Discussions By Condition: Poisoning

Metal Poisoning from Braces

Posted In: Poisoning 30 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 18, 2007
  • 08:59 PM

Hello. My brother is 16 years old. Around February, he went completely nuts. His girlfriend had broken up with him two months before. He was until feb. but then started calling her, stalking her, and leaving her threatening messages. You would have to know him to know that this is NOT him. My parents took away his car, phone, and internet access. That mainly worked to keep him away from her. He started losing weight rapidly. As this progressed, he went from being a healthy sized teenager to skelatal within a month and a half. My mother caught him wondering through the house on several occasions dazed and confused not knowing where he was. He started talking about killing himself, and saying really off the wall things. That is kind of odd for a boy that just a month and a half before was wanting to be a youth pastor.
My mother researched metal poisoning because she noticed that this all happened since he had gotten his braces. The doctors said she was crazy for awhile, and then finally did blood and hair tests. Sure enough, his metal levels were ridiculously high. His braces were IMMEDIATELY removed. The orthadontist did it for free, he felt really bad (although it's not like it was his fault). Jim has since returned to normal. He eats again, no more amnesia, rage, depression, he has even gotten most of his friends back.
The only side effects that he still has are occasional half-body numbness.
Anyways... I just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever goes through a similar experience and can't find anything on it.

Do you think that the numbness could be a result of metals still left in his system?

Reply Flag this Discussion

30 Replies:

• Hi, There is only one substance that can remove heavy metals and mercury from the body. Glutathione. Unfortunetly you cannot eat it allthough it is sold. It will not survive your digestive tract. You have to give the body the building blocks for making Glutathione. Buy Immunocal Platinum. Comes with a month supply of 30 pouches in a box with a mixing cup. It comes in a powered form I take it with orange juice.www.Immunotec.com/Shophealthy
    dfarrish 34 Replies Flag this Response
  • Immune reactivity to nickel in braces is common, causes ADHD, etc.Better to get the non-metal ones. Regarding glutathione, supplementing Nacetylcysteine(NAC) or lipoic acid increases glutathione levels.BW
    berniew1 37 Replies Flag this Response
  • Research over the past quarter century has shown that the limiting factor for our body’s ability to make glutathione, is the availability of cysteine in our diet. If you were to look in the drug Physician Desk Reference (PDR) you will see two options for raising Glutathione values. NAC & Immunocal. These are the only two ways that have been clinically proven to raise Glutathione. Let’s look at cysteine itself, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and IMMUNOCAL.The amino acid cysteine can be found in supplement form in pills and powders. Unfortunately just eating cysteine has not proved to be an effective way to raise glutathione. Cysteine alone is quickly oxidized in the digestive system and does not make it to the cells in an appreciable quantity. Cysteine must be in a form that can survive the trip through the gut, into the bloodstream and across the cell membrane.NAC is a form of cysteine that has been chemically modified to be able to make this long journey from your mouth to your cells. NAC is used as a drug to raise glutathione in critical medical situations such as acetaminophen overdose. It is also the drug most commonly used in research studies investigating glutathione augmentation. NAC suffers from two drawbacks. It is effective in raising glutathione only for a short few hours, which is why doctors must give it topatients throughout the entire day. Individuals who take NAC pills experience a peak in glutathione and then levels may crash, occasionallybelow baseline values. The other complication of NAC is that side effects such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are common. More severe and even lethal effects are related to the neurotoxicity of NAC. For example, Dr. Paul Cheney Director of the Cheney Clinic in Charlotte N.C. observed 12 patients treated with oral NAC (1 g a day). Two of these patients developed severe encephalopathy. After years of investigation, Dr. Gustavo Bounous developed what we know as IMMUNOCAL. This is a protein supplement that has the ability to deliver cysteine to our cells. It can be viewed as a “cysteine delivery vehicle”. Being a complicated natural protein, the transformation of cysteine into glutathione starts quickly, but continues over many hours as our digestion and metabolism do their job. The FDA has listed Immunocal as GRAS Generally Recocognized as Safe. No known over doses have been reported to date. No side effects from it's use. It must be kept in mind that the amount of cysteine in IMMUNOCAL is not as important as the form of cysteine. For example, if you were to boil IMMUNOCAL, the amount of cysteine would remain the same, but the ability to raise glutathionewould be destroyed, because the cysteine would no longer be in a deliverable form for the cell to properly utilize. The advantages of IMMUNOCAL over cysteine and NAC are clear once the physiologyis understood. IMMUNOCALis clearly superior to NAC in stimulating this process of cysteine storage. Immunocal is a natural product that is listed in the Drug Physician Desk Reference (PDR) and the Pharmacist Red Book. Immunocal is also covered by Medicaid and Medicare. And is guaranteed to raise and sustain Glutathione values.
  • Research over the past quarter century has shown that the limiting factor for our body’s ability to make glutathione, is the availability of cysteine in our diet. If you were to look in the drug Physician Desk Reference (PDR) you will see two options for raising Glutathione values. NAC & Immunocal. These are the only two ways that have been clinically proven to raise Glutathione. Let’s look at cysteine itself, N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and IMMUNOCAL. The amino acid cysteine can be found in supplement form in pills and powders. Unfortunately just eating cysteine has not proved to be an effective way to raise glutathione. Cysteine alone is quickly oxidized in the digestive system and does not make it to the cells in an appreciable quantity. Cysteine must be in a form that can survive the trip through the gut, into the bloodstream and across the cell membrane. NAC is a form of cysteine that has been chemically modified to be able to make this long journey from your mouth to your cells. NAC is used as a drug to raise glutathione in critical medical situations such as acetaminophen overdose. It is also the drug most commonly used in research studies investigating glutathione augmentation. NAC suffers from two drawbacks. It is effective in raising glutathione only for a short few hours, which is why doctors must give it topatients throughout the entire day. Individuals who take NAC pills experience a peak in glutathione and then levels may crash, occasionallybelow baseline values. The other complication of NAC is that side effects such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are common. More severe and even lethal effects are related to the neurotoxicity of NAC. For example, Dr. Paul Cheney Director of the Cheney Clinic in Charlotte N.C. observed 12 patients treated with oral NAC (1 g a day). Two of these patients developed severe encephalopathy. After years of investigation, Dr. Gustavo Bounous developed what we know as IMMUNOCAL. This is a protein supplement that has the ability to deliver cysteine to our cells. It can be viewed as a “cysteine delivery vehicle”. Being a complicated natural protein, the transformation of cysteine into glutathione starts quickly, but continues over many hours as our digestion and metabolism do their job. The FDA has listed Immunocal as GRAS Generally Recocognized as Safe. No known over doses have been reported to date. No side effects from it's use. It must be kept in mind that the amount of cysteine in IMMUNOCAL is not as important as the form of cysteine. For example, if you were to boil IMMUNOCAL, the amount of cysteine would remain the same, but the ability to raise glutathione would be destroyed, because the cysteine would no longer be in a deliverable form for the cell to properly utilize. The advantages of IMMUNOCAL over cysteine and NAC are clear once the physiology is understood. IMMUNOCALis clearly superior to NAC in stimulating this process of cysteine storage.Immunocal is a natural product that is listed in the Drug Physician Desk Reference (PDR) and the Pharmacist Red Book. Immunocal is also covered by Medicaid and Medicare. And is guaranteed to raise and sustain Glutathione values.
  • Looks like my brother is going excatly through the same symptoms from the braces that he's wearing. He has been going through depression extreme weight loss etc. I'm finding more and more info on the web saying that metals in braces can poison your body and your brain. The doctor though I was nuts. It feels good to finaly know what is possibly wrong with my brother, will get him tested for metals.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 08:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to thank you for posting this post because your right, it's hard to find specific cases like that on the web. Especialy when my family is going through the same thing with my brother right now. I hope your brother is doing much better already and that he's recovering fast from these toxic killers that doctors put in our mouths. Did the braces that your brother was wearing consist partialy of nickel? What metals did he have in his mouth other than that, for instance fillings, crowns any of that, or was it just braces? What metals did the physicians found in his body that were at high levels after they did the blood and hair testings. I assume it was nickel first then maybe something else. Please help me out with this I greately appreciate it, you already have helped us just by telling your story. Thank you I hope to hear from u if you don't mind please e-mail me at lets_rock@sbcglobal.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2008
    • 05:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. My brother is 16 years old. Around February, he went completely nuts. His girlfriend had broken up with him two months before. He was until feb. but then started calling her, stalking her, and leaving her threatening messages. You would have to know him to know that this is NOT him. My parents took away his car, phone, and internet access. That mainly worked to keep him away from her. He started losing weight rapidly. As this progressed, he went from being a healthy sized teenager to skelatal within a month and a half. My mother caught him wondering through the house on several occasions dazed and confused not knowing where he was. He started talking about killing himself, and saying really off the wall things. That is kind of odd for a boy that just a month and a half before was wanting to be a youth pastor. My mother researched metal poisoning because she noticed that this all happened since he had gotten his braces. The doctors said she was crazy for awhile, and then finally did blood and hair tests. Sure enough, his metal levels were ridiculously high. His braces were IMMEDIATELY removed. The orthadontist did it for free, he felt really bad (although it's not like it was his fault). Jim has since returned to normal. He eats again, no more amnesia, rage, depression, he has even gotten most of his friends back.The only side effects that he still has are occasional half-body numbness. Anyways... I just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever goes through a similar experience and can't find anything on it. Do you think that the numbness could be a result of metals still left in his system?Unless your brother got his braces in Mexico, your orthodontist is probably guilty of a crime. Metal braces in the United States are necessarily made of stainless steel, which cannot cause heavy metal poisoning. If they were stainless steel, then they are not the cause of your brother's problem, and they were removed for nothing.As a sidenote:Hi, There is only one substance that can remove heavy metals and mercury from the body. Glutathione. Unfortunetly you cannot eat it allthough it is sold. It will not survive your digestive tract. You have to give the body the building blocks for making Glutathione. Buy Immunocal Platinum. Comes with a month supply of 30 pouches in a box with a mixing cup. It comes in a powered form I take it with orange juice.www.Immunotec.com/ShophealthyThis is a flagrant lie, and this person is a scam artist. Just so everyone knows.
    bobwick 21 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 01:15 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Immune reactivity to nickel in braces is common, causes ADHD, etc.Better to get the non-metal ones. Regarding glutathione, supplementing Nacetylcysteine(NAC) or lipoic acid increases glutathione levels.BWThis, also, is complete BS.
    bobwick 21 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 01:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It's funny how some here is completely out of touch with what he's saying and does not know basic facts. Stainless steal is NICKEL. Nickel is a heavy metal. Braces given to the patients in the U.S. do contain NICKEL which is a toxic heavy metal. 1 in 100 people have all kinds of alergic reactions, sometimes psychological. Other's of course can get poisoned. It's a white collar crime that our doctors still put these things in our mouths, of course the reason for it is always money. Money, it's all about money. All about companies making money and trying to misinform people like someone in this room for instance all because of money.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 7, 2008
    • 06:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you for this message!I am a 37 year old woman and I decided to get braces at 36. Early on I started getting sick after the braces; sore throat, coughs and colds. I did not connect this sickness with the braces. However, these symtoms are getting worse. I now have a terrible cough. I am on meds- and I have always been a pretty healthy person. However, my health is declining and I know it's from the braces. Thank you again for the info on your brother. I know he will be fine!God Bless...K
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2008
    • 11:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi i am 19 years old, i just removed my braces the other day....I had a problem with my hormones i have a 50/50 percent of having children and this is a worry could this be because of my braces?I really am worried and would love some feed back on this please....please email me at farah.floris@gmail.com Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 17, 2008
    • 01:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• For those with chronic conditions, fatigue regardless of the underlying disease is primarily associated with hypersensitivity to inorganic and organic mercury, nickel, and gold(342,369,375,382). www.flcv.com/amalg6.html nickel and gold crowns are major factors in reducing pituitary function(35,50,369,etc.). Nickel has also been found to accumulate in the prostate and be related to prostate cancer(581). In some populations, as much as 40% are immune reactive to nickel www.melisa.org
    berniew1 37 Replies
    • December 18, 2008
    • 02:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :eek: im shocked i have never heard of anything like this before.! another member of the site did say that it may not have been the braces themselves but other things such as wi fi and mobile phones having reactions with the braces.... the person who 1st posed the topic said that he had his car, phone and internet taken away but didnt mention that he calmed down at all after that.... so maby it was just the braces ! :confused: strange
    STUDENTNURSEAIMEE 15 Replies
    • January 11, 2009
    • 03:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. My brother is 16 years old. Around February, he went completely nuts. His girlfriend had broken up with him two months before. He was until feb. but then started calling her, stalking her, and leaving her threatening messages. You would have to know him to know that this is NOT him. My parents took away his car, phone, and internet access. That mainly worked to keep him away from her. He started losing weight rapidly. As this progressed, he went from being a healthy sized teenager to skelatal within a month and a half. My mother caught him wondering through the house on several occasions dazed and confused not knowing where he was. He started talking about killing himself, and saying really off the wall things. That is kind of odd for a boy that just a month and a half before was wanting to be a youth pastor. My mother researched metal poisoning because she noticed that this all happened since he had gotten his braces. The doctors said she was crazy for awhile, and then finally did blood and hair tests. Sure enough, his metal levels were ridiculously high. His braces were IMMEDIATELY removed. The orthadontist did it for free, he felt really bad (although it's not like it was his fault). Jim has since returned to normal. He eats again, no more amnesia, rage, depression, he has even gotten most of his friends back.The only side effects that he still has are occasional half-body numbness. Anyways... I just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever goes through a similar experience and can't find anything on it. Do you think that the numbness could be a result of metals still left in his system? Yes you need to do a hair follicle test. I too have have had metal poisoning from metal braces and my daughter is going through the same thing at the moment so we are having them removed.
    kitty01 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • My journey in 2006 at age 42 with Orthodontic braces became a nightmare. About four months into my treatment I developed chronic neck and back pain and got no releif from chriopractic or physio. Then I developed chronic nausa, vomitting, diarohea, blurred vision and facial flushes. This ended up taking over my life and no doctor could diagnose my condition. In Dec of 07 my braces were removed and my health improved in two weeks and I no longer suffer with these symptoms. I never associated my braces with my ill health untill my daughter aged 11 was four months into her braces treatment. She has been afficted with the the same symptoms that I experienced. My suspicions grew as I search back through my diary notes and their was to much of a coindience. We have completed a hair follicle test which has confirmed "metal poisioning" She is having her braces removed a.s.ap. I have placed my daughter on charcol capsules at night to soak up the residues in her gut releiving her from some of the unpleasant systoms of nausea, adbominal cramps and vomitting, but these are not recommed for long term use in children. In our experience orthodontic braces had totally ruined our intestinal health, giving us digestive complications. I would encourage anyone to do a hair follicle test prior to the fitting of braces and monitor their health as the months progress. If complications become aparent repeat the hair follice test to determine metal toxicity.
    kitty01 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • As a sidenote:This is a flagrant lie, and this person is a scam artist. Just so everyone knows.BOBWICK should investigate before trashing people who know the truth."The pro-oxidative effects of the metals are compounded by the fact that the metals also inhibit antioxidative enzymes and deplete intracellular glutathione. The metals also have the potential to disrupt the metabolism and biological activities of many proteins due to their high affinity for free sulfhydryl groups. Cysteine has a pivotal role in inducible, endogenous detoxication mechanisms in the body, and metal exposure taxes cysteine status."Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9727078There is more research in Cysteine and Glutathione depletion that causes many of these unknown health issues.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Wow! Thanks for this information. I am taking my daughter, 13, for a consult for braces. I have metal fillings in my mouth and have not been tested but suspect I have metal poisioning and am taking clay to help remove the toxic chemicals. I may try the charcoal but am wondering what to do about the braces. I cannot afford the plastic ones unless I find someone comparable. I guess I need to do some research, thanks so much because I was searching for neurological problems for myself and came across this post...YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER FOR POSTING THIS INFORMATION!!!!PEACE AND BLESSINGS...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • This sounds similar to what my brother had. Do you think the issue of metal poisoning is being confused with normal "teenage hormones"?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 23, 2009
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. My brother is 16 years old... my sister got braces and now, about 3 weeks later, she has"a bad taste in my mouth""diziness all throughout the day"appetite losscan't sleep at nightcold/hot periodsits been going on only for a day or two so far but i don't want to "wait and see"i wonder if it could be from the braces?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 24, 2009
    • 09:06 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes you need to do a hair follicle test. I too have have had metal poisoning from metal braces and my daughter is going through the same thing at the moment so we are having them removed. I have worked as an environmental engineer for over 22 years. If I would visit a facility that was storing metal outside, even stainless steel, the facility would be required to monitory the stormwater for metals. Under wet conditions metal ions leach. In acidic-wet conditions, metals ions leach more readily. What will happen to metal in your mouth??
    pleeryan 1 Replies
    • October 24, 2009
    • 06:19 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement