Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Tingling, Sharp pain and numbness in extremities

Posted In: Medical Stories 48 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 20, 2007
  • 04:40 AM

I am a 27 year old female who suddenly started having syptoms of numbness and tingling in my right arm, which moved then to my left, then to my foot and then the other foot late November 2006. The tingling and numbness come and go and the strength does as well, there have been times riding in the car or sitting at home when I get terrible shooting pain in my feet or my hands/arms. None of the pain is above my knee or above my elbow. There is always a constant tingling in my extremities (only noticed it for the first 2-3 months, I am used to the feeling now). I have noticed increased weakness in my grip and ability to hold on to things, but not extreme. I have not noticed any pattern in the pain and tingling, although my limbs tend to go numb (fall asleep) faster than normal, like when I am kneeling on the floor or cross my legs). For example, I had a sudden onset of my pointer finger going numb with pins and needles while driving today, my palm became numb but not painful like my finger. It lasted for 2 hours, then it has now become a simple pins and needles feeling in my whole hand.

I have seen a neurologist, explained my symptoms and received the following tests:
3 mri's of the upper spine (insurance would not cover the lower spin)
CAT scan
chest x-ray
blood work - specifically looking for B12 and other items
and several neuorological exams

The neurologist seemed interested in trying to figure it all out, looking at MS since my paternal grandmother was originally diagnosed with it (turns out it was some other disorder towards the end of her life), B12 levels, and the like.

They basically told me that 1/3 of people with nerve problems are un-diagnosible and that I may never know why and basically they would try to treat my symptoms. But there is nothing that helps. I am concerned about my future and the potential for this to continue to get worse, maybe not be able to use my arms and legs like my grandmother. Please help if you have any information or ideas at all.

CM

Reply Flag this Discussion

48 Replies:

• CM,I'm not sure how we could chat...but I've actually had many of the same symptoms and have heard the same responses! It is quite frustrating because I know something is not right, although I do not know where else to go. I have been seeing an accupuncturist because I also experience back pain when sitting at work for extended periods of time. This seems to help, it definitely relaxes me some, which is something I know I need to work on more.It is reassuring to know that someone else out there, same age, is experiencing many of the same symptoms. The tingling and random pains come and go....numbness is localized around my left foot and part of my leg at this point, but it randomly travels to my right leg and both my hands. I have seen a neurologist and have had multiple genetic tests and other types of test that have all come back normal/negative. I too had a MRI on my lumbar spine. All this came back normal and there was never a diagnosis for my left foot numbness, other than peripheral neuropathy. To me, that is the symptom, not the diagnosis...I need to know why it's happening! Just like CM, if anyone has any information or recommendations on what the next step should be...I would be so grateful. I'm going to try some Yoga and see if that helps any...YC
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • CM & YCI too have exactly the same symptoms but have been diagnosed with T Cell Lymphoma diagnosed by a bone marrow aspiration. This is being maintained by steroids but the peripheral neuropathy symptoms still exist, the pain becoming so severe at times I have been on morphine patches. Good news is that 3 months of naturopathy/acupuncture treatment has eased the pain to a degree and I no longer at this stage need the morphine. I am however now getting nerve 'twitches' in both my eye lids but medico's, now that they have diagnosed the cause, don't seem interested in my painful nerve symptoms!I too am very frustrated with the lack of care for peripheral neuropathy sufferers (neurologist and oncologist attitude is 'live with it'!) I am in no way suggesting you have lymphoma but my neurologist at least was keen to find out what caused the peripheral neuropathy, as it is a symptom of something, and like yourselves, after many scans & MRI's, blood tests, etc. I am not diabetic and don't have MS.RM
  • I am 70 yrs young and my body has tingled for the last ten years had sometests done then and no one found anything.I still tingle all over about one inch below the skin it seems. Mostly I try to ignore it . It is usually worse laying down than when walking around.I am not sure if this helps anyone but would like to know if anyone elsehas this. Ten years ago I had radiation for breast cancer and wonderif this is a cause.J.C.
  • I am a 33 yr old female and I have been having the same problems for about 10 yrs. I went to doctor after doctor, with numbness in my left hand , loss of strength, and the worse throbbing pain in my left arm you can imagine. At times I've told my husband that I felt like cutting my arm off because it hurt so much and felt like a dead weight because I had lost so much strength in it. some doc's said that it was in my head, I was also told that I had fibromyalgia which I nearly accepted because I was also very tired. Finally I found a doctor that cared enough to to really listen and he discovered to three separate reasons for my troubles the arm and hand problems were due to a combo of carpals tunnel and rediculopothy which is nerve damage in the upper four vertebra and the tiredness was due to a sever mytro-vaulve prolapses.
  • A very near and dear friend of mine had much of the same problems. He was misdiagnosed for five years, and even had surgery for what they said was spinal stenosis that was caused by a cyst in the base of his spine. Needless to say, the symptoms progressed. He too had CAT scans and MRI"S of everything but I guess the most important...his brain. MS shows up as lesions on the brain, and depending on the location of the lesions, determines your symptoms. Unfortunately for him, his is progressive. I would request an MRI of your brain. He got steroid therapy in the beginning, and it helped him. He is now on Rebif.Best of luck to all of you, and God bless!By the way, this sounds so obvious, but were you checked for Diabetes? Neuropathy is sometimes caused by it.
  • All of you need to go to the thread above called "Vitamin B12 deficiency is commonly misdiagnosed." By Sally Pacholock. ASAP!!!! There are hundreds of people with the same symptoms and you will get anwers to most of your questions. And whatever you do, DON"T start taking B12 supplement until you have read what Sally says about B12 deficiecy.
  • URGENT RESPONSEEveryone who is having these symptoms must be aware of the following. ASPARTAME POISONINGAspartame is in 6000 products,in Diet Sodas/Sugar Free Gums/Equal/Nutrasweet/Canderel/There has recently been a case in New Zealand where a young woman was consuming a lot of sugar free chewing gum and was misdiagnosed for 4 weeks after feeling tingling/numbness/headaches/bad psychological problems. She came off the gum and her symptoms have all gone, this is a serious issue and has made world news. See below. Please be alerted to this product (often written as 951 on the back of products), if you come off Aspartame and get better please email this girl abbycormack@gmail.com she is starting a campaign in New Zealand to get warning labels on any products containing 951, it is a poison and becoming a world epidemic. www.dorway.comNEWS ARTICLES IN NEW ZEALANDhttp://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-7-23/57897.html http://www.tv3.co.nz/VideoBrowseAll/VideoAll/tabid/303/articleID/30896/Default.aspx?articleID=30896http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1193703?bandwidth=128k
  • I have almost the same thing (arm anyway/below the elbow). I had a nerve conduction test and it showed I have nerve issues in my neck. Half of my arm goes numb (thumb, pointer, and middle finger only). They said it is C-6/C-7. I just wish they had found out before they did shoulder surgery...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 31, 2007
    • 06:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am amazed at how many people have similar problems. I am 27 and have similar problems. I have no clue what it would be. But I am also on a quest to find some answers. Though I have a larger range of problems, i know it is very difficult to live with. I have not been able to find any answers. I wish you the best in luck on finding the right answer. You are not alone, there seems to be tons of other ppl with the same problems. Good luck.
    irislovingirl 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I do not suffer from any of this but my Mother and a friend suffer from very similar symptoms, my Mothers is due to a vairety of spinal problems so no mystery with her source but my friend has yet to be diagnosed like all of you. Recently, my Mother after years and years of pain and tons of tests, medications and Doctors...she has recently started going to a pain management facility and they decided to try her on a medication generally nkown for being used for treated people with seizures. It is also used in treating some nerve conditions...since she has tried pain meds for years and to no real relief ever, this medication has worked like a miracle!! For the first time in I can't count how many years, she has stood up straight and is not moving in severe pain. She is delighted to say the least and this was ONE day after taking her first dose. It is called Neurontin and so far this is her miracle drug!! I am telling you my Mother has been through several spinal fusions, she has spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease and so much more. Most of her is held together with titanium rods and bolts and they have no bone practically holding them in place anymore. Her pain is from the nerves that all this degenerative disease of the bone has caused. Finally a Doctor that is treating her for the source of the pain...the nerves!I pray this helps you too as it has my Mother! Sometimes you just need a Doctor that can think "outside of the box".Good luck!
  • I wish all of you good health sooner than later! I'm 35 years olds and started having severe sciatica pain in both legs 2 months ago. I've had a bulging disk at L5 for 15 yrs, so when they did an MRI it looked the same. The neurologist assumed I had moved the bulge a millimeter or so right on the nerve. I started spinal decompression immediately and had 16 treatments with symptoms getting worse. The shooting pains, numbness, tingling and weakness spread to my left arm, my tongue and lips, and now my right arm. Tongue and lips seems to be better usually, legs and arms are still very weak and painful. Even typing this is making my forearms BURN! I had another set of MRI's, brain with and without contrast,and 1 of my neck. No lesions from MS, but bulging disk in neck. He's convinced it's not my disks because I'm having brain glitches. I was on Mobic, it didn't work and made me very sick, was taking 750 mg vicodin, that doesn't really work either. He started me yesterday on Lyrica, 75 mg 2 times a day. Boy did it affect me this a.m., very slow and almost drooling. Not good, I guess I'll build a tolerance? Now he's testing me for Lyme disease. I know it's only been 2 months, but I just want an answer. I am on 2 week leave from work because I can't function correctly. I was going up and down stairs 20-50 times a day. Too much. Does anyone have any answers for diagnosis? I am a mother of 3 and my little ones really just want Mommy to play with them again and be active! I've always been in pretty good shape and regularly work out. I'm bummed.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Please check what you are taking in. Make a complete inventory of all medicines and food additives. After you have made the list google each item along with the word neuropathy. That is how I discovered what was giving me neuropathy!I got Peripheral Neuropathy from taking Arava (Leflunimide) prescribed for an inflamatory condition.I have tried Neurontin and Lyrica. Neurontin did nothing, Lyrica worked but had bad side effects (drooling and loss of balance). Am on Cellcept right now and it really reduces the neuropathy pain and discomfort with few side effects. But everybody is different.Good Luck and God Bless.
  • i have also been experiencing these symptomsi am only 18 years of age and im kinda scared of what it could bei get sharp pains in my leg hand foot and fingers..i brought it up with my doctor but he said it is probably nothing and if it continues to talk to him once more.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2008
    • 02:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I am a 27 year old female who suddenly started having syptoms of numbness and tingling in my right arm, which moved then to my left, then to my foot and then the other foot late November 2006. The tingling and numbness come and go and the strength does as well, there have been times riding in the car or sitting at home when I get terrible shooting pain in my feet or my hands/arms. None of the pain is above my knee or above my elbow. There is always a constant tingling in my extremities (only noticed it for the first 2-3 months, I am used to the feeling now). I have noticed increased weakness in my grip and ability to hold on to things, but not extreme. I have not noticed any pattern in the pain and tingling, although my limbs tend to go numb (fall asleep) faster than normal, like when I am kneeling on the floor or cross my legs). For example, I had a sudden onset of my pointer finger going numb with pins and needles while driving today, my palm became numb but not painful like my finger. It lasted for 2 hours, then it has now become a simple pins and needles feeling in my whole hand. I have seen a neurologist, explained my symptoms and received the following tests:3 mri's of the upper spine (insurance would not cover the lower spin)CAT scanchest x-rayblood work - specifically looking for B12 and other itemsand several neuorological exams The neurologist seemed interested in trying to figure it all out, looking at MS since my paternal grandmother was originally diagnosed with it (turns out it was some other disorder towards the end of her life), B12 levels, and the like. They basically told me that 1/3 of people with nerve problems are un-diagnosible and that I may never know why and basically they would try to treat my symptoms. But there is nothing that helps. I am concerned about my future and the potential for this to continue to get worse, maybe not be able to use my arms and legs like my grandmother. Please help if you have any information or ideas at all. CM Hi CM. Come on over to the b12 deficiency thread http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=120995&posted=1#post120995 and check out our sympotoms list. I am in the process of getting my numb feet (of that 1/3 unknown causes but actually severe b12 deficiency) healed. One can have b12 deficiencies no matter what the tests say as they are not definitive. If you would like to heal too, check it out. Do you have a lot of other miscellanious symptoms too?
    Freddd 3,576 Replies
    • September 28, 2008
    • 11:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Briefly reading your symptoms sounds like Paresthesia. I am only a nursing student so I am not exactly sure how to treat it or the severity. Hope this helps!
  • seeing if this works
  • Briefly reading your symptoms sounds like Paresthesia. I am only a nursing student so I am not exactly sure how to treat it or the severity. Hope this helps! Many neuropathic symptoms including paresthesia respond to the two natural b12s plus cofactors.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had an awful experience with Lyrica. Every bad side effect listed, I had it! Blurred vision, unsteady balance, slurred speech, blurting, mental fogginess and inability to concentrate, 10-15 lb. weight gain. And worst of all, the pain relief only lasted for a few weeks and then tapered off, and I was left with pain AND side effects! I wish you the best in your efforts for chronic pain relief. I, too, have bulging disks (lower back) and degenerative disk disease in the few remaining disks beneath the bulging disks, and have yet to receive any real answers!
  • The symptoms you describe sound very familiar to me, as I suffer from the same. Although there are many other possible causes (diabetes, leukemia, anemia, neuropathy, etc. etc. etc.), the most likely cause is "Restless legs syndrome", which afflicts about 5% of the population (these other things are rather rare, except diabetes). Restless Legs Syndrome is a familial trait with dominant inheritance, thought to be related to ADHD. All my siblings and children seem to have both, in some degree or other, although they cope with it differently.I am a medical doctor myself and I consulted my sister who is a neurologist about RLS : tingling feelings in my feet and hands, especially in bed and at rest. Changing position makes it stop, but not for long. There can be long periods without problems, but it always returns. Constant activity is an effective remedy (in my case : gardening, mountainbiking, construction work). My main problem is that it disturbes my sleep : the tingling wakes me up and makes me change position countless times per night. Luckily my wife is a sound sleeper. Laziness makes it worse, heavy activity (e.g. 15 days of all-day non-stop mountainbiking the length of the Pyrenees mountains) chases it away for a couple of months.Before making the RLS diagnosis, I was operated upon a carpal tunnel syndrome at my right hand (left hand still needs to be done) which was supposedly substantiated by EMG measurements (I believe my sister but I'm not an expert in this field), and got an MRI scan which supposedly found a C6-C7 cervical spine lesion (I can't see it on the scans, but I take their word for it). While these may have been true superimposed somatic problems, they have nothing to do with the underlying RLS defect.I have no idea where this is going to end. I'm 52 years old and I feel great. I had an existential crisis in my twenties (some would call it a depression, but funnily enough I liked it tremendously) and have been on a natural high ever since. I take no medication whatsoever (no caffeïne, alcohol or drugs either). I have the feeling my affliction - while being a nuisance to others and occasionally to myself as well as it deprives me of a lot of sleep - still was responsible for making me what I am now : highly educated (medicine plus IT !), highly creative (bursting with bright new ideas, many of which have already become reality), highly energetic (and very tiring to others who cannot follow my pace), highly trained physically, and highly succesful, although also : somewhat detested by certain co-workers who dislike my "hard-driving" style.So I'm watching my RLS closely, trying to stay aware that it affects my relations to others, but I'm not having it treated medically, as I don't want to lose this in-built "whip" ;)And when I wake up again with tingling hands and feet, I rejoice, because that gives me a good excuse to switch on the light and read another book. This way I can read up to three hours a night, between midnight and seven o'clock ! (I just love my RLS)After all, RLS (and ADHD, and Parkinson, and any other "disease") are just labels my collegues use to classify "cases", to try to get a grasp on things. But no person is a "clear-cut case". Mr or mrs. Average do not exist. So you may just as well enjoy your own constitution. It is part of you. It defines you, at least in part.So by all means : explore your symptoms, get diagnosed, get second and third opinions. But before you decide to take or undergo treatment, consider : is it worth it ? Is it urgent and serious enough ? Is there any doubt about the diagnosis ? Can you do without ? If you have this part of yourself removed or altered, will enough of you remain ?Of course, if you don't like yourself as you are, by all means : go for a remake !My sister (and her husband, also a neurologist) are highly convinced that we have RLS, and insist on treatment. My collegue who is an accupunturist and an MD naturally proposes accupuncture. My brother in law who is a surgeon wants to operate upon my neck vertebrae. One of his collegues already has cut open my right hand carpal tunnel and wants to do the other side too. Another collegue who is a kinesitherapist, proposes manipulation of my cervical vertebrae. And my brother who is a general practitioner advocated medical restraint and cycling. At that point I decided I had found the perfect solution and started mountain biking with my youngest brother, in all the most beautiful spots of the world :D
    fouture 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I feel your pain. I too have sharp pains, mostly in my feet but occasionally also in my hands. This actually started shortly after I had a (mild) allergic reaction to a fire ant sting on my foot. In the days following, I would experience something that felt exactly like the fire ant sting when it occurredd--a sharp pinch that actually feels more like a bite than an sting. At first I would take off my shoe to look to see if there was an ant in my shoe. After a while I realized they are "phantom" stings and I don't even bother looking any more. The pain is very sharp for about four or five seconds, and then disappears entirely. They come on at any time, particularly when I am engaged in work and not even remotely thinking about fire ant stings. Although I initially saw an M.D. for my sting, I know better than to even bother consulting a doctor on this one. They will not know either the cause or the cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 23, 2009
    • 00:38 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement