Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Rash All Over Upper Body Whenever I Get Sick...

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 20, 2007
  • 01:29 AM

Hi! Since I was in my teens every time I've gotten sick with any type of illness (generally common colds), I've gotten a bright, red rash all over my upper body and sometimes anywhere else warm (insides of elbows, groin, backs of knees). Initially, I thought it was probably a reaction to some medicine I was taking and dismissed it. At one point during college though, I got so fed up with this hideous rash that I decided not to take any medicine and live with the cold/flu symptoms. When the rash occurred without any medication, I went to a doctor for it. He said that in 26 years of medicine he had never seen anything like it and basically dismissed me as lying to him.

Since it does not itch (it does get stiff and puffy) and is mainly cosmetically irritating, I haven't worried too much about it. Just a few days ago, I got food poisoning, and the rash came along. I can't find any information on this anywhere, and I can't seem to find anyone else who shares this problem. Any ideas on why I get this rash every single time I get sick? It generally is at its worst when I am getting better.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• Hi, you are not alone, I too have been getting a rash every time my body is fighting a virus or an infection. Before menopause I would get the rash on the 3rd day of my period. Like you it appears once I start feeling a little better. I saw an immunologist years ago. He told me it's the way my body reacts to anything it deems foreign, (it would also appear during pregnancy too). There is a medication for it but the side affects are worse than the rash itself. He said don't worry about it.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • October 17, 2014
    • 01:35 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement