Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Pain, numbness, on right side of body

Posted In: Nerve conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: sunshineibanez
  • August 14, 2007
  • 00:32 AM

About 7 months ago I began to feel a small "numb" spot on my right thigh no larger than a golf ball in diameter. I didn't pay much attention to it because I thought maybe I had just slept wrong. Well, it never went away. Then 2 months ago it spread from my right buttock all the way down to my knee. My foot gets a random pins and needles feeling that comes and goes (different from all of the other numbness). About three weeks after that I noticed a small golf ball size numb spot on my right upper arm. That too has spread. My right chest, shoulder blade and arm are numb minus the sensation I can still feel in my thumb and pointer fingers. My arm feels very heavy and weak. My shoulder droops as well. My right cheek also has diminished sensation. The numbness is constant and never gets better only worse. I also have a persistent headache which will occasionally get so bad I cannot function at all. I saw my PCP and he ordered blood work and a CT with and w/o contrast, all of which was normal. He referred me to a neurologist, but they cannot see me for a month and it is all very painful. I cannot have an MRI because of RSD in my left hand. Does anyone have any ideas? I am really getting scared.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• I don't have any ideas about what might be causing your condition but I just want to offer you words of support and a prayer that you will find an answer to what is going on with you. I know how frustrating it can be to not have a clue as to what is going on when something is obviously wrong! I pray that you'll get some answers soon!!
    jojom0405 15 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much. It seems lately I could use all of the prayers I can get.:)
    sunshineibanez 2 Replies
    • August 14, 2007
    • 11:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am just writing to follow up and give an update. My numbness and burning is now moving to the right side of my body as well. My PCP has put me on 600mg of neurontin, 1.5mg of xanax, and 100mg of Trazadone to help me sleep. This stuff helps very mildly. I have gotten to the point where my right arm is so weak I cannot do dishes and I am constantly getting dizzy and falling over. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I am still waiting to see a neurologist.
    sunshineibanez 2 Replies
    • September 2, 2007
    • 01:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • When is your appt with the neurologist? I pray that he/she will have some answers for you. Also, have you had any infections prior to all this starting? I believe there is a syndrome that can follow an infection that causes symptoms such as you describe. I believe it's called Guillain-Barre disease. Although with this I believe the symptoms might come on at a faster rate than what you are describing. Maybe something for you to look into. From what I've read complete recovery from this is possible. I am not expert on this and only have read about it briefly but I though I might suggest something that maybe you have not thought of yet especially since the prognosis for this is good and it might give you some hope until you get some answers. Please keep posting regarding the status of your condition. God bless!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2007
    • 04:25 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement