Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Help with stomach problems?

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 30 Replies
  • Posted By: BenK1980
  • September 26, 2006
  • 08:43 AM

I am 26 and have had ongoing stomach problems for the last 7 years. During this period I have also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I feel I do not currently suffer from any mental health problems to a signifigant degree and did not find any benefit on the recent courses of anti-depressants and beta-blockers I was on.

Over the last year or 2 I feel the symptoms have worsened despite a huge change in my lifestlye which involved quitting smoking, cutting drinking right back, avoiding recommended foods and regular excercise.

The symptoms I experience are mild to severe abdominal discomfort which never fully disipates, burning in my abdominal/stomach region and often into my chest, throat and possibly other areas. I mention other areas as I also sometimes feel my lungs are heavy and/or my nose/ears/sinuses are congested and I am sniffing as though I have allergies or hayfever which I do not and I have read that stomach acid from reflux symptoms can sometimes reach as far as these areas of the body and cause problems.

The more severe and worrying symptoms that have manifested themselves more in the last year or 2 include bouts of weakness/faintness, what feels like stomach palpitations and feelings which are hard to describe but feel like I am slipping out of my body and are very disturbing and difficult to live with.

I find my symptoms are generally worse when sitting and better when standing or moving around, the worst time of the day for me is after lunch and sometimes after dinner, mornings are usually not too bad and I sleep quite well apart from dreams.

I have had a full range of blood tests, an endoscopy (5 years ago although my GP has booked another one). I have also had a 24 hour ECG and tried various alternative treatments and mental therapies but nothing has caused any signifigant improvement.

At 26 I worry these symptoms will plague me for the rest of my life and only continue to worsen, I have tried everything I can think of to tackle the symptoms without much success. My GP seems to be at a loss too and I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any ideas or has had similar experience? I would greatly appreciate any replies or advice.

Thanks in advance.

Reply Flag this Discussion

30 Replies:

• I don't have a medical reply, but I just wanted to mention that I've been reading about people who do stuff related to yoga, spiritual energy experiences, out of body experiences. And some of them have stomach problems later on. So just in case you are into that... My husband experiences stomach problems as well (nausea, cramps, burning in stomach, burning in throat). I wish we could find out why. He is taking Pepcid AC, but it's not helping (or maybe it's making it worse).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2006
    • 03:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • please read swollenfootandpain2 posts I posted today in this tread also in the heart section reading your story is almost similar to mine please read my posts. I hope you feel better I copy my post here for you Someone please help. Just came from hospital where I was in ICU for 5 days. My symptomes were only one leg swollen like a balloon and sharp chest pain which intense with breathing or sudden movement. During in hospital stay had been thrown up blood. Bloodpressure was 165/99 which went down to normal later. My pulse was 128. which is still upThey did every possible tests to rule out pulmonary emblolism and was in icu where they found that nothing wrong with me my heart is very good. Had cat scan of head and chest x ray of chest and foot ultasound of the hearth and ultasound of swollen leg. Nothing is wrong and because I was crying (from Pain) they told me I have depression and gave me antideppressant pill. The cat scan of head showed an inflamation in the head which is not serious and infection in urineI am home and womitting steady have the sharp pain in middle of chest which radiates to sholder and neck have pain in head not a headacke just a tiny pice behind my ear that hurts have neck pain and my leg is swollen up like a ballon. am I just imagine all of this or what. I am not depressed never cry unless my pain is unbearable I am not afraid of that I have any disease have no sweating or fear or nothing that would show depression yet they gave me two antidepressant pills. The only symptomes I have is blood womit only once chest pain very sharp radiating to shoulder and neck pain in the back of my head and swollen leg.Please if a doctor read this could they advise me what could be wrong. I refuse to go to emergency they treating me like a mental case and i only have these since couple of days
    swollenfootandpain2 2 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 07:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • did you had a cat scan of your head? I just had one yesterday in icu which showed infamation of sinuses even though I have no headacke only pain behind my ear and chest pain with vomitting they said this could cause many problems . I also have stomach pain and growling in my stomach constantly Hope they find out what is causing you be sick
    swollenfootandpain2 2 Replies
    • October 4, 2006
    • 07:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am 26 and have had ongoing stomach problems for the last 7 years. During this period I have also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I feel I do not currently suffer from any mental health problems to a signifigant degree and did not find any benefit on the recent courses of anti-depressants and beta-blockers I was on.Over the last year or 2 I feel the symptoms have worsened despite a huge change in my lifestlye which involved quitting smoking, cutting drinking right back, avoiding recommended foods and regular excercise. The symptoms I experience are mild to severe abdominal discomfort which never fully disipates, burning in my abdominal/stomach region and often into my chest, throat and possibly other areas. I mention other areas as I also sometimes feel my lungs are heavy and/or my nose/ears/sinuses are congested and I am sniffing as though I have allergies or hayfever which I do not and I have read that stomach acid from reflux symptoms can sometimes reach as far as these areas of the body and cause problems.The more severe and worrying symptoms that have manifested themselves more in the last year or 2 include bouts of weakness/faintness, what feels like stomach palpitations and feelings which are hard to describe but feel like I am slipping out of my body and are very disturbing and difficult to live with.I find my symptoms are generally worse when sitting and better when standing or moving around, the worst time of the day for me is after lunch and sometimes after dinner, mornings are usually not too bad and I sleep quite well apart from dreams.I have had a full range of blood tests, an endoscopy (5 years ago although my GP has booked another one). I have also had a 24 hour ECG and tried various alternative treatments and mental therapies but nothing has caused any signifigant improvement.At 26 I worry these symptoms will plague me for the rest of my life and only continue to worsen, I have tried everything I can think of to tackle the symptoms without much success. My GP seems to be at a loss too and I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any ideas or has had similar experience? I would greatly appreciate any replies or advice.Thanks in advance.I'm not a Doctor, but can't help but wonder if you're having issues involving the (hyperactivity?) of your Vagus Nerve. Do some research, as this nerve travels to many 'body areas' you're mentioning. Affecting Mood, Heart rate, Stomach..and many other fuctions. Blood tests can't confirm this sort of problem. Good luck...and hang in there, sounds very frustrating for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 09:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Let's see..It gets worse after you eat,Your stomach is always bothering you,Your sniffling like you have an allergy..And the list of symptoms is growing progressively worse as time goes by.I would say you have a food intolerence! Its not like an allergy which is a violent, sudden, debilitating reaction: its a 2-4 day slow, agonizing process by which your body attempts to process (fight off) the offending protein. The two common intolerences are lactose (milk) and gluten (wheat, rye, barley). If you're always eating something that ticks off your immune system, the intolerence cycle is never-ending. This can lead to serious immune, nuerological, and nutritional problems (immune-cancer, lupus, up to 15% - and the death rate doubles).Typically, an endoscopy can diagnose this BUT the problem with that is a LOT of damage has to be done before its a viable way to diagnose. You also mentioned you've had blood tests, but where any of them for allergy serum?Food intolerences are poorly understood by the modern medical profession and I only found out I had an intolerence because I was at a website of "Commonly Misdiagnosed Issues" and committed myself to a gluten-free diet.
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 11:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please do me a favour and reply to this because I have the same burning sensation I find increase whenever I feel anxiety because I am 22 and also feel like I am exactly where u were 2 years ago and I feel like i'm reading about myself two years from now.And about what the other poster said about yoga and stuff I did that stuff too so im interested to find out more about that article.Anyways, my reason for writing is do you know ur blood type because I am a type A and wonder if you are also a type A ( you can get this test done at ur family doctor,) if so maybe there is a connection between type A's and Stomach burning. I receantly discovered from this book about eating according to ur type that Type A's are supposed to be Vegetarians or eat very small amounts of meat and I know that poor diet can lead to problems later on pls respond with ur type.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 09:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please do me a favour and reply to this because I have the same burning sensation I find increase whenever I feel anxiety because I am 22 and also feel like I am exactly where u were 2 years ago and I feel like i'm reading about myself two years from now.And about what the other poster said about yoga and stuff I did that stuff too so im interested to find out more about that article.Anyways, my reason for writing is do you know ur blood type because I am a type A and wonder if you are also a type A ( you can get this test done at ur family doctor,) if so maybe there is a connection between type A's and Stomach burning. I receantly discovered from this book about eating according to ur type that Type A's are supposed to be Vegetarians or eat very small amounts of meat and I know that poor diet can lead to problems later on pls respond with ur type.Oh and I want to add avoid, whole milk as the atengents in whole milk is counter productive to what our bodies can digest so it fights it also, whole wheat or whole grain breads cetain fruits and veggies, and heavy exercise amognst a list of other things email me if u want the title to the book at ckny11@hotmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 10:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh my god i read your thread and thought i was reading about myself. I had just entered stomach problem and palpitations and this came up.I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder then started getting problems with my stomach acid reflux and now i have palpitations every day pretty much everything you said rang true to me. I am currently waiting to go for the 24 hour ecg and will feel a lot happier when they can rule that my heart is ok - hopefully it is.Please keep in touch i would like to find out if you get a cure or find out what is causing it - i have changed my diet cut out wheat and only eat organic home cooked food but nothing is making any difference.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2006
    • 04:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you are gluten intolerant, just cutting out wheat won't get it. The intolerance includes rye, barley and some oats. That includes also spelt and other wheat family members. Ingredients in food often include barley malt, maltodextrin, wheat starch, modified food starch which may have wheat products included and other problematic items. Some people who eat chinese food think they're OK because they are eating rice but the soy sauce may cause problems, some desserts and cereals and other items that you might not think of contain the malt which causes problems. You just have to watch ALL of the ingredients. Good luck in discovering what works for you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2006
    • 08:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • ok, I am the one who wrote about blood type..but anyways, so did any of you notice that all of us have some problem with ANXIETY maybe just maybe thats the link....-Aden-
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2006
    • 02:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You could be right but i am no longer suffering from anxiety nor stress nor depression and my symptoms especially the palpitations are worse than they have ever been. I am so much more relaxed even my GP has noticed this. I would have agreed with you as anxiety can cause all the symptoms mentioned above but when you are no longer anxious then what can the cause be.To the person mentioning intolerance to wheat i bear what you have said in mind is an intolerance something that can come on suddenly and will it cause palpitations? My main concern is the palpitations these are what i need to get rid of. Thanks for any of your advice or experiance.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 01:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thanks for everyones replies. I have not tried a gluten free diet but think I will give this a shot.As a progress update things are not much different, I am still waiting on having my endoscopy and will post the outcome of this.My GP has currently got me on Prozac for anxiety but it is hard to say whether this has made much difference and I don't much like the side effects (mainly persistent nightmares and groginess).My head still feels congested/heavy and my stomach/gut is contuing to cause problems.
    BenK1980 1 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been reading these threads hoping someone would get a diagnose, because I suffer from the same things. I was fine one day then I got a really bad sore throat but no cold so I got tested for strep but that was negative. About a week later I felt like I couldn't swallow right...like I had a lump in my throat and a lot of phlemn(sp). I had a cat scan and a barium swallow and that looked o.k then about a week after that I couldn't eat, I felt full all the time so back to the doctor.. he gave me a sample of a stomach acid reducer and that helped me be able to eat but I still have the bursing and I also have been having anxiety attacks where I feel I can't breath. The doctor gave me paxil but I won't take it because i've read so many horror stories of people trying to get off it, and I don't want to have to do that. Now I constantly have a burning in my stomach...constant phlemn and a heavy chest feeling like an upper respitory infection but no cold...and i keep having anxiety but i think its from not knowing whats wrong...inflamed sinuses..and constipation or diarehia(sp). I went from feeling fine one day and within weeks i feel so tired and sick all the time and i don't know what to do. my ent doc gave me an antihistimine and singular and nasonex. Plus i take prilosec for stomach but it doesn't help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 02:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been visiting doctors for months and today they diagnosed me with gastroparesis and gave a medicine for it. You should talk to your doctor about it, your symptoms are the same as mine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 08:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you looked for stomach parasites.My wife has been ill for 11 weeks after hernia operation, has flagyl and keflex over 6 weeks and it has killed off the good flora and stomach bacteria.check for heliobactor bacteria or dientomoeba fragilis. Green spools, explosive diarrea, flatulance, stomach bloating, swollen ankles, pain under the top on stomach under ribs near heart.special spool tests required and treatment is with doxocycline and iodoquinol for 20 days.it takes a good doctor to listen to your symptons.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2006
    • 10:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It would be wise to do a detox by dr natura.. There is also a website by Raymond Francis. He also wrote a book, Never Be Sick Again. Completely changed my life. Bottom line - If your doctor doesnt know what is wrong with you, he is uneducated in health and nutrition. You are either experiencing a massive deficiency or toxicity to something, or both. Here's the big question: Have you used a lot of antibiotics over the years? If you have, your answer will come through researching. I have found that using a high quality Pro-Biotics works wonders for this problem. You may experience gas, bloating, cramps, constipation.... all signs that the probiotics are working because there's a war going on inside between friendly bacteria and bad bacteria... and it will go away when the friendly bacteria take over. I would also check out the website by MERCOLA - Dr Joe Mercola. They sell the absolute best probiotic I have ever used. Works amazing.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 09:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have just started having problems with palps...I guess I am just now noticing them. I had an anxiety attack about 5 months ago, I had alot of stress, and one night I woke up and felt my heart bouncing like it was on a pogo stick in a small room, it was skipping beats causing me to belch, and sometimes it felt it stopped, i belch, it start again. Now, before I went to bed I had spaghetti, and it seems i have the missed beats/skipped/stopping feeling only after i eat certain things. Like today, I had 2 small pancakes with cinamon and sugar and the ol maple syrup...two hours later, the palps started, and it felt I had a bigggg burp bubble that was ripping through my heart. and this may sound gross...but, when i was in the restroom and ya know the ol grunt thing..well i did it and the sensation of the stopped beat started..so it does make me wonder if there is a nerve or something that is pressed in there when the gas or whatever is high. Because that is the only time my heart does that skippy thing, usually, my heart is at 65-70 bpm, and my b/p is about 117/60 or in that range, only when I get keyed up does it pound. Im gettin irratated and kinda worried.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 01:01 AM
    Flag this Response
  • have you ever been checked to a bacterial infection-- i have stomach problems due to a bacterial infection in the stomach-- ask--
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 26 and have had ongoing stomach problems for the last 7 years. During this period I have also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I feel I do not currently suffer from any mental health problems to a signifigant degree and did not find any benefit on the recent courses of anti-depressants and beta-blockers I was on.Over the last year or 2 I feel the symptoms have worsened despite a huge change in my lifestlye which involved quitting smoking, cutting drinking right back, avoiding recommended foods and regular excercise. The symptoms I experience are mild to severe abdominal discomfort which never fully disipates, burning in my abdominal/stomach region and often into my chest, throat and possibly other areas. I mention other areas as I also sometimes feel my lungs are heavy and/or my nose/ears/sinuses are congested and I am sniffing as though I have allergies or hayfever which I do not and I have read that stomach acid from reflux symptoms can sometimes reach as far as these areas of the body and cause problems.The more severe and worrying symptoms that have manifested themselves more in the last year or 2 include bouts of weakness/faintness, what feels like stomach palpitations and feelings which are hard to describe but feel like I am slipping out of my body and are very disturbing and difficult to live with.I find my symptoms are generally worse when sitting and better when standing or moving around, the worst time of the day for me is after lunch and sometimes after dinner, mornings are usually not too bad and I sleep quite well apart from dreams.I have had a full range of blood tests, an endoscopy (5 years ago although my GP has booked another one). I have also had a 24 hour ECG and tried various alternative treatments and mental therapies but nothing has caused any signifigant improvement.At 26 I worry these symptoms will plague me for the rest of my life and only continue to worsen, I have tried everything I can think of to tackle the symptoms without much success. My GP seems to be at a loss too and I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any ideas or has had similar experience? I would greatly appreciate any replies or advice.Thanks in advance. I would have your thyroid checked
  • I would have your thyroid checkedI definately can relate to this and doctors have not helped me at all but i think you should look into celiac disease, which is a wheat allergy. The gluten free diet has really helped me a lot. Look it up on the net and then id definately ask some doctors but they usually aren't well informed on this even tho one in 133 people have this. Lemme know what you think after you research it!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement