Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

Sore throat associated with pain on one side of head...

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 12, 2006
  • 03:35 PM

I have a bit of a sore throat, around my tonsil I think, its associated with scalp sensitivty and a slight ear ache on just one side. What is this? I've heard this has something to do with cranial nerves or something. It seems there is some kind of small infection running through just the left side of my head, what and how? This happens once or twice a year. :eek:

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Have you gotten any replies to this yet? I didn't notice any. I just joined Wrong Diagnosis today so I'm new to this. Anyway, I have these symptoms too.
    Esti94590 6 Replies
    • September 26, 2006
    • 06:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • THIS IS SO STRANGE! I have it, too. Developed over last 3 days. I called my dentist because it feels like an abscess I had before. Do you have ear ache, too? I wonder if something "new" is going around. I don't believe in coincidence. I'm female as well.Tooth abscesses take a LONG time to hit critical mass. Have ya'll tried seeing your dentist? The one I had felt like a sinususitis for 6 months until I woke up one morning feeling like someone was poking an icepick through the left side of my face like it was a pin cushion. It can make your entire head hurt.Go N.O. Saints!
    70124ever 1 Replies
    • September 26, 2006
    • 00:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't see any responses. It is 19 MAR 09 and I have the same symptons. Pain on right side of head above ear, and on right side of neck. just started a couple hours ago.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I see that many women have the same type of the headache as me. I have it now for 4 days straight, especially in the morning the pain is unbearable. My left side is in pain, all my teeth on the left side, very sore throat (can barely swallow because of pain) and not to mention the entire left side of the head. Today I took 11 pills of ibuprofen, did not work I really hope someone will reply with some answer soon.
  • Sorry if this upsets the string, but I'm very much male, w/ simlar (if not identical) symptoms...starting this morning w/ a sore throat (more obvious when swallowing), then right ear pressure (sensitive to touch) and now the right side of my head all the way to the top is sore to touch; almost as though it was bruised (but it's not). Is this similar? And what's next?
  • Um...google "trigeminal neuralgia". I was just diagnosed with it. It is a pain nerve in your face called the trigeminal nerve that is being pinched by a blood vessel which subsequently shoots pain all over one side of the face or head. Sometimes it can feel like a migrane and sore throat. It might also have your teeth feeling like they are throbbing giving the illusion that it is a dental problem, but it is not.I was prescribed an anti-spasmatic medication all Tegretol and the pains went away.All the best.
  • Yup I now have the same thing. Sore feeling on the right side on my head right above my ear. Earache and right side of my throat is sore and feels like its draining. Actually took small sips of alcohol to try and disinfect my throat and it kinda worked.Been taking tylenol, aleve, vitamin pills, and sudafed. So far nothing really stops it. I feel woozy and dizzy a lot. Very strange stuff. Anyone have an idea for those of us who are still alive in here? :(
  • I get this pain about four times a year. I think it is neuralgia. Onset is usually some numbness over the lips (only on the right hand side in my case) and then the pain starts to spread, throat becomes sore then earache, pain behind the eyes and its sore to brush my hair - all this happens only on the right hand side of my face and head - strange ! paracetamol usually helps relieve the symptoms and then the pain starts to subside over a few days. By the way I am also female.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2009
    • 10:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am having this problem now. My teeth ache, My right ear did more yesterday and now the right side of my head aches. My scalp hurts too. I'll look up some of the info mentioned. I am also a female. Thanks!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 23, 2009
    • 06:59 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been getting soreness on one side of my head for several years. My symptoms are soreness one side of my scalp, often accompanied by pain in my ear, painful lesions in my mouth--usually the roof and same side as rest of soreness/pain. I sometimes also have the pain in my eye. For years it was undiagnosed and then last year a culture was taken of the lesion in my mouth (doctor thought it was oral herpes). It came back as oral shingles. The episodes usually coincide with stress, fatigue or are triggered by a combination of that and nuts (almonds, peanut butter, cashews--all of which I love!).Lyn
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2009
    • 03:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am having this problem now. My teeth ache, My right ear did more yesterday and now the right side of my head aches. My scalp hurts too. I'll look up some of the info mentioned. I am also a female. Thanks!!http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html Follow this link, there is some very informative information on pain, and how muscles can effect some of the areas.I have been suffering with throat pain and sharp stabbing to the top of my head with a very tender spot on my scalp. I put my pain down to the new Kayak I have bought, I am using muscles harder in areas not usually exercised.....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2010
    • 11:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I am male. It started 5 days ago, sore on the right side of my throat and in my right ear, nothing wrong with that. The different part is, most of the right side of my head feels like it is bruised. There has been no head injury, I did not bang my head, etc. The bruised head feeling came by itself and it is pretty sore. I am taking Advil to sleep.
  • I see that many women have the same type of the headache as me. I have it now for 4 days straight, especially in the morning the pain is unbearable. My left side is in pain, all my teeth on the left side, very sore throat (can barely swallow because of pain) and not to mention the entire left side of the head. Today I took 11 pills of ibuprofen, did not work I really hope someone will reply with some answer soon.your sinus cavities are just above the nerves of your teeth. if your sinuses are acting up it will cause your teeth to be sensitive and you will without even thinking clench your jaw. this will make all your tetyh hurt more and give you a headache. sinuses acting up will give you a headache as well.if sinus are acting up try this. stop blowing your nose and use lots of saline. you can make your own saline with water and salt. you can find the amount of mix online but i put less salt because the proper dose burns to much. most people have a deviated septum which partially blocks the passage in your nose. when you blow your nose most people either grab the bridge of their nose which blocks that passage way even more, or they hold one nostril closed which also blocks the passage way even more. so when you do this and then blow your nose the pressure reverts into your sinuses and ear canal. this will end up in sinus headaches and infections, teeth hurting because your sinuses are messed up. you can blow your nose but dont grab your nose or block any passage ways. it is awkward and you wont get much out but with plenty of saline itll be fine. i used to have sinus headaches almost every morning. after i was up for a few they went away either by thenselves or with pills. decongestants just dry your sinuses, not to mention costly. i am 5 weeks with no sinus headache whatsoever because i quit blowing my nose. who knows try it you have nothing to lose.
    burney 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a bit of a sore throat, around my tonsil I think, its associated with scalp sensitivty and a slight ear ache on just one side. What is this? I've heard this has something to do with cranial nerves or something. It seems there is some kind of small infection running through just the left side of my head, what and how? This happens once or twice a year. :eek:sounds like your sinuses are messed up. stop blowing your nose! most likely you have deviated septum and blowing your nose causes the pressure to go backwards. use saline to rinse your sinuses and only blow with your breath. do not grab your nose at the bridge and squeeze, do not hold one nostril closed as this blocks your passage ways even more. i suffered 20 years with headaches, teeth aches, clenching my jaw because my teeth hurt. i woke to an oncoming sinus headache most mornings and got relief from pills but thats not good. dont like tasking pills if its not necessary. i am 1 month free of any sort of headache simply because im using saline, and not blowing my nose. p.s...sometimes when i rubbed the hair on my head my scalped hurt. your sinuses are all over your head and face.
  • I am male. It started 5 days ago, sore on the right side of my throat and in my right ear, nothing wrong with that. The different part is, most of the right side of my head feels like it is bruised. There has been no head injury, I did not bang my head, etc. The bruised head feeling came by itself and it is pretty sore. I am taking Advil to sleep. its your sinuses acting up.
  • I have been getting the following symptoms about every 1-2 months now for the last year or so..First day, headache.Second day, sore throat on left side, earache (left ear) w/ random shooting pains in ear, left side of my face is extremely sensitive to touch, and the gums around my top left, last molar are sensitive- it hurts to brush my teeth/eat on that side.This time, I've been experiencing a jaw ache on my right side though.. and thats been going on for about a week and a half.(Not sure if that is associated with the left side issues though).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2010
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SINUS ARE ACTING UP...TRY A SALINE RINSE SEVERAL TIMES OVER A COURSE OF a week. ITS NOT GOOD TO BLOW YOUR NOSE BY PLUGGING ANY PARTT OF YOUR NASAL PASSAGES. MANY EITHER PLUG ONE SIDE OF NOSE..THEN BLOW..OR THEY GRAB THE BRIDGE OF THEIR NOSE. BLOCKING YOUR PASSAGE WAY WILL RESULT IN THE PRESSURE FROM BLOWING YOUR NOSE TO GO BACKWARDS INTO YOUR SINUS CAVITIES. YOU WILL FEEL PAIN/PRESSURE IN UPPER TEETH AS YOURE SINUS CAVITIES ARE JUST ABOVE YOUR TEETH NERVES. SOMETIMES YOUR SINUSES GET DRY AND THE CRAP IN YOUR NOSE JUST DOESNT MOVE FREELY. TRY A SALINE RINSE AND ALSO SNORT SOME SALINE. I PREFER THE BABY SALINE ITS MUCH MORE GENTLE THAN THE REGULAR STUFF. REGULAR STUFF BURNS AND WILL DISCOURAGE YOU FROM USING IT.ANOTHER PROBLEM COULD BE TENSION IS MAKING YOU CLENCH YOUR JAW THUS GIVING YOU A HEADACHE AND MAKING YOUR TEETH HURT. YOU COULD ALSO BE GRINDING YOUR TEETH AT NIGHT TIME BECAUSE OF TENSION.....TRY TO GET YOUR SPECIAL FRIEND TO GIVE YOU MASSAGES TO EASE THE TENSION. IT COULD BE SEVERAL THINGS BUT I HAVE A CAT BOX AND I HAVE A HOUSEKEEPING SERVICE....DUST AND LITTER DUST MESSES WITH MY SINUS OFTEN. I USE THE BABY SALINE FOR A FEW DAYS...MANY RINSES AND MANY SNORTS TO GET THINGS FLOWING AS THEY SHOULD. THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME. ALSO JUST A REGULAR SINUS HEADACHE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU TENSION HEADACHES, TEETHY GRINDING ETC. ANYWAYS HOPE I HELPED.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2010
    • 02:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I got a sore throat this morning on the left side of my throat. It has gotten unbearable to swallow and right now I am actually crying because it is so painful and swollen. It has spread up to my teeth, my left ear, and now even my left eye hurts. I have tried gargling saltwater, ibuprofen, robuttison, etc but nothing has worked so far. I now have a fever of 101 and my throat hurts so bad that I can't sleep. Is there a quick way to get rid of the pain?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 12, 2010
    • 05:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have this too and I have now had it about 4 times in the last couple of years. I'm thinking it's herpes zoster without the rash because the pain seems to be on one nerve pathway.Thoughts?
  • I get this quite a bit, and it's not sinuses. It is the Sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) in spasm. One visit to a physical therapist or chiropractor will give immediate relief. Of course, multiple visits and training will be the fixative. The SCM muscle is in your neck, but the pain is never in the muscle itself. It radiates to the scalp, back of the throat and close to the ear. It totally sucks. The neuralgia is often diagnosed because the spasmodic muscle puts pressure on the nerves.
    Mega19 1 Replies
    • February 8, 2012
    • 03:19 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement