Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Help with stomach problems?

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: BenK1980
  • September 26, 2006
  • 08:43 AM

I am 26 and have had ongoing stomach problems for the last 7 years. During this period I have also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I feel I do not currently suffer from any mental health problems to a signifigant degree and did not find any benefit on the recent courses of anti-depressants and beta-blockers I was on.

Over the last year or 2 I feel the symptoms have worsened despite a huge change in my lifestlye which involved quitting smoking, cutting drinking right back, avoiding recommended foods and regular excercise.

The symptoms I experience are mild to severe abdominal discomfort which never fully disipates, burning in my abdominal/stomach region and often into my chest, throat and possibly other areas. I mention other areas as I also sometimes feel my lungs are heavy and/or my nose/ears/sinuses are congested and I am sniffing as though I have allergies or hayfever which I do not and I have read that stomach acid from reflux symptoms can sometimes reach as far as these areas of the body and cause problems.

The more severe and worrying symptoms that have manifested themselves more in the last year or 2 include bouts of weakness/faintness, what feels like stomach palpitations and feelings which are hard to describe but feel like I am slipping out of my body and are very disturbing and difficult to live with.

I find my symptoms are generally worse when sitting and better when standing or moving around, the worst time of the day for me is after lunch and sometimes after dinner, mornings are usually not too bad and I sleep quite well apart from dreams.

I have had a full range of blood tests, an endoscopy (5 years ago although my GP has booked another one). I have also had a 24 hour ECG and tried various alternative treatments and mental therapies but nothing has caused any signifigant improvement.

At 26 I worry these symptoms will plague me for the rest of my life and only continue to worsen, I have tried everything I can think of to tackle the symptoms without much success. My GP seems to be at a loss too and I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. Does anyone have any ideas or has had similar experience? I would greatly appreciate any replies or advice.

Thanks in advance.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement