Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

non healing incision

Posted In: Medical Stories 6 Replies
  • Posted By: bnb008
  • July 28, 2007
  • 05:18 PM

Hi....I've got a pretty long story, but plese read it and i would really appreciate ANY help.I am currently a 19 year old female, junior at Sam Houston State. September 2005 I went to my normal doctor for a very small spot right above my tailbone. About once every other month the spot would act like a pimple and pop. My doctor diagnosed me with a pylonidal cyst. He said I needed it removed IMMEDIATELY. Within a week i was in the operating room and had a surgery that that consisted of an incision that went from the cyst directly down the center of the butt crack down to the rectum. He put about 8 stitches to sew me back up and I thought it was all over. That was just the beginning. After he took the stitches out, within a week the incision would gooze a drainage and some blood. So in December 2005 I went back and he did a second operation in the EXACT same place along the same scar. This time he put dissolvable stitches on the inside and regular stitches on the outside and left them longer than before. I went back and got them removed when it was time, thinking surely this was it. But no, not even close. Again the "healing" incision would gooze drainage and blood. A new hole or tunnel developed along with a deep open wound. The surgeon had me get "packed" 7 days a week. That means i had to drive 20 minutes to town for a lady to shove a really long strip of gauze into the hole below my tailbone, which hurt everyday that they did it. I had to do this, attend high school and work. I missed basketball games, and had to quit my athletic life so this would heal. Well it didnt. By August 2006 I moved an hour and a half south of my home town to attend college and was switched to a new and more experienced surgeon in hopes of a miracle. I also had to find a wound care center in Huntsville to pack my wound everyday and on weekends. THat meant, no road trips or going out of town for more than a few hours. A third surgery was performed on me by this new doctor and he "re-excised" it and left it completely open to heal from the inside out. I had to buy really loose jogging pants to wear to class in order to prevent the seeing of all the bandages while this wound was suppose to be healing. After a week or so, the wound care center suggested putting me on the wound vac. THey told me how good it was and that I would be healed in no time. I wore this machine 24/7. It would make noises during classes and i would get funny looks and one teacher was not to happy with it. After 2 weeks they took it off and the wound had shrunk tremendously, but they still went back to packing it "the rest of the way". Healing would get close and then a tunnel wound form again under the skin. I always have to wear a pantiliner on the back of my underwear to keep blood and gooze from seeping through my clothes. It has been 1 year and 10 months since my first surgery of just removing a 2 cm wide painless cyst from my back. Since then I have had 6 surgeries and have to have my boyfriend back the wound everyday, because the wound care center shut down for some reason. There are definately more small details to the other surgeries and such, but there is no way i can tell them all unless i write a book. I am just wondering if there is any room for a malpractice case at hand, because of the surgeons cutting in this crevice of my body not knowing if they can fix what they broke or not. The surgeon I am with now, tells me everytime i go to him, that he jsut does not know what to do. Through all of these surgeries they have put me on so many antibiotics that i cant count on one hand. They have tried everything from numerouse surgeries, a machine, tons of creams, and even had my recent surgeon tape my buttcheeks together in hopes of that helping. THe wound is at a stand still and nobody knows waht to do. Isn't it wrong for there have been an incision cut down my buttcrack, just to avoid a big scar, that now becuase it is there, will not heal? Shouldn't he have cut in a different way? After 6 surgeries, I should have been healed after the first one. THere are numerous people that had pylonidal cysts alot bigger than mine and they got it removed and were healed in one surgery. Now i am in pain everyday and in worry everyday, that i am never going to heal and I am scared I am not going to be able to have kids naturally. I currently can't sit normally. I have to sit on the side of my buttcheek and on my hip. I cannot lay on my back whatsoever. THis has been this way for almost two years. I will turn 20 in September and I have not got to experience college life as I should because of this. I have cut out everything I was born to do. I no longer ride horse, run, play basketball, or swim. I graduate December 08. My college career, so far, consists of studying and doctors.My mom is currenty looking for a plastic surgeon, becasue that is what my general surgeon said to do. She has talked to one nurse and the nurse told her, since I have already had surgeries on my butt, that a plastic surgeon will not go over previous operation location. Please, if anybody has any advice, let me know. I would greatly appreciate it....anything will do..malpractice case? healing anwers? doctors that seen this before? anything Thanks so much for your time

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

• HI bnbJust a quick suggestion which you can probably research yourself. Have you ever heard of aloe vera poultices? pure aloe vera pulp or juice has been used to heal otherwise confounding wounds as it acts on a deep level of tissue regeneration - I'm not sure of the exact science about it but I know there have been countless studies and case histories about it. It's healed leg ulcers in a couple of weeks that hospitals had tried years to cure with various antibiotics or even maggot poultices - yeah, you heard me - maggots! I've seen before and after pictures and the healing is remarkable.One company that deals exclusively with aloe vera is Forever Living Products (http://www.foreverliving.com/ ). I'd suggest doing this treatment in conjunction with a holistic healer/naturopath/kinesiologist (it's not all about crystals and angels) or there are an increasing number of GP's who are re-discovering the 'nature knew best all along' type of healing. Sometimes antibiotics etc. aren't the best for healing. Though they do help one aspect of healing, there can be a tendency to dampen down the rest of the bodies natural abilities to heal and defend itself, so antibiotics can sometimes be a bit self defeating in that respect. Another aspect would be to look at your diet. Are you missing any important vitamins or minerals from your diet? The two main culprits for slow healing are a lack of Vit C and Zinc. Hope some of this helps you or at least gives you another avenue or two to look downGood luck!Junocookie
    junocookie 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Check for diabetes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2009
    • 08:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi....I've got a pretty long story, but plese read it and i would really appreciate ANY help.I am currently a 19 year old female, junior at Sam Houston State. September 2005 I went to my normal doctor for a very small spot right above my tailbone. About once every other month the spot would act like a pimple and pop. My doctor diagnosed me with a pylonidal cyst. He said I needed it removed IMMEDIATELY. Within a week i was in the operating room and had a surgery that that consisted of an incision that went from the cyst directly down the center of the butt crack down to the rectum. He put about 8 stitches to sew me back up and I thought it was all over. That was just the beginning. After he took the stitches out, within a week the incision would gooze a drainage and some blood. So in December 2005 I went back and he did a second operation in the EXACT same place along the same scar. This time he put dissolvable stitches on the inside and regular stitches on the outside and left them longer than before. I went back and got them removed when it was time, thinking surely this was it. But no, not even close. Again the "healing" incision would gooze drainage and blood. A new hole or tunnel developed along with a deep open wound. The surgeon had me get "packed" 7 days a week. That means i had to drive 20 minutes to town for a lady to shove a really long strip of gauze into the hole below my tailbone, which hurt everyday that they did it. I had to do this, attend high school and work. I missed basketball games, and had to quit my athletic life so this would heal. Well it didnt. By August 2006 I moved an hour and a half south of my home town to attend college and was switched to a new and more experienced surgeon in hopes of a miracle. I also had to find a wound care center in Huntsville to pack my wound everyday and on weekends. THat meant, no road trips or going out of town for more than a few hours. A third surgery was performed on me by this new doctor and he "re-excised" it and left it completely open to heal from the inside out. I had to buy really loose jogging pants to wear to class in order to prevent the seeing of all the bandages while this wound was suppose to be healing. After a week or so, the wound care center suggested putting me on the wound vac. THey told me how good it was and that I would be healed in no time. I wore this machine 24/7. It would make noises during classes and i would get funny looks and one teacher was not to happy with it. After 2 weeks they took it off and the wound had shrunk tremendously, but they still went back to packing it "the rest of the way". Healing would get close and then a tunnel wound form again under the skin. I always have to wear a pantiliner on the back of my underwear to keep blood and gooze from seeping through my clothes. It has been 1 year and 10 months since my first surgery of just removing a 2 cm wide painless cyst from my back. Since then I have had 6 surgeries and have to have my boyfriend back the wound everyday, because the wound care center shut down for some reason. There are definately more small details to the other surgeries and such, but there is no way i can tell them all unless i write a book. I am just wondering if there is any room for a malpractice case at hand, because of the surgeons cutting in this crevice of my body not knowing if they can fix what they broke or not. The surgeon I am with now, tells me everytime i go to him, that he jsut does not know what to do. Through all of these surgeries they have put me on so many antibiotics that i cant count on one hand. They have tried everything from numerouse surgeries, a machine, tons of creams, and even had my recent surgeon tape my buttcheeks together in hopes of that helping. THe wound is at a stand still and nobody knows waht to do. Isn't it wrong for there have been an incision cut down my buttcrack, just to avoid a big scar, that now becuase it is there, will not heal? Shouldn't he have cut in a different way? After 6 surgeries, I should have been healed after the first one. THere are numerous people that had pylonidal cysts alot bigger than mine and they got it removed and were healed in one surgery. Now i am in pain everyday and in worry everyday, that i am never going to heal and I am scared I am not going to be able to have kids naturally. I currently can't sit normally. I have to sit on the side of my buttcheek and on my hip. I cannot lay on my back whatsoever. THis has been this way for almost two years. I will turn 20 in September and I have not got to experience college life as I should because of this. I have cut out everything I was born to do. I no longer ride horse, run, play basketball, or swim. I graduate December 08. My college career, so far, consists of studying and doctors.My mom is currenty looking for a plastic surgeon, becasue that is what my general surgeon said to do. She has talked to one nurse and the nurse told her, since I have already had surgeries on my butt, that a plastic surgeon will not go over previous operation location. Please, if anybody has any advice, let me know. I would greatly appreciate it....anything will do..malpractice case? healing anwers? doctors that seen this before? anything Thanks so much for your time There are a whole host of nutriant deficiencies that coul prevent normal healing. http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=137403&posted=1#post137403 Come on over and check out our full symptoms list and let's talk about nutrition.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • January 8, 2009
    • 07:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • BNB008---- Your story is my story to the tee. I am a 21 year old female. My mom found this online and is actually scared me reading it. I was first diagnosed with the pilonydial cyst in the summer of 2007 (july). i have had 4 surgeries and i have also worn the wound vac, i had to have an in house nurse come to my house every other day to change the bandages. i am now seeing my 2nd surgeon. my 2nd surgeon also tried the stitiching on the inside and outside. slowly it became separated. i now see her every other day for "silver nitrate" in hopes to stimiulate cell growth as well as the granulation tissue. i cry thinking there is no hope..and why are we paying these doctors so much money if they dont know what to do. i sleep with a pillow to prop my side up. at work i sit on one buttcheek. i change my bandages, about 5 times a day. i am also using the panty liners. its hard to get dressed in the morning for work because i always have to think of things that wont be tight on that area. i have become a fan of leggings. i am not able to do any excercising, trips..my life has pretty much been on hold for almost 2years. all my vitamins in my blood have been checked, and nothing physically that we know should be holding me back from healing. This morning I went to see my doctor i was put on an antibiotic once again, and monday we are trying this new prescription that is used for diabetics, and healing of ulcers. it is a gel, that i will bring to her office that she will apply to the open areas. it is not a common drug. i found some information on it this morning, maybe you could suggest this. or read over what it is all about. i would be happy to stay in contact with you so we can see what is working for both of us, and maybe even make suggestions. we might turn out to be smarter than the doctors!! here is the website of the new medication that i will be trying on monday. http://www.medicinenet.com/becaplermin/article.htm here is my email address libra87619@cs.com. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE IT! I feel so relieved to actually have another person out there that understands my pain
    sbhs0687 2 Replies
    • February 6, 2009
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your story is my story to the tee. I am a 21 year old female. My mom found this online and is actually scared me reading it. I was first diagnosed with the pilonydial cyst in the summer of 2007 (july). i have had 4 surgeries and i have also worn the wound vac, i had to have an in house nurse come to my house every other day to change the bandages. i am now seeing my 2nd surgeon. my 2nd surgeon also tried the stitiching on the inside and outside. slowly it became separated. i now see her every other day for "silver nitrate" in hopes to stimiulate cell growth as well as the granulation tissue. i cry thinking there is no hope..and why are we paying these doctors so much money if they dont know what to do. i sleep with a pillow to prop my side up. at work i sit on one buttcheek. i change my bandages, about 5 times a day. i am also using the panty liners. its hard to get dressed in the morning for work because i always have to think of things that wont be tight on that area. i have become a fan of leggings. i am not able to do any excercising, trips..my life has pretty much been on hold for almost 2years. all my vitamins in my blood have been checked, and nothing physically that we know should be holding me back. This morning I went to see my doctor i was put on an antibiotic once again, and monday we are trying this new prescription that is used to diabetics, and healing of ulcers. it is a gel, that i will bring to her office that she will apply to the open areas. it is not a common drug. i found some information on it this morning, maybe you could suggest this. or read over what it is all about. i would be happy to stay in contact with you so we can see what is working for both of us, and maybe even make suggestions. we might turn out to be smarter than the doctors!! here is the website of the new medication that i will be trying on monday. http://www.medicinenet.com/becaplermin/article.htm here is my email address libra87619@cs.com. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE IT! I feel so relieved to actually have another person out there that understands my pain
    sbhs0687 2 Replies
    • February 6, 2009
    • 05:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your story is my story to the tee. I am a 21 year old female. My mom found this online and is actually scared me reading it. I was first diagnosed with the pilonydial cyst in the summer of 2007 (july). i have had 4 surgeries and i have also worn the wound vac, i had to have an in house nurse come to my house every other day to change the bandages. i am now seeing my 2nd surgeon. my 2nd surgeon also tried the stitiching on the inside and outside. slowly it became separated. i now see her every other day for "silver nitrate" in hopes to stimiulate cell growth as well as the granulation tissue. i cry thinking there is no hope..and why are we paying these doctors so much money if they dont know what to do. i sleep with a pillow to prop my side up. at work i sit on one buttcheek. i change my bandages, about 5 times a day. i am also using the panty liners. its hard to get dressed in the morning for work because i always have to think of things that wont be tight on that area. i have become a fan of leggings. i am not able to do any excercising, trips..my life has pretty much been on hold for almost 2years. all my vitamins in my blood have been checked, and nothing physically that we know should be holding me back. This morning I went to see my doctor i was put on an antibiotic once again, and monday we are trying this new prescription that is used to diabetics, and healing of ulcers. it is a gel, that i will bring to her office that she will apply to the open areas. it is not a common drug. i found some information on it this morning, maybe you could suggest this. or read over what it is all about. i would be happy to stay in contact with you so we can see what is working for both of us, and maybe even make suggestions. we might turn out to be smarter than the doctors!! here is the website of the new medication that i will be trying on monday. http://www.medicinenet.com/becaplermin/article.htm here is my email address libra87619@cs.com. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO USE IT! I feel so relieved to actually have another person out there that understands my painJust wondering if either of you have healed yet. I am a physical therapist who is wound care certified, and the recurrence of your wounds would make me question osteomyelitis, infection of the bone. That's what frequently happens with "osteo;" they heal or almost heal, and then the wound opens up again. Feel free to e-mail me at Mehoop2@ptd.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2009
    • 00:22 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement