Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

bumps at back of tongue

• Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 25, 2007
  • 09:00 PM

I have bumps at the back of my tongue. They're fairly large. The dentist told me they're "normal" - however, I never had them until recently. Does anyone else have these? Sometimes they make my tongue feel "thick."

Reply Flag this Discussion

29 Replies:

• I have bumps at the back of my tongue. They're fairly large. The dentist told me they're "normal" - however, I never had them until recently. Does anyone else have these? Sometimes they make my tongue feel "thick."I too have these. My tongue feels too large but im told this is normal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2007
    • 05:01 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I have to say that I am somewhat relieved after reading these posts. I developed what I know now to be some bumps on the back of my tongue seemingly out of nowhere about a week ago. It feels like something is stuck in my throat almost and I thought it was a particularly pesky popcorn hull, but finally today I used a flashlight and stuck my tongue far enough out to get a view. just a small line of bumps not painful just annoying - will continue stepped up oral care and see if they subside :)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I have to say that I am somewhat relieved after reading these posts. I developed what I know now to be some bumps on the back of my tongue seemingly out of nowhere about a week ago. It feels like something is stuck in my throat almost and I thought it was a particularly pesky popcorn hull, but finally today I used a flashlight and stuck my tongue far enough out to get a view. just a small line of bumps not painful just annoying - will continue stepped up oral care and see if they subside :)I recently developed the same symtoms. Let us know of any improvements...Thanks,Larry
  • I do have a same problem. I have visited so many doctors and they've told me that it is normal..
    Natural Medicine 24 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi I have to say that I am somewhat relieved after reading these posts. I developed what I know now to be some bumps on the back of my tongue seemingly out of nowhere about a week ago. It feels like something is stuck in my throat almost and I thought it was a particularly pesky popcorn hull, but finally today I used a flashlight and stuck my tongue far enough out to get a view. just a small line of bumps not painful just annoying - will continue stepped up oral care and see if they subside :)I am glad to hear that this is normal. It freaked me out. I recently developed these bumps at the back of my tongue, and yes, it does feel like something is stuck in my throat! Hopefully, it'll go away soon. Does anyone have any advise to fasten this process?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2010
    • 07:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Same here it's driving me mad. I thought something was stuck in my throat but realized later the feeling is from these red bumps on the way back portion of my tongue. Not sure what it's from. Maybe a vitamin or mineral deficiency? Started after my third baby was born.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 7, 2011
    • 06:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • does any cough alot from these bumps?
  • I have like a sore throat more like i have something stuck in my throat and this been going on for 7 weeks already. I tried antibiotics and that havent help, and just today i check my mouth and saw this bumps in back of my tongue. i have a doctors appoinment tomorrow and hopefully i"ll find out if thats normal.
  • i recently got these at the back of my tongue . unfortunately i dont think that its normal . I didnt realized i had this until recently when i thought i had a alegric reaction to something i ate . but is there a cure because my tongue hurts especially when i eat spicy food . and the bumps just dont look like they belong there .
  • I have like a sore throat more like i have something stuck in my throat and this been going on for 7 weeks already. I tried antibiotics and that havent help, and just today i check my mouth and saw this bumps in back of my tongue. i have a doctors appoinment tomorrow and hopefully i"ll find out if thats normal.did you find anything out from your doctor? i'm curious b/c i have the same symptoms. thanks!
  • did you find anything out from your doctor? i'm curious b/c i have the same symptoms. thanks!I have had this same problem but the red bumps on the back of my tongue are large and constantly itch and burn. It is making it difficult to eat, swallow and talk. I'm sure it is not normal although I've been to my primary care physician and an ENT. It is getting worse and I'm miserable. So, I will be going to a different ENT next week and I will let you know what I find out.Does anyone else have these symptoms?Thanks,Brig
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• does any cough alot from these bumps?Yes I have a cough with these red bumps on the back of my tongue at first I thought I might be allergic to my new cat until I read your statement I have not been to the doctor yet but when I get there I will let you know what he says
  • Same here... I have bumps at the back of my throat too. I was coughing for a while and for a moment i thought i caught an STI ...cause well, ive been doin thangs but ...not sure now...its seems everybody is breakin out in throat bumps...HOW and WHY is this normal. whats the cause???i recently got these at the back of my tongue . unfortunately i dont think that its normal . I didnt realized i had this until recently when i thought i had a alegric reaction to something i ate . but is there a cure because my tongue hurts especially when i eat spicy food . and the bumps just dont look like they belong there .
  • I've had these on the back of my tongue for a couple months now as well. My GP told me they were just enlarged taste buds and nothing to worry about. But I am trying to figure out why I have them in the first place. I had surgery to relieve apnea and snoring about 6 months ago where they removed just about everything in the upper back of my mouth (rear of soft palate, adnoids, tonsils, uvula...it's a desert back there!) while also fixing my deviated septum and moving my turbinates away (btw, I would not recommend anyone to do all this at once, it was absolutely miserable!) So, now an amazing amount of air comes in through my nose...like never before. I think it is drying out my tongue, because the enlarged taste buds seem to be right where the air coming in via my nose hits. It didn't start right after the surgery, though. So I'm thinking it started when my allergies were hitting me and I was sucking on menthol cough drops for much of the day. Not sure, just a theory. But it's been weeks since then and I still have those annoying bumps on my tongue, which originally felt like they were bumps on the roof of my mouth. No one seems to have posted any kind of remedy yet, so I would love to hear if anyone's doctor has recommended anything.
  • OMG! This is exactly what happend to me! I had the same exact surgery for sleep apnea (that I wouldn't recommend either!) I had my surgery back in April. I noticed today that the annoying feeling in the back of my throat were these bumps. I always have the sensation that something is stuck in my throat and yes they do make me cough! I have even gagged so bad to the point of vomitting. I also noticed that they affect the flavor of my food that I eat. I also constantly eat cough drops trying to keep my throat moist and to cover the bad taste in my mouth. I don't snore as bad anymore but now I have nothing in the back of my mouth (ghost town) and I have an increased amount of air that has made a whole new problem! How long does this usually last and am I going to have to go under the knife again? I'm still traumatized from the previous surgery.
  • Ive recently found out that the bumps on the back of my tongue were caused from Smokin too much weed and consuming too much B-12 vitamins. The drink I am reffering to is Vitamin water. If you are a smoker you will know it is nearly impossible to consume the drink without being more thirsty. I was high and mixed the B-12 with the cotton mouth, the vitamins simply stayed on my tongue while I slept. I woke up with these bumps. Nothing serious Just enough to scare me. Try not to scrape your tongue with your teeth it is really a bad habbit for smokers and sufferers of cotton mouth and it just makes it worse. DRINK WATER. Avoid too much B-12 vitamin. I am currently still going through the stages of these bumps. From what I hear they should be gone in no time. Ive heard...Gargle Salt water frequently. Dab a lil bleach on a Q-tip and apply it to the sore/sores (should be gone within 24-48hours. Suck on a/an disolveable Malox/ or other digestive pill. (makes it less irratable). Avoid smoking. I know I know it sucks..But it really cant be good for you..All it did was make my symtoms worse. DONT scrape it. Give it time to heal so it can develop tissue on its own. If you scrape it your really just making yourself suffer longer. (I know how people are soooo. Try all this at your own risk) Just sayin..I wouldnt tell ya'll this if I wasnt looking for a solution myself. It's a lil freaky seeing something like that develop overnight, Dont worry...Youshu be aight :)
  • I have bumps at the back of my tongue. They're fairly large. The dentist told me they're "normal" - however, I never had them until recently. Does anyone else have these? Sometimes they make my tongue feel "thick."Receiving an answer like "they're normal" ...is no answer at all...and you shouldn't accept it as one. Doctors ...or Dentist's (who think they are doctors) do not like to say "I don't know". Instead you get an answer like "they're normal" ..or "here's a prescription". If this symptom is in fact "normal" ...then he (or she) should easily be able to then tell you just exactly what it is.The bumps on the back of your tongue could be a number of things. Most likely it is a symptom of "candida overgrowth" aka "yeast fungus overgrowth" in the body. I recommend doing searches using key words such as "bumps on back of tongue symptom of candida" (or yeast overgrowth). It's important to educate yourself about it. Candida causes a number of health problems ...and can lead to diseases as serious as cancer. This fungus left unchecked can root into the intestines, and lead to "leaky gut syndrome". This causes undigested foods to leak out of the intestines into the body where it causes a number of serious problems. While difficult to rid yourself of this fungus overgrowth ...it can be done. There will always be yeast present in the intestines ...but with the proper amount of "good bacteria via a quality probiotic" ..and proper diet, you can "balance" your intestines. Avoid taking antibiotics unless it's an absolute need. And if you do take an antibiotic, be sure take a good probiotic suppliment (not just yogurt). The antibiotic kills not only bad bacteria ...but the good bacteria living in your gut as well. This will start you on the path to "yeast overgrowth" that can migrate all over the body. It will create a host symptoms that the doctor will be glad to write you a prescription for. Of course the prescription will NOT address your problem ...only your symptom. It benifits only the wealthy "doc" ...and the greedy unethical pharmaceutical companies. Good health ...and good luck!
  • Most likey inflamed taste buds, due to allergies. I just got them and it's quit irritating, drink lots of water and avoid smoking and alcohol.
  • This is everyone of the most outstanding sites in this area. Look in here often and favour to all, because it is highly recommended. It is rare that the admin pages so cared against believable dope on the stage and its layout.
    beloBlenula 60 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is people of the best sites in this area. Look in here over again and promote to all, because it is highly recommended. It is rare that the admin pages so cared against certain dope on the stage and its layout.
    beloBlenula 60 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement