Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Upper arm pain when reaching behind back

Posted In: Muscle conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 31, 2007
  • 10:00 PM

For the last few weeks I've been getting sharp pains in my upper left arm when putting on my shirt. It's only painful when I stretch my arm backwards - e.g. I'm unable to scratch the top of my back using my left arm. I have no idea where this originated - I just woke up one day and discovered it. My doctor says that it is probably muscular, with a nerve perhaps being impacted somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises or other home therapy which might help??

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• For the last few weeks I've been getting sharp pains in my upper left arm when putting on my shirt. It's only painful when I stretch my arm backwards - e.g. I'm unable to scratch the top of my back using my left arm. I have no idea where this originated - I just woke up one day and discovered it. My doctor says that it is probably muscular, with a nerve perhaps being impacted somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises or other home therapy which might help??have you ever figured out why this is happening? I have the same thing going on only with both arms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2008
    • 11:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It was diagnosed by a physio as frozen shoulder. I had several weeks of physiotherapy, none of which made any impact. I then tried acupuncture. The first session had no effect. After the 2nd session, during which electrodes were attached to the needles for 20 minutes, the problem disappeared virtually overnight.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 9, 2008
    • 07:21 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement