Discussions By Condition: Cardiovascular disease

Chf?

Posted In: Cardiovascular disease 4 Replies
  • Posted By: KatieRose
  • August 4, 2007
  • 05:41 PM

I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia about 2 years ago and take Cardizem. Recently I've noticed an increase in feeling short of breath on exertion and I've developed some phlegm in my throat like you might have with allergies, although I'm really not coughing. I cough once in a while, but I can't tell if the phlegm is coming from my chest or maybe my sinuses. I had a normal chest x-ray about a month ago and my doctor says my lung sound okay, but I'm wondering if I could be developing congestive heart failure. Has anyone else had these symtpoms with a different diagnosis? I'm only 41 years old, but I smoked in the past, although I no longer smoke, and I am obese.
Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• Is the phlegm clear and do you cough it up only in the morning? If so, you could be developing COPD.What other symptoms do you have?Also if this is in the morning hours and then dissipates during the day, more or less, it could be due to sleep apnea. And the complications of sleep apnea are heart related too.There could be a connection.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am experiencing the same. 56 y/old female. I have Ischemic Heart Disease, had a bypass in 2005. I can hear/feel soft crackling/popping in my upper chest when lying on my left side, for several weeks now. My doctor can't hear anything. I also cough up bits of phlegm about once a day, and today I am wheezing mildly. Very little stamina for exertion, even walking around the mall puffs me. I am also wondering about CHF. I am already on lots of medication to improve heart function.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2007
    • 07:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was recently dignosed with CHF after a heart attack/chf attack earlier this year. Ive read all the stats online regarding chf, but they dont really tell me much about how to live with it? I have an EF of 31 up it seems from the original 20 i was told it was? They say i didnt have a heart infection but no one seems to be able to say why the ejection fracton is improving? Im very confused and would love some information????:confused:
    Heartsore 14 Replies
    • October 22, 2007
    • 04:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • With chf weight control seems to be a biggie, my instance is i was sorta unweight, so now that im actually gaining weight, which to my mind is fluid, the dr doesnt seem concerned.....this week i gained 10lbs...ive gone from 115 to 135 in about 2 months....is this the effect of meds? my diet is great..cos of suspected auotimmune stuff im very careful of it..i dont smoke or drink ....i avoid sodium like the plague.....another question is..how can i or do i have any contol over progression of the disease...im showing very little symptoms cept for weight gain...my ejection fractor is 31 although i was originally told it was less than 20 ...im very confused...my cardiologist says cardiac rehab wont benefit me as im active but i need questions answered.....the inter-net has so much confusing stuff on it its hard to figure whats right or wrong....is my life span going to be less than 2 years, 5 years or what? I feel suddenly since this happened ive lost control of everything !!!!! anyone out there feeling the same or with any info to share??? id really appreciate it..im 58 normally happy and upbeat....but this is like someone just pushed some big rocks into my boat !!!
    Heartsore 14 Replies
    • October 23, 2007
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement