Discussions By Condition: Repiratory conditions

Chlorine/ammonia odor when I breathe

Posted In: Repiratory conditions 75 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 9, 2006
  • 04:13 PM

I recently have the sensation of smelling a chlorine or ammonia type odor when I breathe through my nose. Any ideas? Thanks:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

75 Replies:

• I, too, have had this problem during the past several months and today I decided to try to find info here because it is bothering me alot today. Anybody have any suggestins? Thank you
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 28, 2006
    • 05:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently have the sensation of smelling a chlorine or ammonia type odor when I breathe through my nose. Any ideas? Thanks:confused:I to have had this problem over ther last 5-6 mths. It started as a faint cigarette smell and has worsened to the extreme that my eyes burn.Have you noticed any change in urine output or urgency to urinate, changes in bowel habits or back pain?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2006
    • 09:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently have the sensation of smelling a chlorine or ammonia type odor when I breathe through my nose. Any ideas? Thanks:confused:I had something very very similar. Turned out to be an abcessed tooth that needed a root canal.ballywhom
    ballywhom 3 Replies
    • September 30, 2006
    • 01:55 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I spoke(wrote) to soon. During the time I was smelling/breathing the same ammonia/toxic like odor, I went to the ER had CT Scan of the brain, the scan was negataive. I also went to an Ear Nose & Throat doctor, no connection. At the same time I had a root canal performed on the abcessed tooth. That was back in August. Now the same odor seems to be returning again ever so slightly. If you find out anything please, please let us know.
    ballywhom 3 Replies
    • October 1, 2006
    • 01:32 PM
    Flag this Response
  • have your kidney function checked out asap. this happened to me and i had blood work done only to find out that i was in kidney failure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2006
    • 06:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the smell of ammonia now for about 6 months. It's like fumes coming from my nose. It's really starting to bother me. I have been seeing a doctor, and he says he's never heard of my symptoms. He's ordered blood work that I have had done, and so far, everything has come back normal.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 04:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My problem has deminshed considerably. No Doctor was able to diagnois my problem either. The best that I can determine is that my problem may have stemed from dental issues, i.e. begining of an abcess and periodontal problems leading to root canals. It still worries me in that every once in a while the smell of an ammonia like odor comes up in my nostrils, sometimes after bending down.
    ballywhom 3 Replies
    • December 31, 2006
    • 09:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had this problem for 3+ years.I saw a neurologist who said that it was epilepsy. Two years of terrible medicine only to find I was misdiagnosed. Now they dont know what it is. I have seen an ENT with no help. It is most pronounced when I finish exercising.Internet is my last resort to find a reason.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Candida yeast infection
  • I found this online and posted it for you. Hugs Shirley:) If you have ever had a tube inserted in your stomach through your mouth or nose, you may have experienced "fecal odor" in your breath. This can also occur when there is a bowel obstruction or prolonged period of vomiting. An ammonia or fishlike odor can be associated with chronic kidney failure also known as chronic renal failure.:(
    Shirley M 21 Replies Flag this Response
  • check this out...http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6187.htmlfound it while surfing the same topic.I would love to think that my same situation could be cured by one week of amoxicillin rather that a kidney transplant!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have had this chlorine smell for the past week. I thought it was the shirt I was wearing or that it was comming from somthing around me. I do not know if it is related to other problems I am having. I have had pain in both sides of my back like a sore muscle that won't go away. My feet burn and are worse at night. Muscle spasms mainly in shoulders and legs, my right leg almost constantly. I feel like I have a fever all the time and have night sweats. All this since September 2006. The left side of my chest hurts like there is ton of weight on it or like a big balloon in my chest. I think this is a seperate problem becaise I was a heavy smoker. Chest has hurt since July 2002 and has slowly been getting worse (sometimes feels better for a while after antibiotics then comes back). I think it is my lung because I was a heavy smoker. The doctor says I just have anxiety. Fun. I just found this website and it is the best site I have found. I wish I knew about it long time ago.
  • I have had this chlorine smell for the past week. I thought it was the shirt I was wearing or that it was comming from somthing around me. I do not know if it is related to other problems I am having. I have had pain in both sides of my back like a sore muscle that won't go away. My feet burn and are worse at night. Muscle spasms mainly in shoulders and legs, my right leg almost constantly. I feel like I have a fever all the time and have night sweats. All this since September 2006. I think this is a seperate problem but.. The left side of my chest hurts like there is ton of weight on it or like a big balloon in my chest. Chest has hurt since July 2002 and has slowly been getting worse (sometimes feels better for a while after antibiotics then comes back). I think it is my lung because I was a heavy smoker. The doctor says I just have anxiety. Fun. I just found this website and it is the best site I have found. I wish I knew about it long time ago.
    SickPuppy 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • mine was kidney failure too!!!
  • Take a look at this link. It may answer the question for some of you.http://www.devinesports.com/Article.7+M5892d0e6168.0.html?&cHash=ed66b943ea
  • Ammonia smell only occured in myself for perhaps two days concurent with and followed by moderate fever. Thereafter the nature of the odor changed to a sort of rotten smell. There was a definite odor of pus coming from my nostrils according to my girlfriend. As noted by someone else the odor is more pronounced following exercise. Out of necessity I have started self treatment with antibiotics (Keflex) this seems to be doing the trick. I believe dental issues could be involved as I had a minor tooth ache prior to the above symptoms.
  • BINGO!!! I'M CURED!!!!!!!A zillion thanks to whoever posted this web page:http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6187.html. After doing a blood test for thehelicobactor pylori bacteria, my doctor said there's a 50% chance I was infected. Said we can try Prev Pack (the same one week course Dr. Mirkin describes). You simply take these pills sequentially for a week. And so I did. POOF! No more odor that was driving me and my co-workers insane! One or more of these pills may dry out your skin and hair the way it did me, but you must stay the course. Also, a pharmacist who writes a column in Newsday said that daily consumption of honey (not sugar) halts the growth of H Pylori. I'm going for that too.
  • I have had this problem for 3+ years.I saw a neurologist who said that it was epilepsy. Two years of terrible medicine only to find I was misdiagnosed. Now they dont know what it is. I have seen an ENT with no help. It is most pronounced when I finish exercising.Internet is my last resort to find a reason.I only get mine when overstressed or after exercising. It isn't on my body though, just in my sinuses and nostrils. Almost a talc like smell and then it goes away. I can smell Tylenol so I always thought it was a medicine smell from my blood pressure pills.
  • I had the same sypmtoms and it turned out to be renal failure.
  • I had the same sypmtoms and it turned out to be renal failure.So you just had the smell and it was renal failure?I hope that isn't true. I've never heard that as a symptom and would think there would be alot more to it. I've never had diabetes or heart disease or renal problems such as kidneys not functioning. It seems some people want to get people anxious.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement