Discussions By Condition: Allergies

Spontaneous flushing and redness of face and body.

Posted In: Allergies 198 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 18, 2006
  • 07:03 PM

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section, but if someone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. For some reason, I turn extremely red in the face and body. This has been happening to me a few years now, and I really just started noticing how red I turn. I don't know how or why it happens...and it's not just my face either, my neck, arms, and chest turn red as well. Sometimes, it's spontanious, and I just turn red for no reason whatsoever, and then there are other times when I get nervous, embarrassed, and I turn red. The weird thing is, is that I can be talking to someone that I am completely comfortable around and i'll turn red. So it's not just when i'm nervous, or embarrassed. But It happens soo quick, it takes like 1 second for my entire upper body to turn red. People get turned off when i turn red, and they quit talking to me or they look away so they aren't staring at this red faced person. But anyway, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, and i'm not on any form of medication. This is really messing up my social life, and if there is anybody out there that can help, you would be a life saver. I'm 19 years old, and tryin to get through college and hold a job, and this problem of mine doesn't make it easy at all.

Please, someone help me out.

Jordan

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Do you ingest any food or drinks that contain aspartame (Nutrasweet)? If so, stop and see what happens.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2006
    • 03:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You are not alone.!! I myself will turn beet red at the drop of a hat. I have since I can remember. Thus causing me to be more of a shy person then I'd like to be.It happens for me when I get embarrassed or put on the spot, But even when I'm completely comfortable chatting with a friend or family member.It's also triggered from Stress, Alcohol, Hot food (such as soup) the extreme heat in the summer. I HATE it & have seen a dermatologist about it. It is not Rosacea that I know. they are trying me on blood pressure medication but it doesn't really work. It will seem to at 1st but then I'm back to square one. I'm pretty much willing to try anything to help this. It is very embarrassing & negatively effecting my life. If there is anyone who can offer any help, I'd love some aswell.Nicole
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2006
    • 05:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • The flushing seems to be secondary to vasodilation. Therfore, it is best to avoid things that dilate blood vessels. The capillaries are close to the skin, especially in the face, nect and upper arm regions. (Caffeine, sugar, various Rx, MSG, saffron in yellow rice....are some of the culprits.) Even without consuming the above ingredients, the fact that the capillaries are so close to the skin will just be something that happens. (I have it too.) For a quick fix, I will get some ice or a cold can or bag and place it on my pulse (arms and neck) and on my cheeks. I'll drink icewater and the coldness seems to help constrict the vessels and reducing the flushing. Hope it helps for you as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2006
    • 07:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Its good to know that you are not alone in this. I have been having this spontanious flushing for years now. My arms, chest, and especially neck all will turn red within an instant. I can feel it coming on, and know that my neck looks blotchy and strange to others. MY hands become especially painful and at times throb.There have been many times in my life I was worried about wearing clothes that would show this redness, and being in bright or florescent light seem to highlight it. I grew to love turtlenecks to hide it, and would wear one in any situation where i might be stressed.I have found that running my hands under freezing cold water and taking deep breathes helps me, sometimes reducing the redness. Often I have no control over it, and am lead to believe I have a circulatory disorder. I am unaware of anything that helps this and calms the redness, its just so unpredictable, and will even happen times when i am alone. I'm 25 now, and learning who I really am, I have learned to deal with this amoung other things and realise I could always be worse off. I remember being 19, in college, and scared that one sip of beer would turn me into a red animal. You can get through it, and keep the faith. The most important thing is to know who you are and to be confident. If you can find that, you will see the redness doesnt define who you are. Good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 20, 2007
    • 04:10 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Jordan,I'm actually amazed that other people have this problem too. I have been concerned with mine for years and when I read Lizabeth's comment on turtlenecks, I almost cried. I am 29 and started noticing this in junior high, because people would point it out to me. It was pure panic when we had to give speeches and it happens anytime I have attention from a group or new people that I'm uncomfortable around. If I'm nervous or embarrassed, it definitely happens. And like you said, I could feel fine and still have it. Definite triggers are a glass of wine, anger, talking while nervous, or getting embarrassed. The worst is going to the doctor, because I have moved a lot, so I have had a variety of doctors. No one seems to comment, which makes it even worse, because you can't help but notice. I did have one doctor that commented that it must really suck (hmm...unprofessional?) I don't have any advice, besides what I've read on the internet. I think there is a surgery where they cut something in your chest. The closest thing i've seen to this was on Grey's Anatomy - a girl had spontaneous flushing and she had the surgery. I have more like red splotches that get really dark. I'm actually engaged and am not having a wedding because of this problem. I hide it by wearing a lot of high neck/turtleneck sweaters in winter. If you get any answers elsewhere, will you post??
    irish99 1 Replies
    • February 23, 2007
    • 11:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have your blood pressure checked.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2007
    • 00:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem! It has been happening to me for about 3 years but the redness has gotten worse. Now it turns this deep red, almost purple color. It won't be red all over either...it will be splotched. My chest, arms, and neck do it as well. It bothers me more and more everyday. It affects everything I do. I am 22 and also it college and its to the point where I hate going to school, or anywhere for that matter. I have found this lotion that is a lifesaver although I would much rather solve the problem that have to try to cover it up. Its made by eurcerin and its called redness relief. I bought it from Eckerds and thats the only place Ive ever seen it. I went to a dermotologists first and he said I had roscea. After taking and putting on medicine for about 6 months I decided to try to see a different doctor since I was seeing no improvement. I went to a physician and she thought that I may have a carcinoid tumor. I had a CT scan and that came back abnormal so they scheduled me for a octreotide scan. The results to that came back negative so now I am back to square one. I am going to an allergist in a few weeks and hoping they will be able to figure something out. I dont really think its an allergy but I am just praying that someday...soon...someone will be able to help me out. Good luck finding out what is causing your hot flashes. If you figure anything out please respond back. Thanks!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I have the exact same thing.Went to derm. and had a biopsy on the neck, came back dermal fibrosis.I do have lupus and so this could be related.Does anyone else have lupus or been tested?Doctor put me on plaquenil.
  • I wrote the comment on 3/03. I'm still working on finding out what is causing my "hot flashes". Is anyone on birth control pills? I was on orthotriclycen low...but I stopped about 2 weeks ago. Im not sure if it is going to improve the ordeal or not but it was definitely worth a try. If it does...or if it doesnt, I will reply.
  • I have observed skin turning from normal to splotchy red just this morning in my 8 year old son. He had just consumed some jelly beans, and in minutes his cheeks were bright red. Earlier this month my daughter had the flushed cheeks and complained of a sore neck. I took her in to the pediatrician -was concerned about the dual symtoms of red skin and stiff neck (meninigitis). She thankfully was negative for strep and the doctor said the red cheeks did not have the sandpaper texture that would signal something more serious. She said the red cheeks were a curious but not alarming; maybe the result of some virus. After examining her neck the doctor made a guess that the tubes in the ear were congested and causing the pressure/pain and we should try some decongestants. We did this and she felt immediate relief. As did I.SO when I noticed the red cheeks on my son, last week on and off, I felt that he was dealing with "a little virus". He had some congestion with sneezing, which I attributed to seasonal allergies. we were giving him loratadine syrup each morning for that based on doctors recommendation. Looking at his cheeks just moments ago the redness is still visible but not as pronounced. Maybe the Loratadine is working?
  • bump, this is interesting and no one seems to have a real solution
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Do any of you that posted have these symptoms with exercise??? I have what you all are saying with exact symptoms but I also get this with exercise and I have it linked to my blood pressure as well. I have a really low blood pressure, usually 90/60. Not sure how to proceed with it though.
    jifnif 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have this, I've had it for pretty much all my life. It has gotten worse in my teen years since more pressure. Whenever I feel uncomfortable or nervous my face and neck go bright red. I can't control it, I try not thinking about it and it will usally go away but still its differcult to go out in public and people looking at you.
  • I posted about the dermal fibrosis.I have been taking plaquenil for a month now and it seems to be helping a little.My worst problem is that my entire neck and face turn a reddish purplish. Even when I don't feel embarrassed, it still happens. Again I do have lupus and the doctors don't know if its related or not. Hopefully the medicine will continue to help.Good luck to you all. I will post again to followup.
  • I had them bad in college. Have not had one since. back then, valuim would settle it, and me, down.\Jordan,I'm actually amazed that other people have this problem too. I have been concerned with mine for years and when I read Lizabeth's comment on turtlenecks, I almost cried. I am 29 and started noticing this in junior high, because people would point it out to me. It was pure panic when we had to give speeches and it happens anytime I have attention from a group or new people that I'm uncomfortable around. If I'm nervous or embarrassed, it definitely happens. And like you said, I could feel fine and still have it. Definite triggers are a glass of wine, anger, talking while nervous, or getting embarrassed. The worst is going to the doctor, because I have moved a lot, so I have had a variety of doctors. No one seems to comment, which makes it even worse, because you can't help but notice. I did have one doctor that commented that it must really suck (hmm...unprofessional?) I don't have any advice, besides what I've read on the internet. I think there is a surgery where they cut something in your chest. The closest thing i've seen to this was on Grey's Anatomy - a girl had spontaneous flushing and she had the surgery. I have more like red splotches that get really dark. I'm actually engaged and am not having a wedding because of this problem. I hide it by wearing a lot of high neck/turtleneck sweaters in winter. If you get any answers elsewhere, will you post??
  • Just wanted to comment. I'm a physician in Mississippi. Although fair complected and turned red when embarrassed in the past, in medical school, after a viral illness, my flushing became horrible. It is worse on the left side of my face and body, can happen spontaneously but also triggered by any embarrassment or elevated temperature. The redness can be almost purple in color, making for a very awkward social situation. Interestingly, I had to have emergency surgery a year ago for a bowel obstruction secondary to a Meckel's Diverticulum, a congenital remnant of the bowel which caused my small intestine to twist. After removal of the Meckel's, my condition improved considerably, but has since recently worsened again. Meckel's often contain cells that put out chemical factors such as VIP (vasoactive intestinal peptide) and seratonin. These are well known causes of flushing. I'm currently trying to test myself for some of these. Also, fyi, is severe cases of flushing not caused by the above, a thoracic sympathetic nerve destruction can help as well. This is not without its risks, but can give marked improvement. John
  • John, I am very interested in your situation and knowledge. I believe mine is a chemical imbalance in my body!!! Either hormonal or other. I am not a dr so I can only guess. I have a question that maybe you can help me with (or anyone)...what would give my body odor the smell of ammonia??? After I exercise to the point of sweating I smell of ammonia, pretty strongly. I know our body must get rid of wastes in this form but to the point of smelling it???? What can I do to cleanse my body of all toxins??? :confused:
    jifnif 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • It seems to me that I have exactly what you all are talking about. Its been concerning me for the past few years, and recently I have been to the derm. about it...they told me first that I had rosacea, but the medication for that didn't help. I went back and a different doctor told me i had hives, but that didn't make any sense. Finally another doctor told me i have dermagraphic (if you get scratched on your chest, back, or face it stays for awhile gets really red and sometimes bumpy...basically you can write on your own skin) But that hasn't solved the problem of my getting "flushed" so often and so fast. It usually happens (but not always) when i drink, eat spicy foods, get nervous or embarrassed, when i exercise, and sometimes for no reason at all when i am just talking to someone. Sometimes i just get really red really fast, and other times it's red and spotchy, especially on my chest, on the side of my nose right under my eyes, and the outer edges of my jaw line It's quite annoying and makes me uncomfortable to talk in public or even in a small crowd of people. I am engaged and getting married this summer, I'm kind of worried, because i know i'm going to be red and flushed at my own wedding, but then again, my fiance knows how i am, and he's the only one marrying me, so what should i care what everyone else thinks? either way, i wanted to post this message to see if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts on how to solve this problem....
  • I am writing again since I have been back to a derm.Apparently flushing is an early symptom of rocesea afterall.I've had the flushing for years and now it has evolved into rocesea. I was given a cream which seems to be helping a little.
  • can i ask what cream you were given? I have noticed deep breathing and going someplace cool can help reduce the redness, but that isn't always easy when you're out to dinner. i've been trying the eucerin redness relief...it hasn't been long enough to tell whether or not it works.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement