Discussions By Condition: Digestive conditions

IBS? Can't stop the spasms!

Posted In: Digestive conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 19, 2007
  • 06:29 AM

Starting in 2003, I developed spasms in my abdomen. It felt like wiggling, something inside my stomach shaking, kinda fast, like the way a washing machine shakes when on the spin cycle. I went to the ER a few times and to the doctor, but they never could figure out what it was. The ER chalked it up as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and prescribed Donnatal (belladonna) for it.

The belladonna was supposed to make my intestines go to sleep, but even taking it 4 times a day, it never really completely stopped. Besides, it would have just masked the problem, not solved it. It was just a low-grade shaking. Sometimes the shaking is so slow it feels like it's mimicking my heartbeat, but other times, it's very fast like I mentioned, the shaking of a washing machine on spin cycle.

Since 2003, I have tried everything I can think of and many of the things you can think of. I have tried enzymes, pro-biotics, bland diets, high fiber diets, low fiber diets, peppermint tea, aloe water, Pepcid AC, you name it. I thought it was because I wasn't active enough, so I joined the YMCA and started torturing myself trying to get my gut in shape. I still can not shake this thing.

Lately, I have fine tuned my diet to the point of ridiculousness, but have found that the consumption of 10 grams of L-Glutamine in peppermint tea twice a day helps keep it at bay, but it is never gone completely. The symptoms are the least noticible after I have just left the gym (exhausted my bowels), eaten a big Subway 12" Club, and drank my L-Glutamine laced tea. But when my stomach gets empty, it's back again just like nothing ever happened.

There is occassional burning sensations in my stomach from some foods, and I absolutely can not eat chocolate or nuts, as it sets my spams into turbo mode and lights a fire inside me.

Imagine someone holding onto your arm and won't let go, instead they just shake your arm 24/7, sometimes fast sometimes slow. But they never stop. That is the feeling inside my stomach. I have solid stools, some constipated, some looser, but never diarrhea, so I am not worried about blockage. Sometimes when I eat and the spasms kick in, it feels like my insides are going to twist out of me as the intestines roll and buck and roil around inside me, pushing food through. Sometimes there is burning with this, othertimes, just spasming.

I have been reading about pylori heliobacter lately and how bismuth attacks it. I have notived that when my symptoms flare up, if I take Pepto Bismol it helps quieten the spasming. Symptoms of pylori and peptic ulcer are gastric pains that go away when you eat or take antacids. But the symptoms I read about never mention shaking or spasming. I don't like to take too much Pepto because it constipates me.

I am at my wits end. I don't have health insurance and have to pay for this out of my pocket but I don't make much money. I have been trying to self-medicate because of that. But I am SOOOO sick of my stomach wiggling/shaking/spasming ALL THE TIME, 24 hours a day, making me so tired because I have to wait until I fall asleep from exhaustion because the symptons never allow me to go to sleep.

Please someone tell me what is happening to me!

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• Not one reply? Can't someone offer ANY insight? Please help!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 25, 2007
    • 02:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • sorry that nobody else has responded. I have some similar symptoms, I get some fluttering feelings at times, but mostly, in the evenings especially, I feel like someone has their hands in my abdomen and squeezing my intestines. I can feel a hard lump as it constricts and then it will relax and move down further. It is frustrating because it is worse in the evening when I'm trying to go to sleep. I feel for you.I know there are lots of meds that are supposed to be antispasmodic, and even without insurance don't seem to be very expensive at all. My doctor has tried me on levsin, librax and now bentyl (there are generics for all of these), but of course, you'd have to get a doctor to prescribe them. I'm on day 2 of the bentyl and it may have helped a bit last night, but the previous two drugs did not help. I would much rather know what the cause is, instead of just masking the symptoms with drugs.I think I may look further into some food intolerance testing to see if that could be the source of all of my problems. I've done many things you have tried in the way of supplements. I've tried cutting out certain foods, but I'm not very good at sticking with it long enough to make a proper diagnosis. I wish I had some advice for you, but you're not alone! Lots of us out there with similar frustrating symptoms... Not one reply? Can't someone offer ANY insight? Please help!
    lovedogs 39 Replies
    • September 29, 2007
    • 03:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Lovedogs, thanks for your response. It's frustrating when no one responds. It's 3AM here and I have been in bed since 11PM trying to go to sleep and my stomach is galloping at a high rate of speed. About 2AM I got up and took some Pepto-Bismol tablets and the churning has subsided to almost an unnoticable level. It's odd that Pepto-Bismol can stop the muscle spasming, but the accompanying binding action is not at all welcome. I wish I understood what the Pepto was interacting with that is calms the stomach muscles. But it sounds like a war in there when the action starts subsiding, like there is lots of gases expanding and exploding. Perhaps something is causing massive flatulence production? I dunno, but it's awfully late and I need to be asleep not typing on a forum.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 07:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • You know, if you do have h pylori, from what I've read you need some kind of antibiotic treatment to get rid of it. I'm sure you know all of this, but when they did my endoscopy and said I had some inflammation in my stomach (gastritis) that I had to cut out all caffeine, chocolate, NSAID's like Advil and Aleve, etc. I did not have h pylori, but maybe you're onto something. Maybe you could look up some natural antibiotic type supplements if you can't go to the doctor for tests/drugs. Hope you get some sleep.The bentyl really did not help me much. It did relax me, but unfortunately did nothing for the bloating and the relaxation did not last very long. Lovedogs, thanks for your response. It's frustrating when no one responds. It's 3AM here and I have been in bed since 11PM trying to go to sleep and my stomach is galloping at a high rate of speed. About 2AM I got up and took some Pepto-Bismol tablets and the churning has subsided to almost an unnoticable level. It's odd that Pepto-Bismol can stop the muscle spasming, but the accompanying binding action is not at all welcome. I wish I understood what the Pepto was interacting with that is calms the stomach muscles. But it sounds like a war in there when the action starts subsiding, like there is lots of gases expanding and exploding. Perhaps something is causing massive flatulence production? I dunno, but it's awfully late and I need to be asleep not typing on a forum.
    lovedogs 39 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I hear your plight. I unfortunately cannot shed any light on it either, only to tell you I also hae a long history of the same thing. The only thing I can suggest is to go and get allergy tested. Im assuming something in your vacinity or what you are eating is bothering you. I went for tests, and was shocked at the amount of substances what was bothering me.I still have IBS, but I have been able to get the shaking down a touch...Cheers, and good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2008
    • 00:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HI, IV been suffering with ibs for about 8 years now, i get alot of pain and gas, and constipation and loose bowels, unfortunatly iv tried everything, but mine seems to be caused by stress, . Do you suffer from stress? it is hard to gt under control, iv had no symptoms for 1 year, then i just star a new job, and guess what? its back within 2 days of starting my new job. also wheat can set it off, . good luck.
    XANDER 23 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 02:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know the feeling. Have pretty much same thing and it is always worse when suffering from anxiety or stressed out in any way at all. I take Elavil (prescription required but very inexpensive). Also, when the vibrations just won't quit I chew a couple of fiber wafers and it helps. I believe diet has a lot to do with it and stress. Coffee has become a treat of the past. I hope this helps some. Every doctor you go to will tell you something different while you spend a fortune. But, of course if symptoms get so bad that you can't sleep you need to get some help, medically. My gynecologists gives me what I need when I go for the yearly check up. Not getting the right amount of sleep I believe also adds to the problems with this. You can always try elminating certain food groups too. Dairy products can cause this and also wheat. The fiber wafers really do seem to help but I also have Xanax and Elavil for anxiety and depression. They all seem to go together with me. You might get your Thyroid checked too. But make they do all tests though. T3 T4 and TSH... Many doctors just do on of them or two of them and you need all three checked to know what is really going on. Good luck...... It is a strange feeling to feel like something is inside moving around, I know. Mine completely went away and then a huge stress came up and it started up again.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2008
    • 02:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello!!! I am 20 yrs old n have been getting the same spasm, more like a fast wiggle in what fels like my ovary or some other organ in my left side of abdomen, i cannot find anything online about this and doctors have given me antibiotics but it only continues to happen! Have u found anything out about what is causing your stomach wiggle?UOTE=Unregistered;63732]Starting in 2003, I developed spasms in my abdomen. It felt like wiggling, something inside my stomach shaking, kinda fast, like the way a washing machine shakes when on the spin cycle. I went to the ER a few times and to the doctor, but they never could figure out what it was. The ER chalked it up as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and prescribed Donnatal (belladonna) for it.The belladonna was supposed to make my intestines go to sleep, but even taking it 4 times a day, it never really completely stopped. Besides, it would have just masked the problem, not solved it. It was just a low-grade shaking. Sometimes the shaking is so slow it feels like it's mimicking my heartbeat, but other times, it's very fast like I mentioned, the shaking of a washing machine on spin cycle.Since 2003, I have tried everything I can think of and many of the things you can think of. I have tried enzymes, pro-biotics, bland diets, high fiber diets, low fiber diets, peppermint tea, aloe water, Pepcid AC, you name it. I thought it was because I wasn't active enough, so I joined the YMCA and started torturing myself trying to get my gut in shape. I still can not shake this thing.Lately, I have fine tuned my diet to the point of ridiculousness, but have found that the consumption of 10 grams of L-Glutamine in peppermint tea twice a day helps keep it at bay, but it is never gone completely. The symptoms are the least noticible after I have just left the gym (exhausted my bowels), eaten a big Subway 12" Club, and drank my L-Glutamine laced tea. But when my stomach gets empty, it's back again just like nothing ever happened.There is occassional burning sensations in my stomach from some foods, and I absolutely can not eat chocolate or nuts, as it sets my spams into turbo mode and lights a fire inside me.Imagine someone holding onto your arm and won't let go, instead they just shake your arm 24/7, sometimes fast sometimes slow. But they never stop. That is the feeling inside my stomach. I have solid stools, some constipated, some looser, but never diarrhea, so I am not worried about blockage. Sometimes when I eat and the spasms kick in, it feels like my insides are going to twist out of me as the intestines roll and buck and roil around inside me, pushing food through. Sometimes there is burning with this, othertimes, just spasming.I have been reading about pylori heliobacter lately and how bismuth attacks it. I have notived that when my symptoms flare up, if I take Pepto Bismol it helps quieten the spasming. Symptoms of pylori and peptic ulcer are gastric pains that go away when you eat or take antacids. But the symptoms I read about never mention shaking or spasming. I don't like to take too much Pepto because it constipates me.I am at my wits end. I don't have health insurance and have to pay for this out of my pocket but I don't make much money. I have been trying to self-medicate because of that. But I am SOOOO sick of my stomach wiggling/shaking/spasming ALL THE TIME, 24 hours a day, making me so tired because I have to wait until I fall asleep from exhaustion because the symptons never allow me to go to sleep.Please someone tell me what is happening to me!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Starting in 2003, I developed spasms in my abdomen. It felt like wiggling, something inside my stomach shaking, kinda fast, like the way a washing machine shakes when on the spin cycle. I went to the ER a few times and to the doctor, but they never could figure out what it was. The ER chalked it up as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and prescribed Donnatal (belladonna) for it.The belladonna was supposed to make my intestines go to sleep, but even taking it 4 times a day, it never really completely stopped. Besides, it would have just masked the problem, not solved it. It was just a low-grade shaking. Sometimes the shaking is so slow it feels like it's mimicking my heartbeat, but other times, it's very fast like I mentioned, the shaking of a washing machine on spin cycle.Since 2003, I have tried everything I can think of and many of the things you can think of. I have tried enzymes, pro-biotics, bland diets, high fiber diets, low fiber diets, peppermint tea, aloe water, Pepcid AC, you name it. I thought it was because I wasn't active enough, so I joined the YMCA and started torturing myself trying to get my gut in shape. I still can not shake this thing.Lately, I have fine tuned my diet to the point of ridiculousness, but have found that the consumption of 10 grams of L-Glutamine in peppermint tea twice a day helps keep it at bay, but it is never gone completely. The symptoms are the least noticible after I have just left the gym (exhausted my bowels), eaten a big Subway 12" Club, and drank my L-Glutamine laced tea. But when my stomach gets empty, it's back again just like nothing ever happened.There is occassional burning sensations in my stomach from some foods, and I absolutely can not eat chocolate or nuts, as it sets my spams into turbo mode and lights a fire inside me.Imagine someone holding onto your arm and won't let go, instead they just shake your arm 24/7, sometimes fast sometimes slow. But they never stop. That is the feeling inside my stomach. I have solid stools, some constipated, some looser, but never diarrhea, so I am not worried about blockage. Sometimes when I eat and the spasms kick in, it feels like my insides are going to twist out of me as the intestines roll and buck and roil around inside me, pushing food through. Sometimes there is burning with this, othertimes, just spasming.I have been reading about pylori heliobacter lately and how bismuth attacks it. I have notived that when my symptoms flare up, if I take Pepto Bismol it helps quieten the spasming. Symptoms of pylori and peptic ulcer are gastric pains that go away when you eat or take antacids. But the symptoms I read about never mention shaking or spasming. I don't like to take too much Pepto because it constipates me.I am at my wits end. I don't have health insurance and have to pay for this out of my pocket but I don't make much money. I have been trying to self-medicate because of that. But I am SOOOO sick of my stomach wiggling/shaking/spasming ALL THE TIME, 24 hours a day, making me so tired because I have to wait until I fall asleep from exhaustion because the symptons never allow me to go to sleep.Please someone tell me what is happening to me!I you drink coffee Stop.. I have spasms really bad after I drink coffee.. If you do eliminate it & Read Caffeine blues it should give you alot of insight. I hope that helps someone
  • It sounds like you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which seems like a catchall but I was diagnosed with it about 20 years ago as a teen and I think that it really is real. Every 5 years or so it acts up for me and I go through the battery of tests because I think I am dying, which are ***l ON EARTH (especially the sigmoidoscopy eww) and the end result is always IBS, which makes me wish I hadn't exposed myself to the tests. What works best for me and will usually keep the stomach issues at bay for months at a time are sticking pretty strictly by these rules:*No carbonation - soda and beer will mess me up for days*Little to NO hard alochol, tequila & the higher potency alcohols will make my intestines feel raw for 1-2 weeks... not worth it!*Exercise helps - extra fat on the body seems to make it worse for me*Sleep - everything breaks down without good sleep*Take Acifex, it is the ONLY medication that has worked for me. There is not a generic brand for it though so even with insurance your co-pay will likely be $50-75. I've taken this medication for years now, ONLY when my stomach acts up, and have never needed to take it daily for more than a week or so at a time. When things are really bad I will go on a liquid diet for a few days, allowing myself only easy to digest foods like Blender's shakes/smoothies and water & low acid juices. These are my treatments and they truly do help me, and have taken me a long time to learn based upon my own experience. Your solution may not be the same but maybe this will help!
  • I had the same thing and later I got diagnosed with Celiac disease. Now that I'm not eating gluten my guts don't feel like there are worms or something moving around in my tummy!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I too suffer from spasms, I double up and find myself sweating n breathing myself through the contractions. I have found all this interesting. I had a laparoscopy, nothing concluded. The diet has been investigated. I bloat on wheatey things. Two children later and it's back with avengence!!! 24hrs I've been in agony, I've drank my way through nearly a whole bottle of Pepto bismol. I used to have tablets called Spasmanol a few yrs back and they helped. Right now I'd take anything to mask the pain. Food/allergy testing is definately something I'm going to enquire about. It's been really hot, so I don't tend to eat, empty stomach=spasm heaven! I really do feel for everyone! I will take all this with me when I visit the drs again tomorrow! :-S
  • That certainly sounds like IBS. I get that when I am having a flare up also pain in my calves. Stress is a big trigger so are some foods. My specialist told me that some foods bug peoples ibs and others don't and to keep a diary. The Trigger foods for me are:Fried FoodHigh Fat Food (including milk) Only can drink skim milk when i do not have a flare-upPeasOnionsToo much meat; especially red.BananasIcecream (fat free yogurt ice-cream doesn't bug me as long as i do not have a flare up)CoffeeBooze (of any kind) Mind you when im having a bad flare up and my meds haven't worked and it was caused my stress i will have a couple of sleemens light beer. Relaxes me. Being dehydrated can be linked to flare up too so remember to drink lots of water.I am not going to write anymore in case no one is reading this thread will check back.
  • I'm reading these messages in 2010 when some of them are 7 yrs old - poor you, hope you're not still suffering.I've had 'IBS' before but after having an antibiotic beginning with f (sorry it was years ago) to treat a chest infection, my symptoms vanished.I definately still have a lively bowel at times and have been doubled over with cramps and constantly feel the need to go to the loo. I have discovered a small amount of alcohol (half a cider in my case) did the trick - although this is clearly not a solution it is quite handy if you are get caught out unexpectedly.Having had a 3rd C-Section 5 months ago, I'm now experiencing the left hand side of abdomen 'wriggling' feeling in the bowel. It feels like being pregnant, but I'm not! Usually worst in the evening. It doesn't hurt - yet - but is rather alarming and is making me paranoid about what I can eat - green peppers/capsicums and seafood are completely off the menu.Hope you've all found solutions to your problems.
  • I have had IBS symptoms for a couple of years but they would come and go then in March this year I had back problems including a herniated disk and 3 bad disks. The same time the IBS symptoms appeared and didn't leave. I used to take Bentyl which helped years ago but now they don't help. Also tried Librax and it doesn't help either. I had a ct scan on my stomach area and a colonoscopy and nothing showed up. Last month I even had exploratory surgery of the stomach/colon area and all they found was scar tissue which the doctor cleaned up. I have these stomach spasms all the time and nothing seems to help. I'm at my wits end and don't know what doctor to turn to next. I don't know what other tests can be done. If anyone has any advice, let me know. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 30, 2010
    • 07:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • IBS sufferer for over 10 years - Male 48 165lbs 5'9"I don't eat anything raw. No onions, green vegetables, no red meat, no high fat, coffee is also a trigger. When my insides convulse, I take a prescription called Buscopan 10mg. You have to take it right away or else it doesn't seem to work very well. - Stephen
  • Starting in 2003, I developed spasms in my abdomen. It felt like wiggling, something inside my stomach shaking, kinda fast, like the way a washing machine shakes when on the spin cycle. I went to the ER a few times and to the doctor, but they never could figure out what it was. The ER chalked it up as Irritable Bowel Syndrome and prescribed Donnatal (belladonna) for it.The belladonna was supposed to make my intestines go to sleep, but even taking it 4 times a day, it never really completely stopped. Besides, it would have just masked the problem, not solved it. It was just a low-grade shaking. Sometimes the shaking is so slow it feels like it's mimicking my heartbeat, but other times, it's very fast like I mentioned, the shaking of a washing machine on spin cycle.Since 2003, I have tried everything I can think of and many of the things you can think of. I have tried enzymes, pro-biotics, bland diets, high fiber diets, low fiber diets, peppermint tea, aloe water, Pepcid AC, you name it. I thought it was because I wasn't active enough, so I joined the YMCA and started torturing myself trying to get my gut in shape. I still can not shake this thing.Lately, I have fine tuned my diet to the point of ridiculousness, but have found that the consumption of 10 grams of L-Glutamine in peppermint tea twice a day helps keep it at bay, but it is never gone completely. The symptoms are the least noticible after I have just left the gym (exhausted my bowels), eaten a big Subway 12" Club, and drank my L-Glutamine laced tea. But when my stomach gets empty, it's back again just like nothing ever happened.There is occassional burning sensations in my stomach from some foods, and I absolutely can not eat chocolate or nuts, as it sets my spams into turbo mode and lights a fire inside me.Imagine someone holding onto your arm and won't let go, instead they just shake your arm 24/7, sometimes fast sometimes slow. But they never stop. That is the feeling inside my stomach. I have solid stools, some constipated, some looser, but never diarrhea, so I am not worried about blockage. Sometimes when I eat and the spasms kick in, it feels like my insides are going to twist out of me as the intestines roll and buck and roil around inside me, pushing food through. Sometimes there is burning with this, othertimes, just spasming.I have been reading about pylori heliobacter lately and how bismuth attacks it. I have notived that when my symptoms flare up, if I take Pepto Bismol it helps quieten the spasming. Symptoms of pylori and peptic ulcer are gastric pains that go away when you eat or take antacids. But the symptoms I read about never mention shaking or spasming. I don't like to take too much Pepto because it constipates me.I am at my wits end. I don't have health insurance and have to pay for this out of my pocket but I don't make much money. I have been trying to self-medicate because of that. But I am SOOOO sick of my stomach wiggling/shaking/spasming ALL THE TIME, 24 hours a day, making me so tired because I have to wait until I fall asleep from exhaustion because the symptons never allow me to go to sleep.Please someone tell me what is happening to me!I also get that awful shaking feeling in my lower abdomen along with gas cramps, bloting etc. Did you ever find out what you have? I have had all sorts of tests and I still do not know what's wrong. Maybe I have a really bad case of IBS??
  • I too have all the same syptoms, bloating constipation low appetite gas belly pain , I even tried to have a colonosccopy drank the gallon of very nasty clear stuff over a 24 hr period. and barly went to the bathroom. and they were unable to complete it went back to the specialist and then they said ibs wanted me to fix it with mirilax, enema, and diet and exerise . that seemed to be making it worst was prescribed benly seemed to work at first but not now went to the er was prescribed se donna and referred back to the specialist.UGH
    wife2j 1 Replies
    • December 10, 2011
    • 02:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know that this is a reply to a 2 year old post but...... I have the same issues with my stomach spasming all the time with bloating and gas. I have had 3 endoscopy done and they found nothing. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I cut out the wheat gluten which seems to help a lot. I have also cut out all alcohol which always sets my stomach off and no more chocolate and tomatoes. the spasming has drastically reduced but I still have it from time to time but there is some improvement. I hope for what ever it is worth this helps.:D
    Bellabellasignorina 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement