Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Swollen left foot

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: chupri
  • July 8, 2007
  • 08:18 PM

I'm a 78 year-old male with mild hypertension and premature ventricular contractions -- all well controlled w/Nadolol - 60MG and do have osteoarthritis. I do not have any other diseases of the heart and I am not diabetic. I've been to my internist, cardiologist, and orthopedist. I went to a podiatrist who 'thinks' I might have "Charcot Foot" but this is very unlikely as I have not had any trauma in my recent, or not so recent, past to my foot or any other portion of my anatomy, and have none of the other symptoms associated with Charcot, except that there is some mild soreness on the top of the foot. I did 'throw a clot' 4 years ago in my left ulnar artery as a result of some stresses associated with physical exertion and did experience "Syncope" in January 2005. The podiatrist prescribed "Voltaren" which I have not taken as I am 'aged' and do have hypertension which are contraindicated for "Voltaren;" i.e., I don't need a stroke or heart attack.

I do take Ibuprophen, asprin, vitamin C, Ginkoba, saw palmetto, calcium, a multi-vitamin and glucosamin-chondoitin

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• I'm a 78 year-old male with mild hypertension and premature ventricular contractions -- all well controlled w/Nadolol - 60MG and do have osteoarthritis. I do not have any other diseases of the heart and I am not diabetic.I've been to my internist, cardiologist, and orthopedist. I went to a podiatrist who 'thinks' I might have "Charcot Foot"but this is very unlikely as I have not had any trauma in my recent, or not so recent, past to my foot or any other portion of my anatomy, and have none of the other symptoms associated with Charcot, except that there is some mild soreness on the top of the foot. I did 'throw a clot' 4 years ago in my left ulnar artery as a result of some stresses associated with physical exertion and did experience "Syncope" in January 2005. The podiatrist prescribed "Voltaren" which I have not taken as I am 'aged' and do have hypertension which are contraindicated for "Voltaren;" i.e., I don't need a stroke or heart attack. I do take Ibuprophen, asprin, vitamin C, Ginkoba, saw palmetto, calcium, a multi-vitamin and glucosamin-chondoitinDid you have xrays taken of your "sore" foot?Multiple stress fractures can occur without your knowledge or "trauma" if you have neuropathy, which you did NOT mention.You are correct that (most) often Charcot foot cases have diabeties.Charcot is serious and agressively progresses. Please seek a second opinion immediately.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2007
    • 08:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • this is so odd im a 37 yr old woman and i have the same problem and my doc cant figure it out whats the problem my left foot has been swollen for over 3yrs now and still no diagnosis ye t and im worried but my doc did mention lymphedema but i dont know where to go from here there could be other underlying issues so im still searching
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 22, 2007
    • 08:59 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement