Discussions By Condition: Hip conditions

Cyclical Hip Pain

Posted In: Hip conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 17, 2007
  • 01:48 PM

Hi. I've been suffering with chronic pain in my right hip and other strange symptoms for 4 years and seeing doctors with no answers. The pain is clearly influenced by hormones -- it starts 2 weeks prior to my period with a tugging, tight sensation deep in the hip/groin, and progresses to extreme stabbing pain in the hip down the thigh. The pain goes away every month when I get my period and then comes back again in 2 weeks. I am on birth control pill to, and have been for many years (was put on it for extremely irregular periods), so the pain is NOT ovulation. Sexual arousal and bowel movements increase the intensity of the pain greatly during my two "bad" weeks. I used to have abdominal pain as well, but I had laproscopic surgery in 2005 to rule out endometriosis and the doctor ablated a nerve, so now, only the hip pain. I have also been diagnosed with bursitis because touching my outer right hip is excruciating, no matter what time of the month. Since bursitis is not usually so long-term and cyclical, and since 2 cortisone shots and 9 months of physical therapy did not alleviate the problem, there is something else going on. During PT, my therapist noticed some assymetry in my back soft tissue and referred me to a physiatrist, who did an MRI and found lumbar arthritis. The doctors don't think the hip pain is referred from the back arthritis, although they want me to get an injection in my back to rule out referred pain.

Other problems I have: fibroids (one the size of a spoon), but no doctors have thought that could cause the hip pain, polycystic ovaries, a slightly enlarged thyroid, dry eyes (I can't wear contacts anymore--that sensitivity started around the same time as the hip pain worsened), pain during sex, and recently, iron-deficiency anemia. I had a bad ankle injury in 2004 and for a while, the doctors were attributing my hip issues to that (left ankle, right hip) but again, physical therapy didn't help so probably not the case.

Help!!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement