Discussions By Condition: Hair conditions

Baby with dark patch of hair

Posted In: Hair conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: rellorba
  • September 7, 2007
  • 03:49 PM

My 3 month old son has blond hair except for a small patch of dark hair on top of his head. At first I thought it was a bruise but it's been there at least 2 months now. I've pulled back the hair to look at the scalp and the scalp is the same color as the rest so I know it's just the hair.

I'm not really worried about it, just more curious. I'd like to know if it has a name and what causes it. I've read about people having white hair or lighter hair amidst dark hair but never dark hair amidst light. Anyone??

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• I dont hink its anything to worry about, my friend has brown hair and a patch of blonde hair in it.
    NatureBoy93 3 Replies
    • November 17, 2007
    • 03:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the same thing all of my life -- blonde hair with a natural dark brown streak. I don't know the name or cause for it, although my hairdresser did mention sometimes injury will cause a discolored patch of hair. I think it's more of a birthmark than anything though.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Possibly a Becker's nevus. Ask your pediatrician the next time you are there....
    Caladan 87 Replies Flag this Response
  • Im one of an identical twin and I have very blonde hair with a dark streak of hair...my sister hasnt. I have had it since i was a tiny baby and first grew hair, and the doctors just said it was a birthmark, as in my fathers side of the family they have dark hair, and two of my uncles have a light streak in their dark hair. my hair goes very blonde in the sun , and yet the dark streak seems to get darker...i wouldnt worry about it, ive never had any problems because of it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 19, 2009
    • 07:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same thing happen to me when I was born. It stayed that way up until after high school when the part that was darker gradually fell out. Now I've been having trouble regrowing it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2010
    • 03:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Does the baby have ectodermal displasia? I know someone with that and dark patches of hair - In the back and a paych on top, and has thin, sparse (because of the ectodermal displasia) blonde hair. Just color it if old enough if your worried about picking on, self consiousness, ect.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 5, 2010
    • 00:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter has a few white patches in her hair, she's had them since birth. I actually thought they were bald spots when she was first born. I asked her doctor about the white patches and she said that they are genetic, it might be the same with the dark patch!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2011
    • 09:58 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement