Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

UTI symptoms but no bacteria in urine

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: alixthestar
  • July 16, 2007
  • 09:34 PM

Oh my god!!! I cant seem to get rid of this feeling that I have to pee .. Ive always had this problem. UTI symptoms but no bacteria since I was little and now Im 22 and I STILL get them all the time.. when I was little I started calling it "the pee-pee problem" and everytime it hits I call my mom and tell my boyfriend I have the "pee-pee problem" again and I usually cry.... I actually had to stay home from work AGAIN. Im soooo very close to losing my job. Actually Im probably going to get fired for calling in today.. When I get a cold or if Im sick throwing up I go to work because I know that I will end up getting the symptoms of a UTI and have to call out of work then. When I go to the doctor the test always comes back negative. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im starting to get really depressed because I just want to be normal I just want to feel okay... The only thing that I can do is sit on the toliet for hours playing sudkou puzzles until the feeling goes away. My boyfriend gets mad at me saying that Im sick -all the time.. If its not a UTI what is it. And how can I get better so I can keep my job and pay my bills. If I get fired Im probaby going to have to move back home and that will make me even more depressed.. God, what can I do?:mad:

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• Well, it could be fungal, like yeast infections and also dehydration. Try drinking more water (half your body weight in ounces, so if you weigh 130lbs drink 65 ounces of water A DAY, yes a day), try eating sugar free yogurt or taking acidophilus pills. I'm a guy and I get that problem when I don't drink enough water... kind of burns when you don't have to pee? But when you pee it doesn't hurt? Yeah that's fungal, (aka jock itch or yeast infections), and it's mild. If it's chronic you could have candidas overgrowth. Which you would need to do a cleanse of some kind and decrease your sugar intake. Ask your doctor about candidas overgrowth!
    samwofABQ 8 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi -I went through this awhile back, and would suggest immediate visits to your OB/GYN AND a urologist. But before you do that, you may want to check with your regular doc - when they test your urine, do they do a simple "in office" test or do they send your urine out for a culture? In your case, I'm guessing they probably send it out, but I used to get recurrent UTIs that went undiagnosed for a long time because the in-office test was not sensitive enough to pick up certain types/amounts of bacteria and they never sent it out until I insisted, then we discovered massive, recurrent infections by a rare bacteria. I think the first thing would be to ask for your urine to be "sent out for a culture" if it hasn't been done already. Then, SEE A UROLOGIST AND an OB/GYN!!! Make sure you get screened for Interstitial Cystitis, Overactive Bladder, and all STDs. OB/GYNs are reallygood with screening for STDs, UTIs, and Interstitial Cystitis, whereas most general docs aren't. STDs can cause all kinds of urinary symptoms (and can even infect the urinary tract). Might be a long shot, since you've had the problems since you were little, but I would check that out anyway. Interstitial Cystitis and Overactive Bladder can cause really debilitating, constant/frequent urination (and sometimes pain too I think)... they can be treated, and there are other congenital bladder defects a urologist can look for that could cause your symptoms too.An over the counter med called Uristat might help you too - it's a mild antispasmodic and urinary pain reliever - it helps me A LOT, it might cut down on days you have to call in to work. However, make sure you get screened for a UTI thoroughly first, and still check with your doc before using it, cuz Uristat can mask symptoms of a really serious problem, so I'd only use it when absolutely necessary.Hope at least some of this helps!Good luck!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Ask your doctor about candidas overgrowth! Unless your doctor is enlightened about candida I wouldn't bother asking him/her. Most Western antifungal meds are toxic and often do not get the candida under control IME. Google candida and look at various websites - there is a saliva test you can do at home that, although not definitive, can tell you if you have a candida concern. Please read the thread on Chronic BV as it tells of a great home remedy using plain yogurt and a probiotic capsule - works great for urinary discomfort as well as candida and bacterial infections. My last thought is that your UTI symptoms may be caused by an allergy - this is very common, and usually underdiagnosed. Please look into a treatment called NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique) it can be very helpful. I am an acupuncturist and have treated my own urinary problems through NAET and acupuncture - it is wonderful for genitourinary problems. Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Yeah I've been trying the whole yogurt/probiotic capsule, I'm just afraid it's spread too much so that it won't be cured unless I take some kind of internal medicine that will cleanse my body of the overgrowth. I'm taking everything I can take to rid myself of it... I only haven't tried complete cleanses or going on the no sugar diet...
    samwofABQ 8 Replies Flag this Response
  • My first thought was interstitial cystitis also. Go to a urologist and your gyn.
    rad-skw 1,605 Replies Flag this Response
  • Try changing all your underpants to cotton only. This helps the area "breathe" and prevents moisture. You could try taking lactobacillus acidophilus capsules or chew tablets, which most pharmacies have. The theory is that it changes the pH level (acid/base balance) of the urinary tract. Make sure you follow the instructions. This worked wonders for me. Good luck!
    aquila 1,263 Replies Flag this Response
  • since ur a female, if ur worried about leaking during the day u should just wear a pantiliner or a light days maxi pad during the day. that way if something happens u wont be worried.
  • I'm going through the same thing right now. I have had recurrent UTIs for about 10 years. My last one was horrible, it took two weeks for it to go away. I was put on Bactrim and Cipro. I had to go to the ER one night because the antibiotics were not working and I was in so much pain. I made an appointment with my physician, hoping to be put on something propholactic and she checked my two cultures from the hospital and told me there was no bacteria in my urine. She referred me to the urologist, but the earliest they can see me is a month and a half away.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2009
    • 03:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Your symptoms sounds like intersticial cystitis. The symptoms you are describing are the same symptoms i have been living with for 3 years. I currently take elmiron 200mg twice a day. It took 6months to work but it's a miracle drug. I also follow a low acid food diet. (i sometimes cheat and do ok) talk to your primary doctor about getting a ob/gyn referral to r/o vaginal infections, std's, or any other female issues. If that all comes back ok, ask to see a urologist. The uroligist can do some tests to see if ic is your problem or if it's something else. I wish you the best of luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 25, 2009
    • 04:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • a half dozen acupuncture treatments would help you a lot.
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • December 26, 2009
    • 06:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I HAVE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!! I have to sit in mysery for 15 minutes to 2 hours sometimes cause it gets so bad. I've had it for 7 years now and i have lost jobs over it and my social life really suffers because of it. No one knows what it is, the doctors are totally in the dark.I've tried every medication out there, antibiotics, pain pills... even seen a psychyatrist. It's not a UTI, intersticial cystitis or any of those other problems and its SUPER uncomfortable.So for 1 year i watched it carefuly and kept a journal of what i ate/drank and when symptoms flaired up. I started to notice it was worse when i drank or ate sugar. I COMPLETELY eliminated all sugar drinks from my diet and drank a **** ton of H2O... and it completely went away. 1 month later i drank some sunny D at a friends house and the next day when i went pee i was in total pain. So I drank h20 again for 2 weeks then i screwed up and had a jack and COKE... guess what??? yeah the stupid "pee pee problem" came back.So try to stop drinking junk... JUST DRINK H2O!!! nothing else, even cranberry juice. it'll help, I promise.e-mail me for more help: Bgazia@gmail.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 25, 2010
    • 09:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This kind of issue is no reason for someone to loose a job. Many people have incontience (including my adult daughter who's bladder constantly dribbles) and there are incontience products out there in which you could be wearing to avoid having to sit on a toilet for hrs. Yeah i know.. very embarrassing... but many out there have this kind of issue and they dont let it stop them living life. Do whatever you need to be doing so you can continue leading a full and active life........ (i once had diarrhea so severely due to my medical conditions, and had to catch a plane.. so ended up having to buy nappies to wear for the flight!!!).
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • August 26, 2010
    • 02:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Our problem is that we go for cures without correct diagnosis. I suffered from the pee-pee problem sometimes when I was a kid. But few and far between and they usually went away soon. But they were really really annoying anyway. I got married 3 years ago, and suddenly after about 2 months of marriage, they started... THIS TIME VERY FREQUENTLY AND SO PAINFULL THAT I COULDN'T STOP FROM CRYING OUTLOUD! so to the doctors and laboratories I go... For one whole year I suffered. Tests, horrible antibiotics with terrible side effects, sonographies ... Doctors told me anything from being stress-related, being overweight, just your body's physiology that could change over time or by events such as pregnancy, ...They would see my test results, and hear my history, and come to those conclusions.Finally an OBY/GYN, just observing routine, happened to exam my cervix. I HAD A CERVICAL SORE! The uterus' cervix and the bladder are very close to each other. The cervical sore was causing inflammation in my bladder!THE POINT is that you don't feel your cervix, just like you don't feel lots of other things in your body, like your food being digested, your heart beating, ...The sore was treated by cryosurgery (commonly known as freezing). It healed. My UTI symptoms went away a month later!UNBELIEVABLE for me :-)SUGGESTION: Start with an MRI. They are excellent, not harmful as opposed to x-rays, and they acheive wonderful results for soft tissue such as the bladder, ...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2010
    • 04:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Oh my god!!! I cant seem to get rid of this feeling that I have to pee .. Ive always had this problem. UTI symptoms but no bacteria since I was little and now Im 22 and I STILL get them all the time.. when I was little I started calling it "the pee-pee problem" and everytime it hits I call my mom and tell my boyfriend I have the "pee-pee problem" again and I usually cry.... I actually had to stay home from work AGAIN. Im soooo very close to losing my job. Actually Im probably going to get fired for calling in today.. When I get a cold or if Im sick throwing up I go to work because I know that I will end up getting the symptoms of a UTI and have to call out of work then. When I go to the doctor the test always comes back negative. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im starting to get really depressed because I just want to be normal I just want to feel okay... The only thing that I can do is sit on the toliet for hours playing sudkou puzzles until the feeling goes away. My boyfriend gets mad at me saying that Im sick -all the time.. If its not a UTI what is it. And how can I get better so I can keep my job and pay my bills. If I get fired Im probaby going to have to move back home and that will make me even more depressed.. God, what can I do?:mad:I had it too. I got it real bad after marriage.Tests? ALWAYS negative.Antibiotics? Useless. Side effects: Terrible.Try: Two acetaminophen codeine pills. Just two. 5 minutes after it starts. (you might need to ask a doctor to prescribe it, even though it is just 2 pills.)If it goes away with that, it means it was an inflammation.Mine was caused by this: The bladder and the uterus are very closely located. I had a cervical sore on my uterus. The sore would cause inflammation on my bladder.The point: is that you can not feel your cervix. Just like you can not feel lots of other things in your body, like your food being digested, your blood passing through your veins, ...I couldn't feel the sore. An OBY/GYN did a routine exam, cured the sore by cryosurgery (they actually freeze the sore). I DIDN'T HAVE SEX FOR ABOUT A MONTH AFTER THE CRYO, AND AFTER THAT I STOPPED GETTING THE UTI SYMPTOMS! It was unbelievable.The doctors had told me things like: you are overweight, it could be caused by stress, it's just the physiology of your body and can change overtime or after an event like pregnancy, ....I hope it works. If not, take an MRI. They are excellent for soft tissues, and practically unharmful, at least not even near to as much as x-rays are harmful.Hope it helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2010
    • 04:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My 9 year old daughter has the same exact symptoms, and tests reveal no bacteria in her urine. If anyone has a diagnosis for this, please let me know. Our pediatrician is at a loss.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 2, 2010
    • 10:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have always have Uti since I gave birth to my baby three years ago... The pain was so severe, I can't leave the bath for hours I just keep splashing water on myself to relieve the pain... I have taken several antibiotics and cranberry juice but none of these prevent reoccurrence. One day I pray to God with my heart to cure this Uti and God answered... I was permanently healed from Uti
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 28, 2010
    • 00:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have been suffering from almost the exact same thing as you!!It started when I was about 9 years old... i went to naturopaths who put me on sugar free diets, yeast free diets, metals, minerals and herbal remedies. Finally my mum took me to my paediatrician who said it was probably being caused by a lack of estrogen and that once i hit puberty it would sort itself out. which it did, until about 1 and a half years ago. I am now 19 and have put up with 2 or 3 bouts of UTI symptoms each month!! it starts off as a slight burning, almost a tingling around my vagina, then moves to a severe burn around the whole pelvic area and right down my thighs and up my stomach. Then it turns into an unbearable cramping and pain in my lower abdomen.I have had countless urine culture test in labs that all come back 100% negative to any bacterial infection or growth of any sort. I have however, been prescribed antibiotics, starting with alprim 200mg and now keflex 500mg to make the symptoms go away :( The last time i took keflex it took alost a whole day to work and they are STRONG antibiotics so it is quite worrying... what am i gonna do when even the keflex doesn't help??I am booked in to see a urologist in April and I'm just praying to God that she has an answer because like you, I know I am becoming depressed. It just seems like with each new "UTI" a little piece of my resilience and hope is destroyed and i'm a little further into the abyss :(I am so thankyou I have found people with the same problem as me... it means so much just to know that you're not the only one in the world and that you're not making it up and you're not CRAZY like some doctors make you feel that you are!!suggestions welcome... i'm willing to try anything...xox
  • I was recently in a hot tub on vacation and 2 days later I started having symptoms of a UTI. After having these symptoms for 2 weeks and the last week I've been taking Bactrim, I'm still NOT any better. The pressure is horrible. The constant desire to urinate is always there and burns all the time except for when i'm actually urinating. (That feels relieving). I've also been on pyridium, with no help really. All that does is make my urine orange, and i'm still having the urge all the time. My dr. says if the bactrim doesn't work by the end of this week that he wants me to see a urologist. I have a feeling that I should see my gyno first because i think I'm having pressure from maybe a cyst on my ovaries or something to that effect. Something is causing this pressure on my bladder. With no infection in my urine, it would seem that the UTI diagnosis is out the door for me. Maybe my gyno can do a ultrasound and see if anything looks suspicious with cysts. I'm lost and really don't know how to deal with this. First time I've ever had this problem and I'm 42. I have had a hysterectomy and the gyno had left in my ovaries because they looked very healthy, but that's been 8 years ago. Help please anybody?
  • I have been through two months of this now. Got a UTI then they put me on 3 different antibiotics, finally doxycycline fixed it - but still had symptoms afterwards - bladder spasms I guess it is. I think though, that I 'burned" my bladder area or something with all the cranberry juice and pills I took for three weeks straight with not much food. My system became over acidified. They gave me oxybutynin and that helps at night so I don't go so much. But still the burning is there and the urgency. SO I have done some experimenting - I have found that YES my body is over acid because when I eat alkaline foods it almost subsides completely. But if I mess up and accidently eat something acidic, it comes back. I think I am at a high volatile stage right now - I don't think it will be like this permanently - I think eventually my system will rebalance, but it takes much diligence here! So far I have had the best luck with lecithin granules dissolved in hot water. I drink this like tea and it makes it feel better within thirty minutes. I sip lemon in water during the day. I only eat veggies and some fruits. I can't have much protein yet and it's killing me. I hate this. It is ****. I just found out about ALFALFA - TAKE IT! If you need to be alkaline, take these capsules immediately. DON"T DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE. It will start the whole cycle over again. About ALFALFA: " It is beneficial to who have kidney or bladder trouble because it makes excretion of the kidney less acid and therefore less irritating to the urinary tract. The U.S.Dept. of Agriculture states that while the average fruit or vegetable is from one to ten units alkaline, alfalfa is 130 units alkaline. This alkaline nature makes the use of anti-acid tablets for digestion unnecessary"  http://www.barefoot-sun.com/2004/09/alfalfa-great-healer.html  God bless and fast healing to you all who have this. You have my prayers and I hope this helps.
  • I had this! I went through about 5 weeks of doctors, then my own research and trial and error. I found ALOT out. First I think I had a UTI, and they put me on three different antibiotics for 3 weeks. I think I was actually cured but I still kept having bladder spasms. I still don't know if it's bladder spasms or interstitial cystitis (IC) but I have found out much that helps it. I did not have bacteria in my urinalysis the whole time. After the Cephalexin, Nitrofuraten (sp!), then Doxycycline they gave me Oxybutinin to stop the spasms so I could sleep at night. At this point I was feeling the constant need to pee and some burning after peeing. The Oxybutinin helped ALOT but I didn't like the side effects and I hate drugs. I probably did have a UTI at first because after about 2 days of the last two antibiotics the pain subsided and I thought I was on the mend. The third night of one of them I thought I was getting better so I had a huge meal and some spicy food in it. The next day it was worse all over again. I was really confused (this was before I learned about how the bladder can still spasm AFTER your UTI). Now I see I triggered the flare with the food I ate. IT"S ALL ABOUT THE FOOD. My body was too acidic from drinking three weeks plus of cranberry juice, AZO cranberry pills, yogurt and water. Bladder spasms can be triggered when your body is too acidic. Imagine peeing acid - that is what is happening. You have to alkalize your system, and it takes a while. (This might not be the case for everyone of course, but this is just my situation, and I suspect many other women have the same thing but do not understand it and feel helpless, like I did). I researched the HIGHEST alkaline foods and I ate them. Immediately I felt better. I started out with alfalfa pills, which have a huge alkalizing effect. Then I found this numeric system given to some foods from highest alkalizing to lower: FIGS-30, MOLASSES -18, OLIVES (green or ripe)-16, LIMA BEANS-12, SOYBEANS-12, APRICOTS-9.5. The whole list of the highest alkaline foods is here http://www.methowacupuncture.net/resources/Acid-Alkaline%20Balance.pdf I noticed it was like night and day when I made an alkaline food concoction of a big bowl of raisins, pumpkin seeds, lecithin granules, brewers yeast, molasses, and drizzled with over a TBS of olive oil. I ate that and the burning and urgency subsided. This alkaline thing is no joke. I also have started taking bromelain and quercetin to reduce the bladder inflammation. This is an excellent article explaining why the GAG layer of your bladder gets inflamed and how these two natural supplements help that:http://www.icnaturally.com/Articles-Brom_Quercetin.html I got to this point of information from this wonderful lady who blogged about her bladder spasms and explained what to do. As soon as I took her advice and stopped drinking cranberry juice (HIGHLY acidic, that is why it's great for a UTI - but NOT bladder spasms) and everything else she instructed, I have been feeling MUCH better. This is what she advises: http://sherryhewins.hubpages.com/hub/UTI-Symptoms-but-no-Bacteria-My-ExperienceThis bladder thing is so horrible - it makes you frantic, unable to focus, despondent, and it's frustrating beyond comprehension. I swore I would post what I found out regarding what helped to fix this so others could benefit! I don't know if I will get all the way better but the above lady blogger says you will get better and this will pass, so have faith. God bless to all with this and I send you wisdom and healing - I hope this helps, and thanks to all the above that have helped me :)
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement