Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Itchy red bumps all over body? Hives?

Posted In: Skin conditions 868 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 12, 2006
  • 02:17 PM

Yesterday morning about 25 itchy red bumps popped up over my upper arms, torso. They look like hives or mosquito bites. But they itch like hives. I searched all over the bedroom...changed all sheets... no bugs of any sort and hubby has nothing. Looks like an alergic reaction but my question is can this be hives and just are staying with me? Seems they appear in clusters on my chest, upper back and upper arm. Thought they may be fleas (we have two dogs) but we checked each thoroughly and they are on flea medications.

I was at a BBQ Saturday evening but it is strange that I am the only one with these if they are bites of some bug. What the strangest thing is that on my right chest, there are 5 of these bumps in a curved line spread about 1/2 inch apart. I have no other symptoms.

Any guesses? Today they are less itchy than yesterday.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • Have you found out what was causing the bumps? I have the exact same thing, and I also checked for fleas (2 cats, one of them a new kitten I just brought home), bedbugs, spiders and I couldn't find anything. They started 1 week ago as small red bumps on my chest and stomach. Now they are larger raised bumps that have spread to my butt, arms and legs. It must be a reaction to something, because my boyfriend doesn't have any bumps at all.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2006
    • 00:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I might have the same thing.. No pets... near armpits, all over stomach, arms, back, legs, starting on face... I haven't changed soaps/detergents, etc... I have no idea what it is.. I can't find anything online, and the only thing that I came close to thinking it was was Shingles.. But I don't follow any of the criteria, the pics just look like what I have....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2006
    • 11:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you looked on the internet for epidermolysis bullasa acquisita? My sister had almost what you describe to start but the bumps eventully turned to small blisters. Itching was terrible ,and the ointments did'nt help. Now the doctor has her on predisone and its starting to clear up and itching has almost gone away.There are several types of EBA. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2006
    • 00:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have the same type of bumps and when i called my sister, she said that she too ha the same type of bumps, on her arms and legs, my supervisor's daughter has the same thing she says she only gets them when she is in bed, they itch like ***l simular to chicken pox, if anyone has a answer as to what the ***l this is please notify me ASAP!! i'm really getting worried.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 15, 2006
    • 09:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I got the same thing, itchy bumps all over back, middle to upper arms. When I itch it feels good, however, after itching there is some stinging sensation. It happened right after I got my haircut (fantastic sams, ca)?? Has anyone seen a doctor for this or have any idea how this "irritation" came about?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 29, 2006
    • 07:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had itchy red bumps and red patches with bumps. The Dr. gave me steroids that did not help at all. Since I felt it must be something I was eating, I went on a diet that eliminated foods with known allergens. After about 3 weeks, the blisters and redness were mostly gone. I am now on a gluten free diet with no more bumps or itching- other positive side effects are no more hayfever, extra energy and reduced anxziety! Try a search on Dermatitis Herpetiformis and see what you think.Good Luck!
    Food Allergies 7 Replies
    • November 1, 2006
    • 06:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I started to get these bumps about 3 days ago... At first I though that it was from an allergic reaction to the mtale that I was grinding down on a milling machine. But after doing some research it appears to be scabies... I am going to the doctor to find out... And in reality I hope that it is that and not something else really bad.I am going to try a self help measure first....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 10:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My daughter got the same thing the other day and this is like the 3rd time she's gotten them. I have them as well. They itch like CRAZY and they seem to be spreading. While I was looking on-line, I got 4 more on my upper stomach below my bra. Seriously, this is just wierd. There are no bugs ANYWHERE. I've bleached everything and my husband doesn't have any. Neither do my boys. If anybody finds out what is going on. I seriously would like to know! I'd HATE to go to the Dr's for "bug bites" but this is getting wierd!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 04:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had these too, how odd is that??!!.....A few days ago I had these & thought they may have been a result of using my son's baby wipes because I was sensitive to them, as I came out in blotches over my face after using them, so I stopped!....anyway, I know I have sensitive skin & I am allergic to penicillin so have experienced this before as part of my reaction, it was definately hives (urticaria) & they progressed into patchy areas as opposed to spot-like looking things, they were very aggressive & annoying but appear to have vanished after 3 days of eing affected & to note also that I had these at night only, a few hours before bed, in the heated parts of my body, suchas under bra, arms, top of thighs, lower abdomen & even the scalp. Just to mention that someone thought they may have been scabies, from past experience as a child, I know that scabies normally affects the hands, in between the fingers moreso, so if you don't have that problem it is porbably something else & mine didn't turn into scabs either which is what you would expect with scabies. Also with scabies, they don't dissappear on their own, they may fade but usually need treatment to clear the problem properly & altogether. right think I am just about done with this essay..lol
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 05:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dermatitis_herpeti.htmlIf there are ANY digestive problems associated with this, I would go see an allergen about a possible food allergy/intolerence immediately. It can put you at serious risk for a lot of other conditions, and it was actually the skin related symptoms that got my attention first!
    Azaral 152 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 05:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • well i have what everyone is talking about and i have had it for over a year now i have seen three diffrent docs and have been tested for lots of stuff and nothing seems to be coming back positive. one doc told me to take an H1 and H2 blocker so EVERYDAY take on allergy pill H1 and a zantec H2 and drink lots of water and that seems to help a bit. its strange i was having the worst time with it before i got pregnant and the whole time i was pregnant i never had a breakout. as soon as i had her the breakouts started up again.and i drank alot of water during the pregnancy and not as much now. but when i drink alot of water the hives go awaybilly girl
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 10:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I've been experiencing the same thing. With me they only seem to come a few at a time... the last time I had it they were all over my right leg, this time around i have them in what seems to be a cluster on my lower stomach and arms and legs. They are driving me nuts!! the ones on my stomach are the worst, they almost seemed to have welted out are red-er than the other ones. I'm going into see my doctor tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some answers. How long did it take for yours to clear up? and did they scar? the ones that i had on my leg last time scarred a little bit even tho I didnt scartch them to the point they bleed.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 05:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same thing but I got them the day after having sex. My partner didnt have anything but a friend of mine said that if you can easily get scabies by exchanging sweat... which I did ALOT of. Im heading to the Rx to get some lotion. Ill see how it works.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2006
    • 04:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have them now, but I've had them before. Unfortunitely it's almost always a reaction to something. Water usually doesn't help and some soap sets them off. Word of advice, if you started using new lotion...stop...that's it.Ug this sucks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 09:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i too have this same thing and that is why i ended up here, after furiously searching everywhere for someone that might understand what I am talking about. These bumps start out like a flea or mosquito bite, they have moved from my lower back to ribs, armpits, thighs, stomache and I itch like crazy, then the bite seems to get smaller after scratching the heck out of it , then it is more like a rash then it is dry and then goes away. I went to the doctor after suffering for amonth and at first he said it was stress, then 2 more weeks went by and i went ot the emergency room, at first she said eczema then scabies, yet i only had 2 spots on wrist, the worst was everywhere else and i have extremely dry skin. i used the scabies medicine they prescribed and it is still happening. Then back to the doc and he did not think the hospital was right and here i am still scratching. Help
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2007
    • 01:50 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ive read the whole thread and I have the same bug bite like symptoms. Seems that no one has found actaul bugs in there bed, can anyone confirm? Has anyone ever found that it actually IS Fleas or Spiders? I just dont know how to treat myself, I could swear they look and itch like bites! But my husband and daughter dont have a mark on them, and this has been going on for 2 weeks. New bumps daily on abdomen and hips
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 06:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is a reply to the unregistered user post dated 1/11/2007. Have the doctors mentioned pityriasis rosea? I had this condition a couple of years ago and it lasted for around 3 mos. The bumps typically follow a "christmas tree" like pattern meaning that they spread out a bit on the torso (front and back) and may be found on the upper thighs and upper arms. They may have a reddish or brownish color in the middle of them depending on your skin tone and after a while they flaten out and become more like a rash. It goes away on its own, and the itch may be treated with ointment. Sunlight is thought to help as well. The internet has a lot of info on the topic. I hope this helps!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 07:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had this a couple times before, and I have it again now, and thought maybe I'd find something on the Internet. When I first got it, 13 years ago, it seemed like maybe it was scabies. But I was treated for scabies under a doctor's care and nothing changed (plus, pictures of scabies look much worse than this, in my case anyway). It seemed semi-contagious, because my girlfriend had it first (a couple years before I met her), and a friend of hers had had it, and it was so mysterious, they just called it THE RASH. I've been to dermatologists, had it biopsied, been to naturopaths, homeopaths, and regular ol' MDs, and NOBODY has every come up with a diagnosis or solution. It starts out (for me) as a couple of harmless-seeming, tiny, clear-ish blisters on my arm somewhere. I scratch, and they pop (yuck), and turn red, and at first I always think it's poison ivy. But these are TINY pustules, whereas poison ivy is usually much bigger and nastier. This spreads gradually, for me, over a few days to the rest of my arms, stomach, back, neck, and a few scattered over my legs. I don't think I've ever had it on my face, hands, or bottom of feet, or in my mouth. I do think I've had a few on my scalp. For the most part, they are wide spread and scattered, as opposed to clumping or crowding together. Each individual blister heals within a day or two for me, but new ones constantly appear, so...In the end, I've found nothing helps it much, and it goes away on its own after a few weeks...or maybe even a couple months. It's not as severly itchy as some other rashes I've had, but it sure is annoying and can keep me awake at night!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this for a while now. I thought it was just me. My kids and wife dont have it. Everything sounds the same has you guys describe. Whe I scratch them they burn and bleed for a while and then they leave a scalp. then a dark mark after they leave. More and more keep coming. I'm glad I'm not the only one. thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 21, 2007
    • 07:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Over a weeks time I have had hundreds of tiny itchy bumps all over my back, legs, belly, and waist. I went to my doctor this morning and he said it looks like scabies. I don't believe him and it is a good thing. I got in the tub and took a cold bath(my mom's advice). When I got out. I noticed it wasn't just bumps. I have a huge rash all over. The only thing I can think of is I have changed laundry detergents and I think I may be allergic to it. My doctor said scabies usually attack the webbing of your fingers and the area around your nipples I don't have either of those places itching. I recently bought a couple new bras and haven't had the time to wash them. Hence not having the rash there. I think I'm going to call my doctor's office tomorrow morning and ask for a stronger alternative for benadryl and change my detergent back to the normal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement