Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Does a blue color in nose indicate allergies for sure?

• Posted By: Notadoc
  • September 6, 2007
  • 04:10 PM

We took our daughter to her doctor last week and the doctor checked inside her nose due to slight congestion.

The doctor said the passages have a blue tint or look blue or something like that and said that means she has allergies. Prescription was a steroidal nose spray to be used every day.

Is this for real? I spent ten years as a teen/young adult going to the allergist twice a week and never heard anything about a blue nose being a sure indicator.

I've found references to it online, but am still having trouble believing the diagnosis is so simple and the proper first treatment is steroids. Does anyone have any experience with this also? Why would allergies, and allergies only, cause a blue color in the nose?

This doctor is okay...same one for three years, no reason to say 'great doctor', but no reason to say 'bad doctor' either.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I would get another opinion. It could be just that her skin is translucient and delicate.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 07:58 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would get another opinion. It could be just that her skin is translucient and delicate.Thank you for the reply.She is very fair skinned, blond, etc....would that be an indicator that her nasal membranes (or whatever skin is called inside where the doctor looks) is more likely to be translucent?She snores a lot as well...could that be causing the discoloration or is it more likely that the allergies might be causing the snoring?Thanks.
    Notadoc 2 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 02:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • We took our daughter to her doctor last week and the doctor checked inside her nose due to slight congestion.The doctor said the passages have a blue tint or look blue or something like that and said that means she has allergies. Prescription was a steroidal nose spray to be used every day.Is this for real? I spent ten years as a teen/young adult going to the allergist twice a week and never heard anything about a blue nose being a sure indicator.I've found references to it online, but am still having trouble believing the diagnosis is so simple and the proper first treatment is steroids. Does anyone have any experience with this also? Why would allergies, and allergies only, cause a blue color in the nose?This doctor is okay...same one for three years, no reason to say 'great doctor', but no reason to say 'bad doctor' either.The doctor is a ***k! I bet he is getting free fancy dinners for him as his wife all expenses paid by the makers of the steroid.How could he even give a little girl steroids w/o trying to find out if she has parasites.Please, find the best Doctor of Oriental Medicine that you can in your area- take your daughter for a full check up. If she has viruses, bacteria, parasites, that needs to be clear out. I suspect of parasites.Maybe there are more symptoms that your daugther is showing but you are just overlooking them as we are trained to see them as 'unrelated'.Is she shy? Does she have a very soft voice? How is her appetite? Her moods? What does she like to eat? does she like raw food or cooked?Takes hot or cold drinks? They all might sound like irrelevant questions but they can give indicators.Also her breath, her tongue color, if she gets very thirsty, how often she uses the bathroom, etc.Take care.
    Eatafruit78 960 Replies
    • October 9, 2007
    • 05:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Children usually don't snore. I would get a second opinion from another ENT man. Could be structural. I would pull her off of dairy and wheat and see how she does.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • October 10, 2007
    • 05:40 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement