Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

IBS? Can't stop the spasms!

Posted In: Digestive conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 19, 2007
  • 06:29 AM

Starting in 2003, I developed spasms in my abdomen. It felt like wiggling, something inside my stomach shaking, kinda fast, like the way a washing machine shakes when on the spin cycle. I went to the ER a few times and to the doctor, but they never could figure out what it was. The ER chalked it up as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and prescribed Donnatal (belladonna) for it.

The belladonna was supposed to make my intestines go to sleep, but even taking it 4 times a day, it never really completely stopped. Besides, it would have just masked the problem, not solved it. It was just a low-grade shaking. Sometimes the shaking is so slow it feels like it's mimicking my heartbeat, but other times, it's very fast like I mentioned, the shaking of a washing machine on spin cycle.

Since 2003, I have tried everything I can think of and many of the things you can think of. I have tried enzymes, pro-biotics, bland diets, high fiber diets, low fiber diets, peppermint tea, aloe water, Pepcid AC, you name it. I thought it was because I wasn't active enough, so I joined the YMCA and started torturing myself trying to get my gut in shape. I still can not shake this thing.

Lately, I have fine tuned my diet to the point of ridiculousness, but have found that the consumption of 10 grams of L-Glutamine in peppermint tea twice a day helps keep it at bay, but it is never gone completely. The symptoms are the least noticible after I have just left the gym (exhausted my bowels), eaten a big Subway 12" Club, and drank my L-Glutamine laced tea. But when my stomach gets empty, it's back again just like nothing ever happened.

There is occassional burning sensations in my stomach from some foods, and I absolutely can not eat chocolate or nuts, as it sets my spams into turbo mode and lights a fire inside me.

Imagine someone holding onto your arm and won't let go, instead they just shake your arm 24/7, sometimes fast sometimes slow. But they never stop. That is the feeling inside my stomach. I have solid stools, some constipated, some looser, but never diarrhea, so I am not worried about blockage. Sometimes when I eat and the spasms kick in, it feels like my insides are going to twist out of me as the intestines roll and buck and roil around inside me, pushing food through. Sometimes there is burning with this, othertimes, just spasming.

I have been reading about pylori heliobacter lately and how bismuth attacks it. I have notived that when my symptoms flare up, if I take Pepto Bismol it helps quieten the spasming. Symptoms of pylori and peptic ulcer are gastric pains that go away when you eat or take antacids. But the symptoms I read about never mention shaking or spasming. I don't like to take too much Pepto because it constipates me.

I am at my wits end. I don't have health insurance and have to pay for this out of my pocket but I don't make much money. I have been trying to self-medicate because of that. But I am SOOOO sick of my stomach wiggling/shaking/spasming ALL THE TIME, 24 hours a day, making me so tired because I have to wait until I fall asleep from exhaustion because the symptons never allow me to go to sleep.

Please someone tell me what is happening to me!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement