Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

urine with a strange odor

Posted In: Urinary conditions 69 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 12, 2006
  • 06:48 AM

With regards to protein in the urine, I am not quite sure if this is my problem but I was wondering with this condition is there an odor associated with it?

I have noticed that when I urinate, there is an odor and the urine is yellow but cloudy. The odor smells like rotten eggs. It really makes me very selfconscious considering the fact that I am a clean person. I have started drinking Cranbury juice and I drink at least 3 glasses of water each day.

Does anybody have any answers?
Thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion

69 Replies:

• I have the same problem in a way, but there's a little more to mine. I have started having trouble urinating. It's as though I'm not voiding all of it, but retaining some. The smell though.... I have the same smell. It didn't start until about a month or so ago. And the retention (if that's what it is.) just started about a week ago. I, however, am pregnant. And on my next doctor's visit, will be questioning her about this. So hopefully whatever she tells me will be of some help to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 16, 2006
    • 08:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same problem in a way, but there's a little more to mine. I have started having trouble urinating. It's as though I'm not voiding all of it, but retaining some. The smell though.... I have the same smell. It didn't start until about a month or so ago. And the retention (if that's what it is.) just started about a week ago. I, however, am pregnant. And on my next doctor's visit, will be questioning her about this. So hopefully whatever she tells me will be of some help to you.my problem is that mine smells metallic
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2006
    • 10:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have just been to my docs with the same problem of my urine having an eggy smell and also a funny feeling when I wee and he has sent me for a blood test to rule out an infection and I have also sent off a sample of my urine to see if there is any bacteria in it.He has give me antibiotics to take - 3 a day- for 2 weeks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 19, 2006
    • 06:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had the same problem for atleast a month now off and on. Really strong smelling urine, like sulphur or rotten eggs, and sometimes when it gets bad, I get the need to urinate frequently. I've had bladder infections before, so as soon as I noticed it, I started drinking more water and also alot of Cranberry Juice, (excellent for bladder conditions). It helped a bit but then the problem came back. I went to the doctor, they tested my urine and said there were no signs of infection and he said if I have no other symptoms like burning or pain that it most likely isn't an infection. He offered no other theories. So I went back to Cranberry juice, it helped again but the problem keeps coming back. The smell is really gross and embarrassing. I noticed that if I keep drinking the cranberry juice and lots of water and make sure to urinate ALOT, (even if I don't feel like it) the symptoms go away, but if I go a day without drinking or urinating alot, it comes right back.AARRGGHHHH! any help or advice? Does any of this indicate any serious problems???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • More then likely it an UTI, so that's what i'm told by my doctor. I have them all the time by the way i will be going to the doctor again tommorrow? But my question is why it keep happening.
  • Hello to all, I also suffered from Urinary problem, until I went to a Urology Hospital for a treatment and since I finished my treatment there, I haven't noticed anything which may makes me think that it came back again. (Advertising material removed - moderator)
    Shania15 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also have a VERY strong odor to my urine. However, I cannot explain the smell. All I know is it is FOUL. I am so embarrassed to go at work and can't hardly stand the smell myself. It does not smell like any food, not even like a really heavy urine smell. It's more like a chemical if I had to describe it. Have had this off and on for about a year. This time it has been pretty consistent for a few weeks now, almost every time I urinate. The urine is medium yellow and cloudy. I drink plenty of water and it has nothing to do with what I eat. I do not have Diabetes, all urine tests and cultures come back negative (several times now), no STD's, no pain during urination I just have to go a bit more often at night, and all other regular blood tests come back normal. The other wierd thing is that this same smell comes out in my sweat occasionally as well. I have never been much of a sweater and it never really smelled (not even the traditional musty smell). I can't find any real info about this except for on this forum and another one similar to it. What the heck is going on??? I really wish there was some answers. I wonder if there is something that the doctors are not catching in us.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2007
    • 05:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really strange. I too just went to the doctor today because I've been having some type of urinary problems. Last week my urine had a very strong odor....like boiled eggs or sulphur. Then I had a fever, aching all over...and got a bad cold....may not have had anything to do with the urine or maybe something has weakened my immune system allowing me to get a cold on top of the urine The odor subsided and I still went to the doctor who said there was really no sign of infection....but I'm still having trouble. I wish there was a doctor on this site that could point us all in some direction.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2007
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have noticed over the last week that my urine appears somewhat cloudy and kind of has a funny smell to it I think. I was looking on the internet for some answers to my questions and came accross your posting. When I read about having "strong-smelling sweat", I remembered this documentary I saw on TV about a year ago... It is about a genetic disorder called "trimethylaminuria" in which there is an enzyme able of degrading certain compounds that is missing, which results in a fishy odour. Here is the wikipedia reference:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrimethylaminuriaLet me know if this helps you at allDB
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2007
    • 04:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • wow so much stuff is wrong with people it aint even funny
    bigfred31 6 Replies
    • January 10, 2008
    • 08:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've noticed this odd smell as well. I've noted a few things lately in my life that might have caused this. Over the past few months my fitness has increased a lot. As a persons fitness increases and you generate more muscle (or burn more fat) the body's need for water increases and the chance of dehydration increases. Dehydration can offset normal urinary activity. Also my diet has changed quite drastically. I've been eating healthy and natural food sources and have noticed some specifics foods change the appear and smell of urine. Specifically I've noticed this change from eating a lot of beats, radishes and asparagus, all of which seem to either change my urines consistancy, colour and/or smell. There are some serious illnesses that can affect the urinary system as well but often these conditions can be determined by your physician through testing. An obvious possible cause of an odd smell to someones urine would be a Urinary Tract Infection, but this is usually often associated with irregular urinary activites and often requires medication (antibiotics for the most part).I will be visiting a physician to ensure I am taking all the right steps to correct this odor but for now staying hydrated, drinking cranberry juice, controlling my diet and monitoring my urinary activities are the best steps I can take to try and get rid of this odd smell.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My urine smells really awful...i cant describe it though. i want to say musty smelling but i dont even know that it totally is musty...could be almost chemically too! I'm gettin pains which are almost period pains too. i've had a very slight cold...i want to know whats wrong with me! im only 19! i haven't been to the doctors yet but if it carries on i will be i think! anyone got any suggestions before i go? even better if u are a doctor and can reply! it takes ages at my doctors to get an appointment so i try not to go unless i feel really really bad.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 21, 2008
    • 03:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • On an online search for "urine disorders and rotten egg smell," I came across this:"Cystinuria is an inherited, metabolic disorder. It is characterized by the accumulation of cystine crystals (uroliths, caculi or stones) in the kidneys, ureter and bladder. People with cystinuria cannot properly reabsorb cystine into their bloodstream during the filtering process in the kidneys. Cystine is a amino acid, a building block of proteins. Most of the time, this excess cystine is simply excreted in the urine. But in some cases the cystine cannot stay dissolved and forms crystals. Because cystine is one of the sulfur-containing amino acids, the urine may have a characteristic 'rotten egg' odor." I can't be exactly sure that this is it, but I've been dealing with the "rotten egg problem" in different ways for years now. I have not yet been tested for this, but I've been tested for a whole host of other explanations (UTI, diabetes, yeast infection, etc) that all came up short. As far as other symptoms go for me, at various times in the past, I have had flank pain and frequent urination. I think I have a relative who dealt with stones at one time or another so it may run in my family. You all should check to see if it runs in yours.I have read that although it is impossible to eliminate cystine from your body completely (because the body will produce cystine by itself if levels are low), one way to reduce it is to limit foods that raise the acidity (or lower the pH) of the urine. This category of food mainly includes meat, and those that eat a lot of meat tend to have more symptoms. I eat meat almost twice a day in various forms, and that's too much for even a normal person, so I think I'm going to try cutting back and see if that changes anything. If it does, there's a good probability I may have this disorder.Note: If you are dealing with a different kind of smell, you should still check out that webpage because there are a whole host of other disorders on there with different smells for each one.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 06:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • you saved my life. i have been trying to figure out what i have for like 2 years and doctors at my student health center couldn't figure out why it smelled and i had no uti!!!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 8, 2008
    • 09:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Recently moved to AZ and this pungent "musty" smell when urinating and cloudy deep yellow - I was told I am dehydrated - I have visions of everything inside drying up and thus the smell - this is continuous - I take vitamins - have no UTI. However, last year did have a UTI, but this smell has started within the last year. Embarrassing to say the least - thank God for Glade.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2008
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I also have a VERY strong odor to my urine. However, I cannot explain the smell. All I know is it is FOUL. I am so embarrassed to go at work and can't hardly stand the smell myself. It does not smell like any food, not even like a really heavy urine smell. It's more like a chemical if I had to describe it. Have had this off and on for about a year. This time it has been pretty consistent for a few weeks now, almost every time I urinate. The urine is medium yellow and cloudy. I drink plenty of water and it has nothing to do with what I eat. I do not have Diabetes, all urine tests and cultures come back negative (several times now), no STD's, no pain during urination I just have to go a bit more often at night, and all other regular blood tests come back normal. The other wierd thing is that this same smell comes out in my sweat occasionally as well. I have never been much of a sweater and it never really smelled (not even the traditional musty smell). I can't find any real info about this except for on this forum and another one similar to it. What the heck is going on??? I really wish there was some answers. I wonder if there is something that the doctors are not catching in us.Ok!!!... now where to begin... i have 2 children with this sort of disorder, it is hard to diagnose, it might be fish odour syndrome, however it does not always smell fishy. My son who is 14 has bad breath and foul smelling unine, where as my daughter who is 20 has a smell of stail B.O even as she comes out of the shower and bad skin (shame as she is so beautiful) but her urine is not to bad. there are several types of this disorder and it might be worth getting checked for it. this is something you will have to live with if it is Fish odour syndrome, it usually comes out of the blue with a massive hormone change..... good luck. PH
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2009
    • 01:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have this problem. i have an odor when i pee, thats very hard to explain, kind of like a burning kind of smell, oddly when i look up symptoms for a uti or yeast infection, i have non of the symptoms. when i urinate it feels like im trying to refrain from doing so.. its very weird. doctors say theres nothing wrong.. i want an answer already.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2009
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • female-17.OH MY GOD.i cant beleive there is this much people suffering from the same thing i am.when i went to the dr he thought i was dramatizing & that its just me not drinking enough water. i tried to explain that it didnt smell like urea AT ALL .it smelled like something rotten, like a chmical or pesticide. something you use to kill.seriously.i freaked out at first. the way it elevated suddenly like toxic fumes.i waited it pout for a week. the day i went to the dr, it STOPPED.the urine test they took wasnt stinchy.about a month later, the same thing happened. i ignored since everyone around me wouldnt believe me.&& now, its back again. this time though, it took a while..could it be some new thing going around?that drs dont know about yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 18, 2009
    • 02:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am stunned I've found this. I've been searching everywhere to find out I'm not alone in this!!!It's horrible! I'm so sick of it. It all got kicked off when I had cystitis twice in a couple of weeks. I too feel like when I pee it doesn't all come out properly I have to pee, sit, relax and let the rest come out. Before, my bladder would tell me when it needed to pee and off I would go...now it seems to just want to go every two hours. Not desperately..and I can tell I'm not even full to go but it just wants to follow this weird routine it's set itself. If I hold it in too long (like once I did on a really long drive) the odour starts, that weird, musty, rotten...smells like I've been eating asparagus but I haven't sort of smell. It also seems to react with alcohol, if I drink that the smell goes crazy.Funnily enough, the day after a night out, the symptoms seems to subside. It also stings but ever so slightly...that stinging seems to have started dying away now after three months of having this. I've had an ultrasound scan on my urinary system, and I'm bullying my doctor into getting me to see a urologyst and a gynaecologyst (I'm wondering if an irritation in my vagina is affecting my bladder?) failing everything I'm going to go for acupuncture - I dont care if it's a placebo...they can't find anything, it can't be treated by medecine, maybe my brain has to be tricked into doing the rest! hmph! xGood luck everyone!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2009
    • 06:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • since it sounds like you are retaining some urine even after you are done peeing, you may have a UTI. drink plent of water, cranberry juice. aslo ask about detrol to relax the muscles so you don't have the urge to go when you don't feel full
    AprilRN 27 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 06:48 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement