Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

swollen lip and numb chin

Posted In: Skin conditions 14 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 7, 2006
  • 04:23 PM

I have from time to time experienced my lips swelling and my chin going numb. I have been to the doctor and the dentist and they don't have a clue what would be causing this problem. Any ideas??

Reply Flag this Discussion

14 Replies:

• PattyI have a similar problem. It comes and goes almost daily. It moves from the top lip to bottom to left and right. Seems to be only one of those locations at a time. It's under the skin..just seems like a fat lip to others.I tried to eliminate allergies to food etc. That doesn't seem to work. I'm 66 and this never happened before about a year ago.Have you gotten any further diagnosis? ThanxRichard Yessianthebronx40@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2006
    • 10:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi Richard and Patty,Two weeks ago I had a viral chest infection and took a medication called Astraforte (herbal remedy) for 24 hours 2.5mls three times a day. The next morning I woke with a swollen numb bottom lip (right side only), plus a numb chin. I immediately assumed I was allergic to the herbal remedy and discontinued its use. However this morning I have woken again with the same swollen lip and numb chin as before and am unsure what has caused it. Perhaps I have triggered an allergic reaction to something that I was not allergic too before? Did either of you eat or drink anything that you hadn't previously that could have triggered your reactions? If it is a reaction at all?? Perplexed!!Deb
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 01:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This evening I began to notice a slight sore spot on the left side of my chin and it seemed to itch too. Now my bottom lip is swollen inside and out and the inside seems to itch and hurt. My chin is one big swollen mass. What can this be
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2006
    • 02:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • this last few days my lips is also swollen...it comes out in the afternoon then when i woke in the morning...then my lips was swollen again and again...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 22, 2006
    • 01:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • my lips are swollen too....always when I wake up. I don't have a numb chin. I was put on pregnazone(sp?) after my lips continued to swell and developed tiny white bumps. They cleared up on the medication but after two days of being off Preg. I woke up with swollen lips again. I've been consuming nothing but water crackers and chicken broth and water for 3 days and my lips continue to swell. I also washed all of my bed linens, towels, and clothing with free detergent...I'm using no makeups and have only been applying aquafore to my painful lips for reliefe. But my lips continue to swell. I have no STD's and I am not on any medication. I don't get it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2007
    • 06:25 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've woke up two times in the last month with an extremely swollen chin. The first time I thought it was because I had plucked a few hairs on my chin the night before. This time, I didn't do anything. My chin is also broken out. It's very hard and very itchy. Numb though.If it's like this tomorrow morning, I'm going to call the Dr. It literally feels like there is a ball in my chin and I can move it back and forth.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 05:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i'm 15 and this has happened twice. i wake up and my lip is a little swollen and withen the hour it takes over my cheeks and chin. all you have to do is take benadryl usually 50 mg every 6 hours. and ask your doctor to prescribe a low dose of steroids. by the next day it should all be gone but your lip will be a little tender.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's most likely angioedema. I suffer from it and it causes my lip to itch and swell for no reason. But it can also cause swelling of the eyes, ears, chin and inside the mouth, tongue, cheeks etc. (I have had all these symptoms before) Next time any of you have the symptoms go down to your local hospital emergency room and have a doctor look at it. When it's just my lip that swells I take a couple of benadryl and wait for the swelling to go down. it itches but it goes away usually within 3 hours.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 1, 2008
    • 06:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I noticed about a month ago that the left side of my bottom lip was swollen. Nothing sore nor had I been injured in my lip area. Then about 3 days ago I also began feeling my chin numb.I haven't ate or tried anything new to be am allergy. Did anyone find out anything on their posts yet?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2008
    • 06:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Same as everyone else, I get a swollen lip every week at least once. Sometimes top lip, sometimes bottom lip, usally one side or the other. Never the same. It gets puffy like a fat lip. nad sometimes my chin and tongue feel it on the same side the lip is swollen. I take benedryl everytime. I am wondering what is causing these bizarre symptoms. I also get hives in different parts of the body, also about once a week but benedryl also takes care of them within a few hours. Will I live this way forever?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2010
    • 10:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'll join the list of people with swollen lips and chins. I experienced my first episode with a swollen chin this morning. Prior to that it's been the sporadic lip swelling, usually on the left or right side of my lower lip. I take benadryl for it when I can but it makes me sleepy at work. Are any of you prone to "cold sores?" I always got them as a kid and they have subsided greatly in my later years (I'm a 61 year old male), but I wonder if this has something to do with this. My lip swelling just started in late 2009.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I'll join the list of people with swollen lips and chins. I experienced my first episode with a swollen chin this morning. Prior to that it's been the sporadic lip swelling, usually on the left or right side of my lower lip. I take benadryl for it when I can but it makes me sleepy at work. Are any of you prone to "cold sores?" I always got them as a kid and they have subsided greatly in my later years (I'm a 61 year old male), but I wonder if this has something to do with this. My lip swelling just started in late 2009.my advice is to go to the Dr. when this happens. I don't want to freak out anybody, but I've been doing some reading and these symptoms are often associated with metastatic cancer.
  • I agree with the last comment I was diagnosed with Birkitts Lymphoma Stage 4B cancer on 4/29/10 and this was one of my symptoms bottom lip numb and tingling sinuses draining even with claratin and sudafed and benadryl.curenttly going thru chemo treatments.don't be fooled by this you need to have blood work done and checked for cancer it is survivable when caught early enough.
  • My swelling happens fairly randomly. At first I thought it was wine, then peanuts, and now I don't know what. The scary part is that it strikes one part of my face and then every day thereafter, another. For example, the left eye, then the forehead, then the right eye, then the upper lip, then the chin, and then gone. Sometimes I look like a monster and find it hard to work. I take Allegra double dose which seems to help, but has a very delayed effect (in the morning I take it and by late afternoon, I look half way presentable). I have been looking for an allergist but when I enquire through a fairly large social network, everyone complains bitterly about the worthlessness of their allergist! Any ideas?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement