Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Shortness of Breath After Quit Smoking

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 22 Replies
  • Posted By: wutiswrng
  • September 5, 2007
  • 06:37 PM

I'm 30 years old and have smoked since 17. I quit on June 10, 2007. I've had constant chest pain for about 5 years. Had all the test many times ruling out heart problems. I figured it was because of the smoking. I haven't gotten any better. As a matter of fact it all got worse, and is now including constent shortness of breath. I haven't had that smokers cough that everyone talks about coughing up phlem or anything, I don't know what is wrong there. I've also put on a lot of weight in the past 6 years. I'm 5'10" 224 lbs. 6 years ago I was 179 lbs. Can anyone help me?
When can I expect to get that smokers cough clearing out my lungs, or doesn't everyone get it? Why could my chest be hurting like this? I've been put on every axiety medication known to man, but no help. My doctor is at a loss as well.

Reply Flag this Discussion

22 Replies:

• i dont mean to scare you but i know people who have smoked for 30 years or so who have up and still have the smokers cough, tightening of the chest ect... if you have smoked for a long time which you have it may a long time for your lungs to get rid of the rubbish which is inside it.. thats what i think it could be but im no expert....
    Danni 1989 12 Replies
    • September 5, 2007
    • 09:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply. I just don't have the smokers cough. I know it's only been three months since I quit but, I'm kind of scared that I don't have it. I'm feeling that my lungs are not able to clean out.
    wutiswrng 3 Replies
    • September 6, 2007
    • 01:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply. I just don't have the smokers cough. I know it's only been three months since I quit but, I'm kind of scared that I don't have it. I'm feeling that my lungs are not able to clean out.I just quit 2 weeks ago and was worrying about the same thing. Most everyone I know who has quit smoking has developed a cough within a week or two of quitting. They generally cough up lots of phlem for a few days...this is usually about the time they say they can breathe easier.I haven't so much as cleared my throat since I quit smoking. I don't really feel any better either. This might be easier if I felt like quitting was actually beneficial. At this point the only thing I've noticed is that I'm hungry all of the time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2007
    • 06:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I quit smoking on July 16, 2007 after starting Chantix on or around July 4. I had been doing fine on the drug. But I have the exact same symptoms as what I've read on here (it's how I found this forum). I experience shortness of breath on occasion, I always want to nosh and I gained 7 lbs initially, but have lost 5 of it as time went on. By the way, my last dose of Chantix was 2 weeks ago.I do not nor have I ever coughed up phlegm; even in my bronchitis moments. I feel great and love being able to walk, run et al without wheezing. Sometimes, I have to remind myself when I am short of breath that I am a non-smoker. I dream about smoking, and am grateful that when I awaken, it was only a dream.I was hoping to feel a little bit better than this, tho. I absolutely love not reeking of stale cigarettes anymore; I love the way my body, hair and clothes smell. And others would tell me that I literally stank when I smoked, even tho I diligently washed my hands and used a refreshing body spray scent afterwards.Anyway, my inclusion into this board is only meant to show you that you are not alone by a long shot! I bought a book entitled "Out of the Ashes" by Peter and Peggy Holmes, because there are hardly any tomes out there for us nonsmokers. We did the hard part, and now, I'm finding the maintenance a ****h.Sincerely,Nat
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2007
    • 07:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • 3Thanks for the reply. I just don't have the smokers cough. I know it's only been three months since I quit but, I'm kind of scared that I don't have it. I'm feeling that my lungs are not able to clean out.try sana-flush.. just kidding, seriously, try excercising. the process will speed up. Instead of 30 years of clean out it may only be 15 years but what do i know, im just a plumber.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2007
    • 06:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 30 years old and have smoked since 17. I quit on June 10, 2007. I've had constant chest pain for about 5 years. Had all the test many times ruling out heart problems.Congratulations on quitting the habit!What type of heart problems were ruled out? Where is the chest pain? How does it feel? Does it radiate to your scapula? Jaw? Neck? Collar bone? Shoulder? When is it worst? Upon inhalation? Or a position such as lying on your back? Does it lessen in a certain position?As a matter of fact it all got worse, and is now including constent shortness of breath.Do you also have heart palpitations? Do you have or have you ever had a racing heart rate? If your chest pain is relieved by sitting forward and worsened by lying on your back, and radiates into your neck, scapula , collar bone, shoulder, and jaw, it might be something such as pericarditis. Google it on the www and read the symptoms. Unfortunately, you'll have to read several sites before getting the entire picture, because some doctors don't include all the symptoms. There are two basic types: bacterial and viral. The symptoms are not the same for both as some doctors erroneously believe. It took much research to find this discrepancy and one meeting with an ill-informed ER doctor.Additionally, many websites state that pericarditis includes only one type of chest pain, sharp chest pain. That's not so. That is why I suggest reading several websites. Pericarditis is a less common cause of chest pain and shortness of breath, and therefore, many times it is overlooked as a cause. It is most common is men ages 20 - 30, however, it can occur at any age.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2007
    • 00:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I quit almost 3 months ago and for the past week I have been extremely short of breath, but I am not in pain and I am not coughing. I also have gained 25lbs since I quit, and it has nothing to do with an oral fixation, my appetite just increased a lot.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2009
    • 11:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I quit almost 3 months ago and for the past week I have been extremely short of breath, but I am not in pain and I am not coughing. I also have gained 25lbs since I quit, and it has nothing to do with an oral fixation, my appetite just increased a lot.i have the same problem i quit about a month ago after smoking for about 2 years almost any advices? thanks i exercise and got alot better than other before when i cant breathe i just go with water to help me i have an inhaler but it doesnt really help.. me at all thanks
    masiii 5 Replies
    • February 11, 2009
    • 02:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm 30 years old and have smoked since 17. I quit on June 10, 2007. I've had constant chest pain for about 5 years. Had all the test many times ruling out heart problems. I figured it was because of the smoking. I haven't gotten any better. As a matter of fact it all got worse, and is now including constent shortness of breath. I haven't had that smokers cough that everyone talks about coughing up phlem or anything, I don't know what is wrong there. I've also put on a lot of weight in the past 6 years. I'm 5'10" 224 lbs. 6 years ago I was 179 lbs. Can anyone help me?When can I expect to get that smokers cough clearing out my lungs, or doesn't everyone get it? Why could my chest be hurting like this? I've been put on every axiety medication known to man, but no help. My doctor is at a loss as well.Same thing. Had some chest pain from running out of acid reflux meds. Went to the Doc, had high blood pressure for the first time ever. Had stress test, nothing wrong with my heart, but had a little tachocardia at the end of test.Put on 2 highpertension meds and quit smoking. Blood Pressure is fine now, but have shortness of breath sometimes 2 weeks after quiting smoking. I can exersise without shortness of breath, but get it sometimes at rest. Had two occosians of tachocardia had to go to er (before i quite smoking). Treated with zanax. Zanax takes care of the shortness of breath. I have quit smoking before and had similar shortness of breath, but not this severe. Probably age (48)?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,Often smokers avoid trying to stop smoking because they falsely believe that it is too difficult or painful to go through. What you must do is locate a good way to quit smoking that won't be painful for you. The worst part of quitting smoking occurs in the first 72 hours after you stop smoking. This is the length of time that it takes for nicotine to leave your body and thus your physical craving will be diminished. Then the struggle becomes psychological.
    Danny03 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey all, I quit smoking 6months ago now still feeling not so well but, better than when I first quit. I gained 40lbs and have very bad acne now as well as sinus pain feeling stuffed up and like my throat is swollen all the time ( could be allergies ) I just hope this is all temporay, I find water helps a lot! when I feel short of breath. I get more than enough exercise I also take vitimens and eat lots of fruit and veggies. MAYBE DETOXING TOO FAST?! I think stress is a big factor as well. I sometimes take a homeopathic medicine called CALMS helps! But If I was to give any advice it would be WATER + EXERCISE lots of it and finding other ways to relax.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Thanks for the reply. I just don't have the smokers cough. I know it's only been three months since I quit but, I'm kind of scared that I don't have it. I'm feeling that my lungs are not able to clean out.I smoked for 6 years and quit for a month, and I never had the cough either :/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2009
    • 07:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Congrats to all who have decided to quit smoking !! Go to whyquit.com for support and info. that will help you stay quit.Nicotine is a very addictive drug the more you learn the better your chances of staying quit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I really dont see any answers as i also look for this symptom answer. I quit smoking 5 months ago without any help, it was far eisier than I thought after 30 years of puffing. however I had this metalic taste (and still do) I havent coughed anything up (which I expected) yes I gained weight as I think everyone does but recently I have had shortness of breath and at times find myself forcing the air in, this isnt during excersise sometimes im just talking to someone and it happens, almost like I forgot to breathe.I did have a chest x ray a month after I quit and was told it looked OK Its not a nice feeling and may be linked to the metalic taste i still get when I do cough, I have looked at this all over the net but as of yet am unable to find answers
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 17, 2009
    • 11:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I quit smoking after 46 years and I also have had shortness of breath and at times find myself forcing the air in, this isnt during excersise sometimes im just talking to someone and it happens, almost like I forgot to breathe. It would be nice to know what is the reason for this.On another subject - when I tried to quit smoking before I had bad allergy from a regular chewing gum - bad nose drip and terrible cough - so if you quit be careful which chewing gum you use. This time I used 2 mG Nicorette gum and I was OK.I really dont see any answers as i also look for this symptom answer. I quit smoking 5 months ago without any help, it was far eisier than I thought after 30 years of puffing. however I had this metalic taste (and still do) I havent coughed anything up (which I expected) yes I gained weight as I think everyone does but recently I have had shortness of breath and at times find myself forcing the air in, this isnt during excersise sometimes im just talking to someone and it happens, almost like I forgot to breathe.I did have a chest x ray a month after I quit and was told it looked OK Its not a nice feeling and may be linked to the metalic taste i still get when I do cough, I have looked at this all over the net but as of yet am unable to find answers
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 22, 2010
    • 07:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a Lung CAT scan several months after quitting smoking for something unrelated and it detected a minor Bronchiectasis which can only be detected on a CAT scan - chest Xrays and Lung function tests don't pick it up. So if you are at a loss for shortness of breath it's worth getting a CAT scan to rule out bronchiectasis because the condition can prevent the clearing of lungs.
  • I quit smoking on July 16, 2007 after starting Chantix on or around July 4. I had been doing fine on the drug. But I have the exact same symptoms as what I've read on here (it's how I found this forum). I experience shortness of breath on occasion, I always want to nosh and I gained 7 lbs initially, but have lost 5 of it as time went on. By the way, my last dose of Chantix was 2 weeks ago.I do not nor have I ever coughed up phlegm; even in my bronchitis moments. I feel great and love being able to walk, run et al without wheezing. Sometimes, I have to remind myself when I am short of breath that I am a non-smoker. I dream about smoking, and am grateful that when I awaken, it was only a dream.I was hoping to feel a little bit better than this, tho. I absolutely love not reeking of stale cigarettes anymore; I love the way my body, hair and clothes smell. And others would tell me that I literally stank when I smoked, even tho I diligently washed my hands and used a refreshing body spray scent afterwards.Anyway, my inclusion into this board is only meant to show you that you are not alone by a long shot! I bought a book entitled "Out of the Ashes" by Peter and Peggy Holmes, because there are hardly any tomes out there for us nonsmokers. We did the hard part, and now, I'm finding the maintenance a ****h.Sincerely,NatNat,Get checked for emphysema sure looks like you have a lot of the symptoms.
  • I'm 30 years old and have smoked since 17. I quit on June 10, 2007. I've had constant chest pain for about 5 years. Had all the test many times ruling out heart problems. I figured it was because of the smoking. I haven't gotten any better. As a matter of fact it all got worse, and is now including constent shortness of breath. I haven't had that smokers cough that everyone talks about coughing up phlem or anything, I don't know what is wrong there. I've also put on a lot of weight in the past 6 years. I'm 5'10" 224 lbs. 6 years ago I was 179 lbs. Can anyone help me?When can I expect to get that smokers cough clearing out my lungs, or doesn't everyone get it? Why could my chest be hurting like this? I've been put on every axiety medication known to man, but no help. My doctor is at a loss as well.Your issue is not in your chest it is a side effect to either thyroid problems, Or Ovarian. I have Ovarian problems and have the same issues, See your doctor and get your hormones all checked out, especially if you have strange hair growth.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2010
    • 01:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • im not a dr. but i just saw a show on tv called mystery diagnosis and the patient had a metallic taste in her mouth and it was spinal fluid leaking from somewhere in her head.hope this helpsI really dont see any answers as i also look for this symptom answer. I quit smoking 5 months ago without any help, it was far eisier than I thought after 30 years of puffing. however I had this metalic taste (and still do) I havent coughed anything up (which I expected) yes I gained weight as I think everyone does but recently I have had shortness of breath and at times find myself forcing the air in, this isnt during excersise sometimes im just talking to someone and it happens, almost like I forgot to breathe.I did have a chest x ray a month after I quit and was told it looked OK Its not a nice feeling and may be linked to the metalic taste i still get when I do cough, I have looked at this all over the net but as of yet am unable to find answers
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 02:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i dont mean to scare you but i know people who have smoked for 30 years or so who have up and still have the smokers cough, tightening of the chest ect... if you have smoked for a long time which you have it may a long time for your lungs to get rid of the rubbish which is inside it.. thats what i think it could be but im no expert....I've been smoking for 45 years now, I try to quit so many times, but the main reason I keep going back is that I get very short of breath. It sounds crazy, but I actually feel better when I smoke. I know it's going to kill me one day, but I cant take the effects when I stop. DONT give up , & look for some reason to go back though !!!!
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement