Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Bloating, Feeling sick... What is wrong?

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: crockett777
  • September 1, 2007
  • 00:53 AM

Hi, Ever since the end of July/beggining of August I've been feeling sick and bloated, I started to drink more water than I used to, But now I'm losing my appetite. I havent eaten much and that also starts to make me feel sick. I then start to have panic attacks because I think I am going to vomit. (I have emtophobia). I went to the doctors and was given buscopan, It started to help out but I still feel bad. I keep getting told that it's all in my mind and I'm mentally ill, but I'm sure there is something wrong with me. I have never been officially diagnosed with IBS, But I already know I have inherited that from my mother.

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• If there is an edit button, sorry, I can't find it. There are two things I forgot to mention. When I feel sick, burping often makes me feel better. I also get wind, which also sometimes makes me feel better. But I will burp for no reason as I'm walking or watching tv.
    crockett777 3 Replies
    • September 1, 2007
    • 07:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i had the same symptoms... stomach cancer
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 02:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Before you start panicing about stomach cancer, please be aware that it is rare.I have the same symptoms as you and I dont have stomach cancer. I too am emetophobic.You will probably find that because you worry about being sick on a daily basis, you tend to get worked up and swallow more air. The more air you swallow the more trapped wind you get, hence the symptoms of feeling sick (vicious Circle). I was also diagnosed with GORD (Gastro Reflux disease) and the doctor has perscribed Omeprazole. I take one every morning then eat about 45 min to an hour later and they make me feel better. On the days that I do feel quite bad, try Windease, Settlers, Gaviscon or sometimes Extra Strong Mints. I recommend a complete lifestyle change aswell, with regards to eating. Do not eat after half 7 on the night and when you do eat try having just a small sandwhich and replace your lunch time meal with something more substantial. Also you have not got a Mental Disease. Emetophobia is about the 4th most common phobia in the world. I get worked up when I feel a bit iffy aswell. You will need to learn how to cope with this Phobia. When you feel a bit iffy, take your mind of it by reading a book, watching TV, going for a walk. Try breathing excersises when you do find a panic attack starting. Firstly breath through your nose and out through your mouth slowly. Keeping doing that while counting to 10. Then have a 10 second break and then try breathing slowly again for 20 seconds. You will soon be a right as rain.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2009
    • 00:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • omg i finaly foundpeople who have the same symptoms as meive been trying to find out what it is for agesi eat something and i start feeling sick after sometimes with a bit of a belly ache and when i burp i feel better but it only lasts for a few seconds..do u recon it will be gastro reflux deseis? im getting rather annoyed with it since ive had it for years i also panic if i think im going to be sick,wich is a phobia ( i think)i start crying sometimes heheand thank you so much Ditchy it really helped aboutthe breathing partim feeling a bit iffy at the moment and getting worked up because i think im going to be sick or panic incaseits a tummy bug..:(just want to find out wat it is tbh :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Littleleigh.To be honest, when you go to the doctors, they know relatively little about emetophobia. They diagnosed me with Gastro Reflux disease, however I feel that I was mis-diagnosed. I personally think all the nausea I have is down to this fear of vomiting. I panic when people have stomach bugs. I was my hands every 30 mins and wont eat anything until my hands are washed throughly. I panic if I feel a bit of a stomach twing, which then lead to me thinking im ill and leads to me panicking and feeling worse. I find the best thing is to try and keep my mind of it. Like reading, going on my computer, watching TV. #My advise to you would be to see your doctor. Explain your symptoms and your fear (they will understand as it is on par with phobias like, spiders and closed spaces). Your doctor will be sympathetic and try and advise you on the best course of treatment. If he doesnt get a new doctor who will. Then see what works best for you. I find drinking lots and lots of water helps. Especially if I have eaten badly the night before, I tend to drink more water and it flushed the gases, acid and left overs out of your stomach which makes you feel better. I hope you do find the best course of treatment and if you need any more non-medical advised please feel free to e-mails me at ditchy_jon@hotmail.com
  • omg i finaly foundpeople who have the same symptoms as meive been trying to find out what it is for agesi eat something and i start feeling sick after sometimes with a bit of a belly ache and when i burp i feel better but it only lasts for a few seconds..do u recon it will be gastro reflux deseis? im getting rather annoyed with it since ive had it for years i also panic if i think im going to be sick,wich is a phobia ( i think)i start crying sometimes heheand thank you so much Ditchy it really helped aboutthe breathing partim feeling a bit iffy at the moment and getting worked up because i think im going to be sick or panic incaseits a tummy bug..:(just want to find out wat it is tbh :(I have had this since I was about 20. It's nothing but trapped air in your stomach. It makes you feel sick until you either burp it all up or the other end! I will burp like a sailor, several times and sometimes for a while, until I get it all out. Then I feel fine. In fact, I have it right now and was on line seeing if anyone else has this. I hate and never know when I will get it. I have found that when I eat raw garlic, it will happen. You can take antacides or make yourself burp. You can also use baking soda in water. Or in a real pinch, try some soda to help you burp. Just get that air out! Walk, squat, just move, it will help the air will to move along.Good luck, I have to get up and get moving, lots to do for Christmas and I'm not feeling well!Merry Christmas!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2009
    • 02:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • wow i can't actually believe there are other people out there like me, haha, i too have a fear of being sick, and haven't been sick in ovr 10 years, and when i do feel it, i noticed that burping makes me feel tonnes better, thanx guys :D
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2010
    • 07:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Ever since the end of July/beggining of August I've been feeling sick and bloated, I started to drink more water than I used to, But now I'm losing my appetite. I havent eaten much and that also starts to make me feel sick. I then start to have panic attacks because I think I am going to vomit. (I have emtophobia). I went to the doctors and was given buscopan, It started to help out but I still feel bad. I keep getting told that it's all in my mind and I'm mentally ill, but I'm sure there is something wrong with me. I have never been officially diagnosed with IBS, But I already know I have inherited that from my mother. I also have a severe phobia of vomiting and ever scince my stomach problems have stared my phobia has consumed me and i think makes me feel worse, i really want to get over this phobia its taking over my life!
    alissa731 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm so glad I found this website! I started feeling ill about 45 mins ago- cold/ hot-ish after drinking a smoothie. Now, me being me I possibly started feeling ill because I told myself in my head that this drink would make me feel ill (either that or I genuinely was going to puke "/). So, paranoia sets in, I decide to go for a short drive along a road I always go on. BAD IDEA- bumpy road that I'd never noticed before. Now my method to cope with feeling ill is trying to calm myself down aand ask my Mum- "I'm not going to be ill, am I?" looking for certain reassurance! Then, I turn a corner and was this close to spewing- it was horrible :( Panic sets in, felt like crying, wanted to run- get away from the feeling but couldn't! Then, feeling of a burp came (thinking, hoping it would make me feel better- it did, amazingly! Point is, everytime I feel ill I get sooo scared and paranoid and kinda freak out- I hate it :( I'm scared it's a stomach bug kicking off and get so so sooo paranoid. Plus, I get wind problems- loadz of pain so I get scared that that sets in again which makes me freak out more :( AND I'm pretty sure I have OCD which kinda 'mentally reassures' me if I do a routine correctly that I won't spew. I missed 3 months of school for feeling ill one day and getting scared of spewing in school- even though I hadn't puked that day or even in that 3 months (or in the least 5 years +-ish before that for that matter)- I just had a major fear :( and I don't think it's gone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2010
    • 08:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey don't worry about it. Im 26 years old and Im still panick about being ill. The thing is with being scared of Vomiting, a small belly ache can make you think you are ill. There is nothing I can really say to help your through this. All I can say is that you are not alone, there a millions of people who struggle through this Phobia, it is very common. One good thing though, statistically people who have a fear of Vomiting such as ourselves tend to vomit around once every 10 - 20 years if that. Its because we can calm ourselves down. Just remember when you feel ill, keep your mind off it, go on the internet, read a book. My general rule of thumb is that if you feel sick, then you probably just want to sleep (your body's way of telling you, you are not well). Therefore if you still want to drink water, stay up watch TV, go on internet, read a book etc, then you are probably not ill enough to be sick.Wish you all the luck in the future, try not to let it consume you, if it does, see the doctor, they can always help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2010
    • 01:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, Ever since the end of July/beggining of August I've been feeling sick and bloated, I started to drink more water than I used to, But now I'm losing my appetite. I havent eaten much and that also starts to make me feel sick. I then start to have panic attacks because I think I am going to vomit. (I have emtophobia). I went to the doctors and was given buscopan, It started to help out but I still feel bad. I keep getting told that it's all in my mind and I'm mentally ill, but I'm sure there is something wrong with me. I have never been officially diagnosed with IBS, But I already know I have inherited that from my mother. ,its sad, i'm 13 &for the past week i feel bloated &like i'm going to barf but i can't, i feel when i get a hot bath it will make me feel better but constanly it will still hurt, i don't know what to do about it soo.. help :)
    sambam 1 Replies
    • December 1, 2010
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hey, thanks for that :) That really did make me feel somewhat better :D The problem is now, my aunty and cousin had the stomach bug about 3/4 weeks ago on the Tuesday, and although I hadn't come in contact with them at all until a week or so after, ever since this I've been feeling ever so paranoid that I'm going to catch this stomach bug. Anytime I hear on facebook that someone has had it, I automatically start panicking again that I'm going to catch it. I went to the city a week back and could not wait to get off the train quick enough, counting down the stops and minutes until I could get off- annoying and slightly irrational but when the fear hits- it just feels so real and you're convinced something will happen. Same happened in the cinema- I got paranoid of being in such a crowded place that I left before the film started... Went to the docs and told him all of this and he prescribed me something called 'Buccastem' which relieves the nausea and vomiting associated with migraines. This has really reassured me but anytime I feel queasy- I go insane with the thought I might throw up and scale the internet to make me feel better! I look for the symptons etc. some make me feel reassured, others scare me "/ Funny thing is, when I feel ill, I'm pretty sure that it's myself that makes me feel ill by simply thinking that I might catch 'it'. Ahh, emetophobia's such a b*tch "/Hey don't worry about it. Im 26 years old and Im still panick about being ill. The thing is with being scared of Vomiting, a small belly ache can make you think you are ill. There is nothing I can really say to help your through this. All I can say is that you are not alone, there a millions of people who struggle through this Phobia, it is very common. One good thing though, statistically people who have a fear of Vomiting such as ourselves tend to vomit around once every 10 - 20 years if that. Its because we can calm ourselves down. Just remember when you feel ill, keep your mind off it, go on the internet, read a book. My general rule of thumb is that if you feel sick, then you probably just want to sleep (your body's way of telling you, you are not well). Therefore if you still want to drink water, stay up watch TV, go on internet, read a book etc, then you are probably not ill enough to be sick.Wish you all the luck in the future, try not to let it consume you, if it does, see the doctor, they can always help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2010
    • 03:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, for the past year or so, i've been feeling sick, up to the point where i feel i am going to vomit! (i have a fear of being sick, so when i feel like this, i panic so much i have to go outside & get fresh air!) i'm having a white/yellow discharge. I've had the capsules & the cream many times to get rid of thrush which is what my doctor said it was, but it still isnt going. I have dizzy spells, pain in my stomach & ive recently been bloated alot, especially after i eat. I've been having alot of wind & it can make me feel better sometimes. I'm very tierd & stressed because of all these symptoms im having, to the point where im crying! I've been for test after test & everythings coming back normal! Can anyone help me out? This is ruining my life!!!!!
  • HiI to have wierd bloating sicky thing going on too for a few months now, I can't eat to much or eat after 7 ish. I do exercises and try to eat healthy But sometimes chocolate sneaks in there but I can only eat 2 or 3 pieces before I could eat 2 or 3 bars must be because I'm getting old .And going through ingestion Liquid. Also have a bit of a fear about being sick I hate it, but after having three children I don't really have a choice I now have to try to be ok when being sick as I dont want them to be like me when I was younger. so just becareful about what u eat don't eat to much drink lots of Water and I may try those prebiotic yogurts too. So glad I'm not the only one. I don't know if it's serious to c the doc cause I did feel like it all the time sometimes I'll be ok for a few days and the I'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I'm going to be sick or be bloated and not burp but the other all evening.
    Mumofthree 1 Replies
    • January 23, 2013
    • 07:14 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement