Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Tingling, Sharp pain and numbness in extremities

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 20, 2007
  • 04:40 AM

I am a 27 year old female who suddenly started having syptoms of numbness and tingling in my right arm, which moved then to my left, then to my foot and then the other foot late November 2006. The tingling and numbness come and go and the strength does as well, there have been times riding in the car or sitting at home when I get terrible shooting pain in my feet or my hands/arms. None of the pain is above my knee or above my elbow. There is always a constant tingling in my extremities (only noticed it for the first 2-3 months, I am used to the feeling now). I have noticed increased weakness in my grip and ability to hold on to things, but not extreme. I have not noticed any pattern in the pain and tingling, although my limbs tend to go numb (fall asleep) faster than normal, like when I am kneeling on the floor or cross my legs). For example, I had a sudden onset of my pointer finger going numb with pins and needles while driving today, my palm became numb but not painful like my finger. It lasted for 2 hours, then it has now become a simple pins and needles feeling in my whole hand.

I have seen a neurologist, explained my symptoms and received the following tests:
3 mri's of the upper spine (insurance would not cover the lower spin)
CAT scan
chest x-ray
blood work - specifically looking for B12 and other items
and several neuorological exams

The neurologist seemed interested in trying to figure it all out, looking at MS since my paternal grandmother was originally diagnosed with it (turns out it was some other disorder towards the end of her life), B12 levels, and the like.

They basically told me that 1/3 of people with nerve problems are un-diagnosible and that I may never know why and basically they would try to treat my symptoms. But there is nothing that helps. I am concerned about my future and the potential for this to continue to get worse, maybe not be able to use my arms and legs like my grandmother. Please help if you have any information or ideas at all.

CM

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement