases of sudden bruising beneath, not above the eye.This thread is the only hit that mirrors my mothers condition.2 years on & we're none the wiser,this question remains a mystery.Bumping due to this being the closest think I have found to what happened to me yesterday. Does anyone have any more information on this? Yesterday it was just the eyelid that was swollen and purple, now its happening to the bottom of the eye and its beginning to hurt. Seems to have discharge as if conjunctivitis and some watering out of the corner. Any information would be great, thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2011
    • 04:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This also happened to my wife who’s 36 years old. Woke up and there it was, a blackened eye lid. Cannot find any thing else about this online. Anyone have any answers?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have now had the same thinh happening in the past month.From what I have found on line it can be a muscular disease and/or meds.It can also be an underlyinh vascular problem.I hvae made an appt, with a cadiologist in 2 weeks time.
  • No answer yet? My wife woke up this morning with one black eye. She often blows her nose strongly (because of her sinusitis), I've read that this can be the cause. She also tends to have bruises very easy if that matters.
  • I woke up this morning with the same thing. It is on my right eye lid going towards my nose?? It was not there last night when I removed my makeup.I have now had the same thinh happening in the past month.From what I have found on line it can be a muscular disease and/or meds.It can also be an underlyinh vascular problem.I hvae made an appt, with a cadiologist in 2 weeks time.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This happened to me 4 days ago, I just completed coloring my hair, then when I looked in the mirror, I noticed a black mark under my eye, I thought I got dye on my eye so tried to wash it off, but realized it was a bruise. The next day it looked like a shinner. Going to see the Dr. today, still there.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 22, 2011
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This happened to me this afternoon, Entire left eye lid from corner to corner is black and blue with no head or eye injury. Has there been any logical causes for this discovered recently?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2011
    • 04:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I woke up with a black eye about six months ago. I read this thread and came up with no conclusion. I now have my answer and thought I'd post it in case it helps anyone else.A month ago I found out by chance that I was allergic to milk. I suffer from every symptom - rashes, eczema patches, shortness of breath, coughing, nausea, tummy problems etc, etc. While I was doing some googling yesterday I found a new site that lists one of the symptoms as black eyes. I'd totally forgotten that I'd ever had the black eye so was astounded and my mystery was solved!Hope this can help someone.
    carona 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I woke up with a black eye about six months ago. I read this thread and came up with no conclusion. I now have my answer and thought I'd post it in case it helps anyone else.A month ago I found out by chance that I was allergic to milk. I suffer from every symptom - rashes, eczema patches, shortness of breath, coughing, nausea, tummy problems etc, etc. While I was doing some googling yesterday I found a new site that lists one of the symptoms as black eyes. I'd totally forgotten that I'd ever had the black eye so was astounded and my mystery was solved!Hope this can help someone.This happened to me this morning. I am so glad that I found your post because I ate vanilla ice cream that was super rich last night before bed. I actually have an appointment with a kinesiologist on Thursday because I have suspected that I may have a dairy allergy. It can't come soon enough! I have also had a serious bout with Granuloma Annulare this summer and am hoping that the dairy is the cause of that as well. Interesting.....
    Diane22 4 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement