Discussions By Condition: Bone conditions

after effects of broken femur??

Posted In: Bone conditions 168 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 5, 2007
  • 05:53 PM

i recently broke my femur in a car accident on 6/12/07.. the doctor did surgery and put a titanium rod in my leg.. ive been told im healing quickly and doing all the necesary follow up therapy.. im 19 years old and im wondering how this injury/titanium rod will affect me down the road and what i can do to prevent it.. thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I know this isn't really an answer to your question but i have a similiar case and i was wondering how u've progressed, im a 19 year old male and i broke my femur sept. 6th in a skateboarding accident, got the rod and what not, i was wondering what ur time framed looked like and how ur healing up
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2007
    • 07:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have a genetic brittle bone condition so maybe I can answer LOL I to have metal rods in my legs. anyways you should be fine other then the fact that your leg may hurt if it gets cold also might hurt when its humid before it rains ect. I can tell my legs hurt before it rains. you may have to be abit more careful with that leg due to the rod. Rods sometimes can dislodge and come out of its socket and pierce threw the skin if impacted too hard. but other then occasional pain due to weather, having to be abit more careful with that leg due to the rod, you should be fine. might take up to a year to fully heal though. Id not worry too much if I was you. i recently broke my femur in a car accident on 6/12/07.. the doctor did surgery and put a titanium rod in my leg.. ive been told im healing quickly and doing all the necesary follow up therapy.. im 19 years old and im wondering how this injury/titanium rod will affect me down the road and what i can do to prevent it.. thank you
    PixieMischief 16 Replies
    • October 4, 2007
    • 11:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for all your help, and to the rest reply it happened 6/12/07 and today is actually my last day of therapy aslong as everything is good with my leg. I walk with a slight limp still but my leg still isn't close to as strong as the other one, and you can tell just by looking at it. But other then that im walking fine, ive tried running a few times and its kinda tough so im just going to start working my legs in the gym alot more to try and get it back to as close as 100% i can. How are you holding up?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 4, 2007
    • 05:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You accident was in June and you just got off therapy in Oct? I just broke mine on 09/21/07. I guess it's gonna be a long wait..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2007
    • 04:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me. I broke my femur in a motorcycle accident March 2006 and I am still having lots of pain. I also broke my patela, fibia, and ankle. I was in a brace and no weight bearing status for 4 months before we started any therapy. It took a year to get the range of motion past 90 degrees. The pain seems to come and go but sometimes I can have an episode that puts me back on crutches for up to 2 weeks. Doctor is still trying to figure out why.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 27, 2007
    • 06:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my femur in june during baseball, a freak accident its crazy but i got off of crutches in august, i pushed my self alot because just sitting around all day can make you depressed and it being during the summer u not being able to do anything isnt that fun but i still experience some pain. its tolerable pain but like it just gets sore alot
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2007
    • 02:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my femur in October and had a femoral nail put in, and 2 months on the x-rays look exactly the same and it doesnt look like its healing much, although I can bend my knee a little more and it's not quite as painful. I've been told I could be on crutches for 6 months which is pretty depressing. Will it really take this long? How long realistically until I can run around and play sports again? I'm impatient to try out new things (like walking!) but don't want to do more damage. Any advice?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2007
    • 02:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I fractured my femur in 1976 at 17 and had a steel rod placed in it. It didn't heal at all and 15 months later I had a bone graft to stimulate bone growth, which worked. Within six months after that (20 months after the injury), I was completely healed and had no physical restrictions. Unless you have other complications, you should be fine within a year (or maybe you are already!).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 24, 2007
    • 05:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hmm, maybe it's different for each person. I broke my femur in a car accident five years ago, when I was 16. I had a metal rod put in the femur. I never went to physio - instead the doc gave me exercises and I got walking on it fine by myself, but about two years later it was getting to the point where I'd be sitting down and then when I went to get up, I couldn't move my leg. I had the pins in the hip and ankle taken out, and it helped, but I'm definitely still having problems - especially with changing pressure with weather etc. in two months I'm having the rod taken out as well - I just don't think it agrees with everyone. I suppose maybe if I had worked harder on building the muscle around it, it might have helped with stiffness, but not aches when it comes to weather changes
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 07:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i broke my femur sept 6 2007. Iam still in a lot of pain. i did 2 months of p.t. I dont feel like iam progressing. I have pain from my my knee to the upper part of my leg. I would like to know if ill ever be perfect again' I love to travel and i think iam grounded. Does anyone have these same symptom betty j
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • i broke my femur sept 6 2007. Iam still in a lot of pain. i did 2 months of p.t. I dont feel like iam progressing. I have pain from my my knee to the upper part of my leg. I would like to know if ill ever be perfect again' I love to travel and i think iam grounded. Does anyone have these same symptom betty jhello yes i broke my femur and hip on right side titan rod replac and part hip replace this just happened on march 14 2008 i did in home therapy after hosp stay non weight bearing 4 many many weeks pain in my groin leg hip cant do steps still using a walker at the age 29 this really sucks im 4'9 im limping around my house have not been 2 work i work at a hospital im going to have to give up my position im never gone walk norm again i was a passenger in my car my husband was driving he got stiches 2 his face the suv made a improper turn and struck my side of car ***n wish i could take this all back my husband has helped me hes been out of work the whole time with me please k.i.t progress seems like nothin. nicole nice 2 meet you
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I also fractured my femur on 01/20/2008. I was the driver and the ****er that was the passanger graddedheel and drove me off the road and into a tree. I guess I was lucky all I had was that, He is now paralized from the chest down. I also have a tat. rod. I haven't had any P.T. But I do walk now with out a walker. I still limp. It's been 7 months. I want to know if I will heal even though I didn't do the PT. and will I always walk with a limp. some please reply!!!hello yes i broke my femur and hip on right side titan rod replac and part hip replace this just happened on march 14 2008 i did in home therapy after hosp stay non weight bearing 4 many many weeks pain in my groin leg hip cant do steps still using a walker at the age 29 this really sucks im 4'9 im limping around my house have not been 2 work i work at a hospital im going to have to give up my position im never gone walk norm again i was a passenger in my car my husband was driving he got stiches 2 his face the suv made a improper turn and struck my side of car ***n wish i could take this all back my husband has helped me hes been out of work the whole time with me please k.i.t progress seems like nothin. nicole nice 2 meet you
  • You will probaly heal ok, but i suppose everyone is different. It took me over a year to be totally back to normal when i broke my femur about 10 years ago and got a rod. PT is basically stretching and strengthening your let. Do some exercise at home to help strengthen your muscles. I have no long term effects other than not being as fast while running. I am able to play softball, basketball, run, and ride BMX at the age of 30 with no problems. I do not walk with any limp.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 14, 2008
    • 04:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke my left femur April 2008. It snapped completely in half clean across the middle, and a titanium rod was put in with 2 screws down by the knee and 1 up by my hip. I missed one week of school due to a full week of dizziness everytime I would get up. After I got over that with alot of salty things and Gatorade, I went to school sitting in a wheelchair due to not being able to bend my leg. I went to physical therapy twice a week and gained full range of motion, was released to partial weight bearing fairly quick due to my work in PT. Soon was down to one crutch and soon no crutches around the house. Just last week I was fully cleared, almost exactly 6 months later. I am back to playing baseball, and will decide to get everything out this summer or leave it in forever.My growth plates are still open and I am 5' 11" 145lb, my decision will be based on if it bother me during my upcoming baseball seasons.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2008
    • 00:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, I'm glad I found this forum! I broke my femur two weeks ago and there is so little information. I slipped and fell and broke the femur right at the knee. A piece at the back completely broke off and I had to get surgery and titanium screws to put it back together. It was a weird fall and no Doc completely understands how it happened! It was broken 5 days until taken seriously... (extreme swelling above the knee which spread down my leg, it looked like even my ankle was broken and I still can't put on a shoe) I'm 23 and very healthy and active female so even I was surprised. Due to high activity in trauma ER at the time the doctor is still unsure of what other damage occurred at the knee (too swollen to tell out of surgery) so who knows if I need more surgery (worry is MCL, ACL or Meniscus). Has anyone had a similar break and can give some insight or advice? I'm told I can't bear weight for min 2 months and then I get tests on my actual knee for further injuries... I was given a heads up that it'll be 6 months until I can start to get back to normal if everything checks out and it was just the break.I'm starting to get that depressed feeling and am definately not looking forward to the long road ahead. All I know is I am planning a nice trip for the end of March to celebrate... give me something to plan and look forward to =).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 2, 2008
    • 00:09 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm starting to get that depressed feeling and am definately not looking forward to the long road ahead. All I know is I am planning a nice trip for the end of March to celebrate... give me something to plan and look forward to =).After 6 months I feel pretty much back to normal and am playing baseball almost fully normal. Haven't taken that first all out slide yet but think about it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And bone grows back stronger, so now you're new and improved. Cheer up, I know how it is those first few weeks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 3, 2008
    • 09:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • After 6 months I feel pretty much back to normal and am playing baseball almost fully normal. Haven't taken that first all out slide yet but think about it, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And bone grows back stronger, so now you're new and improved. Cheer up, I know how it is those first few weeks.Thanks!!!I had my first follow up at the docs and he said I can start bearing weight prob by the end of Nov, and ease into it over the 3rd month (glad it looks good already). He was concerned though because my knee still won't bend and that I may have further untreated internal damage (MCL,ACL, Meniscus) because of the amount of pain I have NOT where the break is. I can only bend my knee about two inches, and that because it just won't go, it'll spasm when I try, and my foot and ankle are still SO swollen! I get to start Physio this week which I'm looking forward to... bending my knee again will be a nice new relief... just hope nothing else is wrong!weirdest thing I just noticed is how much muscle I'm loosing though, I'm a very active person so it's scary to not see muscle... so I decided I'll have to result to dieting urg! Hahaha
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 02:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Had the same thing with my knee, you just really have to push it in PT, it'll feel like it won't want to go you just have to MAKE it go as much as you can tolerate, and slowly you'll gain your range back. The more you bend the easier it gets. Also, muscles are meant to be used, so when they aren't being used you're going to lose the muscle. Keep in mind it will be alot easier to build back than it usually is to build muscle.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2008
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I broke the neck of my femur while running in a freak accident and had screws put in. It's been 6 months now and there isn't any healing. They have no idea why because I am young, but I just started with a bone stimulator so hopefully that will help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2008
    • 05:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • yeh i dont really have an answer either but i got hit by a car and broke my femur on 10/17/08 and they put a titanium rod in my leg to its been about 4 weeks since the accident and all the swelling and all that fun stuff went down ive been bending it more and more every week, havent started p.t yet tho and i will be getting the rod out around april. but heres my question, will any of this affect my skateboarding?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 02:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement