Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Severe left foot/ankle swelling, left arm numbness

Posted In: Medical Errors 11 Replies
  • Posted By: opdykeboyz
  • July 27, 2007
  • 05:22 AM

I've been experiencing left arm numbness, very distinct sensation starting at the underside of the arm, just below the shoulder, for about three months. Two days ago, my left foot and ankle swelled, without trauma or any sign of a sting/bite, to the point of pitting (according to the nurses I work with). No pain, just discomfort/tingling from the swelling. Kaiser MD was concerned, sending for DVT (D-dimer), which was negative. No previous history of swelling. 4 yr hx of htn (atenolol, lisinopril, maxide), angiogram (-) for blockage (1 yr ago), currently + for low potassium. S/p cholecystectomy (3 mos ago). Family hx+ for cva, lAny thoughts? Kaiser MD baffled as to etiology of swelling in single lower extremity. Don't want any surprises; I have four young children at home. I've researched my symptoms, but found no correlation. Concerned, and open-minded.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• My entire foot swelled up with gout a few years ago. It went up my leg, too, with numbness. Glad they ruled out blood clots. What about a mammo and a visit to a chiropractor?
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for the reply. I hadn't considered gout, but then this whole issue has only existed a couple of days. Actually, the swelling went down completely, until this afternoon. I looked down around 1:00, and it had started puffing up again. Still no pain, just discomfort. I sure don't want an undiagnosed bloodclot travelling to critical areas. Thank you for the info on gout though, I'll check it out.
    opdykeboyz 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did anything come of your left foot and leg swelling? I had the same problem yesterday on my commute from work. My left leg and foot had swollen slightly by the time I got home. I elevated it and it went down. I'll see what happens tommorow.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Did anything come of your left foot and leg swelling? I had the same problem yesterday on my commute from work. My left leg and foot had swollen slightly by the time I got home. I elevated it and it went down. I'll see what happens tommorow. The swelling returned three times over the next week, but not as extensively. I had a follow-up with my primary care physician, and he was more concerned with prior lab results (low potassium), which he's been trying to stabilize for awhile. The swelling was well-documented by the urgent care MD, and he suspects it was the result of an undetected bite/sting. That still leaves the left arm numbness hanging out there, but I'm done worrying about it for now. If they're not concerned, it's probably not of any relevance. Thank you for the post. Opdykeboyz
    opdykeboyz 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I don't see a recent posting from you and was hoping you had found out the cause of your ankle swelling or if it had gone away.About 3 1/2 weeks ago I took a B12/Valerone (hormone) shot. This was about 2 weeks after returning from overseas ..healthy. I only take these shots about every 3 months or so if have hot flashes. Anyway, within 5 days my left ankle, calf begin to swell and the edema got pretty bad. Wasn't long the right foot had edema to it also. Now the edema is slightly down mornings but still pretty bad even then and am having a deep aching near the inside of my ankle. When first get up its hard to stand on them for the aching will run up into the leg a short ways. Not a pain but what I call the deep aching, also when pressed just below the inside ankle bone it hurts in that area to touch.Internal medicine doctor ran another thyroid test, liver panel, have had a uric acid and hgba1c all negative. Lasix is not helping at all and I am on Maxzide for my htn. My bp has spiked a few times as high as 174 on top...I have dx of systolic htn so the diastolic is usually low anyway. Recently have had sleep study done, had pulmonary study done, on cpap but only slight need of that they said and pul. study normal. No one has even suggested a dopplar for blood clot even though I had just 2 weeks before made a 10 hr flight. Only one said that if had a clot I would know it?????? how? I never had one before..Weight gain from fluid has gone up about 6 lbs. Only thing else can think of is that I had had a mosquito bite reaction on my hand just prior to that and it took 2 days for it to go down. Now when one bites me it leaves a pretty good whelp on me but can't see the relation to those and my ankles. Guess it'll go away sooner or later but just wondering what you found out.
    agypsygrl 79 Replies
    • August 26, 2007
    • 11:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I just wanted to mention to everyone that naproxen can cause severe ankle and foot swelling in some people. Even if you've taken it for years with no problems. I found this out the hard way. It is very painful, but will go away with no lasting effects within a day or two when you stop taking the naproxen. Hope this helps.
  • Hi, I just wanted to let you know my stepdad had very similar symptoms a yr. ago. Swelling of the lower extremities, feet, legs, eventually moved up to his abdomen. Swole to the point of "pitting" he wasn't diagnosed with the correct disease until it was to late. He passed away with Primary Amyloidosis 2 months after he was finally diagnosed correctly. The crazy part was, it seemed to come out of nowhere. He was healthy in January, then this swelling appeared late feb, died in June and age 62! He also experienced flatulence in the beggining of the disease aswell. Not trying to alarm you, just maybe something you should consider mentioning to your dr. What I learned most during his illness is; you have to be your own dr! There are so many rare conditions that dr's even miss. Let me know what you find out.Heather
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2009
    • 07:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been experiencing left arm numbness, very distinct sensation starting at the underside of the arm, just below the shoulder, for about three months. Two days ago, my left foot and ankle swelled, without trauma or any sign of a sting/bite, to the point of pitting (according to the nurses I work with). No pain, just discomfort/tingling from the swelling. Kaiser MD was concerned, sending for DVT (D-dimer), which was negative. No previous history of swelling. 4 yr hx of htn (atenolol, lisinopril, maxide), angiogram (-) for blockage (1 yr ago), currently + for low potassium. S/p cholecystectomy (3 mos ago). Family hx+ for cva, lAny thoughts? Kaiser MD baffled as to etiology of swelling in single lower extremity. Don't want any surprises; I have four young children at home. I've researched my symptoms, but found no correlation. Concerned, and open-minded.have you found out anything about this I am having the same thing going on doctors can't tell me anything test are neg. hope you are fine please let me know if you learned any thing
  • have you found out anything about this I am having the same thing going on doctors can't tell me anything test are neg. hope you are fine please let me know if you learned any thing Don't know if you might be on Advandia...but I was for a couple of years and suffered exteme edemia in my left leg and ankle as well as sudden weight gain. I insisted my doctor take me off the drug after a couple of years as the swelling, pain and weight would not get better on their own...guess what..the edema went away so did the leg swelling and I lost 20 lbs without trying ...Advandia is a deadly medicine and the maker knows this, yet the FDA (largely paneled by drug makers) allows it to stay on the market...sadly it will take more deaths before it's recalled. It's said to cause lots of heart attacks. I hope you are ok!
    ayleeann 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hello, I just wanted to mention to everyone that naproxen can cause severe ankle and foot swelling in some people. Even if you've taken it for years with no problems. I found this out the hard way. It is very painful, but will go away with no lasting effects within a day or two when you stop taking the naproxen. Hope this helps.I wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago!!! I too had extreme foot/ankle/leg swelling that I tried to "treat" by cutting out all salt, elevating my legs, etc to no avail!!! However, at a pre-surgery visit to my doctor, they told me to stop taking my Naproxen until after surgery....NO SWELLING after about 2 days off of it! I wasn't sure that was the problem, and started taking it again after my surgery, and my feet/ankles and legs swelled within a day! I have stopped taking it again, and even though I stand on my feet 5-9 hours a day, and the temperature is 90 and above......my swelling is gone!!!
  • This is freaking me out a lot!!! I'm 29 yrs old, with high blood pressure that I'm taking Amlodipine and the water pill for almost 4 yrs and no symptoms of swelling or anything. I took Naproxen two days ago. Just one. Yesterday and today, I come home from work and notice that my left feet is swollen (no reddness or any bite marks) and numbness in my left arm!There are more ants than should be in my house but I don't have any bite marks anywhere on my body!! Could it be the Naproxen??? but why numbness in the left arm??I'm otherwise fine, no fevers, no headaches, no shortness of breath and I even worked out with no problems. I'll update my condition in the next few days....
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement