Discussions By Condition: Ears, Nose, Mouth & Throat conditions

throat pain in right side

• Posted By: poolakb
  • July 12, 2007
  • 01:17 PM

Hello all,

For last 2 months , I am facing a pain in rightside of my throat - it pains in my right ear also as well. I live in Japan and visited all nearby ENT doctors. Scope thru nose some spoonlike instruments, checking thru nose - all say no infection, no tumor, no cancer. But the pain comes and goes.

It has something to do with some kind of food - grapefruit juice starts the pain whereas cold water or cold coffee does not. Solid food may or may not start - kind of unpredictable but sickening. Sometime, even without any food, it has a subdued pain .

I do have a muscle pain in my right shoulder and one doctor pushes my right and left neck and pain is more in the right side. He said it is due to muscle pain - not to worry, has given me some rusty color liquid to gurle with in warm water.

I can imagine the muscle pain being the cause, but what confues me why it happens with some kind of food and not for others. In fact, I have seen 3 ENT all doing the same scoping coming out with nothing - they tell me to ignore this pain:)

I am worried about larynx cancer and I have no clue what to do.

Can somebody give me some direction please?

Thank you.

Poolak

Yokohama / Japan

Reply Flag this Discussion

8 Replies:

• I was having the same problem. Always pain on the right side and then recently it got really bad and my throat (and all the way down my esophagus) was so bad that I could not eat or drink anything but sips for a whole week. It turned out to be Acid Reflux so bad the acids in my stomach had burnt my throat and esophagus. The reason it was on my right side is because that is the side that I sleep on. My doctor prescribed for me to take nexium in the morning and in the evening to try and heal the problem. I hope this helps you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hey Moniqrm, did the Nexium help you?Did the doctor ask you to stop eating certain foods too?
    dr_noooo 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am also having this problem but i get headaches and have a sore neck too, I had these problems for a month until my doctor presribed me ranidadine for the acids in my stomach that would cause pain in my throat and stomach. The pain went away for a week but has been back fior about a week and a half and drives me crazy. The weird thing is my symptomos are almost nonexistant late at night and sometimes after a good meal. I think it is aprobabyl acid reflux and i should refill my prescription of ranididine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 3, 2007
    • 11:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • GERD Have it diagnosed by endoscopy. Good Luck Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 4, 2007
    • 04:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same symptoms. It is not GERD or acid reflux. I have an appointment to swallow a light. I cannot drink sodas anymore. Certain foods bring mine on too. It starts as a pain in the right side of my neck. It will also move down to the bottom of my right shoulder. It can hurt so bad I feel like taking something to make me pass out until it is over. I hope the Dr can find out what it is and I hope it is not the "C" word.Hope you get better too!SincerelyEllie
  • I am also having this problem but i get headaches and have a sore neck too, I had these problems for a month until my doctor presribed me ranidadine for the acids in my stomach that would cause pain in my throat and stomach. The pain went away for a week but has been back fior about a week and a half and drives me crazy. The weird thing is my symptomos are almost nonexistant late at night and sometimes after a good meal. I think it is aprobabyl acid reflux and i should refill my prescription of ranididineThat's interesting, I have the same problem. I've been taking Ranidadine for around 6 years now for Gerd. I too do not feel it at night, or after I eat. Drinking liquids makes it feel better as well. I feel the burning in the morning if I eat too late at night, or have a couple beer. I recently have been ill, earaches, headaches, dizzy, sinus infections, lung infections, eye infections, you name it. Iv'e had all this for just over 5 weeks now. I was on Biaxin, which took most of the pains away, but I still have problems in my left ear, my lungs, my sinuses. Two days ago, my throat started hurting again, but not the same pain. It's not like the sore throat you get with a cold, it's a pain in my throat, along the right side of my asophogist. Sorry for the spelling, spell checker isn't working. Anyway, the pain is there constantly. It hurts more is I lay on my left side, if I cough, if I bend down, if I look up. It's hurts to touch my neck, right beside my adam's apple.
  • That's interesting, I have the same problem. I've been taking Ranidadine for around 6 years now for Gerd. I too do not feel it at night, or after I eat. Drinking liquids makes it feel better as well. I feel the burning in the morning if I eat too late at night, or have a couple beer. I recently have been ill, earaches, headaches, dizzy, sinus infections, lung infections, eye infections, you name it. Iv'e had all this for just over 5 weeks now. I was on Biaxin, which took most of the pains away, but I still have problems in my left ear, my lungs, my sinuses. Two days ago, my throat started hurting again, but not the same pain. It's not like the sore throat you get with a cold, it's a pain in my throat, along the right side of my asophogist. Sorry for the spelling, spell checker isn't working. Anyway, the pain is there constantly. It hurts more is I lay on my left side, if I cough, if I bend down, if I look up. It's hurts to touch my neck, right beside my adam's apple.Hello i am from santa cruz, ca, i have read all your coments in regards thsi pain. I am worrie and scared going to the dotor to get check , "C" is sacare. Also it hurts more in the nigth, even sometimes when i bosing, I cant opend my mouth wide, cause it hurts, all my muscles in teh rigth side. I amplanig to se a doctor. any sugestion for now to take care this issue.
  • Hello i am from santa cruz, ca, i have read all your coments in regards thsi pain. I am worrie and scared going to the dotor to get check , "C" is sacare. Also it hurts more in the nigth, even sometimes when i bosing, I cant opend my mouth wide, cause it hurts, all my muscles in teh rigth side. I amplanig to se a doctor. any sugestion for now to take care this issue.I am from Jersey and I have been experiencing this pain on my right side for a few months now, the pain is in my throat, ear and over my eye (all right side) and I do have shoulder & back pain on the right side. I am waiting to be scheduled for a CT neck with contrast and am so scared, this is going to be really serious. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 4, 2010
    • 11:00 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement